Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

The Bears have the worst coaching I've ever seen.

It's just surreal. They will not win a game this year. They have better players yet are worse than last year. 

Fields is not getting an extension. He better not. He looks like crap for all the hype about his "incredible work ethic". Dude can't drop back in the pocket any quicker than current day Joe Namath could. 

Chase Claypool came out and said after the game that he doesn't know the plays. He doesn't know if it's a run play or pass play on any given down. 

Yesterday 1 safety was ill and couldn't take the full load, the other got hurt and was taken out. No one can generate any pass rush.

They have a stud RB in Roschon Johnson but the only handed the ball off to him 4 times for 32 yards. Their other stud player is DJ Moore but only targeted him 7 times for 6 grabs while they target Chase focking Claypool 8 times for 3 whole catches.

They spent $30 million on a right guard who can't get on the field. Their left OT is worse this year than he was last year. Regression is the name of the coaching tactics it seems. 

They have some kind of ability to put together the best opening drives of the game for scores but then can't do shlt for the rest of the game.

If they get a top 2 pick next year they will take a QB and turn him into Justin Fields. There is nothing to look forward to with this team. Nothing.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

It's just surreal. They will not win a game this year. They have better players yet are worse than last year. 

Fields is not getting an extension. He better not. He looks like crap for all the hype about his "incredible work ethic". Dude can't drop back in the pocket any quicker than current day Joe Namath could. 

Chase Claypool came out and said after the game that he doesn't know the plays. He doesn't know if it's a run play or pass play on any given down. 

Yesterday 1 safety was ill and couldn't take the full load, the other got hurt and was taken out. No one can generate any pass rush.

They have a stud RB in Roschon Johnson but the only handed the ball off to him 4 times for 32 yards. Their other stud player is DJ Moore but only targeted him 7 times for 6 grabs while they target Chase focking Claypool 8 times for 3 whole catches.

They spent $30 million on a right guard who can't get on the field. Their left OT is worse this year than he was last year. Regression is the name of the coaching tactics it seems. 

They have some kind of ability to put together the best opening drives of the game for scores but then can't do shlt for the rest of the game.

If they get a top 2 pick next year they will take a QB and turn him into Justin Fields. There is nothing to look forward to with this team. Nothing.

Bears fans made such a huge deal about Fields being an MVP candidate and THIS is what they got. The coaching staff wants to make him into a pocket passer but he can't be that because he has never had to be that. He has never had to be anything other than a QB that the defense had to account for his legs. If you can spy on him he simply can not beat you with his arm. The ONLY time he looked good was when he was running for his life last year. And that only looked good for fantasy. They want to be a run team like the ravens but they will not use their running backs to pound the rock. Both Johnson and Herbert COULD be good but it is hard to tell. Claypool is a focking moron and clearly does not care about his job. Has not for years. The coaching staff is one of the worst I have ever seen and I am a lions fan. I would know. 

5 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Bears fans made such a huge deal about Fields being an MVP candidate and THIS is what they got. The coaching staff wants to make him into a pocket passer but he can't be that because he has never had to be that. He has never had to be anything other than a QB that the defense had to account for his legs. If you can spy on him he simply can not beat you with his arm. The ONLY time he looked good was when he was running for his life last year. And that only looked good for fantasy. They want to be a run team like the ravens but they will not use their running backs to pound the rock. Both Johnson and Herbert COULD be good but it is hard to tell. Claypool is a focking moron and clearly does not care about his job. Has not for years. The coaching staff is one of the worst I have ever seen and I am a lions fan. I would know. 

I'll stand corrected if you point out where I said it, but I personally in no way predicted that he would be MVP this year. I did think he would be forced to throwing instead of running which is the right strategy to find out if he will ever be able to throw the ball. They weren't going to win this year anyway. May as well evaluate what you have.

