Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Simple things that make you happy?

7 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Idk any more. This pandemic has really messed with me. I have never been a person who dealt with depression, but since covid started I have definitely been a lot closer to being depressed than I ever thought I would. I would honestly say nothing at this point. Maybe if I can start working consistently again things will change.

At least a good book keeps my spirits up at this point, so I guess I will go with a good book.

I agree!!

Kindle unlimited lost money on me...I have read so many lit rpg and scifi stories they are all a jumble lol

42 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Love this.  In my yard it is quail.  Every year a boy and a girl quail make like the birds and the... birds, and lay eggs in our yard somewhere.  I suspect under a rosemary bush but I never looked for fear of disturbing it.  In spring the eggs hatch and I get to watch the momma and poppa quail walking with 5-7 teeny tiny baby quail, their little feet motoring as fast as they can to catch up.  Over the course of the summer they grow until by fall, they are all the same size, but still seem to hang together as a family unit.

Last year at an art fair I bought a painting of a desert scene and hung it over the door wall to our back yard.  The main reason we got it was because it had some quail in it.  Later in the year, at another art fair, we bought some shmaltzy cast iron quail statues (think caricature of a Messican piece of art) and put them in the back yard as well.

We are looking to maybe downsize our house, and if we do one of the things I'll miss the most is the annual circle of life with the quail.  :thumbsup:  

That's awesome.

We've had a similar experience the past few years.  Every spring my wife buys a fuscia and hangs it outside our covered front door.  This hanging pot provides perfect cover for little dark eyed juncos ( https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dark-eyed_Junco/id) to build a nest so we've been able to watch the life cycle from eggs to hatchlings to eventually them leaving the nest.  It's very cool to keep tabs on the progress.

Amazing how quickly they transform from looking like a cross between aliens and a ballsack to looking like actual birds:

Rocky Dennis : [voiceover; a poem Rocky had written]  These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.

Sitting by a fire always makes me happy.  In the winter I have my fireplace in the living room and in the summer I have my firepit next to the koi pond.  Watching the koi swim around is always a joy too.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Sitting by a fire always makes me happy.  In the winter I have my fireplace in the living room and in the summer I have my firepit next to the koi pond.  Watching the koi swim around is always a joy too.

I love fireplaces. It is joy.

• Like 1

Just now, Utilit99 said:

I love fireplaces. It is joy.

Nothing beats a real wood fireplace.  Keeping up my stock of wood can be a paint but it's worth it.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Nothing beats a real wood fireplace.  Keeping up my stock of wood can be a paint but it's worth it.

It's so calming and centered in the moment. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

It's so calming and centered in the moment. :thumbsup:

My plan is to have one going Sunday for watching the Super Bowl.  Maybe make some chili too.  Temp is barely suppose to get above 0 Sunday so should be perfect for a fire and chili.

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Agreed.  The house we purchased in 2020 has 2 gas fireplaces and 1 wood burning fireplace.  My wife wasn't real excited about having a wood burning fireplace in the living room.  After the first fire, she changed her mind and now loves it.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Agreed.  The house we purchased in 2020 has 2 gas fireplaces and 1 wood burning fireplace.  My wife wasn't real excited about having a wood burning fireplace in the living room.  After the first fire, she changed her mind and now loves it.

There's no comparison.  While a gas fireplace is convenient, it's just not the same.  The heat, sights, sounds and smell can't be beat.

I feed birds, but only when they ask. (Yes, you can train them.) I love when they come to my balcony for food. I get cardinals, nuthatch, blue birds, chickadees, wrens, titmouse, warbler, blue jay, mourning dove and a woodpecker.

I used to get more kinds where I used to live including hummingbirds but not now. 

54 minutes ago, peenie said:

I feed birds, but only when they ask. (Yes, you can train them.) I love when they come to my balcony for food. I get cardinals, nuthatch, blue birds, chickadees, wrens, titmouse, warbler, blue jay, mourning dove and a woodpecker.

I used to get more kinds where I used to live including hummingbirds but not now. 

Heh heh... you said t1t.  Those make me happy.  :)