Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf's 2022 Drafts

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I know...  Usually my first draft is before Memorial Day, but I'm cutting way back this year.  I just couldn't let July get away without getting my feet wet.

So I'll tell you the scoring afterwards, but the league is "Noah's Arktion" and it's a 12 team league that starts 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 2 Flex, 2 DST and 1 SFlex.  Two by two, get it?  13 starters each week and an 11 player bench, so we're going pretty deep.

It was an auction draft with a $351 budget; supposedly if you din't use the full $351 you added your leftovers to your FAB, but everyone used their full auction budget anyway.

The Kakorrhaphiophobiaxe

QB:  Marcus Mariota (14) $19, Mitch Trubisky (9) $17, Kenny Pickett (9) $4, Gardner Minshew (7) $1

RB:  Derrick Henry (6) $102, Jonathan Taylor (14) $96, J.K. Dobbins (10) $28, Damien Harris (10) $20, Gus Edwards (10) $1, Damien Williams (14) $1

WR:  CeeDee Lamb (9) $23, Keenan Allen (8) $16, Chris Godwin (11) $4, Amon-Ra St. Brown (6) $4, Marquise Brown (13) $4, Michael Gallup (9) $1, DJ Chark, Jr. (6) $1, Marvin Jones, Jr. (11) $1

TE:  Mike Gesicki (11) $2, Albert Okwuegbunam (9) $2, Evan Engram (11) $1, CJ Uzomah (10) $1

DST:  Arizona Cardinals (13) $1, Washington Commanders (14) $1

Remaining:  $0

Not bad, right?

And now, the scoring...

Passing:  20 yds per pt, 1 pt at 275 yards, 2 pts at 400 yards, 4 pts at 525 yards, 4 pt TD, -2 INTs, 2 pt CONV, 0.5 per 40 yard completion, 0.5 per 40 yard TD

Rushing:  0.4 per attempt, 5 yards per point, 2.5 pts at 75 yards, 5 pts at 100 yards, 10 pts at 125 yards, 6 pt TD, 2 pt CONV, -1 FUM, -2 FUM LOST, 2 per 40 yard run, 4 per 40 yard TD, 0.25 per rushing 1st down

Receiving:  0.1 per reception, 7.5 yards per point, 1 pt at 80 yards, 2 pts at 130 yards, 4 pts at 180 yards, 6 pt TD, 2 pt CONV, 2 per 40 yard completion, 2 per 40 yard TD, 0.2 per receiving 1st down

Defensive scoring is pretty standard, but like 1 pt more than usual for everything, so like 2 pts per sack, 3 pts per turnover, 3 pts per safety, 7 pts per TD, etc.

Anyway, as you can see, it's tilted wildly toward RBs, of which I clearly have the best stable in the league!

I should be scoring around 110-120 pts each week at the RB position, not to mention as many other RBs as I can load into the flex/superflex positions.  lol

And the WRs aren't bad, either!

May have to do some trading at QB, especially if one of my starters goes down, but I have the collateral to do so.  I'm hoping Mariota will be a bit of a steal with those kinds of points for any scrambling/rushing he might do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TL:DR

 

But if you want to do a best ball let me know.  I will do some drafts and am flexible on dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Damn, can start 3 QBs seems like a rough roster. 4 pt passing TDs is a help. 

But why would you start 3 QBs, when most RBs will outscore them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Damn, can start 3 QBs seems like a rough roster. 4 pt passing TDs is a help. 

Looks to me like the commish of this league was hoping he'd get some suckers that didn't look at the scoring.

A typical decent QB day... let's say 275 and 2 TDs is going to be around 23 points.

A typical decent runningback week... let's say 15 carries for 75 yards and 0.5 TDs.  Throw in 3 first down runs and 2 receptions for 10 yards.  That's worth 28 points.  

True work horse backs in that scoring system are going to be gold.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 yards rushing by itself is 35 points... lol  Maybe 42 if you get the bonuses at 75 and 100 yards as well as the bonus at 125.  That doesn't even account for the 0.4 points for every carry which would likely tack on another 6-8.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nobody said:

True work horse backs in that scoring system are going to be gold.

You got it!

Taylor and Henry are projected for 681 and 632 points respectively, the top two projected point totals in the league.  Josh Allen is third at 586, and the next RBs (Chubb, Mitchell, Cook) are all projected for about 100 points less than Taylor and Henry (550ish).

And since the scoring system kind of devalues WRs, I was still able to land 5 of the top 25 projected WRs as well (Lamb, Allen, Godwin, Brown and St. Brown).

I will struggle a bit at TE, and possibly a bit at QB (need a reliable 3rd for bye weeks!) unless Mariota can do some work with his legs--but I think my stable of 4-5 starting RBs will ameliorate those issues.

We shall see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nobody said:

125 yards rushing by itself is 35 points... lol  Maybe 42 if you get the bonuses at 75 and 100 yards as well as the bonus at 125.

