Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Whether you like Trump or not, you have to laugh

Trump signing Bibles is heinous and stupid on so many levels. 

That point aside, John Oliver is the poster child for TDS and one super annoying focker.

3 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Trump signing Bibles is heinous and stupid on so many levels. 

That point aside, John Oliver is the poster child for TDS and one super annoying focker.

I like to watch a little bit of everything. This part made us crack up while watching last night

yeah, evangelicals have lost all credibility. Not that they had much in the first place. But remember during the Clinton years they were all about the Moral Majority and being holier-than-thou? And Newt Gingrich was all over it? And he was a hero of the Pat Robertson crowd? Of course, it has since been revealed by Newt himself mind you, that at the same time he was bashing Trump for Adultery, Gingrich was a Serial adulterer.

Fast forward to Trump. And no even semi-decent Christian would Embrace much less endorse Trump. But the fundies and evangelicos have done exactly that.

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

yeah, evangelicals have lost all credibility. Not that they had much in the first place. But remember during the Clinton years they were all about the Moral Majority and being holier-than-thou? And Newt Gingrich was all over it? And he was a hero of the Pat Robertson crowd? Of course, it has since been revealed by Newt himself mind you, that at the same time he was bashing Trump for Adultery, Gingrich was a Serial adulterer.

Fast forward to Trump. And no even semi-decent Christian would Embrace much less endorse Trump. But the fundies and evangelicos have done exactly that.

They haven't lost all credibility.  Christianity is NOT about being a perfect person.  What separates Christianity from Judaism is the concept of forgiveness.  What that means is, as a Christian, you can screw up really badly and still be forgiven. Under Christianity, a guy like Newt can screw up but he gets another chance.   I mean, way to miss the entire point of a religion.  Maybe you are thinking of Islam where if you screw up, they cut your head off.

29 minutes ago, riversco said:

They haven't lost all credibility.  Christianity is NOT about being a perfect person.  What separates Christianity from Judaism is the concept of forgiveness.  What that means is, as a Christian, you can screw up really badly and still be forgiven. Under Christianity, a guy like Newt can screw up but he gets another chance.   I mean, way to miss the entire point of a religion.  Maybe you are thinking of Islam where if you screw up, they cut your head off.

The issue isn't about forgiveness, it's about double standards. If you are on the opposite end of the spectrum politically or ideologically they will take the moral high ground and attack you. On the other hand, if you are useful to them, they will look the other way and gloss over those same sins. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

The issue isn't about forgiveness, it's about double standards. If you are on the opposite end of the spectrum politically or ideologically they will take the moral high ground and attack you. On the other hand, if you are useful to them, they will look the other way and gloss over those same sins. 

:thumbsup:

Everyone in this thread is wrong.  There's nowhere to begin or end.  Simply put... EVERY religion (and organization), has their group of extremists, be it one end or the other, and they make up about 10% (if even that much), of the membership.  The problem is that the world only hears about those on each end of the spectrum because they're the ones making the most noise.  Just because you have a portion of you group believing one way, it doesn't mean that they "are the voice" or the majority of that group.

:lol:

The pope just said Trump’s border wall is not Christian and Trump - being the most baitable little girl on Twitter - immediately had to say attacking the Vatican is Isis’ ultimate goal and the pope would be glad Trump is president if that happened and it was disgraceful for the pope to attack his Christianity.

American evangelicals won’t care.

I like dJohn Oliver..I wish he wouldn't do what every other talk host does and make it a constant Trump bash fest, that gets old..But some of his stuff can be pretty good

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

I like dJohn Oliver..I wish he wouldn't do what every other talk host does and make it a constant Trump bash fest, that gets old..But some of his stuff can be pretty good

Agreed. He didn't do much Trump this week, only the funny stuff.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

I don't know how you can call it a constant. In fact, the part about his show I like best is the non Trump stuff. He does some serious deep Dives that I wish more people would listen to. For example, I learned all about the insular cases clause from him. Talk about some -up jurisprudence. It should have been eliminated a long time ago. Even the presiding judge in scotus said so when he wrote his opinion.

and Samantha Bee then their country shitt stinks too. Jim Jefferies at least understands that I guess. But if you look at say prison terms in Canada and the UK? It's a joke. Ours may be too long, but there's are way too short. That's just an example. Maybe focus on your own fuucking country before coming over here and making a billion dollars criticizing ours.

