Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf's 2022 Drafts

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I understand why you dont use tiers yourself.   but even if you dont use tiers yourself this tool is helpful in determining how others will behave because a lot of others use the tiering system.

As the subject of this claim, I am happy to report that it is completely false.

I never know if someone is using "tiers" or what players they may assign to what tiers even if they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, almost forgot to report back to you guys on Sunday night's draft--a lesson in how to win a Superflex league with three $1 QBs.

Of course, I could really only consider that in a 10 team league; $1 QBs in a 12 team SFlex league are non-starters.

And it helps to have a little of that wacky rushing scoring like we saw in my first draft of the year, although in this case, not quite as extreme with the yardage pts (back to 1 pt per 10 yards, both rushing and receiving) or bonus points (1@100, 2@150, 3@200 both rushing and receiving).  It does still have the 1 and 2 pt bonuses for 40 yard plays (pass/rush/rec) and 40 yard TDs (pass/rush/rec) respectively, a full point for a first down pass/rush/reception, a full PPR--and most importantly, a full PPC!

QBs get standard scoring (25 yds/pt, 4 pt pass TDs, -1 INTs) PLUS 1 pt per completion and -1 pt per incompletion.  So a high-volume passer will make 3-4 pts per week on average more than low-volume passers--but QBs with wheels will get a boon from the full point-per-carry.  So WRs are not as devalued in this league as the other one, but they're still not on par with QBs, who are a little enhanced from the first league's scoring, but the real workhorse RBs getting 25 carries a game are still going to rule.  Pretty standard K/D scoring, with deductions for missed XPs and missed FGs under 30 yards.

Since we only start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 SFlex, 1 K and 1 D, with only 6 bench slots (10 teams x 15 players = 150 players drafted, including 20 Ks and Ds), I figured I could pretty much fill out my team with dollar players after landing Taylor and Henry and still be competitive.  Realistically, I figured I could get them both for $140.

I was close--Henry cost $71 and Taylor $66--which in retrospect are actually pretty ridiculous prices compared to what other quality RBs later sold for--but with this scoring, they're worth it!  These were actually the 2nd and 3rd highest prices paid for RBs in the auction; some poor guy typoed a $35 bid for Nick Chubb, and took him home for $135.

The only other RB to go for more than $46 was Ekeler, at $51.  So yup, I paid dearly for my advantage.  I just hope it's enough.

QB:  Marcus Mariota (14) $1, Deshaun Watson (9) $1, Jacoby Brissett (9) $1

RB:  Derrick Henry (6) $71, Jonathan Taylor (14) $66, Travis Etienne (11) $18, Damien Harris (10) $9, James Robinson (11) $6 (So $170 out of $200 spent on RBs.  lol)

WR:  Amon-Ra St. Brown (6) $8, Chris Godwin (11) $5, Diontae Johnson (9) $4, Juju Smith Schuster (8) $4, Marquise Brown (13) $4  ($25 more on WRs, leaving $5 for the other 5 players)

TE:  Mike Gesicki (11) $1

K:  (Empty)

DST:  Arizona Cardinals (13) $1

Remaining:  $0

Not sure why I drafted a DST, really--especially the one that plays KC in Week 1.  So I'll fix that before the games start.  I basically rostered Deshaun Watson instead of a Kicker.  Should know before the season starts if he'll play after 6 games, so I can drop him for a K if he's out for the year, but if he plays, he could be a league winner.

I also liked the fact that Marcus Mariota scored 14.7 fantasy points in this scoring system on the first drive of his first preseason game, so as with the other league, I think I'm getting some sneaky rushing stats out of this $1 QB.

As long as I have ONE decent QB, I'm not convinced that I would lose too much by Superflexing a solid RB like Etienne or Harris if I had to, with this scoring.  But hopefully the Henry/Taylor advantage will stay healthy and productive and I'll go undefeated--and I suddenly have a lot more interest in the Deshaun Watson situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, AxeElf said:

Yes, the bonuses are cumulative--so yeah, 125 rushing yards is 42.5 points, not counting the points per carry, any receiving stats, any TDs, and any first down or distance bonuses.

I think their projections for Taylor and Henry are a little low.  I think they will regularly post 55-60 points each per week, making their season totals closer to 1000 points than 700, but time will tell.