Yes, the bonuses are cumulative--so yeah, 125 rushing yards is 42.5 points, not counting the points per carry, any receiving stats, any TDs, and any first down or distance bonuses.

I think their projections for Taylor and Henry are a little low.  I think they will regularly post 55-60 points each per week, making their season totals closer to 1000 points than 700, but time will tell.

I think you're right about the Commish being a little sneaky, though.  That's why he made receptions .1 instead of 1--if you're not looking closely, one might think it's a full PPR, instead of a negligible PPR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of a minor point, but I thought my selection of defenses (Arizona and Washington) was pretty shrewd, too.  They have their byes in Weeks 13 and 14, which means I'm not going to try carrying a third DST for bye weeks during the year, and hopefully by the time Week 13 rolls around, some of the hoarded defenses will be dropped for me to pick up for free, instead of having to fight for a third DST in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

damn, better luck on the next one 

Thank you!

Better luck than I had in this draft would mean handing me the trophy before the season even starts--so I hope your kind wishes come true!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously it’s a good draft, when one can buy the top two Rbs. 

In a redraft league that’s never going to happen, that’s why I think redraft are much tougher leagues.  

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case I forgot to mention it, I should make public notice that this is a redraft league--which of course makes it much tougher than those dynasty or keeper leagues, and therefore much more worthy of your adulation and admiration.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but it was an auction draft, which makes it a lot easier then a snake draft, no way one picked up the two top Rbs in a snake redraft league.  

I think it was a good draft based on the scoring system, why to navigate the system.  

Agree redrafts are tougher then dynasty or keeper and of course auction drafts. 

But auction drafts are like best ball drafts, Elementary. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's a good draft considering the scoring system.

It always pays to know the scoring system well. Many rankings go on generic standard scoring or standard PPR, but most leagues have some variations

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I think you're right about the Commish being a little sneaky, though.  That's why he made receptions .1 instead of 1--if you're not looking closely, one might think it's a full PPR, instead of a negligible PPR.

And he tried to hide the fact that you get 6 pts for 40 yd runs by breaking it up as 2 pts and 4 pts for 40 yard runs.  

Nefarious.

 * I know it was a typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nobody said:

Looks to me like the commish of this league was hoping he'd get some suckers that didn't look at the scoring.

A typical decent QB day... let's say 275 and 2 TDs is going to be around 23 points.

A typical decent runningback week... let's say 15 carries for 75 yards and 0.5 TDs.  Throw in 3 first down runs and 2 receptions for 10 yards.  That's worth 28 points.  

True work horse backs in that scoring system are going to be gold.

welp, I didn’t even read the scoring after the lineup requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All joking aside (because I’ve never seen asself live up to his own hype), it was a solid theoretical draft based on the scoring system. Solid because he overpaid for Dobbins, Harris, Lamb and Allen. I would have rather seen one more true 3 down back than $48 combined for Dobbins and Harris. If $48 wasn’t enough to Land one more, then skip Lamb since receivers are neutered in this format. 
also 1 sflex I’m assuming is 1 super flex which means this is a 3 QB league. QB scoring may not touch RB scoring but no team is going to have enough RBs to fill 2RB/2 flex and a super flex. So in a start 3 QB league, this stable of QBs blows… Really badly. Should have ignored WR completely in favor of a QB and I’d have to see what all the QBs went for but spending $19 and $17 on guys who may not be starting after week 5 seems like a kick in the groin.  
 

I commend the frugal spending on Godwin, brown, st brown, gesicki, Albert O. I would have stuck with that strategy rather than spending the $39 on Lamb and Allen. 
 

I’d never waste my time on a league like this. Scoring systems that are too odd ball are very often done that way purposely by the commish or by commish and a buddy or two. … as already pointed out. 
 

what does the commish roster look like? Do you know the commish or anyone else in the league?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Solid because he overpaid for Dobbins, Harris, Lamb and Allen.

I get the impression that you're another one who jumped in to offer your parental guidance without actually reading the conditions of the draft, but since you seem to think that $20 is a lot to spend on a RB in this league, let me translate from our $351 draft budget to a standard $200 draft budget:

Derrick Henry (Ten - RB) $58
Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB) $55
J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB) $16
CeeDee Lamb (Dal - WR) $13
Damien Harris (NE - RB) $11
Marcus Mariota (Atl - QB) $11
Mitch Trubisky (Pit - QB) $10
Keenan Allen (LAC - WR) $9
Amon-Ra St. Brown (Det - WR) $2
Chris Godwin (TB - WR) $2
Kenny Pickett (Pit - QB) $2
Marquise Brown (Ari - WR) $2
Albert Okwuegbunam (Den - TE) $1
Mike Gesicki (Mia - TE) $1
Arizona (Ari - DEF) $1
C.J. Uzomah (NYJ - TE) $1
Damien Williams (Atl - RB) $1
DJ Chark Jr. (Det - WR) $1
Evan Engram (Jax - TE) $1
Gardner Minshew II (Phi - QB) $1
Gus Edwards (Bal - RB) $1
Marvin Jones Jr. (Jax - WR) $1
Michael Gallup (Dal - WR) $1
Washington (Was - DEF) $1

Paying $27 for both Dobbins and Harris would be a steal in a REGULAR league, let alone one in which 45 yards and a TD gets more than 20 points.

