Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Hunting

25 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Do you have a local Hunters for the Hungry type organization?  I only keep a small portion of my yearly venison and give the rest to them.  You still have to dress them, but its worth it.

Interesting, never heard of that. Makes sense.  And the deer population throughout the South is ridiculous.  Dangerous too. Scary driving on two-lane highways at night and seeing them jump across the road. I personally know a couple people who've wrecked into them. Maybe it's time to ease hunting restrictions.  Clearly, they aren't endangered. 

Hunting 

Name something Rusty isn't man enough to do.

Any good binocular recommendations?  I’m thinking of getting the Vortex Crossfire 10x42. Looks to be good quality for a good price. 

18 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

And if deer tasted like cow, I'd go. The problem is deer tastes like deer.  There's also my hangup about tracking a wounded/moaning/dying deer for hours if you don't drop it.  And then hauling the carcass back and cleaning it. No thanks.

This.  And if I had a dime for every time I've heard someone say You just haven't cooked it right.  How often have you heard that said about hamburgers?  Never.  And those that get it processed with other normal tasting meats to mask the flavor.  Venison is gross, period.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Any good binocular recommendations?  I’m thinking of getting the Vortex Crossfire 10x42. Looks to be good quality for a good price. 

Get the Crossfire HD. They are badass

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

This.  And if I had a dime for every time I've heard someone say You just haven't cooked it right.  How often have you heard that said about hamburgers?  Never.  And those that get it processed with other normal tasting meats to mask the flavor.  Venison is gross, period.

Yeah, there's no getting away from the gamey taste.  But, depending on how its prepared, makes it much more palatable. I usually make a venison stew in a big stew pot with tons of veggies and tomatoes.  Or, wrap tenderloin medallions in bacon after marinating in 1/2 worchestershire and 1/2 Eye-talian dressing. 

2 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Get the Crossfire HD. They are badass

That’s the plan. My wife’s family owns an archery business and they sell Vortex products. Going to see what price I can get there. They sell for $148 on Amazon right now. 

If you’re a man and don’t like venison then I can’t take you serious. Some majorly babied pallets from some of you. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If you’re a man and don’t like venison then I can’t take you serious. Some majorly babied pallets from some of you. 

I can't fault people for liking what they like. Unless you order an expensive cut of steak well done. That should be against the law.

Also most probably haven't had venison cook properly.

8 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I can't fault people for liking what they like. Unless you order an expensive cut of steak well done. That should be against the law.

Also most probably haven't had venison cook properly.

It makes me wonder if they’ve had back straps before. Most people I know who have tried it said they liked it until they found out it was deer. The thought of it is what throws most people off.

I’ve been watching a lot of MeatEater on Netflix lately. Great show. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It makes me wonder if they’ve had back straps before. Most people I know who have tried it said they liked it until they found out it was deer. The thought of it is what throws most people off.

I’ve been watching a lot of MeatEater on Netflix lately. Great show. 

Most people don't want to know about where their food comes from. They see bacon or steak at the grocery store. They don't see the pig or cow it came from. It's sad in a way.

29 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Most people don't want to know about where their food comes from. They see bacon or steak at the grocery store. They don't see the pig or cow it came from. It's sad in a way.

Very true. The mind gets in the way. It’s why so many people are picky. I use to be that way as a child with a lot of foods but always loved wild game. Something with hunting for my food always appealed to me.

I remember as a teenager I went on a pheasant hunting trip with a friend. His family cooked up a bunch of small pheasant chunks and it was delicious. His uncle then asked me how the Rocky Mountain oysters were. Apparently some of the fried pieces were steer nuts and they tried to surprise me. The thought of knowing what it was threw me off but since I tried it and liked it I’ve always been a fan since. They’re a delicacy now. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Care to share any recipes?

54 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Care to share any recipes?

It’s not my recipe. My in-laws have a great marinade they soak the back straps in overnight. We cook those on the grill till they’re medium-raw and fry up some steer nuts. Perfect. 

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It tastes like sh!t. I've heard the "well, you don't know how to prepare it" sh!t. It's dog food. Elk is delicious, bison is delicious. 

14 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

It tastes like sh!t. I've heard the "well, you don't know how to prepare it" sh!t. It's dog food. Elk is delicious, bison is delicious. 

What part of the deer did you have and how was it prepared?  I ask because it makes a big difference. I have some elk at home and some parts taste much better than others. The burger smells terrible when browning it but tastes fine. The elk brats are great. The elk roast was just ok but I think that’s because of the way it was cooked. I prefer the deer meat  

I plan to make my next batch of chili with elk burger and some pork sausage. 

Two words, jerky.

7 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Have you eaten arab flesh?

4 minutes ago, taco breath said:

Have you eaten arab flesh?

Gay people always eat arab flesh. You should share your love of it to the group. 

I use to hunt back in the early 90's, Had a Buck license and would see a lot of Doe. Just don't have the urge to shoot anything living anymore. I understand it and the thrill of it though. I still dig shooting guns at targets!

On 10/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, Djgb13 said:

Buddy texted me. He took down a 12 point this morning. Gonna give me some of the meat when I head back that way to see my parents this week. Can’t focking wait. 

Lol