Voltaire

Final Vote for Hair Band Draft

80s Hair Band Final Round Voting  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following three playlists do you like best?

Voltaire

1980: Ozzy Osborne "Crazy Train"

1981: Van Halen "Unchained"

1982: Ozzy Osborne "Paranoid" 

1983: Def Leppard "Photograph" 

1984: Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane"

1985: Heart "These Dreams" 

1986: Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer" 

1987: Guns 'N Roses -  "Welcome to the Jungle"  

1988:  Poison "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" 

1989: Motley Crue "Dr. Feelgood" 

Wildcard: Queensryche "Silent Lucidity" - 1990

Wildcard: Gun 'N Roses "Paradise City" - 1987

Wildcard: Def Leppard  "Pour Some Sugar on Me" -1987 

Wildcard: Skid Row "18 and Life" - 1989

Wildcard:  Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive" - 1986 

Wildcard: Van Halen "Jump" - 1984

bostonlager

1980: Whitesnake "Fool For Your Loving"

1981: Motley Crue - "Live Wire"

1982: Sammy Hagar "Heavy Metal"

1983: Motley Crue " Looks That Kill"

1984: Dokken "Into the Fire"

1985: RATT "Lay it Down"

1986: Cinderella "Nobody's Fool"

1987: Great White "Rock Me" 

1988: KIX "Cold Blood"

1989: Skid Row "Youth Gone Wild"

Wildcard: Def Leppard "High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night) - 1981

Wildcard: Guns 'N Roses" Rocket Queen" - 1987 

Wildcard: Damn Yankees "Come Again" - 1990 

Wildcard: W.A.S.P. "Wild Child" - 1985

Wildcard: Skid Row "Quicksand Jesus" - 1991

Wildcard: Van Halen "And the Cradle Will Rock" - 1980

SUX

1980: Def Leppard "Rock Brigade" 

1981: Dokken "Breaking the Chains"

1982: Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me"

1983: Motley Crue - "Shout at the Devil"

1984:  RATT "The Morning After"

1985: Dokken "It's Not Love"

1986: Tesla "Modern Day Cowboy"

1987: White Lion "Wait"

1988: KIX "Don't Close Your Eyes"

1989: Badlands "Winter's Call"

Wildcard: Ozzy Osborne "Bark at the Moon" 1983 

Wildcard: Guns 'N Roses "Estranged" - 1991

Wildcard: Warranty "Uncle Tom's Cabin" - 1990

Wildcard: Ozzy Osborne "Mr Crowley - 1980

Wildcard: Skid Row "Monkey Business" -1991 

Wildcard: Steel Panther "Death to All But Metal" -2009

Bostonlager is busy and asked me to post this poll on his behalf. This is the final round.

1 hour ago, dain11279 said:

Damn Volty, that's a murderers row you got there :headbanger:

i think so, the draft fell into place beautifully for me, I got two top songs from many of the top bands, the years fell in place naturally with not much effort, and every one of my gambles paid off along the way.

At first, I'd not wanted to go #1 overall since I felt that I could go like ten different ways. I wasn't happy about it. Later, I warmed to it big time because by the time picks 14/15 rolled around, well, they didn't clear the tables fast enough, I was able to scoop up the backup song that I had been considering at #1 overall in "Livin' on a Prayer." When that was still there at the end of round two, I was ecstatic. I had the top G'N R, the top Bon Jovi and the top Def Leppard song, which was a helluva first three rounds IMO.

Meanwhile, I'd not prioritized the down years but don't feel like I paid a price for it. I kept swinging for the fences and later in the draft, I got better songs than I deserved at discount prices. Had I prioritized year, the same songs I would have taken in the 4/5 corner are the songs I wound up taking in rounds 12 and 13. They slid and it all clicked.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to flip a coin to see whether all my alias votes will go to sux or boston. 

Just now, Pimpadeaux said:

I'm going to flip a coin to see whether all my alias votes will go to sux or boston. 

Boston did have a good draft, but my Steel Panther pick should have put me over the top.

I didn't read the rules, but are Van Halen and Heart hairbands? I would think more Classic Rock since their biggest hits predated hair metal/ Just asking.