And WRs may be neutered in this league, but with my weakness at QB, it still doesn't hurt to have solid WRs that at least won't lose any more ground relative to the pack--and $22 for both Lamb and Allen doesn't seem crazy even in this scoring system.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I would have rather seen one more true 3 down back than $48 combined for Dobbins and Harris.

I'm kind of curious who you think would be an affordable "true 3 down back" after Henry and Taylor--or why you think sinking another quarter of my draft budget into a third stud would help me more than being able to start 4 or 5 solid, if not spectacular, RBs.  Sure, it would have been nice to get Najee Harris as well, but then I have like $36 left (in standard $200 terms) for my other 10 starters and 11-player bench.  If you don't like my QBs now...

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

QB scoring may not touch RB scoring but no team is going to have enough RBs to fill 2RB/2 flex and a super flex.

I do.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I’d have to see what all the QBs went for but spending $19 and $17 on guys who may not be starting after week 5 seems like a kick in the groin.

Not guys; guy.  I spent $21 on Trubisky and Pickett combined, so barring catastrophe, I have PIT's guaranteed starter for the season.  I was hoping to get Ridder to back Mariota, but he went in the $1 rounds before I could get him.  He's still a possible trade target, but I'm not going crazy about it yet.  And Mariota, being a decent running/scrambling QB, does add some value in this scoring system for as long as he can hold the job.

Here are the other QB prices:

Josh Allen (Buf - QB) $96
Lamar Jackson (Bal - QB) $79
Jalen Hurts (Phi - QB) $75
Justin Herbert (LAC - QB) $75
Kyler Murray (Ari - QB) $75
Trey Lance (SF - QB) $75
Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB) $73
Joe Burrow (Cin - QB) $72
Dak Prescott (Dal - QB) $71
Matthew Stafford (LAR - QB) $67
Tom Brady (TB - QB) $66
Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) $65
Russell Wilson (Den - QB) $62
Derek Carr (LV - QB) $61
Justin Fields (Chi - QB) $59
Kirk Cousins (Min - QB) $58
Jameis Winston (NO - QB) $56
Trevor Lawrence (Jax - QB) $54
Tua Tagovailoa (Mia - QB) $52
Mac Jones (NE - QB) $41
Carson Wentz (Was - QB) $38
Daniel Jones (NYG - QB) $38
Jared Goff (Det - QB) $35
Matt Ryan (Ind - QB) $35
Ryan Tannehill (Ten - QB) $31
Zach Wilson (NYJ - QB) $28
Davis Mills (Hou - QB) $26
Deshaun Watson (Cle - QB) $25
Marcus Mariota (Atl - QB) $19
Baker Mayfield (Car - QB) $18
Mitch Trubisky (Pit - QB) $17
Jimmy Garoppolo (SF - QB) $15
Jacoby Brissett (Cle - QB) $11
Geno Smith (Sea - QB) $9
Drew Lock (Sea - QB) $4
Kenny Pickett (Pit - QB) $4
Sam Darnold (Car - QB) $3
Andy Dalton (NO - QB) $1
Case Keenum (Buf - QB) $1
Desmond Ridder (Atl - QB) $1
Gardner Minshew II (Phi - QB) $1
Malik Willis (Ten - QB) $1
Taylor Heinicke (Was - QB) $1
Teddy Bridgewater (Mia - QB) $1
Trevor Siemian (Chi - QB) $1
Tyler Huntley (Bal - QB) $1
Tyrod Taylor (NYG - QB) $1

 

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I commend the frugal spending on Godwin, brown, st brown, gesicki, Albert O. I would have stuck with that strategy rather than spending the $39 on Lamb and Allen. 

There is some merit to this, but you never know what deals will present themselves in the twilight of auction drafts.  When we're still in the first 50 picks, they seemed like reasonable prices at the time.  If I'd known top 20 WRs would be available for under $5 late in the draft, maybe I would have staked out another mid-range RB and run with Godwin, Brown and St. Brown--but hindsight is 20/20.  That's kind of what I like about these unusual drafts, though--it's a lot harder to predict how they will flow.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I’d never waste my time on a league like this. Scoring systems that are too odd ball are very often done that way purposely by the commish or by commish and a buddy or two. … as already pointed out.

