Sign in to follow this  
MissionCoach

Not able to watch the game tonight - Is Mike Evans playing??? WTF?

He beat the DB on a corner route in the endzone and had the ball go just off his fingers.  Caught a bomb on the sidelines a couple series later.  The Bucs are looking to the run heavily, especially with the wet field,  and it's a close game so far so it's probably more of the same in the 2nd half.

Here's hoping for another 60+ and a TD or two, tho!!

I drafted in the two hole and got Barkley. At 23 Evans was there and had to do it, but I really wanted Godwin later. I'm already regretting it. 

46 minutes ago, Jedi Sensei said:

He beat the DB on a corner route in the endzone and had the ball go just off his fingers.  Caught a bomb on the sidelines a couple series later.  The Bucs are looking to the run heavily, especially with the wet field,  and it's a close game so far so it's probably more of the same in the 2nd half.

And he was just targeted in EZ twice on last drive.  I know it must be frustrating considering where Evans was likely drafted,  but Winson is looking for him in RZ, just missing him.

Winston blows. Bad enough I've got to watch this clown Jerome Boger ruin a perfectly good football game. 

3 hours ago, eagles115 said:

Evans is toast. Godwin is definitely the wr to own

Again I don't know if I'd say 'toast', but to your point about Godwin,  thru two games: (admittedly small sample size)

Evans 13trgts/6recs/89yds/0tds

Godwin 15trgts/11recs/174yds/2tds

Winston did look for Evans in EZ 3-4 times so his numbers could definitely have looked better, thing is so could have Godwin's. The 1 target Thu night that wasn't a rec for Godwin, he actually caught for like 40yds, but landed just out of bounds.

Evans will be mostly fine. I traded him for this reason, because I don't trust Winston. Evans will still have some really good games, but it's just going to be a bit up and down

I've had him since his rookie year in a keeper.  I absolutely hate him, but my team's so bad i'm always forced to keep him.  

This is who he is.  Next week hell go 7-130 3 TDs, and his 3 week total doesn't look bad.  Meanwhile, he's now cost me 2 wins.  Winston is so bad though, he may just go 3-50 every game.  Add in the fact that he's slow and charmin soft.  I'm seriously thinking about dropping him.  I just can't take it anymore.  

33 minutes ago, Gratefulegg1973 said:

I've had him since his rookie year in a keeper.  I absolutely hate him, but my team's so bad i'm always forced to keep him.  

This is who he is.  Next week hell go 7-130 3 TDs, and his 3 week total doesn't look bad.  Meanwhile, he's now cost me 2 wins.  Winston is so bad though, he may just go 3-50 every game.  Add in the fact that he's slow and charmin soft.  I'm seriously thinking about dropping him.  I just can't take it anymore.  

How did Evans cost you a second game already? 

Thursday Night football is the stupidest thing ever.  Plus they put the Bucs on national TV?  Good luck.

• Like 1

Evans is still Evans, but Winston has looked absolutely horrible through the first two games.  In the drafts over the final few days leading up to Week One, Winston was being taken off the board as the 7th and 8th QB.  Everyone bought the preseason hype and he was no longer considered a sleeper.  Maybe he will turn things around, but so far, the people that drafted him & Evans as a combo aren't doing so well.  I tend to think the Bucs would be better off not winning and nabbing another QB in the next draft.  Arians gets a TON of credit, but the guy has worked with Big Ben, Luck and Palmer.  Not exactly three types anywhere near as far down the food chain as Winston.  They were all good with and without Arians too.  I still think he's a great offensive mind, but the talk of him being a QB whisperer was pure bunk.  Who needs a QB "guru" with those three QB's?!  I'll determine my thoughts on him by what he can do with Winston, his first true reclamation project. 

