Sign in to follow this  
DocNiner

QB Justin Fields has Epilepsy

Reported by profootballtalk.nbcsports.com that Fields has informed teams that he has epilepsy. He says it is under control with medications. One concern with the disorder is not so much the seizure itself but what harm your body can incur during a seizure. He could be alone, fall and have a severe concussion or cause significant harm to other parts of the body. It may be under control but something could happen that would bring the onset of a seizure. People have said that certain lights can bring on a seizure and any number of things can trigger a seizure. Medication alone is no guarantee that you will not have seizures. Believe I know. My daughter has epilepsy.  She's 40 and it took a lot of years for her to get it under control. She still has periodic seizures.                                                              Having epilepsy  shouldn't be a reason for Fields to fall in the draft but you never know. Certainly whoever takes him will monitor his situation. I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers took him at 3. I don't see his disorder being a big factor from him having success in the nfl.

That’s focking interesting, man.

I mean it’s probably not a big deal. What about playing in a super bowl in a dome? I wouldn’t worry too much about off the field injuries from it, just whether it’d ever effect him on the field. But I am no medical expert

That can't be good for playing a sport known for causing concussions.

Although, they don't happen like they used to.

I don't think it will make him fall in the draft a whole lot. It could however mean a team will pass him over for Tray Lance or Mac Jones, potentially

well, it may be an issue it may not.

some cases of Epilepsy are more serious than others.   it sounds like his is under control.  if it wasnt, we likely would have heard about it long before now.

I have  2 friends who have had one seizure in their entire life.   a third has had a handful but none in a few years.

So it may be a non story.   if he made it through 4 years of college without one I may be inclined to think its not a problem.

Then again, we may not have all of the facts but I'm certain anyone drafting him is probably doing their research on that now.  Like I said, if this wasnt public knowledge I suspect it may be a very minor case controlled with meds.

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, it may be an issue it may not.

some cases of Epilepsy are more serious than others.   it sounds like his is under control.  if it wasnt, we likely would have heard about it long before now.

I have  2 friends who have had one seizure in their entire life.   a third has had a handful but none in a few years.

So it may be a non story.   if he made it through 4 years of college without one I may be inclined to think its not a problem.

Then again, we may not have all of the facts but I'm certain anyone drafting him is probably doing their research on that now.  Like I said, if this wasnt public knowledge I suspect it may be a very minor case controlled with meds.

I would almost guarantee that the teams he's interviewed with know about it.

I bet he's been smoking weed, that's supposed to work wonders for stopping seizures

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

I bet he's been smoking weed, that's supposed to work wonders for stopping seizures

This would help connect the dots for me about his story.  I know it's speculation, but if teams found out he tokes up and started dropping him on their board because they don't want a qb who smokes weed.  Now he comes out and says it's a medical condition to curb the negative sentiment.  

Something seems to be wrong.  With the way the media is crying about it, you'd think he should be top 3 and it looks like he's lower on a lot of boards.  Then again the media didn't like Justin Herbert or Josh Allen either, so maybe the media is just stupid as usual.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

This would help connect the dots for me about his story.  I know it's speculation, but if teams found out he tokes up and started dropping him on their board because they don't want a qb who smokes weed.  Now he comes out and says it's a medical condition to curb the negative sentiment.  

Something seems to be wrong.  With the way the media is crying about it, you'd think he should be top 3 and it looks like he's lower on a lot of boards.  Then again the media didn't like Justin Herbert or Josh Allen either, so maybe the media is just stupid as usual.

say wut?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Donkey said:

say wut?

Won't don't you understand?  I'll try to walk you through it.

2 hours ago, nobody said:

With the way the media is crying about it, you'd think he should be top 3 and it looks like he's lower on a lot of boards.  Then again the media didn't like Justin Herbert or Josh Allen either, so maybe the media is just stupid as usual.

Not sure where you get your info, but Fields is ranked as the # 3 overall player on the Consensus mock draft board...

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2021/consensus-big-board-2021

The consensus mock draft board is made by media members and bloggers, not actual NFL teams.  Perhaps I listen to too many podcasts, but the media that I listen to is absolutely flabbergast that the 49ers don't want Fields, and the scuttlebutt is that his draft stock is falling.

So the 49ers don't think he's special.  That's one piece of the puzzle. 

Meanwhile the Jets would rather take a project that has exactly one good year under his belt against small school competition.  That's another piece of the puzzle.

So now if teams thought Fields was a great prospect, wouldn't they be trying to get into that 4 spot?  Or wouldn't Atlanta pick him to eventually replace Matt Ryan?  I mean if your Atlanta, when do you think you're getting a pick this high again?  If it's next year, why not draft a supposedly great QB prospect since you're going to suck anyway.  If it's indefinite, why not draft a supposedly great QB prospect when you have the chance and let him sit behind Ryan?  The only way they shouldn't take this supposed gift is if they don't think he's good or they really think they're Kyle Pitts or Jamarr Chase away from competing for a Super Bowl?  And given that they're secondary sucks, I don't see how they could think that.  Plus they have a brand new GM and coach.  They don't even need to win right away.

It just doesn't make any sense.  There's a disconnect between what the media is saying and what teams are actually doing.

Then again, maybe someone will trade up for him on draft day, but something seems weird here.

There is always a disconnect between what the Media/Mock draft industrial complex and what NFL teams think. But we, the public don’t get to see NFL Boards so all we can react to is the Media. I have no idea what the NFL thinks about Fields but the Media love him, and I would be shocked if he fell out of the top 10...

4 hours ago, nobody said:

I don't know if that's what happened.

They don't test for weed any more. I'm sure there are several players on every team that smoke it. I'm sure some still frown upon it but I doubt it's the big red flag it used to be for teams.

