Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Massachusetts Tax Refund checks (excess tax rebate) going out Tuesday. Thank you Gubnah Bakah

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/mass-tax-refund-checks-going-out-tuesday-how-much-will-you-get/2878460/

The first checks and direct deposits from $3 billion in excess tax revenue will head back to Massachusetts taxpayers starting Tuesday when the calendar officially changes to November.

A spokesperson for the state Executive Office of Administration and Finance said Friday that the money will head out the door under the voter-approved tax cap law known as Chapter 62F, which taxpayers triggered for the first time since 1987 by delivering massive amounts of taxes. About 3 million taxpayers will receive a refund in the form of a mailed check or a direct deposit worth about 14% of what they owed in state personal income tax in 2021, the spokesperson said.

Here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about the program:

What is Chapter 62F?
Chapter 62F is a Massachusetts General Law that requires the state Department of Revenue to issue a credit to taxpayers if total tax revenues in a given fiscal year exceed an annual cap tied to wage and salary growth in the Commonwealth.

How much will my tax refund be?
The money will be returned to eligible taxpayers by the state Department of Revenue in proportion to their personal income tax liability in Massachusetts incurred in the immediately preceding taxable year -- Tax Year 2021.

The administration said Friday that eligible taxpayers will receive a credit in the form of a refund that is approximately 14% of their Massachusetts Tax Year 2021 personal income tax liability.

The Baker administration set up a website, www.mass.gov/62frefunds, where you can get a preliminary estimate of your refund. A call center is also now available at 877-677-9727 to answer questions about the Chapter 62F taxpayer refunds. It is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Credits are subject to offsets, state officials said, including for unpaid tax liability, unpaid child support and certain other debts.

Who is eligible for a tax rebate?
To be eligible for a refund, the administration said individuals must have filed a 2021 state tax return on or before Oct. 17, 2022. An individual's credit may be reduced due to refund intercepts, including for unpaid taxes, unpaid child support and certain other debts.

Please note that:

Both resident and non-resident filers are eligible
Non-residents on whose behalf a partnership files on a composite basis are eligible
Fiduciary filers (trusts and estates) are eligible

:banana: 

Massachusetts > your state

5 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Massachusetts gets a free loan (by force) from its own people and boasts about it!!!!!!

Yep. Massachusettes keeps all the the investment income from those dollars. Then the people just get their money back 10 months later.

7 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

I think all of the states that don’t take your money in the first place are better than your state.

The personal finance website has come up with a ranked list of the top 20 best states to live in for 2022. Here are the results! The top state is Massachusetts, which ranked first in the nation for education and health, fourth for safety, sixth for quality of life, and 10th for its economy.

https://www.timeout.com/usa/news/these-are-officially-the-best-states-to-live-in-for-2022-082222#:~:text=The personal finance website has,and 10th for its economy.

Taxachusetts > your state  

14 hours ago, edjr said:

The personal finance website has come up with a ranked list of the top 20 best states to live in for 2022. Here are the results! The top state is Massachusetts, which ranked first in the nation for education and health, fourth for safety, sixth for quality of life, and 10th for its economy.

https://www.timeout.com/usa/news/these-are-officially-the-best-states-to-live-in-for-2022-082222#:~:text=The personal finance website has,and 10th for its economy.

New Jersey second, list was written by a yank 

4 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

Baker had nothing to do with it....the surplus triggered the existing law. This happened while he was knobbing Healey's schlong.

I am 50, never heard of it. You think this is the 1st time in the last 30 years we have had a surplus? 

5 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

New Jersey second, list was written by a yank 

Yup.  NJ focking sucks unless you make $100k.

32 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am 50, never heard of it. You think this is the 1st time in the last 30 years we have had a surplus? 

I believe this is the first time its happened. I'm not sure its just a surplus....it might have to exceed a certain threshold....which is the first time.

I got my payment today  $776. Thank you Charlie Bakah! :banana: 

Makes sense.

In the fiscal year of 2021, Massachusetts's state debt stood at about 76.52 billion U.S. dollars. Local government debt in the state was significantly lower in the same fiscal year, at about 18.78 billion U.S. dollars.

On 11/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, Thornton Melon said:

Ed paid about $5500 to get his $776 back.

But wait. Had I already paid it? is 776 not a bonus? Should I move and make less to save the $5500? :wacko:   

1 hour ago, edjr said:

But wait. Had I already paid it? is 776 not a bonus? Should I move and make less to save the $5500? :wacko:   

Yeah, move to NH, get a job there with a 15% pay cut, and pay higher property taxes. But at least you won't have to pay income tax.