The Real timschochet

House averts shutdown as McCarthy works out deal with Democrats

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

Isn’t it really like 15 extremists?

Extremist? 

Yeah. The MTG’s and Matt Gaetz types I think qualify. 

Yikes! I haven't been following figured it was more partisan BS. What extremist views are they trying to push forward? 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yikes! I haven't been following figured it was more partisan BS. What extremist views are they trying to push forward? 

Stop Ukraine funding seems to be one of the central pieces. Reinstating Trump’s policies on the border is another. Shutting down the Justice Department’s prosecutions of Trump is a third (though I’m not sure how this one is even possible.) And of course, severe cuts to spending. 

Even if you believe in these policy goals, the people for them don’t have the votes to achieve them. So they’re attempting to force the issue with this shutdown. And at least historically that never works, I can’t see it working this time. 

15 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Because one side thinks it will hurt the other more.

💯

40% of the public will blame the democrats

33% of the public will blame the republicans

shut it down

17 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

💯

40% of the public will blame the democrats

33% of the public will blame the republicans

shut it down

This is incorrect. 

Most of America will blame the Republicans. That is always the case in these shutdowns and even more so this time when there are no clear demands being made. 

22 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Stop Ukraine funding seems to be one of the central pieces. Reinstating Trump’s policies on the border is another. Shutting down the Justice Department’s prosecutions of Trump is a third (though I’m not sure how this one is even possible.) And of course, severe cuts to spending. 

Even if you believe in these policy goals, the people for them don’t have the votes to achieve them. So they’re attempting to force the issue with this shutdown. And at least historically that never works, I can’t see it working this time. 

Those are extremist views?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’m not quite clear on why they’re doing this.

No one is. That's why it's being called the Seinfeld shut down. Because it's over nothing.

1 minute ago, Fnord said:

No one is. That's why it's being called the Seinfeld shut down. Because it's over nothing.

Apparently it's about wanting to secure our border stop a partisan witch Hunt and cut government spending that is entirely out of control.

It's weird that you call it nothing and others call it an extremist viewpoint

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

This is incorrect. 

Most of America will blame the Republicans. That is always the case in these shutdowns and even more so this time when there are no clear demands being made. 

You must not have heard about the poll announced by MSM-NBC where I got the numbers from.  

Here is another:

The recent Monmouth poll, meanwhile, provides little evidence the current fight will hurt the GOP either. When asked “Who will you hold the most responsible if there is a shutdown?” a plurality of respondents — 43% — said they’d blame congressional Republicans. But 27% would blame President Biden and another 21% would blame congressional Democrats — a total of 48% blaming Democrats. That includes independents, 52% of whom say they’d hold either Biden or Democrats in Congress responsible — again for a crisis that stems entirely from a dispute within the ranks of the GOP

:overhead:

Time to shut'r down.

Just now, Cdub100 said:

Apparently it's about wanting to secure our border stop a partisan witch Hunt and cut government spending that is entirely out of control.

It's weird that you call it nothing and others call it an extremist viewpoint

I didn't coin the phrase, but these gonzo freaks are going to shut down the government against even the wishes of most Republican lawmakers, over stuff that is just silly. Have you not noticed that Republicans only care about spending when there's a Dem in the WH?

Bidens speech yesterday in AZ was the first salvo, in which he called out how un-American and authoritarian Trump/MAGA is.

Give it a little time to breathe and people will start to understand the Republicans are fully responsible. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

You must not have heard about the poll announced by MSM-NBC where I got the numbers from.  

Here is another:

:overhead:

Time to shut'r down.

I’m aware of the poll. It strikes me as more unlikely than even the election numbers. But we’ll see. 

33 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

wanting single issue voting is extremist to the MSNBC crowd

There are def some extremists on both sides. It’s my understanding this shutdown wouldn’t happen if not for a handful of peeps in the House. 

30 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

There are def some extremists on both sides. It’s my understanding this shutdown wouldn’t happen if not for a handful of peeps in the House. 

I think this is true, but I am not 100%.  I think the Democrats would still have gamed this, just as the Republicans have in the past. But you could very well be correct. 

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I think this is true, but I am not 100%.  I think the Democrats would still have gamed this, just as the Republicans have in the past. But you could very well be correct. 

