bostonlager

***80s Hair Rock Song Draft***

7 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Eruption Van Halen

Just to clairfy - off of their 1978 album so this is a wildcard play?

Just now, bostonlager said:

Sorry De Leopard To Late for Love/Catch22

22 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Sorry De Leopard To Late for Love/Catch22

I think the song you are referring to is Bringing on the Heartbreak - long version with Switch 625

do you want that or 

Too Late for Love?

13 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I think the song you are referring to is Bringing on the Heartbreak - long version with Switch 625

do you want that or 

Too Late for Love?

Heartbreak.I’m in urgent care for hours.

10 hours ago, Voltaire said:

No, just take whatever. We've gone 87, 87, 84, 81 so far. It's where you finish that counts.

That’s what she said. 

• Haha 1

Executive order #1

If a song was released in multiple years by the same band - you can't draft it for a different year. Once the song is gone -its gone. 

Just noticed this could be an issue. 

ETA - if you draft one of these songs you can change what year it counts on your scorecard. Let me know and I can change it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Executive order #1

If a song was released in multiple years by the same band - you can't draft it for a different year. Once the song is gone -its gone. 

Just noticed this could be an issue. 

ETA - if you draft one of these songs you can change what year it counts on your scorecard. Let me know and I can change it. 

The song I am referring to is Whitesnake - Here I go Again. Came out in 82 and they rerecorded in 1987, 

Herb can switch his years, but the rest of us cannot draft that song. 

2.4 Van Halen - And the Cradle Will Rock -1980

20 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Europe- The Final Countdown- 1986

Good pick. Not really a fan of it but the chorus is so damn catchy !!!

Just now, TommyGavin said:

Good pick. Not really a fan of it but the chorus is so damn catchy !!!

Thanks and kinda how I feel about the song too.

• Like 1

Excellent job so far to every one of you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bostonlager said:

The song I am referring to is Whitesnake - Here I go Again. Came out in 82 and they rerecorded in 1987, 

Herb can switch his years, but the rest of us cannot draft that song. 

Nice..will probably keep it there

On 4/20/2022 at 10:38 PM, bostonlager said:

I'm fine with Ozzy if you phags want him in, but the rules got posted two days prior and it would have been nice to hear objections then. 

To clarify, have we successfully whined and cried our way into allowing Ozzy into the draft? 

Without Blizzard of Oz, 1980 is a tough year. Most other bands don't exist, the ones that do, are just getting their footing. Meanwhile Ozzy was in midseason form and I don't have to reach for a top song.

Anyway, if bostonlager is willing to accommodate all the draft dropouts who make their own rules, I'm ready to go off the rails. I just hesitate because things were going wrong for him at the time, so I gotta listen to his words.

2.7 -  Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer" - 1986

3.1 is pending bostonlager's response to my Ozzy question in the above post.

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

I really dont consider 80-81 Ozzy hair metal

The Commish agrees with you which is why he initially blocked Ozzy by name. At the time, I was neutral. I didn't raise a fuss and was willing to go along with that decision since I saw it as commish prerogative. Further, I didn't like the way Ozzy got reinstated. But it does look like he reversed himself when the draft fell apart because people dropped out in protest. If the reversal stands, I'm taking (the hints should give it away) Crazy Train - 1980 here because I think its a great selection for the difficult early years. That said, I'm not going to b*tch and moan if he says 'no'. I'll say "OK", suck it up and move on. The commish can do what he wants. I also already have a backup song already selected.

This needs to come to a head and be clarified one way or the other. Hopefully folks stay on board this time. Whatever bostonlager decides, we accept.

57 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

The Commish agrees with you which is why he initially blocked Ozzy by name. At the time, I was/still am willing to go along with that decision. But it looks like he reversed himself because people dropped out of the draft in protest. If that's the case and Ozzy got re-instated, I'm taking (the hints should give it away) Crazy Train - 1980 here. If not, I do have a backup song already selected.

This needs to come to a head and be clarified one way or the other. Hopefully folks stay on board this time with whatever bostonlager decides firmly, and we move on.

