Big Guy

YouTube rolls out Sunday Ticket, for full-season price as low as $249

Trying to remember how much I paid for Sunday Ticket streaming option last year.  Seems in the same ballpark. 

Of course Direct TV required that you can't install a dish to get streaming only, so I had my son sign up since he lives in an apartment. 

• Like 1

Pass...  I maybe watch a total of one quarter a year, max...  Even if I watched a lot, still wouldn't pay a dime to watch games...

• Like 1

I’ve had the ticket for 12 years now. I’m not switching to YouTube tv and then paying for streaming. Even Amazon had buffering issues with one game. Oh well. May switch to cable and get red zone but that’s it. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ve had the ticket for 12 years now. I’m not switching to YouTube tv and then paying for streaming. Even Amazon had buffering issues with one game. Oh well. May switch to cable and get red zone but that’s it. 

This.

We’ve had Sunday Ticket either for free or other services discounted to = free, for forever through Directv. We’ve tried YouTube tv in the past and their dvr service sucks donkey balls. Since we are Steelers fans we’re bummed that we won’t have a good option this year.

• Thanks 1

I had the ticket since it almost started.  But got fed up with direct tv a few years ago and went to youtubetv.  I don't watch much TV as it is.  But now I just stream games that I want to see for free.  Fock em.  

44 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I had the ticket since it almost started.  But got fed up with direct tv a few years ago and went to youtubetv.  I don't watch much TV as it is.  But now I just stream games that I want to see for free.  Fock em.  

Yep.  F Directv.  They've been selling people an antiquated product for years and years.  Cable companies are the same way.  Everything can be streamed now and it's been that way for a long time.

You can get streams for free if you know where to look.  Another option is to stream from NFL.com directly.  All you need is a VPN and point your IP address outside of North America. I haven't done it for several years, but, it was $125 or something.  Half of what they want to charge your through YouTube or Directv and it's the full Gamepass package, no blackout or restrictions.

51 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

This.

We’ve had Sunday Ticket either for free or other services discounted to = free, for forever through Directv. We’ve tried YouTube tv in the past and their dvr service sucks donkey balls. Since we are Steelers fans we’re bummed that we won’t have a good option this year.

They just make you think you're getting it for free.  What's your monthly Directv bill?  They get it back on equipment rentals, fees, taxes.  

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Trying to remember how much I paid for Sunday Ticket streaming option last year.  Seems in the same ballpark. 

Of course Direct TV required that you can't install a dish to get streaming only, so I had my son sign up since he lives in an apartment. 

I can't believe they are still doing this.  It enrages me to no end.  Mostly taking advantage of old people.

9 minutes ago, Horseman said:

They just make you think you're getting it for free.  What's your monthly Directv bill?  They get it back on equipment rentals, fees, taxes.  

I do the annual “I’m going to cancel" dance with them and usually score a pretty good deal. They’ve been pretty desperate to keep customers the last couple of years-I think I got $100 off a month for 12 months and HBO free for 6 months this last time. 

Opps I forgot I did have the Ticket for free for about 2 years after 05. I got DTV out but my parents had it in and was paying $3 a month for a extra box they hardly used. Hook the box to my dish and bingo had all the channels they got, That said it wasn't as good as the years before and when the black out games started.

11 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

I do the annual “I’m going to cancel" dance with them and usually score a pretty good deal. They’ve been pretty desperate to keep customers the last couple of years-I think I got $100 off a month for 12 months and HBO free for 6 months this last time. 

You never did say what your monthly bill was.

That's what irritates me the most.  It's antiquated technology and I know a bunch of older people have no clue and don't call every year to do the dance.  What kind of business model is that?  When they had the Ticket it was a full on monopoly.  Cable companies are the same way.  It's all internet now days folks, there is zero need for a satellite or a cable tv box.

Just now, Horseman said:

You never did say what your monthly bill was.

That's what irritates me the most.  It's antiquated technology and I know a bunch of older people have no clue and don't call every year to do the dance.  What kind of business model is that?  When they had the Ticket it was a full on monopoly.  Cable companies are the same way.  It's all internet now days folks, there is zero need for a satellite or a cable tv box.

Our bill is usually around $150 with internet included. Last year though, after we finished paying for Sunday Ticket it dropped to $100.

