Sign in to follow this  
BiffTannen

Cincinnati Reds: 2020 Edition

The Reds are fresh off a 3 game sweep of the Houston Astros with lots of momentum heading into a big 4 game series with the Milwaukee Brewers tonight. After the awful 1-8 start they are 33-30 since that period and are poised to make some noise in the NL central. 

6/20 - @ Milwaukee 

Tanner Roark going up against Jimmy Nelson 

Early line: Reds +130

• Thanks 1

Hmmm .... so Mike made his first appearance in the Geek Club in months.... then a certain poster with controversial views and a Cincinnati Reds avatar went missing.... then a new account appears talking about the Reds.

Where's Alias Detective to investigate?

(edit: nevermind, bostonlager still has an account, I'll return my Private Investigator's license to the cereal box I found it in. Carry one)

29 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Hmmm .... so Mike made his first appearance in the Geek Club in months.... then a certain poster with controversial views and a Cincinnati Reds avatar went missing.... then a new account appears talking about the Reds.

Where's Alias Detective to investigate?

(edit: nevermind, bostonlager still has an account, I'll return my Private Investigator's license to the cereal box I found it in. Carry one)

I know that guy. He will be back in 27 days. 

Idk, the Reds just lost a (home) series to my Rangers..............and we suck.

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Idk, the Reds just lost a (home) series to my Rangers..............and we suck.

After Saturday night we were down and out for sure and thinking this team was going to roll over and die. Since then they have ripped off 4 straight including a sweep over Houston. Would be awesome to take 3 of 4 from the Brewers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

After Saturday night we were down and out for sure and thinking this team was going to roll over and die. Since then they have ripped off 4 straight including a sweep over Houston. Would be awesome to take 3 of 4 from the Brewers. 

I do love interleague play though.. Was great to see the Reds and the throwback unis.

Great road win to open up a series in Milwaukee 7-1 which extends the winning streak to 5 games. :pointstosky:

Nick Senzel 2-4, 3 RBI :thumbsup:

Joey Votto still the highest paid 2-hole hitter in the history of the world. :thumbsdown:

6/21 - Game 2 of a 4 game set with the Brewers

Sonny Gray vs Chase Anderson 

• Like 1

So the Reds get their own thread now? That probably hasn't happened since the 70's. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So the Reds get their own thread now? That probably hasn't happened since the 70's. 

Probably happened in 1990 too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

Probably happened in 1990 too. 

Nah. One hit wonder. But O'Neill nailing Ricky at third was sweet. 

Run differential is a great predictor of success.  The top teams in run differential are great bets to make the playoffs.  The Reds stood out all year long because they had a very positive run differential yet they were somehow in last place.  At the moment, they are tied for 3rd in run differential in the NL. 

1. Dodgers +127

2. Cubs +66

3. Reds +47

3. Diamondbacks +47

5. Braves +45

The Reds have allowed the 2nd fewest runs in MLB (266).  First is the Rays (265).  3rd is the Dodgers (273).

AL run differential leaders:

1. Twins +107

2. Astros +95

3. Yankees +93

4. Rays +79

5. Red Sox +55

However, the team with the best run differential has only won 2 AL pennants in the last 10 years (2009 yankees, 2013 red sox) and 4 NL pennants in the last 10 years (2013 cardinals, 2016 cubs, 2017 dodgers, 2018 dodgers) .  So it just goes random once the playoffs begin.

• Like 1

They broke out the bats last night to extend the winning streak to 6 games. I hear they maybe in the market for another bat in the lineup before the deadline. It’s been awhile since the Red Legs were buyers at this point in the season. 

• Like 1

There's a thread for baseball already. Check it out! 

I guess you can’t win them all. Reds score 3 in the top of the 1st for the third consecutive game but fall 6-5. A win tomorrow will be huge to take 3 of 4. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I guess you can’t win them all. Reds score 3 in the top of the 1st for the third consecutive game but fall 6-5. A win tomorrow will be huge to take 3 of 4. 

Ain't gonna' happen.  Brewers have been in a funk but today they broke out of it.  Expect them to take tomorrow's game handily.  You can take that to the bank.  ;)

10 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Ain't gonna' happen.  Brewers have been in a funk but today they broke out of it.  Expect them to take tomorrow's game handily.  You can take that to the bank.  ;)

Line makers in agreement with you. Brewers at -189

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, BiffTannen said:

I know that guy. He will be back in 27 days. 

I'm not trying to imply anything, but you both are relatively hairy guys, yet you have immaculate butt wholes.  🤔

Sonny Gray may be your NL CY winner 

:overhead:

Best 1-3 starters in all of MLB. This could be a deep run for the guys in red. 

BRAVES WIN!

Freddie Freeman comes through in the 13th inning giving the Braves a 1-0 walk-off winning run!

Braves lead 1-0 in a best of 3 series!!!

19 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

That was 5 hours wasted. 

I know it isn't over, but I quite enjoyed it...