I'm cool with Ozzy and you're right there is not much else out there till 83.

You know what, fock it, I'm not taking Crazy Train here. I changed my mind. 

But we still need a permanent Ozzy ruling. We've got Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, and Speak of the Devil in 1980, 81, and 82 (plus plenty more). If he really got re-instated, I still have his phone number, I'm sure I'll be dialing it up at some point. If not, I'll deal with it. If there's a vote, I vote yes.

3.1 Photograph - Def Leppard  - 1983

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

I love this song! 
I wanna play! 
I nominate Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue!

And….. You Swing Right Round Baby or was it called Round and Round? I forget who made it. 

If you want to jump in late, here in the third round, and catch up with make up picks, I'll support it.

There's six other people involved and I'm not the commish though, but you've got my support. We'll see what bostonlager and everybody else says.

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

If you want to jump in late here in the third round and make three make up picks, I'll support it.

There's six other people involved but you've got one vote.

I’m cool with that. Where she goes peeks my interest.Maybe makes this interesting.

1 minute ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

I’m cool with that. Where she goes peeks my interest.Maybe makes this interesting.

I'm cool with it too.

Just now, peenie said:

I actually don’t understand what’s going on. Are you each picking songs, one by one? These songs will go on a list that will later go head to head and then voted which is best? 

Yes, one by one. Sixteen songs total, One for each year from 1980-89 plus six more from any year. The extra six needn't  be from the 80s, they can be but they can be from before or after as well.  Max of two songs per artist per squad.

Lists are from these two sites although there is some discrepancies we're ironing out in regards to Ozzy Osbourne:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glam_metal_bands_and_artists

https://hairbands.xyz/bands/#a

Bostonlager keeps a running total of the songs picked so far in the first entry on page one of this thread. He'll update it when he wakes up.

The list you provided (excluding a couple) and the list SUX linked look pretty good. Alice N Chains, Pantera, Ozzy Osburne, and Ugly Kid Joe are not hair. I'm okay with all the rest from the wiki link or don't know them. 

Bostonlager narrowed the top list's entries with the above post, which caused some people to start quitting. It seemed like he relented here and they came back.

I'm fine with Ozzy if you phags want him in, but the rules got posted two days prior and it would have been nice to hear objections then. 

We'll need the status of Ozzy confirmed. I was going to push the issue by holding up the draft until we got a ruling, but ... eh.... I changed my mind and picked a different song. So it's still out there. Now (between a final Ozzy ruling and peenie wanting to jump in late) bostonlager will have two things to look at when he wakes up and checks in.

34 minutes ago, peenie said:

I actually don’t understand what’s going on. Are you each picking songs, one by one? These songs will go on a list that will later go head to head and then voted which is best? 

Also, are you in quarantine? The news says China is locked down.

Shanghai and 44 other cities are in lockdown and it's pretty heavy handed and excessive. It's pretty awful. But not here no. After about five weeks, life returned to normal here with no lockdowns since May 2020. All the horrible stories you read about/ see on TV are on the east coast and/or in the north. I'm in a small city in the southwest. None of the cities, even the huge ones, in this part of the country are dealing with these issues: Chongqing, Chengdu, Kunming, Guiyang.... nothing. The flareups are not here. 

Shanghai suffers so I can live a normal life. I wouldn't say I feel grateful though. What I feel is more along the lines of survivor's guilt. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

21 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I'm cool with it too.

3-0 with four still asleep.

That's two. (Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood and Extreme's More Than Words.) If you're in, you'll be taking three since we're paused at 3.2

And my issue with Ozzy wasn’t Blizzard or Diary but his and Lita Ford duet. Still out there - not technically a band. 

9 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

And my issue with Ozzy wasn’t Blizzard or Diary but his and Lita Ford duet. Still out there - not technically a band. 

That is another thing is solo artist count to if the are kinda hair bandish and was thinking Billy Squier ? Or all has to be bands ? I'd don't care much, just want to be sure on it.