See, that's just the difference in our approach.  I've pretty much mastered the art of fantasy football in its more standard forms; the challenge of Rubik's leagues is where it's at for me now.  Gee, you think someone set this scoring system up purposely, rather than just applying random settings?  There's the kind of insight you don't get anywhere else...

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

what does the commish roster look like? Do you know the commish or anyone else in the league?

It's a public prize league on Yahoo; I don't know anyone else in the league.

Here is the Commish's team.  Interestingly enough, he did it kind of like you suggested--he basically spent $145 (of a $200 budget) on RBs (though he kind of went for PPR specialists for some reason), still spent $36 on Evans and Higgins--but he's got Baker Mayfield, Geno Smith, and Desmond Ridder as his QBs.

Dalvin Cook (Min - RB) $74
Joe Mixon (Cin - RB) $73
D'Andre Swift (Det - RB) $55
Aaron Jones (GB - RB) $52
Mike Evans (TB - WR) $21
Baker Mayfield (Car - QB) $18
Tee Higgins (Cin - WR) $15
Geno Smith (Sea - QB) $9
Dalton Schultz (Dal - TE) $7
T.J. Hockenson (Det - TE) $6
Dawson Knox (Buf - TE) $4
Brandin Cooks (Hou - WR) $2
Jerry Jeudy (Den - WR) $2
New Orleans (NO - DEF) $2
San Francisco (SF - DEF) $2
Allen Lazard (GB - WR) $1
Chicago (Chi - DEF) $1
Desmond Ridder (Atl - QB) $1
J.D. McKissic (Was - RB) $1
Jakobi Meyers (NE - WR) $1
Jeff Wilson Jr. (SF - RB) $1
Marquez Valdes-Scantling (KC - WR) $1
Seattle (Sea - DEF) $1
Van Jefferson (LAR - WR) $1

It may come down to whoever's QBs stay healthy and productive.  It will be interesting for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I get the impression that you're another one who jumped in to offer your parental guidance without actually reading the conditions of the draft, but since you seem to think that $20 is a lot to spend on a RB in this league, let me translate from our $351 draft budget to a standard $200 draft budget:

Derrick Henry (Ten - RB) $58
Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB) $55
J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB) $16
CeeDee Lamb (Dal - WR) $13
Damien Harris (NE - RB) $11
Marcus Mariota (Atl - QB) $11
Mitch Trubisky (Pit - QB) $10
Keenan Allen (LAC - WR) $9
Amon-Ra St. Brown (Det - WR) $2
Chris Godwin (TB - WR) $2
Kenny Pickett (Pit - QB) $2
Marquise Brown (Ari - WR) $2
Albert Okwuegbunam (Den - TE) $1
Mike Gesicki (Mia - TE) $1
Arizona (Ari - DEF) $1
C.J. Uzomah (NYJ - TE) $1
Damien Williams (Atl - RB) $1
DJ Chark Jr. (Det - WR) $1
Evan Engram (Jax - TE) $1
Gardner Minshew II (Phi - QB) $1
Gus Edwards (Bal - RB) $1
Marvin Jones Jr. (Jax - WR) $1
Michael Gallup (Dal - WR) $1
Washington (Was - DEF) $1

Paying $27 for both Dobbins and Harris would be a steal in a REGULAR league, let alone one in which 45 yards and a TD gets more than 20 points.

And WRs may be neutered in this league, but with my weakness at QB, it still doesn't hurt to have solid WRs that at least won't lose any more ground relative to the pack--and $22 for both Lamb and Allen doesn't seem crazy even in this scoring system.

 

I read everything about the league and the draft. I also understand that posting in your topics is like talking to a brick wall because of your self given persona and that you don't want to hear comments besides the highest of praise but I felt like discussing your draft anyway. 

You don't need to translate your league budget to a $200 league budget. Makes zero difference. There is no need to say "paying $27 for Dobbins and Harris would be a steal in a REGULAR league".... you can simply claim it's a steal in your league.... and we can disagree. 

WR's are neutered and you blew most of your budget on the consensus top 2 RB's... that's fine but you would have been better off securing a better QB1 than bothering with Lamb to be honest. You didn't acknowledge my comment that this is a 3 QB league (based on the super flex) because you know I'm right. 

 

Quote

I'm kind of curious who you think would be an affordable "true 3 down back" after Henry and Taylor--or why you think sinking another quarter of my draft budget into a third stud would help me more than being able to start 4 or 5 solid, if not spectacular, RBs.  Sure, it would have been nice to get Najee Harris as well, but then I have like $36 left (in standard $200 terms) for my other 10 starters and 11-player bench.  If you don't like my QBs now...

I said true 3 down back... I didn't say it had to be a stud. Never said Najee. Was Mixon cheaper? How much did Fournette and Conner run? Dobbins and Harris are nice backs and i'm not disagreeing that having 2 more nice backs behind your 2 studs is a good thing, I just find it odd that you targeted a pair of time splitters. We know the league is goofily skewed toward RB's... I think a third mega volume guy might have been better.   In the end, I simply said I would have rather seen that.  Your strategy may pan out. 