This year was only to see what the coaching staff could do and what Fields could do in the pocket. And it is proving out that they both suck. It's fine that Fields sucks, but it is a grave matter that the coaching looks this bad. The Bears need to cut their losses quickly. Give Fields and the coaching staff until game 8 or 9 to turn things into a positive else put in Bagant at QB and start looking for a new coaching staff. And I've been saying for a while that Claypool needs to go. Taking the loss is no big deal in the NFL. It happens to every team. They ALL do some bad moves here and there.  Hanging onto the 'L' is always the mistake. 

And Fields threw the ball a lot in college but he had an oline that could keep him upright and stellar receivers that were always wide open. 

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I'll stand corrected if you point out where I said it, but I personally in no way predicted that he would be MVP this year. 

Nahh it was not you. But I am in Michigan and as a Lions fan I heard a lot of talk about that. It seemed delusional then and does now. He is NOT an NFL QB. Some guys games translate really well to the NFL but if you ONLY have speed that is not going to be able to get it done at the NFL level because almost everyone is going to be as fast or faster than you at this level. 

2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Nahh it was not you. But I am in Michigan and as a Lions fan I heard a lot of talk about that. It seemed delusional then and does now. He is NOT an NFL QB. Some guys games translate really well to the NFL but if you ONLY have speed that is not going to be able to get it done at the NFL level because almost everyone is going to be as fast or faster than you at this level. 

Good time to be a Lions fan it seems. Don't know how they lost to the Seahawks though. But I think Seattle was flying under the radar this year. They could be a real deal team.

I'm glad the Bears didn't sign Fields to a long term contract. That is one thing they absolutely did do right. He can still prove to the be the guy. It's a long season, but holy hell, I seriously wouldn't mind if they started Bagant in week 3. No love lost. 

I bought into the hype last year and drafted Mooney and Kmet.

then I watched the first 2 bears game and it looked like a high school offense on the field.  absolutely terrible. Later in the year it looked a bit better but I was amazed at how bad they were.

I'm not sure if its bad coaching or the QB couldnt pick up enough of the pro concepts you want them to know but it was awful.

so I avoided Bears this year.

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I bought into the hype last year and drafted Mooney and Kmet.

then I watched the first 2 bears game and it looked like a high school offense on the field.  absolutely terrible. Later in the year it looked a bit better but I was amazed at how bad they were.

I'm not sure if its bad coaching or the QB couldnt pick up enough of the pro concepts you want them to know but it was awful.

so I avoided Bears this year.

Later in the year they looked better because the coaching staff was not trying to force fields to be a pocket passer. He was a runner that could pass...on occasion. When no one was covering his wideouts. 

51 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Later in the year they looked better because the coaching staff was not trying to force fields to be a pocket passer. He was a runner that could pass...on occasion. When no one was covering his wideouts. 

I won't deny they are forcing him to be a pocket passer, but that is they right thing to do. Next year he's up for an extension at some point before his 5th year. They need to know and I'm glad they are forcing him into it and putting him to the test. I would never want to give a run first QB a long term $200M contract like Baltimore did. Even they are trying to make Jackson throw more instead of run. The guy can't finish a season healthy. 

I just hope the Bears won't be afraid to let Fields go. "But what if someone else turns him into a good QB?" would be the wrong approach. I don't think Poles will make that mistake though unless Fields can learn to get back in his drops and make smart decisions quickly.

3 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I won't deny they are forcing him to be a pocket passer, but that is they right thing to do. Next year he's up for an extension at some point before his 5th year. They need to know and I'm glad they are forcing him into it and putting him to the test. I would never want to give a run first QB a long term $200M contract like Baltimore did. Even they are trying to make Jackson throw more instead of run. The guy can't finish a season healthy. 

I just hope the Bears won't be afraid to let Fields go. "But what if someone else turns him into a good QB?" would be the wrong approach. I don't think Poles will make that mistake though unless Fields can learn to get back in his drops and make smart decisions quickly.

