Big Guy

NFL DRAFT 2023 ( official / unofficial thread )

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok. But this won’t end well. 

......for Daniel Jones

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok. But this won’t end well. 

Humm, seems like that's exactly what I told you when you guys foolishly took Barkely #2 overall and you were all so giddy. 

I trust Will McClay - I'll take my chances. 

28 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I like Brad Holmes' last two drafts, they were near perfect. I think he's getting a bit big in the head and believing his press coverage. All right, they didn't want Jalen Carter. He's got potential HOF ability at a position of need, but whatever. I know about the character baggage too. That still doesn't mean go reach deeply at 12 for a position you don't need and reach again at 18.

This was just a huge wasted opportunity.

It does feel that way.   I get the Carter thing somewhat, and yeah, their top guys were gone.  When Witherspoon went to Seattle that was when they decided to trade.   The one thing I will say is he drafted 2 guys who can start day one.  That's good.   Let's see how the next 3 picks go.

26 minutes ago, MDC said:

Between the gambling stuff and the draft Detroit has had a pretty bad offseason after a promising 2022. I’d be pissed.

How would you feel about Levis or Hooker in the 2nd?

I think going defense/defense/defense/defense/defense/defense/WR/ defense/defense/ defense would have been the proper strategy but that's out the window. 

Levis is a value pick in the second I wouldn't mind nabbing him but the Lions don't need him. I think Goff a fine QB and, at 28, has lots of mileage left. He's expensive now and going to be expensive to re-sign so a discount Levis makes sense. Really, when the Lions landed Goff, I saw him as a placeholder and thought they were given an extra 1st rounder as a gift to eat his contract. That I turned out to actually LIKE him is a huge surprise. Other than the Thanksgiving kneeler, the Lions have had nothing but a string of awful QBs my entire life. Goff is as good as they've ever had. 

NFL draft is such a waste of time. They should just throw darts at a board

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Humm, seems like that's exactly what I told you when you guys foolishly took Barkely #2 overall and you were all so giddy. 

I trust Will McClay - I'll take my chances. 

Sure. Is he going to be speaking up about other roster moves? Who to re-sign and for how much? Reminds me of Tiki.  

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sure. Is he going to be speaking up about other roster moves? Who to re-sign and for how much? Reminds me of Tiki.  

You think Micah is the 1st star player to campaign for his guy on draft night? Good grief, if you do you’re dumber than some of the clowns around here. W. McClay runs the show now - and his recent draft history of 1st rounders has been rock solid - he made the pick, not Micah. 

If Jerry pulls the trigger and KC takes Smith, all are praising the Chiefs for the pick. All giddy over how genius KC is and his they know their DTs…

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

You think Micah is the 1st star player to campaign for his guy on draft night? Good grief, if you do you’re dumber than some of the clowns around here. W. McClay runs the show now - and his recent draft history of 1sr rounders has been rock solid - he made the pick, not Micah. 

If Jerry pulls the trigger and KC takes Smith, all are praising the Chiefs for the pick. All giddy over how genius KC is and his they know their DTs…

Yeah, so what if others have done it? That’s what makes it a smart thing to do? Players play. They should stay in their lane. Hard to believe you don’t agree. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, so what if others have done it? That’s what makes it a smart thing to do? Players play. They should stay in their lane. Hard to believe you don’t agree. 

The pick sucks regardless 

19 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

For my team, New York Giants, at 25, players I would love to get that have a shot of being available

1) Deonte Banks

2) Brian Branch

3) Quentin Johnson

4) John Michael Schmitz

5) Emmanuel Forbes

Nailed round 1.  Looking at round 2.  It gets much harder to predict who will be available, and we learned in round 1 that grades vary greatly by team.

Branch is still there but he's not making it to 57.  If JMS or Tippman are still there, I secure my C.  Would also love to get another playmaker.  Keep your eyes on three guys, Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims and Jonathan Mingo.  Also for Saturday, Andre Losivas.  Torrance and Avila are still out there as well.  Excited for tonight after getting a lock down corner.

Seattle comes out of the first round with the best defensive secondary in the NFL the Legion of Spoon, and the top WR group. Luxury picks, but DAAAAAAMMNN. I am very, very pleased. And best of all, didn't end up with a raw project QB nor that criminal slug Jalen Carter. Teams could have taken Carter, and kept passing on him. Just need to grab some defensive front 7 help, a OC and OG, and a RB at some point. Still have 8 picks remaining, will trade back a few times and make it a dozen picks. 

The biggest reaches of the night, guys that had no business going in the first round: Jahmyr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Mazi Smith, Anton Harrison, and Felix Anuike-Uzomah. Basically, Detroit reached mightily twice, and Dallas still might have had an even worse night, just missing out on Dalton Kincaid. The Jags and Chiefs were only slight reaches, as they had late 1st round picks. 