Quote

I do.

yeah? which RB are you starting at super flex? Damien Williams?  my point is, it is doubtful any team has a 5th RB worth starting over any middling QB3 in a superflex league.... and you don't. 

Quote

Not guys; guy.  I spent $21 on Trubisky and Pickett combined, so barring catastrophe, I have PIT's guaranteed starter for the season.  I was hoping to get Ridder to back Mariota, but he went in the $1 rounds before I could get him.  He's still a possible trade target, but I'm not going crazy about it yet.  And Mariota, being a decent running/scrambling QB, does add some value in this scoring system for as long as he can hold the job.

Here are the other QB prices:

Josh Allen (Buf - QB) $96
Lamar Jackson (Bal - QB) $79
Jalen Hurts (Phi - QB) $75
Justin Herbert (LAC - QB) $75
Kyler Murray (Ari - QB) $75
Trey Lance (SF - QB) $75
Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB) $73
Joe Burrow (Cin - QB) $72
Dak Prescott (Dal - QB) $71
Matthew Stafford (LAR - QB) $67
Tom Brady (TB - QB) $66
Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) $65
Russell Wilson (Den - QB) $62
Derek Carr (LV - QB) $61
Justin Fields (Chi - QB) $59
Kirk Cousins (Min - QB) $58
Jameis Winston (NO - QB) $56
Trevor Lawrence (Jax - QB) $54
Tua Tagovailoa (Mia - QB) $52
Mac Jones (NE - QB) $41
Carson Wentz (Was - QB) $38
Daniel Jones (NYG - QB) $38
Jared Goff (Det - QB) $35
Matt Ryan (Ind - QB) $35
Ryan Tannehill (Ten - QB) $31
Zach Wilson (NYJ - QB) $28
Davis Mills (Hou - QB) $26
Deshaun Watson (Cle - QB) $25
Marcus Mariota (Atl - QB) $19
Baker Mayfield (Car - QB) $18
Mitch Trubisky (Pit - QB) $17
   

 What i said was you spent $19 and $17 on guys who may not be starting by week 5. I fully understand you guaranteed Pitt's starting QB (woo hoo!), but your top 2 spends at the position could be riding the pine sooner than later.  Had you not overspent on Lamb and Allen, I know it would have taken some tweaking elsewhere as well, but I think a QB in that Wilson, Carr, Cousins range could have been really helpful. Granted, replacing Mariota with one of them still doesn't net you 3 starters which is actually the larger issue.   Maybe you should have found a way to get Matty Ice and your boy Danny Dimes (stud right?).  You'd be golden if you had 3 secure starting QB's, one in the super flex spot, and Pickett backing up Trubisky. 

Quote

There is some merit to this, but you never know what deals will present themselves in the twilight of auction drafts.  When we're still in the first 50 picks, they seemed like reasonable prices at the time.  If I'd known top 20 WRs would be available for under $5 late in the draft, maybe I would have staked out another mid-range RB and run with Godwin, Brown and St. Brown--but hindsight is 20/20.  That's kind of what I like about these unusual drafts, though--it's a lot harder to predict how they will flow.

It's just as easy to predict how unusual leagues auction drafts will flow. With a more standard setup, you have AAP to go off of.... well, when you have a scoring system so heavily skewed to one position, and a superflex roster spot, you can read the tea leaves and realize pass catchers will come pretty cheap, aside from the clueless owners who overspend for a name. But again, you mostly did well here.

 

Quote

See, that's just the difference in our approach.  I've pretty much mastered the art of fantasy football in its more standard forms; the challenge of Rubik's leagues is where it's at for me now.  Gee, you think someone set this scoring system up purposely, rather than just applying random settings?  There's the kind of insight you don't get anywhere else...

I've had enough conversations with you here and during some IBL drafts to know that I have more FF experience than you do. A league like this has nothing to do with "mastering FF in it's standard forms"... this league setup and scoring system is not interesting or challenging. It's blatantly goofy at the whim of the commish. As you later state, it's a public prize league on yahoo.... not exactly some amazing test of FF skill. 

Purposely as in purposely to get some owners who likely won't pay attention to the large skewing.... not "done purposely" versus "done randomly" :rolleyes:

 

Quote

It's a public prize league on Yahoo; I don't know anyone else in the league.

Here is the Commish's team.  Interestingly enough, he did it kind of like you suggested--he basically spent $145 (of a $200 budget) on RBs (though he kind of went for PPR specialists for some reason), still spent $36 on Evans and Higgins--but he's got Baker Mayfield, Geno Smith, and Desmond Ridder as his QBs.

