Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Tyler Allgeier, Falcons

Draft Profile

Team Fit: A bit of a James Conner clone, the 224-pound Allgeier possesses above-average (if not very good) power and runs through most contact (70.9 percent of his yardage in 2021 came after initial contact). He complements his power well by running with patience, vision and discipline. Allgeier has good enough hands and showed enough attention to detail in the passing game at BYU that he has the upside to be a three-down back in the NFL someday. Ball security was a bit of a problem in 2021 (four fumbles) though and he doesn't always run through defenders when he should, making him sound a bit like the guy he will try to beat out this summer (Mike Davis). Allgeier may have the best shot at rookie-year fantasy relevance of any Day 3 running back. Cordarrelle Patterson's role is unlikely to change, but he could easily emerge as a major Week 1 contributor if he beats Davis in camp.

Davis was a big disappointment, I think for Allgeir this is a very good landing spot.  Based n the other Rbs the Falcons own , I think Allgeir could be a week 1 starter.  

The four consecutive scoreless goalline touches tonight against the second-string defense of the Jets was not a good look for him.

Must be the Falcons.  

They'll get Damien Williams back in a week, so I wouldn't get too excited about Allgeier.  Maybe if you need a one-week stopgap, but that's about it.

19 hours ago, AxeElf said:

They'll get Damien Williams back in a week, so I wouldn't get too excited about Allgeier.  Maybe if you need a one-week stopgap, but that's about it.

this wont stop some from getting on the train.

4 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

this wont stop some from getting on the train.

yeah but those matchups aren't ideal either.

20 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

yeah but those matchups aren't ideal either.

I know.   I looked at the guy.  if he had reasonable matchups I might be jumping on the train, but the Bucs have typically been tough to run against..   49ers should be tough too. Bengals as well.

likely all negative game scripts.

If I was shallow at the position I'd pick him up, but I wouldnt be breaking the Bank in terms of FAAB dollars to get the guy.

I wouldn’t spend FAAB on him, but if you don’t use FAAB sure why not pick him up. 

You can still put in a zero $ Faab bid, same thing as ‘picking someone up’..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You can still put in a zero $ Faab bid, same thing as ‘picking someone up’..

We agree. 

Thanks. 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:40 PM, AxeElf said:

Damien Williams hasn’t done much in his career. I’m surprised there’s not more enthusiasm for Allgeier but you guys must know something I don’t

9 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Damien Williams hasn’t done much in his career. I’m surprised there’s not more enthusiasm for Allgeier but you guys must know something I don’t

Its there schedule ... that's what's not exciting. .bucs,49ers,bengals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Damien Williams hasn’t done much in his career.

I think this is what those who discount him because he's "old" are missing.  He sat out a year because of COVID, and basically sat out another year riding the pine in Chicago.  He's got plenty of tread left on his tires, and when we last saw him in significant action, he was the MVP runner-up of Super Bowl LIV.

He makes a great complement to Patterson, who can't handle a full workload and stay healthy.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

He makes a great complement to Patterson, who can't handle a full workload and stay healthy.

So two RB's who can't handle a full workload, and stay healthy make a great compliment to each other? LMFAO...

I put in a measly 3% blind bid and got Algier.  Will keep him on my bench and watch his progress.  I've never seen him play.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

So two RB's who can't handle a full workload, and stay healthy make a great compliment to each other?

Yes, that's what the word means.  (Well, "complement," anyway, not "compliment.")

You know, like Jack Spratt and his wife?

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yes, that's what the word means.  (Well, "complement," anyway, not "compliment.")

You know, like Jack Spratt and his wife?

Why would that be a better compliment than two RBs who can handle a full workload and stay healthy?

20 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Why would that be a better compliment than two RBs who can handle a full workload and stay healthy?

That would tend more toward competition than cooperation.

And it's "complement," not "compliment."  A compliment would be if I said, "Nice spelling."

Ok so two guys who can’t stay on the field can complement each other in the training room. Got it.

‘Favorites & Fades’ article (this site) suggests Allgier as a solid RB2 in W5.  I’m leaning toward agreement in full & .5 ppr….if (er,…when) the Falcons are behind in this game, Allgier may get a plus in catches.  Thoughts? Anyone think that he’s worthy of a start as Flex or better?  