:dunno:

11 minutes ago, paulinstl said:

I didn't read the rules, but are Van Halen and Heart hairbands? I would think more Classic Rock since their biggest hits predated hair metal/ Just asking.

Yeah, that's part of my decision, which was for Boston.  My biggest complaint with Voltaire's was Ozzy; I saw that debate in the original thread and didn't chime in because it's not my draft, but I don't consider him Hair Metal.  Same for Bon Jovi, although those were two of my favorite songs from the decade, they just aren't Hair to me.  I love the rest of his picks though, including winning the Guns and Roses war.

Boston IMO had the most solid Hair draft front to back; nothing spectacular and a few a bit obscure, but a solid Cal Ripken run to the HOF.

Sux just sucks... seriously, decent draft but Ozzy, also Night Ranger.

FWIW I voted for @Herbivorein the prelims. :cheers:

6 hours ago, dain11279 said:

Damn Volty, that's a murderers row you got there :headbanger:

I gotta agree.....even though I can't stand most of it, it's the real stuff

1 hour ago, SUXBNME said:

Boston did have a good draft, but my Steel Panther pick should have put me over the top.

that's what got you disqualified 😉

11 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yeah, that's part of my decision, which was for Boston.  My biggest complaint with Voltaire's was Ozzy; I saw that debate in the original thread and didn't chime in because it's not my draft, but I don't consider him Hair Metal.  Same for Bon Jovi, although those were two of my favorite songs from the decade, they just aren't Hair to me.  I love the rest of his picks though, including winning the Guns and Roses war.

Boston IMO had the most solid Hair draft front to back; nothing spectacular and a few a bit obscure, but a solid Cal Ripken run to the HOF.

Sux just sucks... seriously, decent draft but Ozzy, also Night Ranger.

FWIW I voted for @Herbivorein the prelims. :cheers:

:cheers:

2 hours ago, paulinstl said:

I can see it. This is pretty hair bandy.

I don't see how Ozzy and "Paranoid" fit in there. 

3 hours ago, paulinstl said:

The hair bands really took off in 83-92 or so. 

You could argue that 1980, 81, and 82 should not have been on the list, while 90, 91, and 92 should have, but it made it more of a challenge. There were only a handful of albums to chose from in those earlier years.

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

The hair bands really took off in 83-92 or so. 

You could argue that 1980, 81, and 82 should not have been on the list, while 90, 91, and 92 should have, but it made it more of a challenge. There were only a handful of albums to chose from in those earlier years.

How do you list Ozzy and "Paranoid" when Black Sabbath put out that song a decade earlier? Lame 

13 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

How do you list Ozzy and "Paranoid" when Black Sabbath put out that song a decade earlier? Lame 

Fuck off and go die in a ditch, shitbag.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Yup. Focking cheater. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

off and go die in a ditch, shitbag.

Black Sabbath and their album and song "Paranoid"was released in 1970, so your clueless, ignorant ass is a long way off. You should be disqualified on that alone, crap mountain stupid machine. Lol. What an idiot.

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

Yup. Focking cheater. 

Wouldn't you know that the two tagteam fucktards I've publicly exposed for cheating at FFToday are united in hating me and are busy sucking each others dicks.

Unlike Rusty who can drown in a puddle of AIDS, I don't have hard feelings towards you anymore, kutulu. I have long ago forgiven you and moved on. So you do deserve the courtesy of a reply.

First, this draft has plenty of covers, exactly how many, I dunno but it wouldn't disqualify squat. Your brainless Wonder Twin didn't make the rules. Second, this song was written by Ozzy and belongs to Ozzy. Third, when the legalities were settled and Ozzy had won back the rights to his song from his former record label, he was able to perform it and re-release it in 1982 with his new band and his new record label. This is what that sounded like:

11 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I can see it. This is pretty hair bandy.

I don't see how Ozzy and "Paranoid" fit in there. 

Camel toe or a moose knuckle.

9 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Heavy Metal was 1981, not '82

You had my eyes pop out of my head and roll across the floor. That's the commissioner's team. What to do? We were close to a constitutional crisis.