Dalvin Cook (Min - RB) $74
Joe Mixon (Cin - RB) $73
D'Andre Swift (Det - RB) $55
Aaron Jones (GB - RB) $52
Mike Evans (TB - WR) $21
Baker Mayfield (Car - QB) $18
Tee Higgins (Cin - WR) $15
Geno Smith (Sea - QB) $9
Dalton Schultz (Dal - TE) $7
T.J. Hockenson (Det - TE) $6
Dawson Knox (Buf - TE) $4
Brandin Cooks (Hou - WR) $2
Jerry Jeudy (Den - WR) $2
New Orleans (NO - DEF) $2
San Francisco (SF - DEF) $2
Allen Lazard (GB - WR) $1
Chicago (Chi - DEF) $1
Desmond Ridder (Atl - QB) $1
J.D. McKissic (Was - RB) $1
Jakobi Meyers (NE - WR) $1
Jeff Wilson Jr. (SF - RB) $1
Marquez Valdes-Scantling (KC - WR) $1
Seattle (Sea - DEF) $1
Van Jefferson (LAR - WR) $1

It may come down to whoever's QBs stay healthy and productive.  It will be interesting for sure.

 Oddly, I think he almost made the same mistake you did. Ignoring QB almost completely in a super flex. Overspent on initial WR's but also got great value with his grabs of Cooks, Jeudy and Lazard for a combined $5. He took a similar approach in not overspending on TE... he spent more than you but got better TE's. Would I rather have Gesicki, Albert O, Stone Hands and Uzomah for $6  or  Schultz for $7... probably your 4 but getting Hock and Knox for an extra $10 only seems pretty solid. 

As for RB's, I take your top 2 of course... but it also cost you $51 extra...i'm guessing close to the price of a 3rd workhorse. The totality of your top 4's are pretty close if we assume good health. 

But you managed to do better at QB... so I'm not trashing your team, I simply gave honest feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

You don't need to translate your league budget to a $200 league budget. Makes zero difference. There is no need to say "paying $27 for Dobbins and Harris would be a steal in a REGULAR league".... you can simply claim it's a steal in your league.... and we can disagree.

Yeah, but I like to make sure people feel EXTRA wrong and not just wrong.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

You didn't acknowledge my comment that this is a 3 QB league (based on the super flex) because you know I'm right.

I not only addressed it; I rebutted it--not because you were right, but because you were wrong.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

yeah? which RB are you starting at super flex? Damien Williams?

Both Damien Williams and Gus Edwards will probably score more each week than some scrub $20 QB.  I'll save the other one for bye weeks.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I said true 3 down back... I didn't say it had to be a stud. Never said Najee. Was Mixon cheaper? How much did Fournette and Conner run? Dobbins and Harris are nice backs and i'm not disagreeing that having 2 more nice backs behind your 2 studs is a good thing, I just find it odd that you targeted a pair of time splitters.

If you don't think Fournette and Conner are time splitters, you might be over your head in this conversation.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Maybe you should have found a way to get Matty Ice and your boy Danny Dimes (stud right?).  You'd be golden if you had 3 secure starting QB's, one in the super flex spot, and Pickett backing up Trubisky. 

I would have been even better off if I had found a way to draft Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes, with Kelce and Waller at TE and Adams and Jefferson at WR, but I couldn't quite pull it off.

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

It's just as easy to predict how unusual leagues auction drafts will flow.

I'll just file this under "unsubstantiated claims."

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

this league setup and scoring system is not interesting or challenging

I'll just file this under "varying opinions."

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

not exactly some amazing test of FF skill.

It has certainly highlighted some of your weaknesses in assessing a draft based on an alternative scoring system.

But that's what you have Axe Elf for...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2022 at 7:36 AM, WhiteWonder said:

All joking aside (because I’ve never seen asself live up to his own hype), it was a solid theoretical draft based on the scoring system. Solid because he overpaid for Dobbins, Harris, Lamb and Allen. I would have rather seen one more true 3 down back than $48 combined for Dobbins and Harris. If $48 wasn’t enough to Land one more, then skip Lamb since receivers are neutered in this format. 
also 1 sflex I’m assuming is 1 super flex which means this is a 3 QB league. QB scoring may not touch RB scoring but no team is going to have enough RBs to fill 2RB/2 flex and a super flex. So in a start 3 QB league, this stable of QBs blows… Really badly. Should have ignored WR completely in favor of a QB and I’d have to see what all the QBs went for but spending $19 and $17 on guys who may not be starting after week 5 seems like a kick in the groin.  
 

I commend the frugal spending on Godwin, brown, st brown, gesicki, Albert O. I would have stuck with that strategy rather than spending the $39 on Lamb and Allen. 
 

I’d never waste my time on a league like this. Scoring systems that are too odd ball are very often done that way purposely by the commish or by commish and a buddy or two. … as already pointed out. 
 

what does the commish roster look like? Do you know the commish or anyone else in the league?

