Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

NCAA Football

I've been down on Michigan this year for scheduling candycane opponents, leading to boring games, and for resorting to spying on these candycanes (I did stand by them for the bullsh*t  hamburger scandal). No matter, what's done is done. It's always good to put a beatdown on Ohio State.

Next is Iowa, another good team, and the College playoffs.

I don't care about Florida St. or Georgia getting beat at the moment, I'm tuned into this ku/ cincy game.

Devin Neal is having a hell of a career.   I'll be interested to follow his professional career, as I assume he'll get a shot with a NFL team.   I believe he has another year of eligibility but I see a possibility of him coming back with NIL money and a revamped stadium. If so, ku would be in the running for the big 12 preseason favorite with Daniels suggesting he is coming back on social media.

Eta: Neal just passed Gayle Sayers for 5th all time in Kansas history.   I'd have to go back and look, but the may be the only three that high doing it in only 3 years. 

Michigan has a backup quarterback named Alex Orji. Yes, it's pronounced the way it looks.

56 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Devin Neal is having a hell of a career.   I'll be interested to follow his professional career, as I assume he'll get a shot with a NFL team.   I believe he has another year of eligibility but I see a possibility of him coming back with NIL money and a revamped stadium. If so, ku would be in the running for the big 12 preseason favorite with Daniels suggesting he is coming back on social media.

Eta: Neal just passed Gayle Sayers for 5th all time in Kansas history.   I'd have to go back and look, but the may be the only three that high doing it in only 3 years. 

Looks accurate to me:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/kansas/rushing.html

Michigan State's picked up Oregon State head coach Johnathan Smith as head coach. I have a lot of respect for the Pac-12, they served as the worthwhile villains and tough opposition in the Rose Bowl years. My heart goes out to Oregon State, a big blow to their staff and conference. Any year previous to 2023, this would be a lateral move that makes no sense, but sadly, the conference is a dumpster fire mess and the programs and people involved are all reaching for life jackets. 

MSU is lucky to have somebody this good available. Smith did a fine job for the school, taking a bad team and getting them some success, ranked as high as 10 this year. He'll have to learn to scout Michigan and the Midwest. Obviously I wish him great success, MSU had a terrible year considering the way the Mel Tucker fiasco went down. If the team is going to have success moving forward, they're going to need a quality coach to move mountains and do so ASAP. In the Big Ten, MSU football is historically on the tier just below UM and Ohio State, and the danger of joining Indiana and Purdue and Rutgers as permanent also-rans is quite real and quite serious.

Good Luck Johnathan Smith.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

Michigan State's picked up Oregon State head coach Johnathan Smith as head coach. I have a lot of respect for the Pac-12, they served as the worthwhile villains and tough opposition in the Rose Bowl years. My heart goes out to Oregon State, a big blow to their staff and conference. Any year previous to 2023, this would be a lateral move that makes no sense, but sadly, the conference is a dumpster fire mess and the programs and people involved are all reaching for life jackets. 

MSU is lucky to have somebody this good available. Smith did a fine job for the school, taking a bad team and getting them some success, ranked as high as 10 this year. He'll have to learn to scout Michigan and the Midwest. Obviously I wish him great success, MSU had a terrible year considering the way the Mel Tucker fiasco went down. If the team is going to have success moving forward, they're going to need a quality coach to move mountains and do so ASAP. In the Big Ten, MSU football is historically on the tier just below UM and Ohio State, and the danger of joining Indiana and Purdue and Rutgers as permanent also-rans is quite real and quite serious.

Well ain't that the damnedest thing. I was the one who typed and posted this but somehow, someway it got accredited to cmh. I don't have access to his account. I've never seen this happen before.

Do you guys see this as accredited to cmh?

37 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Well ain't that the damnedest thing. I was the one who typed and posted this but somehow, someway it got accredited to cmh. I don't have access to his account. I've never seen this happen before.

Do you guys see this as accredited to cmh?

:lol:

I cut and pasted from the NFL week thread ;)

2 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

:lol:

I cut and pasted from the NFL week thread ;)

:doh:Doh!

Well, I guess thanks are in order then.

Thanks.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, cmh6476 said:

Gonna need to give him some time.   3 year rebuild at least.  The program is in absolute shambles.

Thanks Mel!

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

texas in the CFP?

With Georgia and Washington already in, it will have to be a Texas miracle IMO…

If Alabama beats Georgia, Alabama will be the third team and that just leaves the last spot for Michigan or Florida State…. If both lose, then Texas would probably get in…

Looks like Alabam is making a strong case to be included, still much of the 4th quarter left, but my goodness...

Georgia has some fire in the tank yet, tehy're going to insist this game is awesome.

Not getting the stop on that drive will likely be the end of Georgia.

The Dawgs refuse to be euthanized.

Georgia D could not get a stop with the game on the line. Knocks them out unless Louisville and/or Iowa let them back in. 

39 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Georgia D could not get a stop with the game on the line. Knocks them out unless Louisville and/or Iowa let them back in. 