I think you're right about the Commish being a little sneaky, though.  That's why he made receptions .1 instead of 1--if you're not looking closely, one might think it's a full PPR, instead of a negligible PPR.

Being a sneaky commish is a good way to lose friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DrG said:

Being a sneaky commish is a good way to lose friends.

there are no friends in fantasy football.  only opponents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends who you are playing. If the commish isn’t above board with the rules, you’ll have a lot of pissed off people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrG said:

Depends who you are playing. If the commish isn’t above board with the rules, you’ll have a lot of pissed off people

It's a private prize league on Yahoo.  He doesn't have the power to do anything underhanded without causing everyone's money to be refunded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone out there has ever quit heroin, but I can't imagine that it's any worse than going from 60 leagues to 5 leagues in one season.

The fever is full upon me now, and the urge to draft twice a day stalks my every waking thought.

Three long weeks until the opener.

God help me...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, AxeElf said:

Jeez, almost forgot to report back to you guys on Sunday night's draft--a lesson in how to win a Superflex league with three $1 QBs.

Of course, I could really only consider that in a 10 team league; $1 QBs in a 12 team SFlex league are non-starters.

And it helps to have a little of that wacky rushing scoring like we saw in my first draft of the year, although in this case, not quite as extreme with the yardage pts (back to 1 pt per 10 yards, both rushing and receiving) or bonus points (1@100, 2@150, 3@200 both rushing and receiving).  It does still have the 1 and 2 pt bonuses for 40 yard plays (pass/rush/rec) and 40 yard TDs (pass/rush/rec) respectively, a full point for a first down pass/rush/reception, a full PPR--and most importantly, a full PPC!

QBs get standard scoring (25 yds/pt, 4 pt pass TDs, -1 INTs) PLUS 1 pt per completion and -1 pt per incompletion.  So a high-volume passer will make 3-4 pts per week on average more than low-volume passers--but QBs with wheels will get a boon from the full point-per-carry.  So WRs are not as devalued in this league as the other one, but they're still not on par with QBs, who are a little enhanced from the first league's scoring, but the real workhorse RBs getting 25 carries a game are still going to rule.  Pretty standard K/D scoring, with deductions for missed XPs and missed FGs under 30 yards.

Since we only start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 SFlex, 1 K and 1 D, with only 6 bench slots (10 teams x 15 players = 150 players drafted, including 20 Ks and Ds), I figured I could pretty much fill out my team with dollar players after landing Taylor and Henry and still be competitive.  Realistically, I figured I could get them both for $140.

I was close--Henry cost $71 and Taylor $66--which in retrospect are actually pretty ridiculous prices compared to what other quality RBs later sold for--but with this scoring, they're worth it!  These were actually the 2nd and 3rd highest prices paid for RBs in the auction; some poor guy typoed a $35 bid for Nick Chubb, and took him home for $135.

The only other RB to go for more than $46 was Ekeler, at $51.  So yup, I paid dearly for my advantage.  I just hope it's enough.

QB:  Marcus Mariota (14) $1, Deshaun Watson (9) $1, Jacoby Brissett (9) $1

RB:  Derrick Henry (6) $71, Jonathan Taylor (14) $66, Travis Etienne (11) $18, Damien Harris (10) $9, James Robinson (11) $6 (So $170 out of $200 spent on RBs.  lol)

WR:  Amon-Ra St. Brown (6) $8, Chris Godwin (11) $5, Diontae Johnson (9) $4, Juju Smith Schuster (8) $4, Marquise Brown (13) $4  ($25 more on WRs, leaving $5 for the other 5 players)

TE:  Mike Gesicki (11) $1

K:  (Empty)

DST:  Arizona Cardinals (13) $1

Remaining:  $0

Not sure why I drafted a DST, really--especially the one that plays KC in Week 1.  So I'll fix that before the games start.  I basically rostered Deshaun Watson instead of a Kicker.  Should know before the season starts if he'll play after 6 games, so I can drop him for a K if he's out for the year, but if he plays, he could be a league winner.

I also liked the fact that Marcus Mariota scored 14.7 fantasy points in this scoring system on the first drive of his first preseason game, so as with the other league, I think I'm getting some sneaky rushing stats out of this $1 QB.