He will make a great backup. He could come in and basically kill a defense that was geared for a dropback qb. The changeup if you will. If anyone signs him to a long term contract they get what they deserve. A RB that can occasionally throw the ball on go routes. Maybe bring him on on jet sweeps if the starter is healthy. I could see the colts picking him up once he realizes no one is gonna pay him in his next contract. 

6 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

He will make a great backup. He could come in and basically kill a defense that was geared for a dropback qb. The changeup if you will. If anyone signs him to a long term contract they get what they deserve. A RB that can occasionally throw the ball on go routes. Maybe bring him on on jet sweeps if the starter is healthy. I could see the colts picking him up once he realizes no one is gonna pay him in his next contract. 

He makes sense as a back up but even then, another Taysom Hill? 🤮

Just now, seafoam1 said:

He makes sense as a back up but even then, another Taysom Hill? 🤮

I think that is a little generous. Hill has proven he can catch. 

• Haha 1

Dating back to last season... Bears have now lost 12 straight games. But don't fear... Bears Chiefs next week.  Ouch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Dating back to last season... Bears have now lost 12 straight games. But don't fear... Bears Chiefs next week.  Ouch.

Yeah. That should be fun. 

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

I won't deny they are forcing him to be a pocket passer, but that is they right thing to do

I agree.

you cannot always run the ball.   to be successful in the NFL you actually still need to be a credible threat to throw the football.  otherwise teams stack the box and pull a run blitz every play which turns into a regular blitz if it ends up being a pass play.

I'd say Lamar jackson is on the other side of the line.  you need to at least throw the football well enough that if the other team keys on the run, you can catch them with their pants down by making a good throw.  Thats the difference between him and Lamar.  Lamar can make that throw, and at this point it does not look like Fields can (not yet anyways)

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I agree.

you cannot always run the ball.   to be successful in the NFL you actually still need to be a credible threat to throw the football.  otherwise teams stack the box and pull a run blitz every play which turns into a regular blitz if it ends up being a pass play.

I'd say Lamar jackson is on the other side of the line.  you need to at least throw the football well enough that if the other team keys on the run, you can catch them with their pants down by making a good throw.  Thats the difference between him and Lamar.  Lamar can make that throw, and at this point it does not look like Fields can (not yet anyways)

Fields even in the shotgun drops another 7 yards farther behind the line of scrimmage. He has to complete a 20 yard pass to gain 4 yards. And it destroys the OLine protection scheme.

Year 3. He's been given every excuse in the book. It was fair. But no longer.

15 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Fields even in the shotgun drops another 7 yards farther behind the line of scrimmage. He has to complete a 20 yard pass to gain 4 yards. And it destroys the OLine protection scheme.

Year 3. He's been given every excuse in the book. It was fair. But no longer.

Agreed. The Fields experiment is over.  Just bad. He’s a Kordell Stewart in the making. Use him as an H back or something. LOL. 

20 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Agreed. The Fields experiment is over.  Just bad. He’s a Kordell Stewart in the making. Use him as an H back or something. LOL. 

This play was designed to go to Johnson. He was as open as anyone ever gets in the NFL and had a stroll in TD but Fields somehow can't throw the ball and instead takes a sack.

The protection was fine.

If you haven't seen this play. First watch Roschon all the way on the play. Then watch again and watch the oline do their job. Then watch again and see Fields hesitate for some unknown reason in an open pocket. This is the guy's chance to show he can get rid of the ball in a timely manner and it was set up perfectly. One of the few play calls the OC had right in this game.

Who the hell knows if it's the coaching that messed this guy up and has him overthinking, or if he's just that slow in processing. I don't doubt he worked his ass off all offseason and I followed the Bears the whole time (Reading lame offseason articles), but holy cow....

"Receiver spacing" my ass. 