Did Will Levis sleep in the green room last night? :sleep:

3 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Seattle comes out of the first round with the best defensive secondary in the NFL the Legion of Spoon, and the top WR group. Luxury picks, but DAAAAAAMMNN. I am very, very pleased. And best of all, didn't end up with a raw project QB nor that criminal slug Jalen Carter. Teams could have taken Carter, and kept passing on him. Just need to grab some defensive front 7 help, a OC and OG, and a RB at some point. Still have 8 picks remaining, will trade back a few times and make it a dozen picks. 

The biggest reaches of the night, guys that had no business going in the first round: Jahmyr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Mazi Smith, Anton Harrison, and Felix Anuike-Uzomah. Basically, Detroit reached mightily twice, and Dallas still might have had an even worse night, just missing out on Dalton Kincaid. The Jags and Chiefs were only slight reaches, as they had late 1st round picks. 

Did Will Levis sleep in the green room last night? :sleep:

Do you think Campbell was a reach because the draft analysts had him going in the second round or do you actually think he's not that good?

13 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Nailed round 1

Giants whiffed. They missed out on a WR and Nolan Smith was gift wrapped for them. 

Banks is a nice player and I think he'll be a nice addition but they should of been aggressive and gotten their WR. 

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do you think Campbell was a reach because the draft analysts had him going in the second round or do you actually think he's not that good?

Off the ball LBers suck to take in the 1st.  As a Packers fan, I know.  

Campbell is really safe but that is the RB position of the defense.  As far as value.  

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't like taking LB in the first round in general, much like RB nowadays, but Campbell is serviceable, but not athletic enough for my liking, and he may not be the best fit for covering/keeping up with pass catchers in the middle of the field, especially the shiftier ones. He's a typical, smart but non-descript, questionable athlete white middle LBs. Footwork needs some work. Serviceable, not special. Could have gotten him with one of those 3 2nd round picks that Detroit had. Just my opinion. I had him going in the 50's overall, closer to 60's.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

I think going defense/defense/defense/defense/defense/defense/WR/ defense/defense/ defense would have been the proper strategy but that's out the window. 

Levis is a value pick in the second I wouldn't mind nabbing him but the Lions don't need him. I think Goff a fine QB and, at 28, has lots of mileage left. He's expensive now and going to be expensive to re-sign so a discount Levis makes sense. Really, when the Lions landed Goff, I saw him as a placeholder and thought they were given an extra 1st rounder as a gift to eat his contract. That I turned out to actually LIKE him is a huge surprise. Other than the Thanksgiving kneeler, the Lions have had nothing but a string of awful QBs my entire life. Goff is as good as they've ever had. 

I think Goff is a UFA after next season, right? Might be smart to pick up a toolsy project QB like Levis and let him learn from the bench for a year before taking over. Unless they want to pay Goff $40m/per at age 30. I wouldn’t. 

47 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Will McClay and Dan Quinn wanted him - they seem to have done pretty well targeting guys on draft day around here. I’ll take my chances with them. 

amd smart, what do you know about smart? Like I said, in arguably NYs biggest/highest pick sense Eli - you imploded, fell on your face all happy with Barkley, even though I told you it was a monumental mistake. Pardon me if I take your draft wisdom with a grain a salt. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Giants whiffed. They missed out on a WR and Nolan Smith was gift wrapped for them. 

Banks is a nice player and I think he'll be a nice addition but they should of been aggressive and gotten their WR. 

They were not high on these WRs, or Nolan Smith.  There are some good WRs left and Smith wouldn't have a role on the team given the current roster.  Banks has the tools to be a franchise CB and it's a glaring need that was solved.

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

They were not high on these WRs, or Nolan Smith.  There are some good WRs left and Smith wouldn't have a role on the team given the current roster.  Banks has the tools to be a franchise CB and it's a glaring need that was solved.

If CB was a glaring concern then they should of traded up for Gonzales as he was falling. The front office whiffed. 

15 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Will McClay and Dan Quinn wanted him - they seem to have done pretty well targeting guys on draft day around here. I’ll take my chances with them. 

amd smart, what do you know about smart? Like I said, in arguably NYs biggest/highest pick sense Eli - you imploded, fell on your face all happy with Barkley, even though I told you it was a monumental mistake. Pardon me if I take your draft wisdom with a grain a salt. 

I never mentioned the pick. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

I never mentioned the pick. 

Oh good grief, you did too. You were all happy and excited over it….. Like I said, Smith may be a bust. But given McClay’s track record and the fact we finally showed value in DT - I’ll take my chances and give it a shot. 

10 minutes ago, League Champion said:

If CB was a glaring concern then they should of traded up for Gonzales as he was falling. The front office whiffed. 

They were probably higher on Banks, I don't even think the Giants met with Gonzalez.  I believe Banks was their CB1.  You're just being a douche, like you always are.

12 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

You're just being a douche, like you always 

Not at all, I like Banks a lot but I think to compete in the NFC as it is today, they should of been more aggressive IMO. That's all I'm saying. 

22 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Oh good grief, you did too. You were all happy and excited over it….. Like I said, Smith may be a bust. But given McClay’s track record and the fact we finally showed value in DT - I’ll take my chances and give it a shot. 

I never mentioned the cowboys pick. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I never mentioned the cowboys pick. 

