Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

MLB 2022

Who are the best players in baseball in order based on this year and combined slightly with overall career but mostly based on talent. 

1. Mike Trout

?

?

?

?

?

Where are Bryce Harper, Mookie Betts, and Manny Machado on the list?

Also, Ohtani, Vlad Guerrero Jr., Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna, where would they fit in on the list?

Who else?

Just asking about non-pitchers, but you can make a list for pitchers too.

1. Mike Trout

2. Trea Turner

3. Jose Ramirez

4. Acuna Jr. 

5. Vlad Jr. 

6. Pete Alonso

7. Betts

8. Goldy

9. Arenado

10. Harper 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

How does it point to the champion being random or the regular season pointless? Having followed the Braves rather closely last season, they made a ton of moves that all paid off. A typically well run organization, there was nothing random about their World Series win and certainly shows that it’s important to address your faults as the season moves along. 

i said the appearance of random champions.  to a casual fan, it starts to look like you are pulling champs out of a hat.

but thats the consistent problem with the internet.  failure of reading comprehension.  

4 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Who are the best players in baseball in order based on this year and combined slightly with overall career but mostly based on talent. 

1. Mike Trout

?

?

?

?

?

Also, Ohtani, Vlad Guerrero Jr., Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna, where would they fit in on the list?

Who else?

best players in baseball this year have been Manny and Judge

of course Ohtani is always the best player at anytime

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

i said the appearance of random champions.  to a casual fan, it starts to look like you are pulling champs out of a hat.

but thats the consistent problem with the internet.  failure of reading comprehension.  

I comprehended your post just fine. You mentioned nothing about casual fans. 

It doesn’t point to OR give the appearance of a random champion or pulling champs out of a hat. If the concern is casual fan… realize that the casual fan would likely never know the Braves or Nationals record in June. The casual fan watches the end of the season, playoffs and World Series… if that. 

I know you were looking for a hot take, it just isn’t there. 🤷🏻‍♂️  What about 8-8 teams that make the playoffs and reach or win the super bowl? Does the casual football fan think they are pulling champs out of a hat?

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

1. Mike Trout

2. Trea Turner

3. Jose Ramirez

4. Acuna Jr. 

5. Vlad Jr. 

6. Pete Alonso

7. Betts

8. Goldy

9. Arenado

10. Harper 

Putting Alonso over Judge, and then not even putting Judge in the list. Has to be a Met fan. 

21 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Putting Alonso over Judge, and then not even putting Judge in the list. Has to be a Met fan. 

Nope

Poor Mike Trout.  What a wasted career.  All that talk before the season about the Angels finally having it together to challenge the Yankees and Astros. :lol:

15 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

1. Mike Trout

2. Trea Turner

3. Jose Ramirez

4. Acuna Jr. 

5. Vlad Jr. 

6. Pete Alonso

7. Betts

8. Goldy

9. Arenado

10. Harper 

Pretty solid list...  Devers and Machado hopefully got some consideration as well...

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Poor Mike Trout.  What a wasted career.  All that talk before the season about the Angels finally having it together to challenge the Yankees and Astros. :lol:

Still early...

On 6/4/2022 at 4:36 PM, paulinstl said:

So I'm blowing my load because I suggested the kid might be worth a look?. No matter how you want to spin it, he's had a great start. I'm looking forward for your updates when he struggles.

Everything is an argument in this place. 

LOL... says the guy who needed to make a "point" after I made 2 joke posts.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL... says the guy who needed to make a "point" after I made 2 joke posts.

Guess I have to work on my sense of humor because they both didn't seem satirical or humorous. Can we end this by me saying that I won't ever tip off the board about the imminent call up of a top prospect, who is off to very good major league start again?

1 minute ago, paulinstl said:

Guess I have to work on my sense of humor because they both didn't seem satirical or humorous. Can we end this by me saying that I won't ever tip off the board about the imminent call up of a top prospect, who is off to very good major league start again?

You mean when I said, "Let me know how he does when he faces MLB pitchers.", after just playing a series against the Pirates?  You didn't see the humor in that statement?

In my next post, I literally put "😉".

:doh:

Have to agree with PISTL on this one. We’re supposed to be talking baseball. He was. 

On 6/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Honestly, you're really going too far on this.  My initial response was making fun of my Pirates pitching, nothing more.  I just kept going on about it because I found it funny.

He's a rookie.  He's going to have ups and downs that are more "extremish" than regulars until things settle.  I wouldn't even agree to the statement that he's off to a great start.  He had  3 great games against the..... PIRATES.