Going out on a limb, but I'm willing to bet that OP is the commish of this league.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Going out on a limb, but I'm willing to bet that OP is the commish of this league.

There’s a strong chance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Going out on a limb, but I'm willing to bet that OP is the commish of this league.

 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

There’s a strong chance. 

Those with keen powers of observation and reasoning might note that if that were the case, the Commissioner's team (posted above) would be the same as Axe Elf's team (posted above).

Your powers of observation and  reasoning may vary.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of along the lines of "who's wowing in camp," I put Edwards and Gallup on IR and spent $4 FAB to add Matt Corral and Eric Saubert, who appears to be giving my Albert O. some competition for the TE job in Denver, so I have that covered now.

Corral is starting to look like he might beat out both 2018 #1 picks at QB:

Quote

But all eyes are on Corral. Fans cannot get enough of the third-round rookie quarterback. During warm-ups, Corral went 4-for-4 during a bucket drill, where the quarterbacks dropped back from 11 yards outside the end zone and aimed for a tall black hoop underneath the goal posts. Darnold, Mayfield and Walker all missed more attempts than they made. Corral was nothing but net.

LINK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Corral has some wheels, too.  He could be a huge asset in this league if he can get the job.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct  he won’t be a big asset if he can’t get the job done, right on tough guy.  

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, WhiteWonder said:

 Oddly, I think he almost made the same mistake you did. Ignoring QB almost completely in a super flex. Overspent on initial WR's but also got great value with his grabs of Cooks, Jeudy and Lazard for a combined $5. He took a similar approach in not overspending on TE... he spent more than you but got better TE's. Would I rather have Gesicki, Albert O, Stone Hands and Uzomah for $6  or  Schultz for $7... probably your 4 but getting Hock and Knox for an extra $10 only seems pretty solid. 

Commish didn't need to draft qbs.  He can use his other team he has in the league to trade himself one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, nobody said:

Commish didn't need to draft qbs.  He can use his other team he has in the league to trade himself one.

Heh.  He had to draft from his phone for about 20 minutes as he drove to pick up his daughter, so if he could manage to draft two teams in an auction draft on his phone while driving (with the clock set to 15 secs for noms and 10 secs for bids), he deserves my forty bucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2022 at 5:36 AM, WhiteWonder said:

All joking aside (because I’ve never seen asself live up to his own hype), it was a solid theoretical draft based on the scoring system. Solid because he overpaid for Dobbins, Harris, Lamb and Allen. I would have rather seen one more true 3 down back than $48 combined for Dobbins and Harris. If $48 wasn’t enough to Land one more, then skip Lamb since receivers are neutered in this format. 
also 1 sflex I’m assuming is 1 super flex which means this is a 3 QB league. QB scoring may not touch RB scoring but no team is going to have enough RBs to fill 2RB/2 flex and a super flex. So in a start 3 QB league, this stable of QBs blows… Really badly. Should have ignored WR completely in favor of a QB and I’d have to see what all the QBs went for but spending $19 and $17 on guys who may not be starting after week 5 seems like a kick in the groin.  
 

I commend the frugal spending on Godwin, brown, st brown, gesicki, Albert O. I would have stuck with that strategy rather than spending the $39 on Lamb and Allen. 
 

I’d never waste my time on a league like this. Scoring systems that are too odd ball are very often done that way purposely by the commish or by commish and a buddy or two. … as already pointed out. 
  

what does the commish roster look like? Do you know the commish or anyone else in the league?

Id agree that WR's in this scoring system are worth considerably less.

my only critique was spending $39 on Lamb and Allen.  in this format big money shouldnt be spent at WR.    you could have got an upgrade on one of your  QB for that and maybe continue the frugal spending at WR.

that said it looks like a solid roster.  Probably  a playoff team.   but not a championship roster.

I give it a B minus.    Good but not great.

granted later in the year when we have injuries, the multiple QB/RB will serve you well.   Depth is good.  I just feel you needed one higher ranked passer to push you into contender territory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

my only critique was spending $39 on Lamb and Allen.  in this format big money shouldnt be spent at WR...  maybe continue the frugal spending at WR

Since Lamb and Allen together would cost $95 toward our auction budget if this were a normally-scored PPR league, I thought spending $39 on the pair WAS being frugal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Since Lamb and Allen together would cost $95 toward our auction budget if this were a normally-scored PPR league, I thought spending $39 on the pair WAS being frugal...

fair enough.

its also far harder to critique in an auction because some players you dont forsee going as cheap as they do but by the time they come up you may not have the cash to take advantage of the situation.

all I'm saying is in this format money spent at QB probably trumps money spent on WR.

that said, there is a lot of math needed to participate in a draft like this because you need to know where the value for your money is   WR is worth less than in a standard league with standard scoring and for sure less than standard PPR scoring.    and with 2(or 3 via superflex) QB's starting more on a QB seemed to make sense.  one better QB may have put you over the top even if it is at the expense of one of those WR.

