Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Things in MLB that drive you batty

18 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Why don't they just have ties? Fock extra innings. 

Because ties are stupid.  :dunno:

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

In 2019, there were 208 extra inning games.  Of those 208, 117 made it to the 11th inning (56.3%), and 59 mad it to the 12th inning (28.4%), or later.  In 2020, 14 of 44 extra inning games (31.8%), made it to the 11th inning and only 4 (9%), made it beyond (2 to the 12th inning and 2 to the 13th).  I have nothing to back this up, but when watching a Pirates game, I believe I heard them say that there were only 6 games that made it beyond the 11th inning this year.  This was some time in mid-July.

All I needed to see. man on 2nd to start the 10th inning STAYS! (in the regular season) there are 162 games as it is. WHO THE FOCK NEEDS MORE INNINGS!! :wall:

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Burning up a pitching staff for one game is stupid.  :dunno:They have ties in other sports to reduce injuries and to keep teams competative for their next game. 

Especially when there are 162 games for each team per regular season.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed. The home team has the last chance in the 9th. if they fail to take the lead, away team wins in a tie

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Burning up a pitching staff for one game is stupid.  :dunno:They have ties in other sports to reduce injuries and to keep teams competative for their next game. 

Especially when there are 162 games for each team per regular season.

The NBA does not have ties...

Jesus, some of you guys are worse than Manfred and his stupid rule changes he has made...

5 minutes ago, posty said:

Jesus, some of you guys are worse than Manfred and his stupid rule changes he has made...

Sorry gramps, the game has passed you by. it will die if changes are not made

7 minutes ago, posty said:

The NBA does not have ties...

Tiebreaker rules explained
The NBA's tiebreaker rules at the most basic level are pretty easy to understand. In a scenario where two teams finish the regular season with the same record, the team with the better winning percentage in those head-to-head matchups earns the tiebreaker.May 16, 2021

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

NFL and NHL do. NBA just shoots a ball. 

The NHL did away with ties.  They have shootouts now.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Tiebreaker rules explained
The NBA's tiebreaker rules at the most basic level are pretty easy to understand. In a scenario where two teams finish the regular season with the same record, the team with the better winning percentage in those head-to-head matchups earns the tiebreaker.May 16, 2021

That is a tiebreaker, not a tied game...

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Sorry gramps, the game has passed you by. it will die if changes are not made

The game is just fine...  They just need to remove some of the stupid add-ons in the past years and it will be even better...

The NHL did away with ties.  They have shootouts now.

Yeah but the loser of the shootout gets points. If they want to do a baseball shootout, I'm all for it.

In a 162 game season, there are 2,430 games that are played.  In 2019, less than 5% of the games played went past 10 innings... and people are complaining?

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In a 162 game season, there are 2,430 games that are played.  In 2019, less than 5% of the games played went past 10 innings... and people are complaining?

Covid is less than 1% and the world closed down

I personnaly don't care enough to actually complain to anyone about it. But I have seen 16 inning games and always think they are stupid.

46 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I personnaly don't care enough to actually complain to anyone about it. But I have seen 16 inning games and always think they are stupid.

From 2012 to 2019, there's only been 51 games make it to 16 innings.  That's 51 out 19,440 games... so 0.3%.  The mortality rate of COVID is higher than that for people under 50 and you think that number isn't worth being concerned about (I agree by the way).

Here's an article where an idiot claimed that the data supported his mother's argument.  He proved that it didn't, but he said she was right anyway... because, as I said, he's an idiot (he's an idiot because his argument was stupid).

Extra inning games, in general, don't last forever.  For some reason, I guess his argument that anything over 1 extra inning meant "forever".  Personally, "forever" doesn't exist.  I'd sit and watch a 40 inning game and enjoy every inning.  That said, I think anything from 10 to 12 constitutes as reasonable (we're only talking about 3 innings... not a big deal).  So, he shows that from 2012 to 2017, of the 1200 games that went into extra innings, 82% were done in 12 innings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, edjr said:

Covid is less than 1% and the world closed down

Too many idiots had opinions that mattered.  :dunno:

50 minutes ago, Mookz said:

The subjective strike zone.  We have that virtual box on tv now, can't we use it?  :dunno:

Every time they discuss how good a "framer" a catcher is, or how a pitcher isn't going to get a close call when he's been wild all night, I have to roll my eyes.  This stuff should not be part of the game anymore.  :angry:

#ROBOTUMPIRESNOW

45 minutes ago, edjr said:

:thumbsup:

Good call. I too am tired of "how good a catcher frames it"   to me that is worse than diving in soccer.  Moving it after you catch it should be considered cheating.

