Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I have the first waiver pick this week.

12 team ppr. I never end up with the #1 ww pick and somehow I did.  Do I 

A. Pick up Puka. Rename my team to Pukas punks and hope he can keep it up as a WR2 when Kupp comes back or can continue to roll as a WR1 with Kupp out.  I have Ridley, Higgens and Godwin as my starting 3 with MVS and Van Jefferson as backups

B. Pick up Joshua Kelly in hopes that he is the starter while Eckler is out and Eckler may draw this injury out in his contract year with nothing left to play for. I do not have Eckler. This would also help by hurting the eckler owner. I have Javonte williams and Tank Bigbsy as backups

C. Pic up Gus Edwards, rename my team Get on the bus Gus and hope that his 5ypc as a backup holds up to an actual load and he gets 15-20 carries a game.  I do not have dobbins. This would not hurt the dobbins owner as he has Pollard playing the flex. 

D. Pick up Kendrick Lamar on the hopes that Billy boy may have seen enough to scheme him as a WR1.  I

E. Go fock yourself. 

I really do not have many needs. I am in 3rd in my division with a win and slightly behind the other 2 in points. That being said any of these could be game changers off the WW. Not because they were great picks before the season started but one game in they are being forced into the spotlight and performing well.  Who among those continues to do well season long? 

F.  Pick up Kyren Williams.  Rename your team Not Today Kyren!, In hopes that the Rams finally move on from Akers and embrace The Kyren.

2 hours ago, BuschWack said:

F.  Pick up Kyren Williams.  Rename your team Not Today Kyren!, In hopes that the Rams finally move on from Akers and embrace The Kyren.

dude was drafted believe it or not. 

2 hours ago, BuschWack said:

I dont mind this option.   

Kyren isnt a lock to continue.   rams still have Akers top of the depth chart (officially) but I do think he looked really good.   

Puka is actually a lower risk pickup.   his scouting reports and the camp reports I looked at suggested he would likely play a significant role.   I just didnt think it would happen this early in the year.   but now that the cat is out of the bag, you gotta jump or let someone else have him.

for me what it comes down to is whether you need a RB or a WR more.

if you are more needy at RB then Kyren is your guy.  if you are more needy at WR, Puka is your guy.

Gus edwards is an option too but I think he has a higher floor and a lower ceiling than Kyren does.    so whether you pick him ahead of Kyren is mostly a matter of risk preference.

Edit-  I never realized Kyren was taken,   so its gus if you need a RB.   sorry.  should have read all the replies before replying

Edited by Ray_T
  • Like 1

A and B are the only answers. And E!

6 minutes ago, plasma george said:

what about Rashid Shaheed WR | NO  ?

hes got talent, but is currently listed as the #3 there behind Olave and Michael Thomas.

not very many WR3's are productive to a point where it makes sense to roster them.   but given Thomas recent health, he may be a nice stash in deeper leagues or in dynasty leagues.

in week 1 Thomas and Olave got most of the looks (10 and 8 respectively) with Shahid getting 5 catches on 6 looks and had himself a nice day.

that said, if shahid continues to catch at this rate, maybe he eventually becomes the WR2.   but I think Thomas will get all the opportunities possible to see if he can recapture the form he had when he was the #1 WR in all of pro football.

if he overtakes him it will be a slow process.

• Like 1

Great advice guys.

Not meaning to high jack the thread, I'm #2 WW priority.

FWIW, I put in for Puka first, and Kyren 2nd.

6 minutes ago, plasma george said:

Great advice guys.

Not meaning to high jack the thread, I'm #2 WW priority.

FWIW, I put in for Puka first, and Kyren 2nd.

good luck.

I'm doing the opposite, but I need a RB due to dobbins injury.

so my order is more need based.    here is hoping we all get what we want/need on this weeks FAAB cycle.

20 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if he overtakes him it will be a slow process.

A few things you can count on in life... death and Michael Thomas getting injured.

I think Joshua Kelley is the answer.  He just did well with Ekeler in the lineup.  JK will be an RB1 when Ekeler hits the sideline.  The Rams are going to stink and be in a committee.  

I have the second pick and hope he is still there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think Joshua Kelley is the answer.  He just did well with Ekeler in the lineup.  JK will be an RB1 when Ekeler hits the sideline.  The Rams are going to stink and be in a committee.  

Do we know Echeler is out and how long ?

he’s a beast, if he can play chargers will feed him 

Puka could turn into something special. Probably not, but he could.

Can’t really say that about any of the others (except Kyren, who you said is already rostered).

So to me, that’s your answer.

But if you’re absolutely desperate for an RB3 that has no hope of blowing up, then Gus Edwards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Puka could turn into something special. Probably not, but he could.

Can’t really say that about any of the others (except Kyren, who you said is already rostered).

So to me, that’s your answer.

But if you’re absolutely desperate for an RB3 that has no hope of blowing up, then Gus Edwards.

bang on.

honestly in looking at the scouting report, it looks like the report suggests hes high in talent but ran a very limited route tree in college so he was a bit of an unknown.   thats why he fell so far in the draft.

the important thing is the talent was there.   McVay is a very good teacher and I think what happened here is they took a kid who was high on talent and low on polish, and taught him a few things and now hes a lot closer to being a finished product.   I am sure there are still some flaws in his game that we have not yet noticed or seen, but hes good enough to play at this level now.