I beg to differ. Until some code monkey can write an app for a dvr service that works across all streaming sites, I’m not switching. I refuse to watch commercials and the prices are ridiculous for the services that have the option to get rid of them.  Not to mention the headache of having to remember where and when all the shows you want to watch are. It’s bad enough with the few streaming services that we do subscribe to. And no, I’m not pirating sh1t either.

GB living in a local market

NFL Teams ought to have their own channels

When games aren't being played it would be 24 Dallas Cowboys shows

I'd pay for that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

NFL Teams ought to have their own channels

When games aren't being played it would be 24 Dallas Cowboys shows

I'd pay for that

Yeah but their Super Bowls aren’t in HD and the footage is kinda grainy now. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Our bill is usually around $150 with internet included. Last year though, after we finished paying for Sunday Ticket it dropped to $100.

I beg to differ. Until some code monkey can write an app for a dvr service that works across all streaming sites, I’m not switching. I refuse to watch commercials and the prices are ridiculous for the services that have the option to get rid of them.  Not to mention the headache of having to remember where and when all the shows you want to watch are. It’s bad enough with the few streaming services that we do subscribe to. And no, I’m not pirating sh1t either.

All of the streaming sites that include live tv (not Netflix and Prime which are on demand) have their own DVR included in their price.  Not an extra $15 a month like the Genie.  And there are apps that keep track of remembering what shows to watch like Trakt for free.  I just use a notebook.

4 minutes ago, Horseman said:

All of the streaming sites that include live tv (not Netflix and Prime which are on demand) have their own DVR included in their price.  Not an extra $15 a month like the Genie.  And there are apps that keep track of remembering what shows to watch like Trakt for free.  I just use a notebook.

What do you use for internet service?

2 minutes ago, Horseman said:

We don’t pay extra for dvr service. We used to, but now we’re on some all included legacy package. :dunno:

We tested Fubo and YouTube and both of their dvr’s were horrible. YouTube would be alright if they got rid of needing to remember to not select the on-demand option and added a first run designation so it doesn’t keep recording the same episode if they run reruns throughout the week. 

You track your tv shows? 🤣

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

What do you use for internet service?

The only option I currently have in my area is Comcast-Xfinity.  I hate it because they are a monopoly pig cable company too and would switch in a heartbeat if Google fiber or something else showed up.

Are you asking because of stream quality?  It's my experience that stream quality problems are mostly on the consumer's side.  You need router that can handle it, especially Wifi.  I do keep tabs on Comcast though, I recently caught them not providing the speed I' was paying for (shocker) and now I have double that speed for the same price.  

2 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

We don’t pay extra for dvr service. We used to, but now we’re on some all included legacy package. :dunno:

We tested Fubo and YouTube and both of their dvr’s were horrible. YouTube would be alright if they got rid of needing to remember to not select the on-demand option and added a first run designation so it doesn’t keep recording the same episode if they run reruns throughout the week. 

You track your tv shows? 🤣

I'm sure that came with a contract too.

I'm old, of course I write down what shows are coming out so I remember to watch.  You were just complaining about having to remember.  And how would you know what shows were coming out if you don't watch commercials, which I don't?

5 minutes ago, Horseman said:

I'm sure that came with a contract too.

I'm old, of course I write down what shows are coming out so I remember to watch.  You were just complaining about having to remember.  And how would you know what shows were coming out if you don't watch commercials, which I don't?

Nope! No contract. Haven’t had one of those in ages. Every once in awhile they try to add a one year contract to the winback deal and I always decline. 

I read stuff. Plus, most networks put promos for upcoming shows at the beginning of episodes now.

10 minutes ago, Horseman said:

The only option I currently have in my area is Comcast-Xfinity.  I hate it because they are a monopoly pig cable company too and would switch in a heartbeat if Google fiber or something else showed up.

Are you asking because of stream quality?  It's my experience that stream quality problems are mostly on the consumer's side.  You need router that can handle it, especially Wifi.  I do keep tabs on Comcast though, I recently caught them not providing the speed I' was paying for (shocker) and now I have double that speed for the same price.  

Thanks.  I asked because we currently use the monopoly pig cable company here (Cox) for internet as well as cable; we're looking at ditching the cable since Bally's Sports seems to be losing money and didn't pay the DBacks so that's another thing we won't get from cable.  But for high speed it seems, like you said, that without something like Google fiber there aren't many options.

