Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Darrel Williams RB - Kansas City

Mike,

What are you guys doing about this guy? He could be the ultimate sleeper for this year.

Honestly, I do not see Kansas City putting in a rookie week 1 at running back while they have their franchise invested in the quarterback. 

He’s now a third year player and knows the system. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and he is a monster with great hands.

This could be the biggest surprise of the year!

He’s not even on your running back rankings sheet! 

Yer kiddin', right?

Not only will they Ride Clyde from day one, but Williams is behind Darwin Thompson and Elijah McGuire on the current depth chart as well, and may not even make the team if they keep DeAndre Washington.

Do you rank a lot of teams' RB5s?

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yer kiddin', right?

Not only will they Ride Clyde from day one, but Williams is behind Darwin Thompson and Elijah McGuire on the current depth chart as well, and may not even make the team if they keep DeAndre Washington.

Looks like yet another swing and miss by Axe Elf...

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Chiefs RB Darrel Williams will be Clyde Edwads-Helaire's direct backup to start the season. 

DeAndre Washington, who excelled last season in spot starts for the Raiders, was widely expected to head into the season as Kansas City's RB2, but it appears Williams has seized the job. The third-year back "has been exceptional at every task in the offense" while splitting first-team reps with Edwards-Helaire, according to Taylor. Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy complimented Williams' pass-catching ability and blocking

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Chiefs RB Darrel Williams will be Clyde Edwads-Helaire's direct backup to start the season. 

DeAndre Washington, who excelled last season in spot starts for the Raiders, was widely expected to head into the season as Kansas City's RB2, but it appears Williams has seized the job. The third-year back "has been exceptional at every task in the offense" while splitting first-team reps with Edwards-Helaire, according to Taylor. Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy complimented Williams' pass-catching ability and blocking

not saying you or the article are wrong, but I've seen articles like this in the past that turned out to be just hype.

we wont know until start of year, but if the article is right hes still a backup RB.   likely not draftable in most formats.

I like him as a late round pick. He could see time if CEH isn't picking up pass blocking assignments as well as he should. The last thing KC needs is for CEH to pull a Lawrence Phillips to Mahomes' Steve Young.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

not saying you or the article are wrong, but I've seen articles like this in the past that turned out to be just hype.

we wont know until start of year, but if the article is right hes still a backup RB.   likely not draftable in most formats.

The #2 RB on KC is most certainly draftable, whoever that player ultimately is...

34 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Fine, believe some bozo over Axe Elf, but do so at your own risk.

He thinks the guy's name is "Edwads" for Pete's sake.

Just remember, I was the guy that told everybody about drafting James Connor because I thought L. Bell was viably going to hold out. It won a lot of people their league.   I told people to pick up Connor before the season started. Check the history, I’ve been here since 99.

I could be totally wrong but I think throwing in a rookie running back in week one is crazy when you have Mahomes for your quarterback. Just my hunch.

If Williams is the back up rb, there is no question he’s he’ll be a good late pick up.  

I think you went 1-2 in 2018, I see you also liked K Cole.  

I do not believe CEH will "all" the work - probably 65/35 - D Williams has value and if CEH goes down then D. Williams is a must own

Grabbing the backup RB in that KC offense is a no brainer.  If that guy is Williams?  Then he is a great late round pick up.  I got him in the 14th.  If it doesn't pan out...no biggie.  That's what late round picks are for.

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Yer kiddin', right?

I think you are wrong about Williams place on the depth chart. It will still take an injury to helaire for him to be reliable for fantasy

9 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

I like him as a late round pick. He could see time if CEH isn't picking up pass blocking assignments as well as he should. The last thing KC needs is for CEH to pull a Lawrence Phillips to Mahomes' Steve Young.

Someone posted an article where KC uses their backs very little in pass pro. It basically doesn't matter if their backs are not good at pass pro

Chiefs and Andy Reid have no history of putting the bulk of the workload on a rookie rb

3 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Chiefs and Andy Reid have no history of putting the bulk of the workload on a rookie rb

Nor do they have any history of their #1 RB opting out of the season.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think you are wrong about Williams place on the depth chart.

I was just quoting OurLads, because that's typically the site I use for depth charts, but I see some other sites have it listed differently.  But it's not like Darrel Williams is this great unknown or something; he's been with the team for two years now.  If a RB doesn't flash something in his first two years, he's probly not going to.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If a RB doesn't flash something in his first two years, he's probly not going to.