I paused the video when Johnson was at the 17 yard line, and that's when the ball should have come out. But even when he was at the 14 yard line it could have come out. But even when he was at the 9 yard line Fields had the opening and protection to throw. He could have lollie-popped it to him.

with respect to the receiver spacing thing, there are a couple points

1) if someone is in your face it also hinders your ability to see downfield.  from this angle its tough to say if the pass rush had this effect on him (or not) but it could be a factor

2) as a former QB, if I looked at my read and the WR isnt in the spot I think hes supposed to be, i moved on to the next read.  no point wasting time looking for the guy.

I dont know if that 'spacing' comment was meant to refer to this but its possible.

that said, I do not know how they setup their reads based on what the defense is doing, so it makes it difficult to say whether this is the fault of the QB or the WR but I will say for sure, one of them is to blame for this not happening.

it is also possible that that was the third or fourth read on the play and the pass rush got to him fairly quickly so it could have been missed for that reason too.

certainly the line could have done a better job but it is also possible (and likely) that he needs to get through his progressions faster.

6 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

This play was designed to go to Johnson. He was as open as anyone ever gets in the NFL and had a stroll in TD but Fields somehow can't throw the ball and instead takes a sack.

The protection was fine.

If you haven't seen this play. First watch Roschon all the way on the play. Then watch again and watch the oline do their job. Then watch again and see Fields hesitate for some unknown reason in an open pocket. This is the guy's chance to show he can get rid of the ball in a timely manner and it was set up perfectly. One of the few play calls the OC had right in this game.

Who the hell knows if it's the coaching that messed this guy up and has him overthinking, or if he's just that slow in processing. I don't doubt he worked his ass off all offseason and I followed the Bears the whole time (Reading lame offseason articles), but holy cow....

"Receiver spacing" my ass. 

I paused the video when Johnson was at the 17 yard line, and that's when the ball should have come out. But even when he was at the 14 yard line it could have come out. But even when he was at the 9 yard line Fields had the opening and protection to throw. He could have lollie-popped it to him.

That was an incredible route. The bears HC is just trying to cover for someone who has poor field vision. 

2 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

That was an incredible route. The bears HC is just trying to cover for someone who has poor field vision. 

this is also possible.  as a HC sometimes you will step out there and deflect criticism of some of your players.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

this is also possible.  as a HC sometimes you will step out there and deflect criticism of some of your players.

Yep. That WR spacing, at least on the right side looked perfect. They had the DBs not knowing who to cover and the line backers out of the picture. 

They have had ONE designed run for him so far. That is just fuckingg stupid. There is a model for success in the nfl for a player like this. A Tight end that can catch . A defense that is excellent and a team that is willing to run the ball 500 times a year between its qb and rbs. You can not force fields into being a passing qb when he is not. You need to get him to the edge and let him fly. The ONLY time he has been successful is for like a 7 game stretch last year where they took the wheels off and let him run. There is no way they pick up his option. Part of this is coaching, bad play calling, an unwillingness to play into your "star" qbs strengths but also part of it is the fact that fields is just a really bad qb. It was easy in college to float those passes against slow footed dbs while you had 15 seconds to get rid of the ball. In the NFL everyone is fast and tha 15 seconds is 4.3 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

They have had ONE designed run for him so far. That is just fuckingg stupid. There is a model for success in the nfl for a player like this. A Tight end that can catch . A defense that is excellent and a team that is willing to run the ball 500 times a year between its qb and rbs. You can not force fields into being a passing qb when he is not. You need to get him to the edge and let him fly. The ONLY time he has been successful is for like a 7 game stretch last year where they took the wheels off and let him run. There is no way they pick up his option. Part of this is coaching, bad play calling, an unwillingness to play into your "star" qbs strengths but also part of it is the fact that fields is just a really bad qb. It was easy in college to float those passes against slow footed dbs while you had 15 seconds to get rid of the ball. In the NFL everyone is fast and tha 15 seconds is 4.3 

Well their defensive coordinator is now gone. They are calling it personal reasons. 

Alan Williams resigns as Bears' defensive coordinator

Let's see how long it takes for their OC to have personal issues. 