21 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Double Boom!!!!!!!

Braves lead 5-0 bottom of the 8th!  :banana:

Goodbye Reds

:banana:

Teams that have the best run differential in their league have a pretty decent chance to win the pennant.  Teams that enter the playoffs winning at least 8 of their last 10 games also have an elevated chance of winning the pennant.  Both the Rays and Dodgers checked those boxes entering the playoffs.  That's not a guarantee, it just makes them great favorites.

21 minutes ago, riversco said:

Teams that have the best run differential in their league have a pretty decent chance to win the pennant.  Teams that enter the playoffs winning at least 8 of their last 10 games also have an elevated chance of winning the pennant.  Both the Rays and Dodgers checked those boxes entering the playoffs.  That's not a guarantee, it just makes them great favorites.

That and both of them are #1 seeds...

47 minutes ago, posty said:

That and both of them are #1 seeds...

Teams that won a sort of triple crown:  #1 seed, best RD in their league, and won at least 8 of their last 10:

2020 Rays: ???
2020 Dodgers: ???
2019 Astros: won pennant
2017 Dodgers: won pennant
2013 Cardinals: won pennant

2020 is the first year in the 21st century that two teams qualify.

Teams that entered playoffs winning at least 9 of their last 10:

2019 Nationals: won world series
2018 Brewers: lost NLCS in 7 games to Dodgers
2013 Indians: lost wild card game to Rays (just a one game playoff and not a series)
2011 Rangers: lost world series in 7 games to Cardinals
2007 Rockies: lost world series in 4 games to Red Sox
2006 Dodgers: lost division series in 3 games to Mets
2004 Astros: lost NLCS in 7 games to Cardinals
2002 Giants: lost world series in 7 games to Angels

1 won the world series
4 won pennants
That's hitting at a 50% clip for pennants, higher if you throw out the Indians loss which was not a series.  Two others went 7 in the NLCS.  Pretty nuts.  Its like talent doesn't matter in baseball, its about being red hot at the end.

25 minutes ago, riversco said:

Its like talent doesn't matter in baseball, its about being red hot at the end.

Totally correct...

Ohio Woes:

Reds are now streaking at 0-6 in elimination games.  The last time they won an elimination game was game 7 of the 1975 world series vs the Red Sox.  The Reds have lost their last 4 playoff series.  They have not won a playoff series since a 3-0 sweep of the Dodgers in the 1995 NLDS.  The Reds have lost their last 6 playoff games. The Reds have lost their last 6 home playoff games.  The Reds' last home playoff win was game 3 of the 1995 NLDS vs the Dodgers.

The Indians are now streaking at 0-9 in elimination games.  The last time they won an elimination game was game 6 of the 1997 world series vs the Marlins.  The Indians have lost their last 4 playoff series.  They have not won a playoff series since a 4-1 win over the Blue Jays in the 2016 ALCS.  The Indians have lost their last 8 playoff games.  The Indians have lost their last 4 home playoff games.  The Indians last home playoff win was game 2 of the 2017 ALDS vs the Yankees.

Only 1 team has ever swept the postseason:  The 1976 Reds.  They won the NLCS 3-0 over the Phillies and the World Series 4-0 over the Yankees.

Currently the Dodgers and Braves have both swept the first 2 rounds and face each other in the NLCS. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, riversco said:

Teams that won a sort of triple crown:  #1 seed, best RD in their league, and won at least 8 of their last 10:

2020 Rays: ???
2020 Dodgers: ???
2019 Astros: won pennant
2017 Dodgers: won pennant
2013 Cardinals: won pennant

2020 is the first year in the 21st century that two teams qualify.

Teams that entered playoffs winning at least 9 of their last 10:

2019 Nationals: won world series
2018 Brewers: lost NLCS in 7 games to Dodgers
2013 Indians: lost wild card game to Rays (just a one game playoff and not a series)
2011 Rangers: lost world series in 7 games to Cardinals
2007 Rockies: lost world series in 4 games to Red Sox
2006 Dodgers: lost division series in 3 games to Mets
2004 Astros: lost NLCS in 7 games to Cardinals
2002 Giants: lost world series in 7 games to Angels

1 won the world series
4 won pennants
That's hitting at a 50% clip for pennants, higher if you throw out the Indians loss which was not a series.  Two others went 7 in the NLCS.  Pretty nuts.  Its like talent doesn't matter in baseball, its about being red hot at the end.

Both the Rays and Dodgers won pennants, so the triple crown rule is still perfect this century!

Opening day wagers

Toronto ml +162

Atlanta ml -105

Arizona ml +193

If the playoffs started today :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

If the playoffs started today :thumbsup:

One of my best friends lives in Loveland and gets tickets all the time to the games. One of his students fathers plays for the Reds. Another plays for the soccer team and the me plays for the Bengals. He got hired at one of those nice ass private schools. He’s turned into a big Reds fan now and goes to their games almost every week