Sign in to follow this  
GuidingLight

Best fish You enjoy?

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, GobbleDog said:

Listening to NPR radio a few months later...  "Want the easiest food to cook? Try salmon! Can't undercook, can't overcook!"  

It's hard to overcook farm-raised salmon because it tends to be so thick and fat. However, the wild salmon is thinner and seems to be naturally dry. It's easy to overcook, imo.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, peenie said:

It's hard to overcook farm-raised salmon because it tends to be so thick and fat. However, the wild salmon is thinner and seems to be naturally dry. It's easy to overcook, imo.

:thumbsup:

Didn't think of it that way, but it makes perfect sense.

Mick Mars: The illusive fish in the pantyhose that no one can seem to find. Brah!!!

On 9/12/2019 at 8:44 AM, Bier Meister said:

very few fish i stay away from... i cannot have full portions of salmon (a few bites are fine)

don't love swordfish (easy to overcook)

love shellfish

sole

ahi

monchong (pomfret)

snapper

trout

bass

Sounded familiar 

The best fish I ever had was sturgeon, at a SF restaurant. I love walleye and barramundi. I caught a 96 pound Bluefin tuna. I gave a lot of the meat away to neighbors, but kept a single piece, about the size of a loaf of bread for myself. That was the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

Sounded familiar 

I must of been on long term timeout since I didn’t post in this thread. 

On the radio the other day they were debating tilapia and it’s bottom feeding stigma. A noted NY chef said Tilapia from China is no good - best tilapia is imported fresh from Honduras. Said never to buy frozen tilapia-

Chef Bier ? Your thoughts

• Like 1

I avoid it.  It is inexpensive and often used for fish tacos. He is not wrong about Asian tilapia 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:45 AM, GuidingLight said:

salt garlic, lemon n pepper ~ salmon ~ her fav,showed me cook at a caming n home. Liked smoking them best. a Rock in fish.     

Try anything of your favs. :)

My favorite fish is one with a water-tight azzhole

When I go home to Erie all I want is Yellow Perch and Walleye from Lake Erie and local Italian food.

Here in Savannah my favorites are redfish, trout and sometimes flounder that I can catch off my dock certain times of year.

Some of the offshore fishermen will trade me local fresh fish when they come in for a shark tooth.    When I get back from diving and see someone cleaning fish at the marina I always go over and show them some of the teeth I just found.  If they ask how much they are I propose a trade.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

When I go home to Erie all I want is Yellow Perch and Walleye from Lake Erie and local Italian food.

Here in Savannah my favorites are redfish, trout and sometimes flounder that I can catch off my dock certain times of year.

Some of the offshore fishermen will trade me local fresh fish when they come in for a shark tooth.    When I get back from diving and see someone cleaning fish at the marina I always go over and show them some of the teeth I just found.  If they ask how much they are I propose a trade.

/thread

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

dilapidated taliapa

Kind of a funny story.  There is a seafood restaurant on the water in Richmond Hill right near Savannah.  They are just ok but they advertise they have local seafood.  They do have local shrimp and usually some  catch of the day that could be local but probably is not like Mahi or Grouper.  But when you ask what is in the fish basket they always say Tilapia.  So once I asked the waitress "Is that local?"  She answered excitedly YES!!! We get it at the Richmond Hill Seafood Market.  We all still get a good laugh at that.  

• Haha 1

Used to love salmon. But the last few times, really don't.

I'd like to try eating a mermaid. But that sounds really challenging.

7 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Used to love salmon. But the last few times, really don't.

I think Tom Hanks did that once.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, wiffleball said:

chicken of the sea.