And another thing.

Bears QB Justin Fields says coaching could be reason he's playing 'robotic'

Said he's gonna play loose and not overthink things like the coaches pushed on him.

Then later in the day he took it all back. :doh:

I must be nuts because I’m thinking about starting Fields again. Duh Bears staff have to just let him run wild at some point right.

RIGHT??? :cry: 

On 9/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, gridiron whirlwinds said:

The Bears are a bad team, they have lost 12 in a row.

Justin Fields is not the QB they they think he is.

Had no idea it was a dozen, wow. 

There's reports that the DC of the Bears was a known pedo, his house got raided right before he resigned. He's saying mental health but reports says otherwise. This team is in shambles, I wouldn't be surprised if they get destroyed at KC this weekend.

The Bears knew that about their DC? 

41 minutes ago, purplengold47 said:

There's reports that the DC of the Bears was a known pedo, his house got raided right before he resigned. He's saying mental health but reports says otherwise. This team is in shambles, I wouldn't be surprised if they get destroyed at KC this weekend.

Don't teams get perks for hiring black people as coaches and upper management? So it doesn't matter if the dude is a criminal, it only matters about the color of his skin. :dunno:

Ruin-y rule. 

If Fields was the Eagles QB, could he be what Hurts is?

Chicago should turn Fields lose as a run/pass QB.  Map out the Eagles playbook... figure out what they do well with Hurts. 

It shouldn't be this hard right?

55 minutes ago, purplengold47 said:

Taken from Peacock Sports Chicago....

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus declined to offer any kind of insight into Williams’ job status early in the day, and the team’s brief announcement when Williams finally resigned prompted salacious rumors online. Poles addressed those rumors.

“I don’t have many details to add there,” Poles said. “We try to work in truth. I mean, I know there's a ton of misinformation out there yesterday. We talked about a house being raided. Completely false. Don't even know where that came from. Worked with (Bears president) Kevin (Warren) and (Bears chairman) George (McCaskey), all of our leadership to make sure we were handling it the right way, communicating properly.”

54 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The Bears knew that about their DC? 

No.  According to GM, Poles, it's false.

1 hour ago, BuschWack said:

No.  According to GM, Poles, it's false.

He's echoing the lawyer. But things are definitely weird because nobody in the organization even came close to expecting this. It was out of the blue.

Watch out. Here come the Bears. 😆

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/28/bears-luke-getsy-believes-offense-building-something-special/

Chicago’s offense ranks 27th in points (15.7), 29th in yards (250), 31st in passing yards (148.3) and quarterback Justin Fields ranks dead last in Total QBR (21.0). It’s been anything but pretty.

But despite the early struggles, offensive coordinator Luke Getsy isn’t concerned and preached patience. In fact, he believes great things are on the way for the offense.

I think we’re in the process of building something special,” Getsy said Thursday at Halas Hall. “We’re in the phase of it’s Week 3 going into Week 4 and we’re going on to find a way to attack Denver in a completely different way than we did Kansas City. … It’s a 17-week process. It is not a three-week process.”

On 9/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, purplengold47 said:

BINGO! called it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Watch out. Here come the Bears. 😆

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/28/bears-luke-getsy-believes-offense-building-something-special/

Chicago’s offense ranks 27th in points (15.7), 29th in yards (250), 31st in passing yards (148.3) and quarterback Justin Fields ranks dead last in Total QBR (21.0). It’s been anything but pretty.

But despite the early struggles, offensive coordinator Luke Getsy isn’t concerned and preached patience. In fact, he believes great things are on the way for the offense.

I think we’re in the process of building something special,” Getsy said Thursday at Halas Hall. “We’re in the phase of it’s Week 3 going into Week 4 and we’re going on to find a way to attack Denver in a completely different way than we did Kansas City. … It’s a 17-week process. It is not a three-week process.”

Thats right.  They are no longer ranked lower than 30th.  this is special and is something to be celebrated.🤣