Sometimes it is also about opportunity. in the 3 games last season where he had double digit touches, he had 13.4 (14 touches), 17.1 (11 touches) and 11.3 points (13 touches), in half ppr. No one, at least not me, is predicting he will be a star. Just somewhat useful in fantasy as a decent RB depth option.

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

No one, at least not me, is predicting he will be a star. Just somewhat useful in fantasy as a decent RB depth option.

Fine.  Axe Elf is merely telling people not to waste their time.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Fine.  Axe Elf is merely telling people not to waste their time.

Noted, I will put it in the file where you predicted Lesean Mccoy would be a fantasy star last season...

In 2017 the Chiefs first game of the season was against the Patriots who eventually won the SuperBowl.  Kareem Hunt had 17 rushes for 148 yards with a TD and 5 receptions for 98 yards with 2 TDs.

272 carries for Kareem Hunt in 2017.

18 carries for Charcandrick West, 14 for Anthony Sherman, 8 Akeem Hunt.  40 total rushes by the rest of the team.

Hunt lead the NFL in rushing as a rookie and went to the Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs and Andy Reid absolutely have a history of putting the bulk of the workload on a rookie rb.  Recent history.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Noted, I will put it in the file where you predicted Lesean Mccoy would be a fantasy star last season...

Lol.

M Berry just came out with a video saying to keep an eye on D Williams.

You are a day late Matty!

31 minutes ago, Smileseers said:

In 2017 the Chiefs first game of the season was against the Patriots who eventually won the SuperBowl.  Kareem Hunt had 17 rushes for 148 yards with a TD and 5 receptions for 98 yards with 2 TDs.

18 carries for Charcandrick West, 14 for Anthony Sherman, 8 Akeem Hunt.  40 total rushes by the rest of the team.

The Chiefs and Andy Reid absolutely have a history of putting the bulk of the workload on a rookie rb.  Recent history.

Would say it sure does, nice work. 

Lol how quickly KC fans forget.  

23 minutes ago, Smileseers said:

That is some good facts.

That was also Alex Smith as the quarterback.  Part of my reasoning is the franchise is all in with Mahomes and I think they will be more cautious after last year and how he was injured for part of the season. They’re going to make sure they protect their QB. If this rookie makes mistakes he’s going to go straight to the bench in my opinion.

Chiefs cannot afford to have their half billion dollar quarterback get injured.

This is unprecedented.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Oh, the one you invented to impugn Axe Elf.  Fine.

In case anyone is interested, here was my ACTUAL breakdown of the Chiefs' backfield last season (at the request of @The Football Guru, who was a little unsure of how it would all shake out)--saving countless newbs from drafting LAST year's preseason darling "sleeper" Darwin Thompson:

What I said was not that McCoy would be a fantasy star, but that when they all are healthy...

"LeSean McCoy will function as the 'lead back' in the Chiefs' offense.  By 'lead back,' I mean that he will be the player earning the most fantasy points, as he will get the most opportunities for meaningful plays."

After missing 3 games with minor injuries, McCoy ended the season with 101 rushing attempts and 4 TDs to Damien's 111 and 5 TDs.  McCoy averaged 4.6 yards per carry; Damien 4.5.  McCoy averaged 7.0 fantasy points per game, Damien 6.9.  It was closer than I thought, but ultimately, Axe Elf was spot on once again.

Axe Elf also correctly placed Darrel Williams third on the depth chart at that time--and correctly stated that Darwin Thompson was a complete waste of time.  I guess those who don't learn from history (or try to distort it into something it's not) are doomed to repeat it.

Listen to the Elf;

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

Lol , this is a funny thread.  

2 hours ago, Smileseers said:

I was gonna say the same thing.  if this is your reasoning, i hope you have other reasons.  not saying those other reasons are invalid.  I"m just saying this one may be.

Axe, don’t look now, but a running back who didn’t show much his first two years in the league is now your rb1 in your 20 team league!

19 minutes ago, DrG said:

Axe, don’t look now, but a running back who didn’t show much his first two years in the league is now your rb1 in your 20 team league!

If Clyde had gone to the 49ers, I probly wouldn't have drafted Mostert either.  His success seems largely situational, but for now, his situation is the lead RB on a team that is top 5 in both rush percentage and red zone rush percentage.  If Darrel Williams ever found himself in that position, I'd draft him too.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Would say it sure does, nice work. 

Lol how quickly KC fans forget.  

I was being a bit facetious

58 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If Clyde had gone to the 49ers, I probly wouldn't have drafted Mostert either.  His success seems largely situational, but for now, his situation is the lead RB on a team that is top 5 in both rush percentage and red zone rush percentage.  If Darrel Williams ever found himself in that position, I'd draft him too.