I did, Mazi Smith is a late 2nd to early 3rd round talent. Terrible value where he was picked. 

7 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Not at all, I like Banks a lot but I think to compete in the NFC as it is today, they should of been more aggressive IMO. That's all I'm saying. 

The NFC isn't good.  Eagles are good but it is much more about their leagur leading rushing attack.   

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

The NFC isn't good.  Eagles are good but it is much more about their leagur leading rushing attack.   

I don't disagree but the Giants are 3rd In just the NFC East. They aren't as close as Giant fans think. 

I do feel bad for the guys that are there live but don't get their names called.  I felt bad for Levis last night every time they showed up.  They just showed a clip of him getting a phone call and he gets so excited to answer the phone, but it's only his uber wondering where he is.

• Haha 1

Giants bigger mistake was giving $40m/per to a QB who threw 15 TD passes last year. 

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

I do feel bad for the guys that are there live but don't get their names called.  I felt bad for Levis last night every time they showed up.  They just showed a clip of him getting a phone call and he gets so excited to answer the phone, but it's only his uber wondering where he is.

He looks like a colossal dbag tho. :D  

Just now, League Champion said:

I don't disagree but the Giants are 3rd In just the NFC East. They aren't as close as Giant fans think. 

They won a playoff game last year, stop it.  Expectation is playoffs again this year, and MGM has them at +140 to do so.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

They won a playoff game last year

Ohh please. The Vikings lost a playoff game, it just happened to be against the Giants. A team that won EXACTLY 1 game in their own division. 

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

You don't watch much football do you? He's a pile mover, a disrupter, demands double teams. Now what happens when you put him next to Fletcher Cox, Jordan Davis, Reddick, Nolan Smith or Brandon Graham? Who are you going to stop?? It's a jail break. He just parts the seas for the other guys. 

If you watched any College football then you know what a force he is. He wasn't rated #1 overall for nothing. 

There we go. The ole' "you don't watch much football" schtick. I've seen enough Jalen Carter to know the guy disappears for stretches of the games he played in. You would  think such a "force" would luck into more than a 2 sack per year average. So destructive that he he had 44 whole solo tackles in 3 years. 83 overall with assisted tackles. But oh, he disrupts so other players can make the plays. :doh:

The guy cared so much that he got arrested during the combine that he geared up for his pro day just to not be able to finish planned drills he was so out of shape. At his own pro day. 

Back in September the cops pleaded with the guy to stop speeding around town. To tell his teammates to stop as well. But fock that, Carter be Carter and ran away when his teammate crashed. Worried more about being caught than his teammate's safety. Then the guy lied his ass off. That's called character. And not the good kind of character.

Then this #1 prospect dropped past every team he agreed to meet with besides philthy ( He said he would only meet with teams picking in the top 10). None of them wanted him. Atlanta took a running back over that dude. Sure, maybe he somehow gets his shlt together and becomes a hard worker for the first time in his life, but that's fine, philthy can have his lame ass based on hoping. Too many red flags though. And all the other teams he met with thought so as well.  

I think pilthy's second pick was better than their first.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Wasting picks to go move up for gonzo is going to be the difference? What if Banks is better?   I see no reason to press and send picks to a team to grab a different corner.  

If giants arent close to winning the division why trade away picks?

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I think Goff is a UFA after next season, right? Might be smart to pick up a toolsy project QB like Levis and let him learn from the bench for a year before taking over. Unless they want to pay Goff $40m/per at age 30. I wouldn’t. 

At this point I'm wholly confused on what the Lions strategy is in this draft.  I thought we needed defense and we draft a RB at #12.  Not that we don't need one, but seemed like a reach.  So whatever they do going forward, I expect to be shocked.     If you listen to the local radio, (to the guys who have shown they dont know sh!t) they say CB like Joey Porter jr.   But who the hell knows at this point.

12 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

The guy cared so much that he got arrested during the combine

That's a little out of context.  He was arrested for something that happened a long time before the combine.  Pretty poor timing that looked really bad.  The out of shape thing is spot on though.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's a little out of context.  He was arrested for something that happened a long time before the combine.  Pretty poor timing that looked really bad.  The out of shape thing is spot on though.

I didn't write that out well. My point was more that he cared so much about his arrest and how it looked that he didn't even push to be in shape for his pro day. News is coming out that the Bears had a bad meeting with Carter on one visit. I'll bet other teams felt the same way. We know that the Raiders came out and said before the draft that he was crossed off their list. Seems the Bears felt the same way. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I didn't write that out well. My point was more that he cared so much about his arrest and how it looked that he didn't even push to be in shape for his pro day. News is coming out that the Bears had a bad meeting with Carter on one visit. I'll bet other teams felt the same way. We know that the Raiders came out and said before the draft that he was crossed off their list. Seems the Bears felt the same way. 

I read that they were really interested in Carter and met with him a few times.  It's obvious the Bears didn't think he was worth the risk.  I would've been fine taking him but I'm not upset that they didn't.  I'm happy with getting a great OT along with a free pick.

4 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Who cares what a couple of poverty franchises like Chicago and Vegas think?

• Sad 1