You came here boasting about his first series (10 AB's... funny you called me out after making a joke after 17 AB's, but I digress), where he had a slash line of .500 / .583 / .700... then you were silent for 4 days.  Why?  I'll tell you why.  It's because his slash line in those 4 games (12 PA's), was .000 / .083 / .000, where he struck out 7 times.  You wait and pop up after he goes 4 for 4.  Give me a break.

Look, the kids a solid prospect who's streaky.  He had a great series against the... hahaha, Pirates, since then, had an 0 - 11 stretch and then batted .583 over the next 4 games.  That's very "extremish".  Neither the high or the low will continue.  In 475 AAA plate appearances, he's a .284 / .335 / .530 hitter.  In the majors, he'll probably be a .265 / .325 / .450 guy, during his peak years.  You want to blow your wad over a future .775 guy for about 6 to 7 years, you go right ahead.  Knock yourself out.  There's nothing wrong with a .750 OPS second baseman, in fact, it's a nice player to have.  Neil Walker, in his time with the Pirates was exactly that.  He had a slash line of .273 / .339 / .433 in his 6 full years.  I was happy to have him... but no one ever heard me say how great out 2B was.

do you just follow teams which have pirates for mascots?  What, you got a peg leg or something and sentimental to those teams?

1 hour ago, posty said:

Still early...

Same thing they say every year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

do you just follow teams which have pirates for mascots?  What, you got a peg leg or something and sentimental to those teams?

Yes, I have a peg let and a parrot... something wrong with that?

Actually, it just has to do with where I was born.  I was born in Bradenton, FL (about 45 min to an hour south of Tampa).  At the time, there was no baseball in Tampa, but that was the Spring Training home of the Pirates... still is.  I lived right down the street from the facility, so we'd always go to Pirates games.  We eventually moved up to NJ, I was 11 at the time, but because I was already a Buccaneers and Pirates fan, I just stuck with them.

22 hours ago, Gepetto said:

1. Mike Trout

?

?

?

?

?

Who else?

"Talent"?  Not production?  I think Trout is #1, but I think the rest of guys you have listed are definitely among the most talented.  I'd throw in Ke' Bryan Hayes, Freddie Freeman, Judge, Bregman, Correa, and Tatis in among the candidates.  I don't think any ranking would be absurd.

Decided to turn on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN last night and watch it with sound...  Eduardo Perez is AWFUL...

I caught the bottom of the eighth and top of the ninth and every thing that was hit, all he talked about was pitch speed, launch angle, exit velocity, etc...  He had no original ideas...

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

"Talent"?  Not production?  I think Trout is #1, but I think the rest of guys you have listed are definitely among the most talented.  I'd throw in Ke' Bryan Hayes, Freddie Freeman, Judge, Bregman, Correa, and Tatis in among the candidates.  I don't think any ranking would be absurd.

Wanted a list of the top players in the game today, without going solely based on a current stats; so some sort of combination of production and talent.  Thanks for the response.

16 minutes ago, posty said:

Decided to turn on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN last night and watch it with sound...  Eduardo Perez is AWFUL...

I caught the bottom of the eighth and top of the ninth and every thing that was hit, all he talked about was pitch speed, launch angle, exit velocity, etc...  He had no original ideas...

I think he's "ok" doing games, but he's great on MLB Radio as a talk show host.

2 hours ago, posty said:

well, baseballs big problem is attracting the under 50 crowd.  the last thing they should do is listen to people around or over 50.  People 50+ are locked in as fans.

Maddon out in Anaheim. Hard to make the case for keeping him. 

MJ Melendez is 1 OF start away from having eligibility at outfield in addition to catcher, and he's been hitting the ball well if anyone is looking for someone with position flexibility.

19 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Hader blew his first save in almost a year last night.  :( 

Probably because he was used in a non-save situation for the first time this year in his last outing...

But the Phillies bullpen almost bailed him out to give him the win...

Melendez with a 3 run hr tonight, and should become of eligible tomorrow

What can you say at this point? 9th walk off of the year. 

one of the big problems for MLB is that everyone under 40 consumes almost all of their media on their phone.  MLB games are over 3 hours long.  smartphones will run out of battery power before the game is over.  all sports need to cut their games to a standard movie runtime of around 1.5 hours.  mlb is putting in a pitch clock next year. this probably is really starting to negatively impact attendance too, as a 3 hour game again means your smartphone may run out of power long before the end.

6 minutes ago, posty said:

But how far?

I don't understand what you're asking.

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

I don't understand what you're asking.

It went over your head. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

It went over your head. 

Oh, yea the length of Witt Jr's home runs.  

Carlos Santana traded to the Mariners
Additionally, first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino has been selected from Triple-A Omaha