Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Preseason Week 2 - Observations

Doesn’t seem like a smart move to have ones starting rb returning kicks.  

I think it shows that Robinson is going to be more then just Gibson back up,  he’s going to get the short yardage work with out question. 

It is a smart move to rest ones starting rb in preseason games, like what the Texans did.  

we all know not all teams do what we think is smart.

they have their reasons.

Now that is interesting. 

Giants (vs Cinci)- Daniel Jones looked cool, collected and comfortable. He was also extremely accurate. Threw an INT, but it was a good pass just went off the hands of their rookie TE.

Kenny Golladay- Dude played but was freaking invisible. What a waste of money he was. I wouldn't touch him in fantasy.

58 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Giants (vs Cinci)- Daniel Jones looked cool, collected and comfortable. He was also extremely accurate. Threw an INT, but it was a good pass just went off the hands of their rookie TE.

Kenny Golladay- Dude played but was freaking invisible. What a waste of money he was. I wouldn't touch him in fantasy.

Just now catching on about Golladay.  Congrats 

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Just now catching on about Golladay.  Congrats 

I caught on long before you, but I see you still are clinging to the fallacy that Tyrod Taylor will play over a healthy DJ. SAD…

Huntley and the new TE likely looking awesome in Baltimore.   this makes me think we will see some 2 TE sets in Baltimore.   This kid has it.  

I know we aren t  playing against the 1's across the board, but its still an impressive performance

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Looks like you just noticed how much of a waste of money Golladay is two hours ago.  Thanks. 

58 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I caught on long before you, but I see you still are clinging to the fallacy that Tyrod Taylor will play over a healthy DJ. SAD…

Really that’s not what you said when they picked him up before last season. I did. 

What I said about Taylor and Dimes, those are bold predictions try to keep up.  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

those are bold predictions

More like dumb predictions.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, jrokh said:

if DJ is terrible I can see it happening.

but the last preseason game he looked reasonably good.  I agree on WeePaws view on that INT.  it went off hands of a player who should have caught it, but instead it went for an INT.  Those type of INT are not the fault of the QB.

Either way, I like Tyrod.  I think hes an  underrated player but I dont think hes likely to beat out DJ unless we see a situation where there are more INT than TD or unless an injury happens.

6 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I agree on WeePaws view on that INT

It was my view. I watched the game and reported my observations. Weepaws doesn't watch football, he just delivers bad fantasy takes that he mostly gets from reading blurbs on Rotoworld. Learn the difference...

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

It was my view. I watched the game and reported my observations. Weepaws doesn't watch football, he just delivers bad fantasy takes that he mostly gets from reading blurbs on Rotoworld. Learn the difference...

I get your point.

but rotoworld is sometimes right.    They are one of the better publications to get injury info out quickly.  

They are not necessarily always accurate on their fantasy opinions.    but If I want a timeline on an injury they are one of the better ones out there.   Mostly because I think they update their page more often.

That doesnt make them better.   Reporting factual information isnt rocket science.  you ask the team, they give you the most recent update -end of story.

if you want actual insight into whats happening or who is likely to breakout I feel roto is fairly Vanilla.  the provide the info the masses want to see.  Not necessarily the info that is correct.  They dont often go against conventional wisdom.

as for the play......

It is my view that if the WR got two hands on the ball the ball it should be caught.   sure the ball placement was high but there was close coverage from a guy underneath.   if you are gonna complete that ball it needs to be a little high or that guy has a shot at an INT.   those types of INT are not usually the fault of the QB.  Id argue this falls under football 101.  you dont need rotoworld to figure it out (or at least you shouldnt)

all I'm saying is if this is the mistake you are gonna use to hang jones I dont know how many QB's will meet up with your standard.

The Browns have 2 great RB's and 2 really, really good RB's!   They could probably trade Hunt and still be fine at RB!   

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if DJ is terrible I can see it happening.

There was an interesting graphic during the Giants game comparing Daniel Jones' career so far to Josh Allen's first 38 games.

Jones had a higher completion percentage (63 to 60), they were about the same in yardage and INTs, but I think Allen might have had like 4 more TDs.

20 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

There was an interesting graphic during the Giants game comparing Daniel Jones' career so far to Josh Allen's first 38 games.

Jones had a higher completion percentage (63 to 60), they were about the same in yardage and INTs, but I think Allen might have had like 4 more TDs.

for the record, I was not suggesting DJ is gonna lose his job. 

All I said is for it to happen he has to be playing terribly.  my definition of terrible would be more INT than TD and poor completion percentage and losing more games than you win.    Though the last one really depends on other factors other than QB play but the QB often takes the heat for losses that are not their fault.

30 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

The Browns have 2 great RB's and 2 really, really good RB's!   They could probably trade Hunt and still be fine at RB!   

Hunt has asked for a trade.   doesnt look like hes getting one.

but if they are not gonna use him they probably should trade him away to get something to help the team elsewhere.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:57 PM, AxeElf said:

Mahomes plays 17 game minutes, goes 12/19 for 162 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs.