Thats what we are seeing.

as I got worms just said, he is the only one on the list that could potentially be special.   if taking a flyer on a guy who may sit on your bench, why not swing for the fences.

the guy who just gets 60 yards a game along with the occasional TD is good enough to be rostered but he likely sits on your bench all year in case someone better gets hurt.

Puka on the other hand actually could be the someone better you've been looking for.

12 hours ago, plasma george said:

Do we know Echeler is out and how long ?

he’s a beast, if he can play chargers will feed him 

No update yet on Ekelers tweaked ankle.  The podcast I heard downplayed the injury saying it was only Wed practice that was being talked about being missed.

While Ekeler may be a beast the first week may be showing that LAC, now under OC Moore, will use J Kelley more.  First week 91 yds on 16 carries and a TD while LAC had a fairly healthy Ekeler.

After week 1 it looks like LAC will have a porous defense, explosive offense, be involved in plenty of shootouts.  And J Kelley may have an active role.  I tend to believe the outlook gathered for LAC after week 1 more than information gathered on the Rams from week 1.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

as I got worms just said, he is the only one on the list that could potentially be special.   if taking a flyer on a guy who may sit on your bench, why not swing for the fences.

the guy who just gets 60 yards a game along with the occasional TD is good enough to be rostered but he likely sits on your bench all year in case someone better gets hurt.

Puka on the other hand actually could be the someone better you've been looking for.

Disagree.  J Kelley has the potential to be driving force behind league winners.  If/when the disgruntled Ekeler finds an injury worth holding out on, J Kelley shoots up to easily a top 10, maybe top 5 RB.

J Kelley looks to have stand alone value right now as the 1b RB in LAC.  For instance, for this week I rate J Kelley above both C Akers and K Williams (who play SF).

14 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The best case scenario happened. I picked up puka first and zach moss with my second round waiver pick.  Then I checked back to see who was left once the waivers cleared this morning and it looks like the only people who were active on the wire made claims for people like edwards, hill, zach wilson(2qb league), Gesiki, Trautman  This is a money league that has been around for a long time. Good players. Very competitive and high scoring. We had a team that scored 290 points in one game last year in a perfect storm of all his players hitting. I am very pleased but pretty shocked to see Kelley went unclaimed. So I ended up with my top 2 picks in this thread and moss as a throw in. 

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Disagree.  J Kelley has the potential to be driving force behind league winners.  If/when the disgruntled Ekeler finds an injury worth holding out on, J Kelley shoots up to easily a top 10, maybe top 5 RB.

J Kelley looks to have stand alone value right now as the 1b RB in LAC.  For instance, for this week I rate J Kelley above both C Akers and K Williams (who play SF).

hes a nice talent, but as long as ekeler is starting he will be limited.

obviously you think Ekeler will miss time and if thats how you feel, he should be on your team.   

I do think there is an outside chance this could become a committee(which is good for Kelley).   it sounds like the coach wants to run the ball a lot more.    the guy should definitely be rostered.  I just dont know that hes a league winner unless Ekeler misses significant time as ekeler is on the field an awful lot which doesnt necessarily bode well for Kelley's time on the field. 

52 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

hes a nice talent, but as long as ekeler is starting he will be limited.

obviously you think Ekeler will miss time and if thats how you feel, he should be on your team.   

I do think there is an outside chance this could become a committee(which is good for Kelley).   it sounds like the coach wants to run the ball a lot more.    the guy should definitely be rostered.  I just dont know that hes a league winner unless Ekeler misses significant time as ekeler is on the field an awful lot which doesnt necessarily bode well for Kelley's time on the field. 

Yes, I think Ekeler will miss time.  I think that may be sooner than most others think - like he suffered a high ankle sprain in the last game.  I saw a view of the play I think it occurred on, from that point Ekeler had about 3 or 4 more carries and JK got about 7.  It would make sense the staff is downplaying it because they sent him back out there after it occurred.  If that's the case they will slow roll the information.  Ekeler will probably have his own doctors evaluate him and the odds go up he sits.  The angle from the team will be Ekeler is being overly cautious and the angle from Ekelar is the team was reckless and putting his career in danger.

And yes, as long as Ekeler is starting Kelley's ceiling is limited.   But even still I think I would prefer him over Akers and K Williams (going against SF), and over any RB on Indy at the moment.  

Kelley at top five rb if Ekler indeed misses playing time, mmm that’s interesting. 

1 hour ago, cavern said:

i am surprised kenny gainwell has not gotten a mention... well, until now

I think people assumed when they brought in Penny that they were telling him to take a seat.   but reports I saw suggest the team has really loved this guy going back to last year. 

the deceiving part is that they never ramped up his playing time last year so the optics made it look like he was a JAG.   only way to know better would be to watch him play or watch the practices.

sadly his lack of playing time made it hard to figure out what the team had there and not a lot of people sit in on the practices other than maybe media and most of them wont know the difference between a good practice and a bad one.

