Sign in to follow this  
himmystyles

Cooks with Mills at the helm

Brandin cooks has been very good this season, especially in ppr. Now he gets Mills  throwing to him. Are you guys still considering him a confident start regardless? Gets a tough date with CAR this Thursday to boot. 

He's been pretty QB-proof over the years so far--just keeps churning out 1,150 yard, 7 TD seasons.

He's a little ahead of that pace so far, so one might expect some... balance... in the future, regardless of the QB.

If you mixed Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson together into one mega-star receiver, I wouldn't start him with Davis Mills at quarterback.

• Like 1

OP that depends on who else you have at wr? 

Cooks as been blessed to have played with Brees , Brady and Watson and Goff.  I’m not going to say that makes him a good pick with Mills at the helm.  

Seeing as how the Texans could be playing from behind a bit this year it's likely game flow will dictate that they have to pass to stay in the game. Now, that being said, as long.as Mills can stay healthy, that was a concern with him coming out of college, Cooks is gonna see plenty of targets. Volume alone will make him a decent play each week and I wouldn't have a problem putting him in my lineup.

First, people were down on him because tyrod Taylor was the QB. He had a good week one and a fine week two when tyrod was still in. After just two weeks people are asking if he is still a confident start because Tyrod is out? :wacko:

• Like 1

Depending on who else one has at wr, I would be hesitant to start him.  

4 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

First, people were down on him because tyrod Taylor was the QB. He had a good week one and a fine week two when tyrod was still in. After just two weeks people are asking if he is still a confident start because Tyrod is out? :wacko:

Davis Mills is a whole new level of bad.  Think Christian Hackenberg.

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

this. 

Mills will certainly have his share of F ups but Cooks will also still have his share of receptions and big plays.

Maybe not. 

What a dilemma,  I was in on Crooks this year and was a target in my draft even with Tyrod.  This new situation however has me concerned.

For Flex in PPR, debating him, Boyd, Marvin Jones...would appreciate any feedback....

7 minutes ago, xenon said:

For Flex in PPR, debating him, Boyd, Marvin Jones...would appreciate any feedback....

I think you're safest with Cooks, but Jones is solid as well, with Boyd not far behind.

So no WRONG answer, really.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jones, and I saw that Higgins missed practice today, so if Higgins can’t play Boyd.  

• Thanks 1

Cooks is about as consistent at you can get from a fantasy WR.

If he's healthy, he's gonna give you over 1000 yards and 6-8 TDs or so, PPR even better.

I don't know why he's so undervalued. He wasn't even drafted in my dynasty league.

Just check his injury status and if healthy, don't worry about it

Depends on who else someone has at wr.  

47 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Cooks is about as consistent at you can get from a fantasy WR.

If he's healthy, he's gonna give you over 1000 yards and 6-8 TDs or so, PPR even better.

I don't know why he's so undervalued. He wasn't even drafted in my dynasty league.

Just check his injury status and if healthy, don't worry about it

He was undervalued because all of sports media decided that Houston was going to be the most terrible and inept team ever assembled.

"How could they possible even snap the ball without Deshaun Watson," they asked incredulously.

23 hours ago, nobody said:

I don't know that this true.  Mills has attempted only 18 passes.  He was a solid prospect and drafted as expected, the third round.  

Look, I get the concerns about Davis Mills but we already saw Brandin Cooks (one of the best receivers over the past several years) slide to tremendous value in drafts because "no Watson!, Tyrod can't produce a fantasy relevant WR!, Cooks has only done it with Brady and Brees and Watson ... and Goff!"

Im just not sure why we think his targets and production will drop drastically enough now?

We expected Houston to play from behind a lot this year and that won't change. It's why shrewd owners targeted Cooks in their drafts. 

Unless Mills shows that he can't hit the ocean, rendering Cooks targets useless, I see no reason to think Cooks won't produce decent fantasy numbers on volume alone. Cooks has a skillset that works all over the field on all types of routes so we can't even use the check down excuse.

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know that this true.  Mills has attempted only 18 passes.  He was a solid prospect and drafted as expected, the third round.  

You must not watch preseason.  That guy is straight trash.

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Unless Mills shows that he can't hit the ocean, rendering Cooks targets useless, I see no reason to think Cooks won't produce decent fantasy numbers on volume alone. Cooks has a skillset that works all over the field on all types of routes so we can't even use the check down excuse.

And there's the issue.  I'm a cooks investor, and I'm quite confident the targets will be there.  It's just the completion part I'm worried about.

I guess after the Texans are down 17 in the 4th, he can get that last drive of garbage time stats, but I wouldn't expect much else.

1 minute ago, nobody said:

You must not watch preseason.  That guy is straight trash.

Preseason is a waste.  No one game plans.  The Texans didn't game plan anything and most of the guys he was out there with aren't even on a current NFL roster.  Let's also not pretend that the Texans have a slue of great talent to begin with anyway.  He'll be able to get all the reps in practice and he'll be able to develop faster.

Simply depends on who else one  has on their team. 

just put Cooks back in my lineup. Why? Gut feeling.  To quote Polk High football legend  number 33 Al Bundy "let's rock!"

On 9/22/2021 at 1:21 PM, nobody said:

YOU have made that determination in what, his one half of play as an NFL rookie?

Not having practiced to play, he came in after an injury and had good and bad. Part of the good (for Cooks) was a focus on Cooks and a TD. The bad was an INT and fumble (not lost). Prior to that, he was a 3rd round draft pick (not some FA or something) after a decent college career. He was even a very highly rated recruit. He's had a LOT of injuries though.

But YOU have decided! He sucks. OK then.

Did he still sleep with your mom AND sister at the same time?

Just now, nobody said:

you seem really emotional about this.

Nope. But you sure seem to be! You're the one who called the kid garbage, trash. And based on what? Pre-season!??!

Too funny. That tells everyone what they need to know about your level of insight right there. Pre-season. 😆

5 minutes ago, nobody said:

My bad.  He's good.

Don't worry. You're nobody.

😎

4-60 yards , Cooks having a good game, congrats to you so far if you indeed started him in a ppr.  

Like the great Wonder said

9 hours ago, nobody said:

And there's the issue.  I'm a cooks investor, and I'm quite confident the targets will be there.  It's just the completion part I'm worried about.

I guess after the Texans are down 17 in the 4th, he can get that last drive of garbage time stats, but I wouldn't expect much else.

🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Like the great Wonder said

You called it.  If Carolina scores on this drive, he's got at least another 40 yards in garbage time coming too.

51 minutes ago, weepaws said:

4-60 yards , Cooks having a good game, congrats to you so far if you indeed started him in a ppr.  

1/2 ppr but still 👍