As long as I have ONE decent QB, I'm not convinced that I would lose too much by Superflexing a solid RB like Etienne or Harris if I had to, with this scoring.  But hopefully the Henry/Taylor advantage will stay healthy and productive and I'll go undefeated--and I suddenly have a lot more interest in the Deshaun Watson situation.

Looks good.  All you need is a QB, TE, couple of WRs, and RB depth and you should do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JagFan said:

Looks good.  All you need is a QB, TE, couple of WRs, and RB depth and you should do well.

Mariota is a wild card at QB. Watson would be a decent gamble for the back end of the year but he already said "If he's suspended I'm dropping him"

The Watson thing is a good example of you either have to go all in on a thought or not at all- you can't half butt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Watson will be available for the playoff push.

Although I'm not sure how interested I'd be in starting a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nobody said:

Looks like Watson will be available for the playoff push.

Although I'm not sure how interested I'd be in starting a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

Not sure I'm really willing to hold him for 11 weeks either, with such small benches in a small league.  Probly just throw him back for a Kicker, and see how my QB situation has developed by Week 8 or 9 if he's still sitting there.

In any case, I wouldn't be starting him so much for his arm as I would be for his legs, so I'm not too concerned about the rust from not playing in two years.  You don't forget how to scramble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Not sure I'm really willing to hold him for 11 weeks either, with such small benches in a small league.

Just dropped Watson for Zach Wilson; I'll decide who to drop for a Kicker between him and Brissett as Week 1 approaches.  Tempting to keep Wilson over Brissett, assuming he only misses a week or two--especially now that I know Brissett will be out for the playoffs as Watson returns.

Might try to pick up Watson again as Week 11 draws near, if he's still on the wire and I have expendable players--but yeah, 11 weeks taking up a non-IR bench slot for a 5 week playoff run seems silly--especially with the potential to suck eggs for the first few weeks he does play anyway.  That's all I would need, to start Deshaun Watson in the playoffs and have him throw for 178/0/3 or something.

...and Wilson was in the top half of the league in rushing yardage by a QB last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised Zach Wilson was on the waiver wire in a super flex league.  Even one this shallow.  That's a nice get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nobody said:

Surprised Zach Wilson was on the waiver wire in a super flex league.  Even one this shallow.  That's a nice get.

Geno Smith and Drew Lock are both on waivers, as is Trubisky--and of course now Brissett--and every backup QB in the league.  I just thought Wilson had the most likelihood of meaningful rushing stats--he was #16 in rushing among QBs last season.

Like I said in a league this small with benches this short, no need to panic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nobody said:

Surprised Zach Wilson was on the waiver wire in a super flex league.  Even one this shallow.  That's a nice get.

This is what I’ve thought for a while…nobody agrees with AxElf, and I’m assuming nobody cares.  I see no value in Zach Wilson personally, and I’ll bet nobody drafts him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JagFan said:

This is what I’ve thought for a while…nobody agrees with AxElf, and I’m assuming nobody cares.  I see no value in Zach Wilson personally, and I’ll bet nobody drafts him.

lol  Sounds like the kind of sour grapes that a fan of some terrible team who drafted the wrong rookie QB with the #1 pick last year might...

Oh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

lol  Sounds like the kind of sour grapes that a fan of some terrible team who drafted the wrong rookie QB with the #1 pick last year might...

Oh.

Trevor will finish as a top 5 fantasy QB this year in most formats. Keep this thread handy to refer back to at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s going to be a good stream Qb, but I don’t see top five, he doesn’t have the talent around him, and I question his talent to be a top five ff Qb. 

But for Jaguars fans I hope so. 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fourth league for 2022 will be just a plain ol' 10 team half-PPR league, pretty much a standard double-flex league in every way--perfect for a midnight Saturday auction draft!  There were no Konami cheat codes with the scoring this time, but it's really hard to imagine anyone dominating a redraft the way I dominated last night's fiasco.