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

I don't know how you can call it a constant. In fact, the part about his show I like best is the non Trump stuff. He does some serious deep Dives that I wish more people would listen to. For example, I learned all about the insular cases clause from him. Talk about some -up jurisprudence. It should have been eliminated a long time ago. Even the presiding judge in scotus said so when he wrote his opinion.

and Samantha Bee then their country shitt stinks too. Jim Jefferies at least understands that I guess. But if you look at say prison terms in Canada and the UK? It's a joke. Ours may be too long, but there's are way too short. That's just an example. Maybe focus on your own fuucking country before coming over here and making a billion dollars criticizing ours.

Ok I can't call it constant..I don't watch as much as I used to.   And I agree, his segment on Brexit taught me a lot about that whole turd sandwich--like I said..i do like the guy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

OrangeManDumb

yup

I thought the bible stuff was a bit meh but it picked up steam.  The Puerto Rico part was :lol:

When Trump was talking about running for president, wasn't Oliver the guy who was screeching "Do it!! Do it!!" getting uproarious laughter from his sheep. It's amazing how hell bent that dude is on one single, really getting old, narrative.

10 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Who is "they"?  Are you saying Catholic church leaders are doing this, or random christians?  If its the latter, well, we can say that about any group.

Leaders in the Evangelical community, for example many of the ones who signed on to Trump's evangelical board but were leaders of the outrage against Clinton. As for the Catholic Church, well you can just look at today's news for their hypocrisy...demanding an apology from Pete Davidson for a joke comparing the Catholic Church to R Kelly (yeah, the one who needs to apologize there is definitely the comedian, not the organization that protected child abusers for decades).

3 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Leaders in the Evangelical community, for example many of the ones who signed on to Trump's evangelical board but were leaders of the outrage against Clinton. As for the Catholic Church, well you can just look at today's news for their hypocrisy...demanding an apology from Pete Davidson for a joke comparing the Catholic Church to R Kelly (yeah, the one who needs to apologize there is definitely the comedian, not the organization that protected child abusers for decades).

R. Kelly?  WHAT? 

So you're saying you don't understand the christian concept of forgiveness?  OK, let me explain.  The way it works is

1.  The person asks for forgiveness

2. The person is forgiven.

Are you saying R. Kelly asked for forgiveness?  Are you saying SNL asked for forgiveness? 

I know New Gingrich asked for forgiveness.  I'm not sure about SNL and R. Kelly.

Just because you don't understand christian teachings doesn't make them hypocrites.

3 minutes ago, riversco said:

R. Kelly?  WHAT? 

So you're saying you don't understand the christian concept of forgiveness?  OK, let me explain.  The way it works is

1.  The person asks for forgiveness

2. The person is forgiven.

Are you saying R. Kelly asked for forgiveness?  Are you saying SNL asked for forgiveness? 

I know New Gingrich asked for forgiveness.  I'm not sure about SNL and R. Kelly.

Just because you don't understand christian teachings doesn't make them hypocrites.

Oh lord, what a tangent you ran off on. The Catholic Church covered up mass child molestations for decades and has the nerve to demand an apology for someone calling them out on it. That has nothing to do with forgiveness. Also, the only way your forgiveness argument works with Trump is if he actually asked for it. At what point have you EVER heard Donald Trump admit he was wrong, apologize, or ask for forgiveness (on practically any matter)?

4 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Oh lord, what a tangent you ran off on. The Catholic Church covered up mass child molestations for decades and has the nerve to demand an apology for someone calling them out on it. That has nothing to do with forgiveness. Also, the only way your forgiveness argument works with Trump is if he actually asked for it. At what point have you EVER heard Donald Trump admit he was wrong, apologize, or ask for forgiveness (on practically any matter)?

Oh are we on that tangent again?