When I scooped them up and popped them back in, I looked up the album on wikipedia which says it was recorded in 1981 but released January 6, 1982 which makes it an '82 song for draft purposes, not '81,  and the planets align properly after all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Hampton

53 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

You had my eyes pop out of my head and roll across the floor. That's the commissioner's team. What to do? We were close to a constitutional crisis.

When I scooped them up and popped them back in, I looked up the album on wikipedia which says it was recorded in 1981 but released January 6, 1982 which makes it an '82 song for draft purposes, not '81,  and the planets align properly after all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Hampton

Huh...I just remember seeing the movie in the summer between my junior and senior years of high school, which was '81. I see this from the Wkipedia page, though:

A different version of the song "Heavy Metal" was used for the soundtrack for the animated movie Heavy Metal

Fair enough...carry on.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Yes, I had this as a 81 potential, and was surprised by the 82 release.

1 hour ago, Herbivore said:

Yes, I had this as a 81 potential, and was surprised by the 82 release.

Unreal. You two guys with your Sammy Hagar trivia: knowing/getting confused over an album that was released less than a week +/- New Years' Day 1982.

I couldn't do that. I would call it a win if my guess date landed withing a three year window.

Unreal. You two guys with your Sammy Hagar trivia: knowing/getting confused over an album that was released less than a week +/- New Years' Day 1982.

I couldn't do that. I would call it a win if my guess date landed withing a three year window.

:P

9 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Wouldn't you know that the two tagteam fucktards I've publicly exposed for cheating at FFToday are united in hating me and are busy sucking each others dicks.

Unlike Rusty who can drown in a puddle of AIDS, I don't have hard feelings towards you anymore, kutulu. I have long ago forgiven you and moved on. So you do deserve the courtesy of a reply.

First, this draft has plenty of covers, exactly how many, I dunno but it wouldn't disqualify squat. Your brainless Wonder Twin didn't make the rules. Second, this song was written by Ozzy and belongs to Ozzy. Third, when the legalities were settled and Ozzy had won back the rights to his song from his former record label, he was able to perform it and re-release it in 1982 with his new band and his new record label. This is what that sounded like:

"Paranoid" doesn't belong on the list. This is like someone drafting "Stairway to Heaven" because Heart had a hair-band period and performed it in 2012 at the Kennedy Center.

Ozzy didn't incorporate hair-metal elements into his music until the late 1980s, so he was not hair metal when he covered this not-hair-metal song in the early 1980s, you tedious piece of sh!t. It's blasphemous to even mention "Paranoid" and "hair metal" in the same sentence.

You didn't "expose" sh1t, Geraldo. You had no proof cause it didn't happen. 

19 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

"Paranoid" doesn't belong on the list. This is like someone drafting "Stairway to Heaven" because Heart had a hair-band period and performed it in 2012 at the Kennedy Center.

Ozzy didn't incorporate hair-metal elements into his music until the late 1980s, so he was not hair metal when he covered this not-hair-metal song in the early 1980s, you tedious piece of sh!t. It's blasphemous to even mention "Paranoid" and "hair metal" in the same sentence.

Three things.

First, the draft nearly collapsed before it started over the issue of who should and should not be included.  Ozzy, specifically, by name, was the one who took center stage in that discussion. Further, when that was ongoing, I didn't weigh in because I myself was conflicted on whether to include him or not Tight? Loose? I was in regardless. Although I would have loved to draft Ozzy, clearly, my position was GM's prerogative and bostonlager had been in favor of a tighter rule. It wasn't me playing hardball with bostonlager on Ozzy's behalf. It was others that got him to concede the issue. When Ozzy got ruled in, all I did was adjusted my draft board accordingly to align with the decision. He clearly was pretty high priority on my list. In my opinion his three albums from 1980, 81, and 82 were the best albums available for each of those three years.

Second, going in we weren't sure what bands to include or not to include. Who's a hair band and who's not? Everyone had their own ideas. Well, we didn't make up the lists; we found two decent lists of artists to choose from online and figured "all right, those. No need to re-invent the wheel." Bostonlager perused the lists beforehand and signaled Ozzy and another half dozen others he wanted stricken off the list by name, which is what triggered the argument that nearly sank the draft. Actually it DID sink the draft.  Bostonlager resuscitated it by deferring to whoever made the lists. Artists that were on either one of the lists were included, Ozzy was reinstated, and that's how the issue resolved.