Looks like we know where the AFC Championship game will be hosted again (for the 5th year in a row); the only question is who the visiting team will be.

Don't you know.... No Tyreek = Mahomes turns into a pumpkin 

1 hour ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Don't you know.... No Tyreek = Mahomes turns into a pumpkin 

well, I dont have Mahomes.  my largest rival in my competitive league has him.  so I hope you are right.

I just dont think its the truth.

he will not be quite as good as last year, but he will still be good.

Got around to the 49ers game.  I would be surprised if Sermon continues to play ahead of Davis-Price.  Sermon looks like he doesn't trust his own cutting ability.  I don't know if he's banged up or not, but if you watch him play, he has this little shuffle of his feet everytime he cuts as opposed to just planting his foot and changing direction.  

Davis-Price has his own issues... Pass pro and mishandling a handoff for a fumble that was credited to Purdy on the goal line to name two, but he's a much more decisive runner.  

• Like 1

On the other side, the Vikings have some good runningbacks.  Ty Chandler is a beast.  The guy just runs through defenders.  Granted these guys won't be playing on Sunday, but that's what good backs should be doing to less than defenders.  It seemed like every run he was driving ng through a 49er defender.  

And he's their 4th string back!  I know people were speculating the Vikings may cut Mattison, but my guess is they cut their fullback CJ Ham since the new coaching staff is from the McVay pedigree and they don't use FBs.  I don't think any of Mattison, Nwangwu, or Chandler make it past waivers to get on the practice squad.  Not to mention Nwangwu is their special teams ace.

36 minutes ago, nobody said:

I know people were speculating the Vikings may cut Mattison, but my guess is they cut their fullback CJ Ham since the new coaching staff is from the McVay pedigree and they don't use FBs. 

guys like Mattison dont get cut.   when hes been able to play he has been productive.  he is on a good rookie contract at less than 1M per year.

hes a guy the vikings should actually be able to trade.   

normally productive players on rookie contracts dont go anywhere but if they have exceptional depth maybe thats what happens.   there are plenty of teams thin at the RB position so I have no doubt if they wanted to dump him some teams would want him.

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Hunt has asked for a trade.   doesnt look like hes getting one.

but if they are not gonna use him they probably should trade him away to get something to help the team elsewhere.

Agreed, if he wants out, trade him, seems like they can still get a high return for him at this time.  

They still have D Johnson.  

Either Mariota will be a top 5 QB this season, or the Jets and Lions have the worst defenses ever.

4 hours ago, nobody said:

Got around to the 49ers game.  I would be surprised if Sermon continues to play ahead of Davis-Price.  Sermon looks like he doesn't trust his own cutting ability.  I don't know if he's banged up or not, but if you watch him play, he has this little shuffle of his feet everytime he cuts as opposed to just planting his foot and changing direction.  

Davis-Price has his own issues... Pass pro and mishandling a handoff for a fumble that was credited to Purdy on the goal line to name two, but he's a much more decisive runner.  

Mitchell Wilson Hasty and maybe UDFA Jordan passes up Sermon.

Price will be #2, and #1 often since Mitchel can seem to get healthy right now.  

Anyone think Collin Johnson could be the Giants receiver to own?

31 minutes ago, Kopy said:

It’s possible but unlikely. He should make the team but will be buried on the depth chart to start the season. Injuries are the most likely path to playing time, and hard to predict. Sterling Shepherd is going to be activated soon, and it would take injuries to him K. Toney, and maybe even Golladay for Johnson to get regular playing time. 

10 hours ago, nobody said:

Jeff Wilson will be #2.  Davis-Price #3.

Wilson is obviously the trusted option having been in Shanny's system for several years now.  Mitchell's injury history sample size isn't big but Wilson has had his own injury issues.  TDP will very well likely be the #2 RB at some point this season.  Will he progress enough in pass pro for Shanny to lean on him a la Mitchell last year if injuries put him atop the depth chart??  

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

It’s possible but unlikely. He should make the team but will be buried on the depth chart to start the season. Injuries are the most likely path to playing time, and hard to predict. Sterling Shepherd is going to be activated soon, and it would take injuries to him K. Toney, and maybe even Golladay for Johnson to get regular playing time. 

Toney is my bet on who to own.

Golladay may not need an injury.  if he has a season like last year, he will be in the bench by week 5.   so its not entirely out of the question

but I basically agree with what Jrokh said here.

I watched the Philly game (Finally) and I'll say they sure seemed to be able to run the ball.   The line looked good.

4 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I watched the Philly game (Finally) and I'll say they sure seemed to be able to run the ball.   The line looked good.

A lot of people out there have them as a top 3 OLine.

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

If you can't be a top 2 WR on the Giants, you're not a receiver "to own".  Their WR corp is pretty weak.  I don't know of many who are worse in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know of many who are worse in the NFL.

I did a quick search to see how wr units were ranked. Unfortunately, the first 2 lists hit paywalls (PFF,ESPN). So, I had to settle for the first free one which was USA Today which ranked the Giants WR- 25th. So, in that context the answer to your question is 7.