I would think the potentially serious medical condition would be a bigger concern.

4 minutes ago, polecatt said:

They don't test for weed any more. I

you sure about that?

While it may be a non issue for many of us I think some teams still care.

I do fully agree the epilepsy is the bigger issue.   if you read my post earlier.  I agree. I dont think this is a deal breaker.  If I really liked the guy this wouldnt stop me unless it wasnt under control.

I still believe that since  this is the first most of us have heard of this, it likely was fully under control so also likely a non issue.

My daughter has epilepsy and has a medical Marijuana card. Not sure if it helps epilepsy  but she certainly smokes more now,lol. If Fields told teams he uses medical weed then I think they may drop him down on their draft boards or maybe not. I think they may be more concerned about the seizures than the weed.                                     Fields is very talented and can be very successful in the NFL so I think he'll do all he can to manage and control his disorder. If he smokes a little weed to help with it I hope teams would understand that as opinions on weed around the nation has changed as states have decriminalized  it and even made it somewhat legal.  NFL seems to be more violent than college which could be a concern for the young QB.

14 hours ago, Ray_T said:

you sure about that?

While it may be a non issue for many of us I think some teams still care.

I do fully agree the epilepsy is the bigger issue.   if you read my post earlier.  I agree. I dont think this is a deal breaker.  If I really liked the guy this wouldnt stop me unless it wasnt under control.

I still believe that since  this is the first most of us have heard of this, it likely was fully under control so also likely a non issue.

I should have been more clear, they can't get suspended for it, I think they may still test for it.

I would have minor concerns over this. While it does appear to be under control, the NFL is a new league, new lifestyle etc.

I'm far from an expert on epilepsy but I would guess all of that change will come a minor risk, at least at first.

I don't think it's gonna be a huge deal to teams looking to draft him. It could be a tie breaker if a team has him and another QB rated close.

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

I should have been more clear, they can't get suspended for it, I think they may still test for it.

I would have minor concerns over this. While it does appear to be under control, the NFL is a new league, new lifestyle etc.

I'm far from an expert on epilepsy but I would guess all of that change will come a minor risk, at least at first.

I don't think it's gonna be a huge deal to teams looking to draft him. It could be a tie breaker if a team has him and another QB rated close.

agreed.  it could be a tiebreaker if someone is on the fence between him and someone else.

so he may get selected one or two picks later.  thats no biggie.

if he slips further and gets selected by the patriots or someone hes out a few bucks but in a good organization.  There's really no significant downside unless he slips into the second or third round.

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.  it could be a tiebreaker if someone is on the fence between him and someone else.

so he may get selected one or two picks later.  thats no biggie.

if he slips further and gets selected by the patriots or someone hes out a few bucks but in a good organization.  There's really no significant downside unless he slips into the second or third round.

Right, and that's not gonna happen.

I would honestly be shocked if he dropped out of the top 10, or top 5 even

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

Right, and that's not gonna happen.

I would honestly be shocked if he dropped out of the top 10, or top 5 even

agreed.  dropping out  of  the top  10 aint happening. 

top  5 is  possible, but unlikely.

his potential upside is high enough that  someone will trade up to take him if hes still on the  board

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

his potential upside is high enough that  someone will trade up to take him if hes still on the  board

I'm sure teams knew of his situation after his 2nd proday. It shouldn't or should I say won't cause him to drop in the draft. I don't think that Lynch and Shanahan are overly concerned with the epilepsy  issue. Lynch moreover than Shanny having played defense in the nfl.  Their concern is minimal which is why they will draft Fields #3.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I could see him and/Lance being there around 7-9.

Oh are they , how exciting 

10 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Supposedly the Patriots are looking to trade into the top ten, to draft Fields

If you listen to every rumor, The Pats, Broncos, Eagles, Washington Wokesters, and Bears are all looking to trade into the top 10, and the Falcons, Dolphins, Lions, Panthers, and Giants are all looking to move back. The reality: maybe one of those things actually happens, probably none...

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

If you listen to every rumor, The Pats, Broncos, Eagles, Washington Wokesters, and Bears are all looking to trade into the top 10, and the Falcons, Dolphins, Lions, Panthers, and Giants are all looking to move back. The reality: maybe one of those things actually happens, probably none...

This one has a little more behind it than most. Of course it doesn’t mean it’s true. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-patriots-mulling-trade-justin-fields-their-radar%3famp

53 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Seems like most rumors you see at this time of year: Team X is calling around to see what's out there. If you are a GM and aren't making calls, then what are you doing?

55 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Since the Pat's have been aggressive during free agency the chance that they would make a move up to #7 or #8 is IMO a little better than 50% that it happens. Cam Newton is nothing more than a stopgap QB for this year and I don't think they're sold on Jarret Stidham. This.might be their only shot at moving up to get a QB for a few years. So, I could see them agressively trying  to trade up from their #15 spot to get either Justin Fields or Mac Jones who I think would be available to them. It's certainly shaping up to be quite an interesting draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Seems like most rumors you see at this time of year: Team X is calling around to see what's out there. If you are a GM and aren't making calls, then what are you doing?

Posting on FFtoday. 

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

stirring up rumours in the hope that you can muck up the order so that the player you want falls to you.

Tossing darts. 

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

Posting on FFtoday. 

Who knew all this time Belicheck was really @Axe Elf:dunno:

According to ESPN’s Max Kellerman, if Fields falls past third it’s racial. 

More noise. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

According to ESPN’s Max Kellerman, if Fields falls past third it’s racial. 

Just another example of why I never watch ESPN anymore.

25 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Somebody forcing you to read it? :( 

The poster.