Sign in to follow this  
jtztdm

Do you use TE or just use a flex position instead?

We are debating getting rid of the TE spot all together and just using them as a flex option instead. Would like to know if any of you and your leagues do this? The TE just seems to be a wasted spot imo.

No,  we have all the normal spots, QB, RB, WR, TE, D/ST, one flex spot and even the hated Kicker position...

I don't really get the point of eliminating positions or turning everything into a flex spot. That's kind of the purpose, it's difficult to pick a good team at every position.

Just having it be all about RBs and WRs is boring and not so challenging

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If you were to get rid of the TE spot, where does it end? Why not the K? And then the DST? 

We have a TE in every one of my leagues. The smarter ones even allow a TE at a Flex spot, but very few owners would use one there. But they could.

3 hours ago, jtztdm said:

We are debating getting rid of the TE spot all together and just using them as a flex option instead. Would like to know if any of you and your leagues do this? The TE just seems to be a wasted spot imo.

I’m on board with that.  I’m going to bring it up in February at our owners meeting in the league I’ve been in sine the late 80es.  

So far talking to most of the other owners it sounds like it might be voted in.   

I love the ideal.  

• Like 1

For 10 and 12 team leagues, it makes sense to keep the TE position.  For larger leagues and leagues with deeper benches, there probably aren't enough viable TEs to go around, especially covering for bye weeks and injuries, so it makes sense to just add a flex position where a TE could be used.  Furthermore, the TE designation isn't really used consistently among NFL teams (e.g. the functions of Travis Kelce, Taysom Hill, and Austin Hooper are very different, yet they are all designated as TE). 

1 minute ago, BobSanders_33 said:

I support getting rid of kickers but not the TE spot.

Agreed

we dropped kickers 5 years ago in our 25 year old league, much better on how random they are  from draft time to end of year 

only a couple old school guys voted to keep them 

I want to keep kickers and Def, to much fun streaming them, the TE only slot needs to be replaced with a Wr/Te flex.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, Sean Mooney said:

Keep the tight end spot. Having the tight end spot keeps some form of strategy in the drafting process. 

Agreed.  You either decide to take one of the "stud" TEs earlier knowing that you're sacrificing other solid picks, or wait and hope to the Baby Jesus that you find someone that's serviceable.

God help you if you decide to go TE early and the bastard busts or gets hurt. 

One of my leagues got rid of TE and I prefer it. There's no more or less strategy, just a different strategy.

What did you replace the TE slot with? I’m guessing a TE/Wr flex?  That’s what I’m going propose at our owners meeting in February. 

On 12/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, weepaws said:

What did you replace the TE slot with? I’m guessing a TE/Wr flex?  That’s what I’m going propose at our owners meeting in February. 

Essentially yeah, we do 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 Flex (10 team league)

Current league I am in has 1 mandatory TE spot required in starting lineups, but then also provide a TE/WR flex, so you could play 2 TEs in your starting lineup if so desired (or 3 WRs) any given week.  Personally, since TE supply/demand is so low, I like flex options where you can go with an extra WR if you so choose.  Forcing minimum 1 TE in a starting lineup can be really tough  point production spot for larger leagues.    Back in the  late1990's (yes I'm dating myself) a redraft league I played in, we expanded from 6 teams to 10 and then we adjusted scoring and gave 2x yardage points to TEs vs. WRs/RBs, to balance things out a little bit and provide a larger supply of point producing TEs.   That seemed to help as well.