Thats why this is surprising a lot of people.   Not a lot of info out there from which to formulate a good opinon.

1 hour ago, cavern said:

i am surprised kenny gainwell has not gotten a mention... well, until now

Be aware that K Gainwell may be injured.  He hasn't practiced yet this week according to the notification I got today.  And Philly plays on Thiursday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I think people assumed when they brought in Penny that they were telling him to take a seat.   but reports I saw suggest the team has really loved this guy going back to last year. 

the deceiving part is that they never ramped up his playing time last year so the optics made it look like he was a JAG.   only way to know better would be to watch him play or watch the practices.

sadly his lack of playing time made it hard to figure out what the team had there and not a lot of people sit in on the practices other than maybe media and most of them wont know the difference between a good practice and a bad one.

Thats why this is surprising a lot of people.   Not a lot of info out there from which to formulate a good opinon.

He’s hurt, it seems like a hot hand situation, and he’s really never had significant touches or production in his career. I think he should be on the list but not near the top

9 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Could be Gainwell is just the last decent Rb the Eagles have. Penny looked terribly slow in preseason (no surprise a healthy scratch last week). Then there's Swift who the Lions knew quite well and still preferred the Eagles 4th rd pick in '25.  That leaves 5'6" powerback Boston Scott... and Gainwell.

3 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Could be Gainwell is just the last decent Rb the Eagles have. Penny looked terribly slow in preseason (no surprise a healthy scratch last week). Then there's Swift who the Lions knew quite well and still preferred the Eagles 4th rd pick in '25.  That leaves 5'6" powerback Boston Scott... and Gainwell.

not sure what the deal was with Swift.   I was in the camp that figured they brought him in to start or share a backfield with Penny.   it wasnt until I did a deeper dive that I was able to figure out how we got to this point and I dont know that I even have the full story.

but we have pieced together enough that we sort of know who the players to watch are..... Gainwell, and Possibly Swift.   the fact that Penny was a healthy scratch makes me think hes not likely their preference.

Scott is the TD play and swift is the yardage play for the philly ground game I would bet. Scott probably scores a 2 yard td.  Leroy Hoard style. 

16 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Scott is the TD play and swift is the yardage play for the philly ground game I would bet. Scott probably scores a 2 yard td.  Leroy Hoard style. 

I think this is exactly right, they're going to rotate them.

I'm predicting Swift with most touches/yards, Penny working in between the 20s to take some load off Swift, and Scott is a hammer inside the 5.

I'm rolling with Swift over Mostert in my Flex.

47 minutes ago, plasma george said:

I'm rolling with Swift over Mostert in my Flex.

I'd seriously rethink that. Swift drafters are understandably hoping he becomes the player they imagined when drafted, but Week 1 left little reason to believe that's gonna happen this week.

Meanwhile Mostert is getting carries, receptions and goal line work.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

I'd seriously rethink that. Swifti  drafters are understandably hoping he becomes the player they imagined when drafted, but Week 1 left little reason to believe that's gonna happen this week.

Meanwhile Mostert is getting carries, receptions and goal line work.

I know, I'm going back and forth, Gainwell is Out.  He's a small change of pace back, isn't breaking tackles from bigger LBs,  maybe the reason for his rib injury.  Coach commented he never thought Swift would have that little amount of touches, I think they feed him TNF.  Michael Florio on NFL just said Swift is a Start. (he had Najeh as a sit last week at SF, I sat him)

I drafted Mostert knowing Wilson is out.  Help me out ? .... Choose 3 out of Najeh, Walker, Mostert, Swift.

3 minutes ago, plasma george said:

I know, I'm going back and forth, Gainwell is Out. 

Ok, I didn't know that. I'd still lean Mostert (Hurts steals most Tds anyway), but closer than I thought.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:07 PM, GobbleDog said:

I also have the top waiver and will be taking the Gus Bus. 

I took the Gus Bus because I figured any Rb handed the starting roll is an auto-waiver.  So I decided to look at some highlight film...  not impressed. Just slowly runs forward til someone touches him and he falls down. And those are the highlights.  :cry:

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I took the Gus Bus because I figured any Rb handed the starting roll is an auto-waiver.  So I decided to look at some highlight film...  not impressed. Just slowly runs forward til someone touches him and he falls down. And those are the highlights.  :cry:

Our #1 waiver guy took Gus, another took Kyreen, I tried for Kyreen but didn't get him.

8 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Neither he nor justice hill are any good 

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Neither he nor justice hill are any good 

Gus is a north-south runner, which is good for goal line and short yardage. But he doesn't seem to shed tackles, juke, or look very fast. Just nothing special to my untrained eye.

Beginning to wonder if I should've looked elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Gus is a north-south runner, which is good for goal line and short yardage. But he doesn't seem to shed tackles, juke, or look very fast. Just nothing special to my untrained eye.

Based on volume of touches he should be a serviceable RB3. There is some value there but he’ll never be anything more 

34 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

50.6 PFF grade on 15 snaps. Not great Bob...

• Like 1