Robot umpires and robot strike zones. We don't need some old fat yuman calling balls and strikes. Use the strikezone on the focking TV!

You shouldn't put too much stock into those "boxes". 

Here's a link to MLB's strike zone.  Basically, sternum to knees.

Here's a link talking about Aaron Judge's strike zone.  Notice towards the end of that article, where they have a picture of that box in reference to Aaron Judge.

Next game you watch, pay attention to where that box is located.  That box is virtually static... regardless of the batter's height and stance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd sit and watch a 40 inning game and enjoy every inning. 

Ditto...

I was at the Twins-Nationals 16-inning game in 2016...  Game took almost six hours to play...  Won in the bottom of the 16th with a walk-off home run...

It was such a beautiful sunny late-April day...  I think that was the longest home game in Nats history...  Then three months later, they had a home game that went 18 innings...

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Ditto...

I was at the Twins-Nationals 16-inning game in 2016...  Game took almost six hours to play...  Won in the bottom of the 16th with a walk-off home run...

It was such a beautiful sunny late-April day...  I think that was the longest home game in Nats history...  Then three months later, they had a home game that went 18 innings...

I was thoroughly enjoying this game, until the ump flocked up.

Interleague play is number one.

I still listen to the Reds regularly on the radio as I’m bbqing, doing things in the garage, or sitting on the porch, but other than that, I have not paid attention to baseball in 10 years. 

5 hours ago, Fireballer said:

When people use stupid puns in MLB thread titles

If baseball things drive you batty, do hockey things make you sticky? :dunno:

Either get rid of the dh or make it universal 

the one game play in wildcard. Baseball is a game about series make it a 3 game set or get rid of the extra team

salary floor and salary cap should be implemented

the fact that they changed the disabled list to the injured list cause of pc nonsense

the Cleveland guardians 

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You shouldn't put too much stock into those "boxes". 

Here's a link to MLB's strike zone.  Basically, sternum to knees.

Here's a link talking about Aaron Judge's strike zone.  Notice towards the end of that article, where they have a picture of that box in reference to Aaron Judge.

Next game you watch, pay attention to where that box is located.  That box is virtually static... regardless of the batter's height and stance.

Sorry, squares.  :ninja:

I do hear what you're saying, and yes, the one on tv doesn't change.  But it seems like they're almost there, they just need to tweak it for each player, which shouldn't be that hard.  B)

• Thanks 1

Relief pitchers warming up for half a day.

Batters stopping to adjust their cup, their gold chain, cross themselves, etc. For a full minute between each pitch. 

57 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Relief pitchers warming up for half a day.

Omg, no kidding. 

They've already warmed up in the pen, then they get 8 pitches on top of that when they get to the mound? :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Omg, no kidding. 

They've already warmed up in the pen, then they get 8 pitches on top of that when they get to the mound? :rolleyes:

You do know that bullpen mounds and game mounds are probably not the same...  Plus he wasn’t working with the current catcher in the pen, so that catcher needs it to see how the pitches are working to call the at-bats...

14 minutes ago, posty said:

You do know that bullpen mounds and game mounds are probably not the same...  Plus he wasn’t working with the current catcher in the pen, so that catcher needs it to see how the pitches are working to call the at-bats...

they should call it something else instead of warm ups then.  Like "feeling up the balls."

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

they should call it something else instead of warm ups then.  Like "feeling up the balls."

Giggity...

19 minutes ago, posty said:

Whatever. The game is WAY to focking slow. 

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Whatever. The game is WAY to focking slow. 

That is fine...  It isn’t timed so no reason for it to get done fast...

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

If you actually want anyone to watch there is...

Eh it doesn’t matter...  Manfred is already ruining the game with some of the rules that he has implemented and I am sure that there are others that is coming down the road to make it worse...

11 hours ago, posty said:

Wah, wah, wah - might as well give them a nipple to suck on too... And did you really just say the catcher needs to see pitches too? Oh FFS. :doh:

Who gives a fock if they don't have an actual mound in the pen? The pinch-hit batters don't get any live warm up pitches to adjust to the speed of ball. Yet another reason baseball has become a game for the puss. 

2 minutes ago, posty said:

Eh it doesn’t matter...  Manfred is already ruining the game with some of the rules that he has implemented and I am sure that there are others that is coming down the road to make it worse...

I WANT to find another sport to get into. I've tried...

Premier league soccer

Baseball

NBA

NHL

None of em do it for me. Hockey probably comes closest. 

Miguel Cabrera has 499 Hr’s.  No one cares.  Good job baseball.