I mean, first of all, I got Derrick Henry, so game over right there, pretty much.  When Henry got hurt last year in the 8th week, he was 42.4 fantasy points ahead of 2nd place, Jonathan Taylor, in half-PPR scoring.  In other words, the difference between Henry and the RB2 (who was having an outstanding season himself) was greater than the difference between the RB2 and the RB13 at the time.  Henry isn't just in a tier by himself, he's in a league of his own.  He's a RB who gets QB points.

So I drafted the #1 RB--by a wide margin--but then I also drafted the #6 and #9 RBs from 2021, not to mention the #7 RB over the 2nd half of the 2021 season--all of which are returning to the same roles on the same teams with the same coaching staffs in 2022.  So I could be starting four top 10 RBs each week this season, if I utilize RBs in both flex slots, including the one that is a league-winner all by himself.

At WR, I have one top 5 player from last season, projected as the top WR in 2022, and another top 5 player over the 2nd half of his (rookie) 2021 season--also both returning to the same roles on the same teams with the same QBs and coaching staffs in 2022.  And I don't know what the #2 WR for the Rams will be worth in 2022, but in 2021, Robert Woods was plugging along as the WR11 at the time he got hurt.  So another three top 10ish players at the WR position.

And I din't want to make anyone quit or anything, but if competing against all that doesn't already sound darn near impossible, consider that I also have a perennial top 5 QB who is always a threat to be the #1 overall at his position, as well.

Oh, and did I mention the top 5ish TE?

This wasn't a draft; it was a lesson.

QB:  Patrick Mahomes (8) $19

RB:  Derrick Henry (6) $54, Ezekiel Elliott (9) $20, Devin Singletary (7) $4, Cordarrelle Patterson (14) $2, Marlon Mack (6) $2, Damien Williams (14) $1, Trey Sermon (9) $1

WR:  Justin Jefferson (7) $62, Allen Robinson (7) $13, Amon-Ra St. Brown (6) $9, Marquez Valdes-Scantling (8) $3, Romeo Doubs (14) $3, Robert Woods (6) $2, Michael Gallup (9) $1

TE:  Dallas Goedert (7) $4

K:  Empty

DST:  Empty

Remaining:  $0

I put Gallup on IR and staked a claim for the Washington D (vs JAX) for Week 1; also claimed Gus Edwards so I could add him directly to the other IR slot.  I'll have to drop someone (probly between Sermon and Mack) for a K before Week 1.

Go forth and emulate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jeffkomlo said:

Keep em coming, I live for your drafts.

I know I usually do more drafts, but this year's drafts have been among the best of my career.

So what you're sacrificing in quantity, you are more than making up for in quality.

I mean there are kids playing fantasy football in third world countries who will never have a chance to see teams like this in their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, jeffkomlo said:

Keep em coming, I live for your drafts.

Code for

= who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love that E Campbell pic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Axe Elf

Who is your favorite late round tight end?

 

I see you have Mike gesicki in a few drafts, is he your target?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

@Axe Elf

Who is your favorite late round tight end?

 

I see you have Mike gesicki in a few drafts, is he your target?

One of them.  I wish I could have gotten my hands on more Ertz, as I believe he will tear things up early in the season, but I have also leaned on Goedert, whom I axually like better than Gesicki as well, but Gesicki is usually available longer/cheaper.

I think I will probably regret not drafting more Kmet.

So depending on how you define "late rounds"... from earliest to latest...

Ertz

Goedert

Kmet

Gesicki

I think any one of those will keep you competitive with TE5-TE10 kinds of numbers most weeks.

And let's not forget who made Ertz and Goedert fantasy relevant in the first place--that coach is now in Jacksonville with Evan Engram at his disposal.  I've only drafted Engram in one league that starts 2 TEs, but I like his sleeper upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

One of them.  I wish I could have gotten my hands on more Ertz, as I believe he will tear things up early in the season, but I have also leaned on Goedert, whom I axually like better than Gesicki as well, but Gesicki is usually available longer/cheaper.

I think I will probably regret not drafting more Kmet.

So depending on how you define "late rounds"... from earliest to latest...

Ertz

Goedert

Kmet

Gesicki

I think any one of those will keep you competitive with TE5-TE10 kinds of numbers most weeks.

And let's not forget who made Ertz and Goedert fantasy relevant in the first place--that coach is now in Jacksonville with Evan Engram at his disposal.  I've only drafted Engram in one league that starts 2 TEs, but I like his sleeper upside.

