Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Is tipping getting out of control? Many consumers and Mr. Pink say yes

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

okay makes more sense.  the "rural shiit" part made me think you were saying this was a rural issue.

I was saying it like rural shlt we don't do this.  I probably have a different perspective than a good chunk here.  Vice versa obviously as well.

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Also not leaving a tip shouldn't make you feel any which way if you meant it.  

I am more than willing to tip generously for traditional things.  A delivery comes up to my place?  They probably get the most %.  Restaurant?  20% or so depending.   Just do a solid job.  

It shouldn't but that's what these places are banking on. When you walk into a Jersey Mike's, order your food and go to pay... their flipping the screen around for you to sign and choose a tip amount is meant to make you feel guilty by choosing the "other - no tip" option. I started a topic on this last year (which craftsman used his spare time to find and quote above). People should not get tipped for doing their normal job / if their normal pay is no tip based. 

Delivery driver? of course. Wait staff? of course because much of the time, their base pay is super low and they rely on tips.... person who answered the phone to take my order? nope. Swiped my credit card? nope. Cooked/prepared the food? nope

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

It shouldn't but that's what these places are banking on. When you walk into a Jersey Mike's, order your food and go to pay... their flipping the screen around for you to sign and choose a tip amount is meant to make you feel guilty by choosing the "other - no tip" option. I started a topic on this last year (which craftsman used his spare time to find and quote above). People should not get tipped for doing their normal job / if their normal pay is no tip based. 

Delivery driver? of course. Wait staff? of course because much of the time, their base pay is super low and they rely on tips.... person who answered the phone to take my order? nope. Swiped my credit card? nope. Cooked/prepared the food? nope

And thats what I am saying.  They are guilting you into it.   Its natural to feel bad.   But with a lot of things today, you can't let people guilt you into acting a certain way.

By all means the gc that wants to tip anything go for it.   Can't go wrong with generosity even if it isn't warrantED.

If 90% of people choose no tip.  They are still making more than they would have.  It is genius.

Only tip for those jobs that end in ER. Waiter, Barber, Hooker….

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Rural shlt.  We dont do this stuff here.  I seen it at one place, subway.  No one here has to pay 1400 dollars for a 1 bedroom apartment.   Less begging.  

I went to a subway in the city about a month ago. They charged me for the bag they put my sandwich in and wen I asked for extra napkins they said it was an additional cost. THEN they asked for a tip. L O F L

11 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Only tip for those jobs that end in ER. Waiter, Barber, Hooker….

I had 1-800-Junk come out to remove a bunch of sh1t for me. Cost $600, total focking rip off. Still gave both guys a $10 each. 

Got my hair cut the on MLK day. It was snowing as well. I found a barber shop that was open. 2 ladies in there, standing around doing nothing.  I tipped the girl who cut my hair $20 and I gave the other girl $10, just cause I felt bad she was standing around not doing anything. 

22 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Stripper, dealer, lawyer ...

Standup philosopher. 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:39 AM, edjr said:

https://apnews.com/article/tipping-fatigue-business-c4ae9d440610dae5e8ff4d4df0f88c35

I don't bartend currently, but I have the past however long. My chick still does and waitresses. She works from 1 to midnight on Sunday (a double) and often brings home $700 plus. 

When we go out, we tip 25% and if we know the person 30% or more.

20% and it goes up or down based on service.  

Breakfast places I tend to tip towards 50% as the bill is geneally low and those waitresses bust their asses.  Dinner, 25 - 30% unless the service is unusually good in which case it can and does go higher.  If dinner service is bad the tip goues down, even, on rare occassions, to completely stiffing them.  Rarely go out for drinks anymore but cocktail waitresses do all right off of me, 25-30% to maybe more if I am sloshed and they are hot and flirtatious.  My local watering hole/sports bar where they know me I treat the waitresses well, generally 50%, they in turn treat me well.  I don't tip at counters.  If I am walking up with items I have selected, or if they are grabbing something from behind the counter or prepared in under a minute in a kitchen, I am not tipping, I am not donating to hungry kids with diseases and deformed palates who while orphans still remember the domestic abuse their mother's took from a guy who tied up the dog outside to starve and freeze. If I want to give to charity, and I do give to charity, I pick the charity and the contribution level.  I don't ask these stores to contribute to my charitable interests, i don't know why they think they can ask it of me.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:55 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Does McDonalds or Burger king do the same thing now?  Have not been to one in a long time

Just went for Chinese. Bill was 60, tipped 20 cash. Guy was really good and nice. Filled my water 3 times!

10 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Does McDonalds or Burger king do the same thing now?  Have not been to one in a long time

good alias.

not sure. I will go to McDonalds maybe once a month. Drive through to pick up my app order so no experience with giving them payment there.

2 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

Got take out pizza tonight, gave $10 on $67.  Dude thanked me and threw me extra bread.

extra bread for tipping less than 15% on your pizza delivery? 

good dude.

10 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

Got take out pizza tonight, gave $10 on $67.  Dude thanked me and threw me extra bread.

BFD. That’s not even 20 pct. 

32 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

extra bread for tipping less than 15% on your pizza delivery? 

good dude.

Take out, not delivery.  Also it was 15%, Mr math.

19 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

I take it back. 10 is great on pick up.  

48 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

Also it was not

15% of $67 =/= $10

I’m only being so literal because of your snarky Mr Math comment while being incorrect, so don’t cry about it. 

and yes, I thought you were talking about delivery not pickup. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Also it was not

15% of $67 =/= $10

I’m only being so literal because of your snarky Mr Math comment while being incorrect, so don’t cry about it. 

and yes, I thought you were talking about deliver. 

Of course dude can't admit he focked up the math, also can't admit he can't read either.  Immediately jumps to the insult.

25 minutes ago, Louie Kelcher said:

Of course dude can't admit he focked up the math, also can't admit he can't read either.  Immediately jumps to the insult.

How did I fock up the math if $10 is less than 15% of a $67 bill? 😂 

what did I misread?

and what was the insult?