Can’t argue with basis of such logic which indirectly supports the small ff investment in Clyde’s backup.  :) DW’s pass protection ability might mean more, not less field time next to the 1/2 billion dollar qb 

25 minutes ago, DrG said:

Can’t argue with basis of such logic which indirectly supports the small ff investment in Clyde’s backup.  :) DW’s pass protection ability might mean more, not less field time next to the 1/2 billion dollar qb 

I have never been a big proponent of handcuffing (even if Williams ends up as Clyde's direct backup); I'd rather draft someone who can earn points for me on any given week, rather than someone who will take up a seat on my bench all year just in case I need him.  In the case of the Chiefs, I doubt if there will be a real clear #1 RB if Clyde goes down; they'll just play to the strengths of the remaining backs situationally.  So Williams doesn't really even have any fantasy relevance as a handcuff.

Why do you want to players on your roster that are just bench players. If they’re just mediocre they’re certainly not gonna make a difference being in your lineup.  Those players are always on the waiver wire.

You go ahead and take your five points with some crummy bench player.  I’ll have a couple players that could end up being starters that may end up winning the league.

If you’re picking up a player in the 15th round, you either are picking them for potential of being a rockstar or you get a player that will average five points. I look for potential.   

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

In case anyone is interested, here was my ACTUAL breakdown of the Chiefs' backfield last season (at the request of @The Football Guru, who was a little unsure of how it would all shake out)--saving countless newbs from drafting LAST year's preseason darling "sleeper" Darwin Thompson:

What I said was not that McCoy would be a fantasy star, but that when they all are healthy...

"LeSean McCoy will function as the 'lead back' in the Chiefs' offense.  By 'lead back,' I mean that he will be the player earning the most fantasy points, as he will get the most opportunities for meaningful plays."

After missing 3 games with minor injuries, McCoy ended the season with 101 rushing attempts and 4 TDs to Damien's 111 and 5 TDs.  McCoy averaged 4.6 yards per carry; Damien 4.5.  McCoy averaged 7.0 fantasy points per game, Damien 6.9.  It was closer than I thought, but ultimately, Axe Elf was spot on once again.

Axe Elf also correctly placed Darrel Williams third on the depth chart at that time--and correctly stated that Darwin Thompson was a complete waste of time.  I guess those who don't learn from history (or try to distort it into something it's not) are doomed to repeat it.

Listen to the Elf;

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

McCoy finished the season as RB 42. If anyone listened to Axe Elf, the only trophy they put on the shelf was a Dundee...

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

McCoy finished the season as RB 42. If anyone listened to the people who misrepresented Axe Elf as having proclaimed McCoy a fantasy star in 2019, the only trophy they put on the shelf was a Dundee...

FTFY

On 8/31/2020 at 1:13 PM, AxeElf said:

Listen to the Elf;

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

Wow, I really don't remember asking the AxeElf for help on the Chiefs' depth chart. I may have stated something about not knowing how it was going to play out, but then again, it turned out the Chiefs didn't usually know from week to week how it was going to play out either.

Well, no reason to get off track on the subject here. No need to point out how somebody thinks they know it all. That’s a waste of time.

What is clear is that Kansas City does have an unpredictable situation and when you’re picking one guy in the first round and the other guy in the 15th round I can tell you there’s value in those two pics Respectively. One high risk/big reward while the other is Low risk with the same big reward.

I can’t wait for pregame.

I think if CEH was to miss playing time , RBBC would be next, I think D Thompson could get some work as well Dar Williams m

late flyer on Dar Williams would be my target. 

I am reading that Williams the direct back up but he may actually be a share with the rookie for the first half of the year and who knows what will happen during those first eight games!

There is a lot of buzz now in this last week about Darrel Williams. 

The guy who can best protect the 500 million dollar man will see extra snaps

The Athletic's Nate Taylor suggests it would not be a surprise if Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Darrel Williams "split most of the Chiefs’ rushing attempts on opening night."
Williams has exclusively worked as the Chiefs' No. 2 back in camp and, as Taylor writes, been "the Chiefs’ best pass-block option at the position." Edwards-Helaire is still expected to lead this backfield in touches and catches in Week 1, but Taylor suggests coach Andy Reid and OC Eric Bieniemy will "want to ease Edwards-Helaire into a rhythm" in his NFL debut. This isn't a knock on the rookie's season-long outlook, but merely a reminder that Williams is fully expected to have a role as a low-end FLEX option in Kansas City's season opener.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 3, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

•