You DO realize there are child molesters in every walk of life and they are all getting covered up.  There's plenty from the Hollywood film industry to politicians.  There are even plenty of child molestors in public school that are covered up.  Why single out the Church?  And don't tell me because they are holier than thou because let me tell you Hollywood acts more holier than thou than anyone these days.  Hollywood thinks it is the conscience of the world.

Oh my god, you are now saying that they aren't hypocrites for demanding an apology on a molestation joke because "well, they aren't the ONLY ones who allowed child molesting!"

1 minute ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Oh my god, you are now saying that they aren't hypocrites for demanding an apology on a molestation joke because "well, they aren't the ONLY ones who allowed child molesting!"

No.  I'm not.  But you're getting everything else wrong, why not get that wrong too.

Lets recap. My initial post pointed out that American religious leaders often will give a pass to politicians who are politically convenient to them, even if they railed against someone on the other side of the aisle for committing similar acts (see: Clinton, Bill and Trump, Donald). You tried to blow it off by talking about the concept of forgiveness (without any reason to actually support the idea that Trump sought out forgiveness.)

My second argument pointed out the Catholic Church for being hypocrites and demanding apologies for someone making a joke that referenced a very real sin their organization committed. Your response to that was:

"You DO realize there are child molesters in every walk of life and they are all getting covered up.  There's plenty from the Hollywood film industry to politicians.  There are even plenty of child molestors in public school that are covered up.  Why single out the Church?"

What point do you even think you are making? This is like trying to argue with someone who wants to be Recliner Pilot, but Recliner Pilot you are not.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MDC said:

The pope just said Trump’s border wall is not Christian and Trump - being the most baitable little girl on Twitter - immediately had to say attacking the Vatican is Isis’ ultimate goal and the pope would be glad Trump is president if that happened and it was disgraceful for the pope to attack his Christianity.

American evangelicals won’t care.

Doesn't the Vatican have walls all the way around it... I mean just saying.

And of course the pope says that, seeing as how the hispanics (and their Filipino cousins) are a massive chunk of the people on Earth who still give a fock about the catholic church.

39 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Doesn't the Vatican have walls all the way around it... I mean just saying.

And of course the pope says that, seeing as how the hispanics (and their Filipino cousins) are a massive chunk of the people on Earth who still give a fock about the catholic church.

if you want to educate yourself, the Vatican and some of its most pristine and sacred buildings are currently housing Syrian refugees.

meanwhile, we have literally millions of square feet of military bases and other empty Federal buildings.

Meanwhile, the Saudis have an entire city for their annual Hajj. And if you happen to not be a Muslim and take the wrong turn off on the highway? There's a special Squad who'll Machine Gun you and your family to death strictly for taking the wrong off ramp.  but Trump and his son-in-law are trying to sell them nuclear facilities.

And to make it a little bit more local for you? The Chinese have literally hundreds of thousands of empty and unused housing units that have never seen a single resident. I'm sure you've read about that though.

I'm just saying. And since you brought it up? The Vatican is literally the world's smallest nation state. And it currently houses more Syrian refugees than all of America. Think about that.

6 hours ago, riversco said:

No.  I'm not.  But you're getting everything else wrong, why not get that wrong too.

Tslk about getting it wrong dickweed. How about judge not lest ye be judged? How about worrying about the beam in your own eye before worrying about the Splinter in another's? And I'm just getting warmed up.

Go back to the self-righteous speeches on the floor of the Senate and the house and coming from Falwell and Robertson and focus on the family Etc during the Clinton administration. Now compare that to Donald Trump on his best day.

8 hours ago, riversco said:

Oh are we on that tangent again?

You DO realize there are child molesters in every walk of life and they are all getting covered up.  There's plenty from the Hollywood film industry to politicians.  There are even plenty of child molestors in public school that are covered up.  Why single out the Church?  And don't tell me because they are holier than thou because let me tell you Hollywood acts more holier than thou than anyone these days.  Hollywood thinks it is the conscience of the world.

Maybe its because the church is supposedly composed of godly men, who exist, according to the church, to provide a conduit between men and god? Maybe them being kiddie diddlers feels like more of a violation of trust than a politician or a movie director?