Third, there was next to nothing available in 80, 81, and 82. These were proto-hair band days, the genre hadn't kicked in yet and the cupboards were already bare. Truth be told, those years had no business being included, especially while the early 90s were left off. Were I GM, (and I'm glad I wasn't since this decision would have been a mistake) once I'd forseen that, I would have left those three years off entirely to be honest and I'd have replaced them with 1990, 91, and 92. Hindsite is 20/20 and I would have been wrong. I'm now glad they were included and I tip my cap to bostonlager for doing so, because those three years were the prime focus for a significant part of the  strategy decisions revolving around them. '80, '81, and '82 were the musical equivalent of drafting tight ends. Ozzy had gotten re-instated and since he'd released a new album in all three problem years he became a huge priority for me. (Again, IMO Ozzy's three albums were easily the best three available in each of the problem years, so his being re-instated was huge. It changed my early round strategy entirely. I very well might have taken an Ozzy song all three years had I not been capped at two songs per artist. Since I thought Diary was the weakest of the three albums, I skipped it and prioritized taking my favorite songs from the other two and went with Van Halen's "Unchained" in 1981 to fill in the third year). 

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

You didn't "expose" sh1t, Geraldo. You had no proof cause it didn't happen. 

The only reason I had no proof was because Mike's GM powers don't indicate whether a post had been edited or not. When it became "he said" vs "he said", that was the end. We both know that Bill accidentally left you off his list that year. We also both know that you took advantage of that oversite to weasel your way back into the contest by editing your pick from San Francisco to Seattle after the games started. 

Ever since that year, to maintain the integrity of Bill's contests, I've taken the time to quietly archive the results so that nobody would try to pull a kutulu ever again.

2022 Guess the Winner of the Superbowl Shark Tooth Contest. - The Geek Club - FFToday Forums (archive.ph)

You think I do this all these years since then for no reason? I do it because of YOU. YOU broke the honor system around here.

No, I didn't. But you ruined the bored contests for me with your false allegations. So much so I don't take part in them anymore. Thanks for that, fockface. Anyway back to ignoring your posts, asswipe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, posty said:

Great, another tooth contest I lost...

I've never won either, but I've gone down to the wire on three or four occasions.

Three things.

First, the draft nearly collapsed before it started over the issue of who should and should not be included.  Ozzy, specifically, by name, was the one who took center stage in that discussion. Further, when that was ongoing, I didn't weigh in because I myself was conflicted on whether to include him or not Tight? Loose? I was in regardless. Although I would have loved to draft Ozzy, clearly, my position was GM's prerogative and bostonlager had been in favor of a tighter rule. It wasn't me playing hardball with bostonlager on Ozzy's behalf. It was others that got him to concede the issue. When Ozzy got ruled in, all I did was adjusted my draft board accordingly to align with the decision. He clearly was pretty high priority on my list. In my opinion his three albums from 1980, 81, and 82 were the best albums available for each of those three years.

Second, going in we weren't sure what bands to include or not to include. Who's a hair band and who's not? Everyone had their own ideas. Well, we didn't make up the lists; we found two decent lists of artists to choose from online and figured "all right, those. No need to re-invent the wheel." Bostonlager perused the lists beforehand and signaled Ozzy and another half dozen others he wanted stricken off the list by name, which is what triggered the argument that nearly sank the draft. Actually it DID sink the draft.  Bostonlager resuscitated it by deferring to whoever made the lists. Artists that were on either one of the lists were included, Ozzy was reinstated, and that's how the issue resolved.

Third, there was next to nothing available in 80, 81, and 82. These were proto-hair band days, the genre hadn't kicked in yet and the cupboards were already bare. Truth be told, those years had no business being included, especially while the early 90s were left off. Were I GM, (and I'm glad I wasn't since this decision would have been a mistake) once I'd forseen that, I would have left those three years off entirely to be honest and I'd have replaced them with 1990, 91, and 92. Hindsite is 20/20 and I would have been wrong. I'm now glad they were included and I tip my cap to bostonlager for doing so, because those three years were the prime focus for a significant part of the  strategy decisions revolving around them. '80, '81, and '82 were the musical equivalent of drafting tight ends. Ozzy had gotten re-instated and since he'd released a new album in all three problem years he became a huge priority for me. (Again, IMO Ozzy's three albums were easily the best three available in each of the problem years, so his being re-instated was huge. It changed my early round strategy entirely. I very well might have taken an Ozzy song all three years had I not been capped at two songs per artist. Since I thought Diary was the weakest of the three albums, I skipped it and prioritized taking my favorite songs from the other two and went with Van Halen's "Unchained" in 1981 to fill in the third year). 