Georgia is in…. The committee will want Georgia to defend their titles plus they lost only by three and since the committee loves the SEC, Alabama is in…  Washington is the third team…. Michigan will be in with a win…. I think Florida State needs to win and have Michigan lose….

I could be wrong but this is what I am thinking…  If Michigan and Florida State both lose, Texas will get in…

just don't see how you let two teams from one conference in when you only get four total.

37 minutes ago, posty said:

Georgia is in…. The committee will want Georgia to defend their titles plus they lost only by three and since the committee loves the SEC, Alabama is in…  Washington is the third team…. Michigan will be in with a win…. I think Florida State needs to win and have Michigan lose….

I could be wrong but this is what I am thinking…  If Michigan and Florida State both lose, Texas will get in…

I think Alabama skips them. They'd have to. 

Anyone who's read this thread knows how critical I was of my own team for scheduling candy ass Eastern Carolina, UNLV, and Ball State as their out of conference opponents and how much praise I doled out to Alabama and Texas merely for scheduling each other. Alabama did the country a service for putting the Longhorns on the schedule and If they get punished by getting locked out of the playoff for doing so, college football in September will go totally to sh*t.

As for Florida State, leaving out an undefeated team is cold. Unlike cowardly Michigan, they had a real team in #5 at the time LSU on their non-conference schedule.

Looks like Michigan is unlikely to face a letdown.

25 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

just don't see how you let two teams from one conference in when you only get four total.

Been done before…

If Michigan wins, I think it will be…

1) Michigan 
2) Washington
3) Alabama
4) Georgia

I hope I am wrong, but that is my guess…

6 minutes ago, posty said:

If Michigan wins, I think it will be…

1) Michigan 
2) Washington
3) Alabama
4) Georgia

I hope I am wrong, but that is my guess…

Pundits thought Texas over Georgia.  FSU is out even if they win, they lost their QB

Gonna be some decision making between "who's best" and "who deserves it most." The criteria is supposed to be "best" though.

I thought the way texas treated the big 12 commissioner was crap.  Their fans have never been the epitome of class, though.

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Pundits thought Texas over Georgia.  FSU is out even if they win, they lost their QB

That might be Texas only chance over Georgia, but with the SEC love and Georgia had won 29 or so in a row and the last two champions, I think the committee will want someone to win the title over Georgia…

Does anybody know how soon after the games conclude that these decisions are made?

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

Does anybody know how soon after the games conclude that these decisions are made?

I think the announcement is tomorrow for all bowl games

• Thanks 1

I imagine this is what Michigan - Iowa games circa 1952 looked like.

8 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Noon ET tomorrow…. As cmh said, the rest of the bowls are also announced…

• Thanks 1

Iowa's D is playing well, not their fault that both Michigan TDs came from drives that started around the 5 yard line.

When Louisville tied the game, I thought they may eventually mercy-kill FSU on behalf of Texas or Georgia, but then FSu scored a TD soon thereafter. 

I'm not watching that game but it looks about as exciting as the other one.

1 hour ago, thegeneral said:

I’m going with: 

Michigan

UW

Texas

Bama

If they decide to screw FSU, this is the best way to do it IMO.

I'm going to guess...

1) Michigan

2) Washington

3) Alabama

4) Florida State

The only sure thing is #1 Michigan and #2 Washington.  There are good cases to be made for Texas, FSU, Alabama and Georgia.  That leaves 6 possible combinations of teams that make it, and 12 possible seeding arrangements/matchups.... what a mess.  

Mich vs. Texas, Wash vs. FSU

Mich vs. FSU, Wash vs. Texas

Mich vs. Texas, Wash vs Bama

Mich vs. Bama, Wash vs. Texas

Mich vs. GA, Wash vs. Texas

Mich vs. Texas, Wash vs. GA

Mich vs FSU, Wash vs Bama

Mich vs. Bama, Wash vs. FSU

Mich vs. FSU, Wash vs. GA

Mich vs. GA, Wash vs. FSU

Mich vs. Bama, Wash vs. GA

MICH vs. GA, Wash vs. Bama

Eventhough the SEC has dominated college football for nearly two decades, I really don't think they were all that great this year.   I would hate if Georgia and Alabama would make it.   But there is going to be people who feel Georgia is still a top 4 team because of recent history.  It is going to be a nasty fight inside those walls today.  IMHO, Texas should be a lock for #3.   

This means Wash vs. Texas should be a lock.    

Alabama has to be given priority over Georgia.  Leaving Michigan to play either FSU or Alabama.  I think they have to give the nod to Bama,  because they can't ignore how the SEC has dominated (and the ratings).

So Mich vs. Bama will be the other match-up.  

Not my favorite choice, but the most logical scenario.  They could rationalize flipping Texas and Bama, but the head to head is hard to dismiss even being week 2.  But FSU will rightfully feel totally screwed.  

🍿

New AP Top 25 Poll.  We’ll find out soon what the rankings that matter most say.  

1. Michigan (51)
2. Washington (11)
3. Texas
4. Florida State
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State
8. Oregon
9. Missouri
10. Penn State