For football all we need is Red Zone and Cards games.  I imagine the TNF/SNF/MNF can all be had through other options.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  I asked because we currently use the monopoly pig cable company here (Cox) for internet as well as cable; we're looking at ditching the cable since Bally's Sports seems to be losing money and didn't pay the DBacks so that's another thing we won't get from cable.  But for high speed it seems, like you said, that without something like Google fiber there aren't many options.

For football all we need is Red Zone and Cards games.  I imagine the TNF/SNF/MNF can all be had through other options.

Yeah it sucks.  Amazon/Google/Elon need to step up.  

6 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah but their Super Bowls aren’t in HD and the footage is kinda grainy now. 

funny

I don't mind, they've got a rich history in such a short span comparatively 

6 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

He's a Dallas fan why would he care about the Super Bowls ?

really?

Won 5 of 8 son

• Thanks 1

For those interested in YTTV, this is my sports related lineup (with sports package and 4k):

nfl network

redzone

fs1 and 2

espn, espn2, espn news, espnu, espn4k

nba tv, nba tv 4k

SEC network

ACC network

3 channels for fox sports 4k

nbc bay area plus

nbc california

2 nbc california plus

3 nbc sports (2 in 4k)

i do have tnt

BIG network (4 channels)

Fox soccer plus

golf channel

4 stadium tv channels

2 fan duel channels

cnbc

motortrend

2 bein sports channels

sports grid

poker

fight

wrestling

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

For those interested in YTTV, this is my sports related lineup (with sports package and 4k):

nfl network

redzone

fs1 and 2

espn, espn2, espn news, espnu, espn4k

nba tv, nba tv 4k

SEC network

ACC network

3 channels for fox sports 4k

nbc bay area plus

nbc california

2 nbc california plus

3 nbc sports (2 in 4k)

i do have tnt

BIG network (4 channels)

Fox soccer plus

golf channel

4 stadium tv channels

2 fan duel channels

cnbc

motortrend

2 bein sports channels

sports grid

poker

fight

wrestling

What is your monthly bill?

5 minutes ago, shadrap said:

What is your monthly bill?

currently $75.  i believe it is going up to about $82 in a week.

I pay $5/mo ($60/yr) for ESPN+.  The only TV I pay for.  It gives me all the UFC and Golf that I can handle.

Free OTA local channels gives me about half of the regular season games (100% of playoffs) that I want to watch.  The others I just go grab a stream off the internet somewhere.  No way I'm paying $250 plus a monthly subscription for 6-8 games.

• Like 1

$20 lightning adapter. Every sporting event, tv show, and movie for free on any tv from any phone.

The catch? Might have to close some pop-ups. 

"But I don't want to look stuff up on my phone."  Fine, pay out the ass for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

$20 lightning adapter. Every sporting event, tv show, and movie for free on any tv from any phone.

The catch? Might have to close some pop-ups. 

"But I don't want to look stuff up on my phone."  Fine, pay out the ass for it.

What app are you using, what am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Horseman said:

What app are you using, what am I missing?

The only app I've ever used was DofuSports which gets most major sports, but I've never been too impressed with it. Pop-ups, and too many streams cut out mid game and whatnot.  It's more of a back-up for me at this point.

So I primarily just use websites. The same one's that work on computers also work on phones.  And of course there's unlimited sports streaming sites.

Over the years I've gone through a few sites for tv shows and movies... most have been shut down or just went away for whatever reason. But there's one that's still around, great quality and it has EVERYTHING ever made! Few pop-ups too (sometimes none). Not sure I'm allowed to post stuff like that... I'll message ya.

3 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

The only app I've ever used was DofuSports which gets most major sports, but I've never been too impressed with it. Pop-ups, and too many streams cut out mid game and whatnot.  It's more of a back-up for me at this point.

So I primarily just use websites. The same one's that work on computers also work on phones.  And of course there's unlimited sports streaming sites.

Over the years I've gone through a few sites for tv shows and movies... most have been shut down or just went away for whatever reason. But there's one that's still around, great quality and it has EVERYTHING ever made! Few pop-ups too (sometimes none). Not sure I'm allowed to post stuff like that... I'll message ya.

:thumbsup:  Thanks.

I have a HTPC in my main entertainment system.  But for the others if you don't want to keep connecting your phone a cheap firestick when on sale for $25 allows browsers.  Even Silk their native internet browser works just fine for getting to the websites.