32 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Evans is still Evans, but Winston has looked absolutely horrible through the first two games.  In the drafts over the final few days leading up to Week One, Winston was being taken off the board as the 7th and 8th QB.  Everyone bought the preseason hype and he was no longer considered a sleeper.  Maybe he will turn things around, but so far, the people that drafted him & Evans as a combo aren't doing so well.  I tend to think the Bucs would be better off not winning and nabbing another QB in the next draft.  Arians gets a TON of credit, but the guy has worked with Big Ben, Luck and Palmer.  Not exactly three types anywhere near as far down the food chain as Winston.  They were all good with and without Arians too.  I still think he's a great offensive mind, but the talk of him being a QB whisperer was pure bunk.  Who needs a QB "guru" with those three QB's?!  I'll determine my thoughts on him by what he can do with Winston, his first true reclamation project. 

Winston looked straight up scared to me when they were doing pre-snap closeups of him behind center.  And then he sounded like (he was less than smart/charismatic) when they had him "mic'ed up" and he was trying to motivate his team on the sideline.

i'm beyond baffled that the new regime put so many eggs in his basket.  there's just NO WAY, imho, he can be the leader of a successful franchise

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

To clarify I wouldn't say he the looked horrible last night. Don't get me wrong, he didn't look great, but...he had like a 130 passer rating through first half, finishing about 100 for game.  It really was the offense with numerous false starts that often killed drives. His numbers were efficient, if not FF great, and he took care of the ball.  WTS, from eyeball test though, when he did miss, he often missed badly either b/c just a poor pass or he threw to wrong spot.  

I've never thought Winston would ever be a leader and not a great QB either, even w/Arians.  i did admittedly, think he could put up FF numbers based on volume, remember being a good FF QB, does not mean you necessarily have to be a good NFL QB (of course it helps, but not required).  I do have Godwin based on that thinking and working out for me now, we'll see how season goes.  Key for me though is Godwin def getting looks from Winston and got him  relatively cheap.  I feel for Evans owners, think he's still a hold since he's also at least getting looks overall and in RZ with Winston, but the cost for many was relatively high.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NAn said:

To clarify I wouldn't say he the looked horrible last night. Don't get me wrong, he didn't look great, but...he had like a 130 passer rating through first half, finishing about 100 for game.  It really was the offense with numerous false starts that often killed drives. His numbers were efficient, if not FF great, and he took care of the ball.  WTS, from eyeball test though, when he did miss, he often missed badly either b/c just a poor pass or he threw to wrong spot.  

I've never thought Winston would ever be a leader and not a great QB either, even w/Arians.  i did admittedly, think he could put up FF numbers based on volume, remember being a good FF QB, does not mean you necessarily have to be a good NFL QB (of course it helps, but not required).  I do have Godwin based on that thinking and working out for me now, we'll see how season goes.  Key for me though is Godwin def getting looks from Winston and got him  relatively cheap.  I feel for Evans owners, think he's still a hold since he's also at least getting looks overall and in RZ with Winston, but the cost for many was relatively high.

He finished the game with a 103 QB rating, which isn't bad.  The issue I have with those ratings though are if a QB has over a 60% completion ratio and no interceptions, that number makes them look like a rock star.  He hit 64% of his passes, but he missed on some throws badly. The Panthers defensive line is ok, but their Secondary is flat out bad.  I'd have thought this would be a game he went off for 3 TD's.  The field conditions weren't great though, so I get it. 

I know what you mean about being great in fantasy but not reality.  Bortles sure looked good in garbage time a few years ago.  He was possibly the worst, or at least bottom 3, of the qb's in the NFL.  His second half garbage time numbers though could win a fantasy title.  lol  Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick has some monster games from time to time. 

7 minutes ago, NAn said:

This is exactly it.  Winston is a better fantasy player than an NFL player.  Plus, this is a new system, there is an adjustment period.  Winston, in time, shortly, will be better (for fantasy), and putting up 300 yard / 2+ TD games.  Also, the OL is still God awful.  There isn't always a lot of time (relatively speaking of course), to step up and throw.  

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

He finished the game with a 103 QB rating, which isn't bad.  The issue I have with those ratings though are if a QB has over a 60% completion ratio and no interceptions, that number makes them look like a rock star.  He hit 64% of his passes, but he missed on some throws badly. The Panthers defensive line is ok, but their Secondary is flat out bad.  I'd have thought this would be a game he went off for 3 TD's.  The field conditions weren't great though, so I get it. 