Either way, its a strange one to look at due to the wacky scoring format but thanks for posting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

all I'm saying is in this format money spent at QB probably trumps money spent on WR.

In any auction draft, money spent wisely trumps money spent foolishly.  If I can draft two $20 QBs that hold down the fort while the rest of my team is outscoring the rest of the league, I spent money wisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Since Lamb and Allen together would cost $95 toward our auction budget if this were a normally-scored PPR league, 

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts 🥜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiteWonder said:

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts 🥜 

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Since Lamb and Allen together would cost $95 toward our auction budget if this were a normally-scored PPR league,

my last point on this.    this is not a normally scored PPR league.   so we cannot view this as the same.

the scoring system is geared towards RBs first.  QB's second.    WR's and TE after that.

that's just the way of things.   if this were normal PPR rules I'd have given you a higher rating.  

But in a 2 QB, 2 RB with superflex you should be overloaded at RB and QB.    you have the QB depth.  just not quite good enough on the top end talent at the position in my opinion.

by forfeiting one of the high priced WR, that situation would have been likely resolved.   and considering your ability to find bargain WR as showed in some of your other picks, I think it would have served you well.

I dont think its a championship team, but it could have been.  you were close but in this case likely a playoff team but not likely a draft winner.   Then again I could have overestimated the amount the WR position was nerfed by the rules but it seems pretty bad in terms of devaluing the position.

and a 2 QB league is always tight for the position and in a superflex format you could theoretically start 3 QB.   Thats huge.

of course you are starting 3 RBs instead.  thats also good I'm just not sure if there is more value starting 3 RB's or 3 QB's but in a normal 2 QB league when you have 12 teams and only 2 starting slots at QB, there are not enough starting QB's for every team to have a backup.  I know this because my own 2 QB league has the same problem.  it really jacks up the value of the position.  with the superflex option I'd guess this happens even more in this format.

if trades are allowed in the league, you may be able to make this up with some good trades.    Its not a lost season.  one good Trade, free agent pickup or waiver wire pickup can make the difference here. 

It is still a solid draft.  but a lot needs to go right for you to get a championship out of this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

that said, there is a lot of math needed to participate in a draft like this because you need to know where the value for your money is   WR is worth less than in a standard league with standard scoring and for sure less than standard PPR scoring.    and with 2(or 3 via superflex) QB's starting more on a QB seemed to make sense.  one better QB may have put you over the top even if it is at the expense of one of those WR.

When determining auction values in an odd league like this, I'd do something like this:

  1. Estimate the number of starters at each position
  2. Project total points for all the players in the draft pool
  3. Add up the total number of points expected to be scored in the league using the estimates from steps 1 and 2
  4. Divide the total points projected in the league by the total league auction budget.  For instance in this league, one might predict the league will score around 35000 points total in a 14 week regular season (that's just a SWAG based on teams averaging around 200ish points per game), and the budget is $4212 (351 x 12 teams)
  5. Average dollar per point is now 4212/35000 = 0.12
  6. Multiply projected dollar per point by projected points per player and you should have a pretty good idea what they should go for.

So let's say you think Henry should average 50 points a game for 14 weeks.  That's 700*.12 = $84 fair value for Henry.  

Now the tricky part is we need to be tweaking that dollar per point number by some fudge factor throughout the draft to account for draft inefficiencies.  This fudge factor should change based on how cheap or expensive players are going at any one point in the draft relative to fair value.  For instance maybe you can start at 0 adjustment and if guys are going cheap, you'll need to spend a little more on future players until people start spending too much to allow you to spend less.  Pretty easy spreadsheet to make.  Every time a player goes too cheap the discount goes into the total league budget and of course, if someone goes too expensive, that delta above fair value should come out of the league budget.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nobody said:
  • Estimate the number of starters at each position
  • Project total points for all the players in the draft pool
  • Add up the total number of points expected to be scored in the league using the estimates from steps 1 and 2
  • Divide the total points projected in the league by the total league auction budget.  For instance in this league, one might predict the league will score around 35000 points total in a 14 week regular season (that's just a SWAG based on teams averaging around 200ish points per game), and the budget is $4212 (351 x 12 teams)
  • Average dollar per point is now 4212/35000 = 0.12
  • Multiply projected dollar per point by projected points per player and you should have a pretty good idea what they should go for.

Fork that sheet, just draft Taylor and Henry and outscore the rest of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Fork that sheet, just draft Taylor and Henry and outscore the rest of the league.

Sorry, dude.  I plugged in the FFtoday projections for Henry and Jonathan Taylor and then de-rated them for 14 weeks since those are season long projections.  Then I gave them each 150 in bonuses, and Henry should've went for $69 and Taylor should've went for $72

However!  If teams only score 150 points per game instead of 208 like I had orginally, then they should've gone for $96 and $100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×