 

I will take any of those 4 against Austin hooper for double or nothing?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I will take any of those 4 against Austin hooper for double or nothing?

Well, it can't be nothing, because I already paid you for Antonio Brown's embarrassing showing in 2021, where he earned like half a point more than Robby Anderson.

But ok; you don't get lucky twice against Axe Elf.

I will bet $50 that one of those 4 outscores Austin Hooper in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, it can't be nothing, because I already paid you for Antonio Brown's embarrassing showing in 2021, where he earned like half a point more than Robby Anderson.

But ok; you don't get lucky twice against Axe Elf.

I will bet $50 that one of those 4 outscores Austin Hooper in 2022.

You have to choose one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

You have to choose one of them.

You said "any."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AxeElf said:

You said "any."

 

Yeah, I meant that you could choose any of those 4 to go up against hooper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Yeah, I meant that you could choose any of those 4 to go up against hooper.

: tailtuck :

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AxeElf said:

: tailtuck :

You want to get me on a technicality. I think it is obvious what I meant by my first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You want to get me on a technicality. I think it is obvious what I meant by my first post.

It is.

And then you backed away from it.

But that's ok.

Ertz and Goedert would be too easy, so how about Kmet?

That way I can still root for him even though I haven't had a chance to draft him--and there would still be some measure of suspense for a few weeks.

EDIT:  Bet is invalidated by either player missing more than 2 games due to injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AxeElf said:

It is.

And then you backed away from it.

But that's ok.

Ertz and Goedert would be too easy, so how about Kmet?

That way I can still root for him even though I haven't had a chance to draft him.

Kmet verse hooper, same rules as last year.

50 dollars

 

 

Basic scoring, ppr, 1 point per 10 yards(rushing or receiving), 6 points td, 4 points for throwing a td, 1 point per 25 yards passing, fractional scoring, typical fantasy season ie first 17 weeks of the 18 week season, no idp tackle points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Kmet verse hooper, same rules as last year.

50 dollars

 

 

Basic scoring, ppr, 1 point per 10 yards(rushing or receiving), 6 points td, 4 points for throwing a td, 1 point per 25 yards passing, fractional scoring, typical fantasy season ie first 17 weeks of the 18 week season, no idp tackle points.

Do you also agree to the EDIT, the bet is invalidated if either player misses 2 or more full games due to an official injury designation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Do you also agree to the EDIT, the bet is invalidated if either player misses 2 or more full games due to an official injury designation?

Ok, that is fine with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope you're talking about the Austin Hooper that blocks for Derrick Henry, and not some double-secret Austin Hooper that turns out to be Gronkowski under an assumed name or something.   Tennessee TEs are targeted like dozens of times over the course of a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, nobody said:

Surprised Zach Wilson was on the waiver wire in a super flex league.  Even one this shallow.  That's a nice get.

 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, JagFan said:

This is what I’ve thought for a while…nobody agrees with AxElf, and I’m assuming nobody cares.  I see no value in Zach Wilson personally, and I’ll bet nobody drafts him.

responding to both comments at once.

for the record, if this is superflex, every QB who is starting will be rostered (or if they arent, they should be)

I'll agree with nobody in telling Axe he did well to get Zach on waivers.   I agree.  While I dont agree with everything Axe says on this board if he picked up Zach Wilson on Waivers in a superflex league, I do agree with this particular move.  It was a good pickup.

QB's are worth a whole lot more in this format.   its a fun format to play.  you should try sometime.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

 

responding to both comments at once.

for the record, if this is superflex, every QB who is starting will be rostered (or if they arent, they should be)

I'll agree with nobody in telling Axe he did well to get Zach on waivers.   I agree.  While I dont agree with everything Axe says on this board if he picked up Zach Wilson on Waivers in a superflex league, I do agree with this particular move.  It was a good pickup.

QB's are worth a whole lot more in this format.   its a fun format to play.  you should try sometime.

 

I’ve played super flex quite a bit, and agree that it’s a fun format.  As for my post you quoted…I just couldn’t pass the opportunity of that moment.  I get very little from anything Ax posts.  He goes out of his way, or her way, to antagonize people.  It’s annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×