"Paranoid" isn't a hair-band song, and Ozzy wasn't in a hair band when he made that live album. That's two strikes against its inclusion.

In addition, Van Halen isn't a hair band, either.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2010/07/19/the-top-ten-bands-most-often-miscategorized-as-hair-metal-9-van-halen/

So your list is fraught with disqualifications.

Sad that this was such a stressful, hissy-fit-inducing affair for you.

Perhaps you should step back, reflect and work on yourself, starting with you being a hypocritical commie.

38 minutes ago, kutulu said:

No, I didn't. But you ruined the bored contests for me with your false allegations. So much so I don't take part in them anymore. Thanks for that, fockface. Anyway back to ignoring your posts, asswipe.

You've been nursing this grudge for what is it? Twelve years or longer? Every single flare up since then follows the exact same pattern. You say some bullsh*t about me, and I re=explain all over again why you're acting like a focking jerk.   Everyone, would have forgotten this If you weren't a douchebag to me every now and again. 

II don't hate you. I forgave you and moved on long ago. I never talk about you and I never bring you up. Frankly, I'd long be willing to interact with you normally rather than the 'ships passing in the night' thing we do when we see each other's posts. i suspect this contest here would have been right up your alley had you wanted to participate; I know you like these bands, or if not heavier ones. Feel free to join one, I wouldn't object, on the contrary, I'd welcome it since I'd think that'd break the ice.

2 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Perhaps you should step back, reflect and work on yourself, starting with you being a hypocritical commie.

Perhaps I should step back and realize interacting with you isn't worth my time and effort. It is the posting equivalent of cleaning dogsh*t off the bottom of my shoe. I've been doing pretty good at ignoring you for the most part in current events threads. Mostly Mostly. I made a conscious effort to do so a few weeks back since I don't have time to give up my mornings wrestling in the mud. But in this thread, until it falls off the first page, there's just no way around the stench.

9 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Perhaps I should step back and realize interacting with you isn't worth my time and effort. It is the posting equivalent of cleaning dogsh*t off the bottom of my shoe. I've been doing pretty good at ignoring you for the most part in current events threads. Mostly Mostly. I made a conscious effort to do so a few weeks back since I don't have time to give up my mornings wrestling in the mud. But in this thread, until it falls off the first page, there's just no way around the stench.

Kind of hard to even get dogsh*t on your shoes when your country rounds them up and serves them for dinner.

All of this long-winded, pseudointellectual bluster of yours will never qualify "Paranoid," Ozzy and Van Halen for hair-band territory. 

I'm surprised you didn't include Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain." 

Willie has had long hair since the 1970s and performed that song countless times in the 1980s. 

POW! HAIR BAND AND HAIR-BAND SONG!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Kind of hard to even get dogsh*t on your shoes when your country rounds them up and serves them for dinner.

All of this long-winded, pseudointellectual bluster of yours will never qualify "Paranoid," Ozzy and Van Halen for hair-band territory. 

I'm surprised you didn't include Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain." 

Willie has had long hair since the 1970s and performed that song countless times in the 1980s. 

POW! HAIR BAND AND HAIR-BAND SONG!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

while I agree with the general premise, I am not getting the "anger" here. let it go. the bands were on the list we chose as acceptable. it was for fun. no one really cares who wins the vote. 

52 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

while I agree with the general premise, I am not getting the "anger" here. let it go. the bands were on the list we chose as acceptable. it was for fun. no one really cares who wins the vote. 

I'm not angry. I'm amused at how worked up Doltaire has gotten over all this. Funny stuff.

1 hour ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I'm not angry. I'm amused at how worked up Doltaire has gotten over all this. Funny stuff.

Nah, you’re the head clown here. Clownzo.