Depends on who one is sitting to start Allgeier. 

Sitting Allgeier & Dillon for J.Dobbins 

25 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

Sitting Allgeier & Dillon for J.Dobbins 

I have Dillon and Allgeier but should I start Zeke instead or maybe another WR in ppr

14 minutes ago, joeshushu said:

I have Dillon and Allgeier but should I start Zeke instead or maybe another WR in ppr

I'd probably go dillon not know your wr's

7 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

I'd probably go dillon not know your wr's

Yea going to start Dillion WRs would be agulair but or Elisha Moore

32 minutes ago, joeshushu said:

Yea going to start Dillion WRs would be agulair but or Elisha Moore

Illiterate or drunk?

Illiterate but waiting in the doctors office so I am a little distracted.  

On 10/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, IGotWorms said:

No mention of Caleb Huntley on this thread? I thought he looked the better back on Sunday. Allgeier had that 1 big run but besides that he looked slow to me. 

Huntley has an interesting shuffle with his feet when hitting the holes. He looks way more explosive IMO than Allgeier.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:40 PM, AxeElf said:

Williams has never been a bellcow so sure he would share with them but I wouldn’t assume he’d leapfrog Allgeier and Huntley on depth chart automatically. 

Williams is also owed next to nothing in terms of salary and he’s over 30. Patterson is also over 30 and coming off injury. Falcons are incentivized to see if they have something to build on with either Allgeier or Huntley.

39 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

No mention of Caleb Huntley on this thread? I thought he looked the better back on Sunday. Allgeier had that 1 big run but besides that he looked slow to me. 

Huntley has an interesting shuffle with his feet when hitting the holes. He looks way more explosive IMO than Allgeier.

UDFA that did nothing last year. I suppose anything’s possible but Allgeier had a little more invested in him, though he was only a 5th rounder :dunno:

42 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Williams has never been a bellcow so sure he would share with them but I wouldn’t assume he’d leapfrog Allgeier and Huntley on depth chart automatically. 

Williams is also owed next to nothing in terms of salary and he’s over 30. Patterson is also over 30 and coming off injury. Falcons are incentivized to see if they have something to build on with either Allgeier or Huntley.

I agree.

generally RB's over 30 have a short shelf life even if playing well.

I just wasnt buying because he has some tough matchups the next few weeks, so I'm not expecting any kind of breakout

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I wouldn’t assume he’d leapfrog Allgeier and Huntley on depth chart automatically.

He wouldn't have to; he was already ahead of both of them.

That's like saying you wouldn't assume Patterson will leapfrog all three of them when he returns.  (He will.)

19 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

generally RB's over 30 have a short shelf life even if playing well.

Damien Williams is only 26 in football years.

49 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Damien Williams is only 26 in football years.

And when he’s not opting out of seasons he’s injured. The dude is a 3rd down back / special teamer at this point of his career.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

UDFA that did nothing last year. I suppose anything’s possible but Allgeier had a little more invested in him, though he was only a 5th rounder :dunno:

This is the most ignorant and lazy response possible. Look what happened with Sermon and Mitchell last year. 

I’ll let you retract your statement that Huntley did nothing last year. Clearly you’re just looking at his stats. Dig deeper. Are you sure he did nothing? I think he did a lot.

Regardless, doesn’t matter what they did in the past, they’re both in competition with each other and from what I saw on film Sunday, Huntley looked the better back. Allgeier looks slow. What they did in college is irrelevant now.

11 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

This is the most ignorant and lazy response possible. Look what happened with Sermon and Mitchell last year. 

I’ll let you retract your statement that Huntley did nothing last year. Clearly you’re just looking at his stats. Dig deeper. Are you sure he did nothing? I think he did a lot.

Regardless, doesn’t matter what they did in the past, they’re both in competition with each other and from what I saw on film Sunday, Huntley looked the better back. Allgeier looks slow. What they did in college is irrelevant now.

He wasn’t even on the actual roster last year :wacko:

16 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

And when he’s not opting out of seasons he’s injured. The dude is a 3rd down back / special teamer at this point of his career.

No one's disputing that Patterson is the lead dog in the pack.  Williams is just the one to spell him, when Williams is healthy.