I know what you mean about being great in fantasy but not reality.  Bortles sure looked good in garbage time a few years ago.  He was possibly the worst, or at least bottom 3, of the qb's in the NFL.  His second half garbage time numbers though could win a fantasy title.  lol  Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick has some monster games from time to time. 

You're only looking at one side of things, plus narrowly.  The field was crappy to play on because of the weather.  No matter how bad the defense is, the Tampa offensive line will allow that defense to be at least pretty good.  Winston was never really that good on a deep ball, but a couple he threw were close enough to have been caught and went through the receivers hands.  The 24 yard one to Perriman, in the end zone, comes to mind where all he caught was air.  That was a good pass and Perriman just missed it and they had to settle for a FG (a miss).  That should have been a TD.  There was also the deep pass to Howard (where he got called for a bull crap OPI), where he should have caught that ball.  Instead of a first down around the Carolina 30, it was 2nd 14 on the Tampa 35.  Just those 2 plays alone were worth around 60 yards and a TD.  There were points left on the field last night that weren't Winston's fault.  Was he flawless?  Of course not.  He did make some bad throws and reads, but overall, he played well.

46 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Also, the OL is still God awful.   

Aw man, downright brutal at times.  I cited the false starts killing drives, but Winston often running for his life or couldn't even do that as few times pocket collapsed almost immediately. (Now he had his role too with hanging trying to make a play and getting sacked/hit when he would have been better served throwing it away, but I digress...) On one EZ throw to Evans and the long pass the Godwin he was actually hit right when he threw (surprised he actually got it Godwin at all on that pass) making them just a touch off, otherwise could have added  70ds/another td to his totals

I was actually impressed to a a degree with Leftwich's play calling.  He was often calling up quick throws with just a read or two so Winston could be decisive.  But hard to help your QB when your OL can't run the ball or they put you from a 3rd and 3 to a 3rd and 13 on consecutive false start penalties. Not good percentage for even a very good NFL Qb to get those types of downs/distances.

17 minutes ago, NAn said:

Aw man, downright brutal at times.  I cited the false starts killing drives, but Winston often running for his life or couldn't even do that as few times pocket collapsed almost immediately. (Now he had his role too with hanging trying to make a play and getting sacked/hit when he would have been better served throwing it away, but I digress...) On one EZ throw to Evans and the long pass the Godwin he was actually hit right when he threw (surprised he actually got it Godwin at all on that pass) making them just a touch off, otherwise could have added  70ds/another td to his totals

I was actually impressed to a a degree with Leftwich's play calling.  He was often calling up quick throws with just a read or two so Winston could be decisive.  But hard to help your QB when your OL can't run the ball or they put you from a 3rd and 3 to a 3rd and 13 on consecutive false start penalties. Not good percentage for even a very good NFL Qb to get those types of downs/distances.

Yeah, pretty much spot on.  If this team ever did build a legitimate OLine in front of him, he would actually be a decent QB.  He still makes too many stupid decisions, but who knows, maybe he'd make a lot less if he had a reliable line.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, Baker Boy said:

Carolina Shutdown Evans last year that was why he was on many “sit ‘em” list this week. 

You seem pretty knowledgeable.  Can you start posting this info before the game please?

On 9/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, Baker Boy said:

Carolina Shutdown Evans last year that was why he was on many “sit ‘em” list this week. 

11 hours ago, BufordT said:

You seem pretty knowledgeable.  Can you start posting this info before the game please?

Want more information that would have been better before the game?  It really isn't just "last year" with Evans and Carolina.   In 11 career games against the Panthers, Evans has 45 receptions for 627 yards and 3 TD's.  That fantasy line averages out at 11.4 fpg.  He has only 4 games where he scored at least 13.9 points... failing to hit double digits 5 times.

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Want more information that would have been better before the game?  It really isn't just "last year" with Evans and Carolina.   In 11 career games against the Panthers, Evans has 45 receptions for 627 yards and 3 TD's.  That fantasy line averages out at 11.4 fpg.  He has only 4 games where he scored at least 13.9 points... failing to hit double digits 5 times.

He is just as bad against the Saints as well.

However, he tears up the Falcons....who he won't see until week 12.