There are a bunch of things moving at once so not sure on every aspect of the whole deal but this was the problem called out when McCarthy got the Speaker spot after the 15 votes they did or whatever - he would be held hostage by this group of people.

Gaetz def wants to fock him over now again - like he did before.

Hearing this is a full shutdown as opposed to the last one which they had agreed to keep certain aspects of government funded. Didn’t realize this was different.

Sounds neat! Great work!!

There are a bunch of things moving at once so not sure on every aspect of the whole deal but this was the problem called out when McCarthy got the Speaker spot after the 15 votes they did or whatever - he would be held hostage by this group of people.

Gaetz def wants to fock him over now again - like he did before.

If I may, I think problem "A" with this process is the game of adding in "pet-stuff".  Throwing in things that perhaps are non-relevant, or are too contested and thus gumming up the process.  I get why they do it, this situation affords leverage to secure some extra stuff that no one would otherwise reasonanbly agree to.

This problem then manifests where you have even a small number of people who are steadfastly opposed.  

Problem "B" is the CR.  If they can stop being children, maybe they can put together an actual budget, without the extra stuff.  Then fight it out for the non-essentials. 

There can be only 1 winner in this scenario and that is Democrats.  So I assure you they have NO objection to the Repubs tickle-fighting in the back yard over this. 

9 minutes ago, RLLD said:

There can be only 1 winner in this scenario and that is Democrats.  So I assure you they have NO objection to the Repubs tickle-fighting in the back yard over this. 

Tickle fight? They are ousting their own Speaker 😂

This is wild.

Just now, thegeneral said:

Tickle fight? They are ousting their own Speaker 😂

This is wild.

It is indeed.

I agree Republicans will take a bit more of the blame here eventually. This group seems to not really have much of an agenda that can be explained.

Won’t move the needle one bit.  Unless you believe the oncoming left wing hysteria. I’ll be at work on Monday. How about you?

3 hours ago, RLLD said:

There are no winners. Democrats will gain a political advantage but it’s not worth all the people that are going to be hurt. This totally sucks. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

There are no winners. Democrats will gain a political advantage but it’s not worth all the people that are going to be hurt. This totally sucks. 

I agree with you on this.  But my observation is that in their pursuit of power, Democrats are not above harming we the people.....

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

I agree with you on this.  But my observation is that in their pursuit of power, Democrats are not above harming we the people.....

Of course not. But you should replace “Democrats” with “many politicians”. 

Though not all of them. I don’t believe a Feinstein would ever have gone along with something like this for example. Or John McCain.  

31 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

21 Republicans just killed the latest CR bill which McCarthy was trying to pass. What a disaster. 

Good. I notice you never watched or responded to the video I linked. So I’m just gonna assume you don’t like being educated

Maybe all the non essential government employees that get furloughed when it gets shut down can pick up some coding work like the coal miners. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Maybe all the non essential government employees that get furloughed when it gets shut down can pick up some coding work like the coal miners. 

I'll let my people know

3 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Good. I notice you never watched or responded to the video I linked. So I’m just gonna assume you don’t like being educated

I don’t usually open videos here. Do you want to give me the gist? 

I wonder if they'll swoop in and make a last minute deal to keep the Government open, just like all the other times they pull this schit?

Then, they'll act like they are the heroes of the world.

10 hours ago, Fnord said:

Have you not noticed that Republicans only care about spending when there's a Dem in the WH?

While I appreciate the effort, this is true. Their commitment to deficit reduction fades when a Republican is in office and also fades when the final showdown agreement is reached.

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t usually open videos here. Do you want to give me the gist? 

Are you touched or something ? It plays in the post. It’s doesn’t get larger , you don’t leave, it simply plays in the post

11 hours ago, Fnord said:

Have you not noticed that Republicans only care about spending when there's a Dem in the WH?

I know. It sucks. The GOP was happy to hold Clinton's and  Obama's feet to the fire temporarily then folding but never did it with Bushtard or Trump. There's many new faces in the GOP right now, seem to be taking a harder approach. We'll see how it all players 

BIL is a full-blown Democrat (I think) and said the last time we had no deficit was when Slick Willy was in office.  True?  The f0cked up thing is that the Dems were spenders and the Pubs were all about the tax breaks.  The lines are so blurry ... Can't we just close the checkbook - and the borders - for a decade and let the rest of the world burn itself down?