Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Trevor Lawrence isn't that good

I don't know why this isn't more talked about, but Trevor Lawrence is not a generational QB talent.  He's a mid range starter in the NFL.  The reason the jags are winning games this year is their defense is pretty good.  Lawrence is not a difference maker for them.  You could put any average starter on that team and they'd be the exact same.  He's basically Kirk Cousins without the stats.

well, he hasnt looked all that good this season.

Last year he looked like he could be breaking into that upper tier so hopes were high and then..... nothing.

inconsistent play.   some injuries.... sure I'll buy that, but a generational QB overcomes those things.  

For those that made the mistake of drafting him in the single digit rounds would agree with the OP.  

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, he hasnt looked all that good this season.

Last year he looked like he could be breaking into that upper tier so hopes were high and then..... nothing.

inconsistent play.   some injuries.... sure I'll buy that, but a generational QB overcomes those things.  

This.  There’s more of a correlation to Etienne’s big games and the Jags wins.  I certainly expected more this year from Trevor with the addition of Ridley.  I also heard an analyst on the radio talking about how vanilla Pederson has been with offensive scheme/play calling.  Bottom line, Trevor has had a few moments not consistent.  At least he’s made Engram and Zay fantasy relevant after they underperformed with their original teams.

he seemed to actually get it at the end of last year.. but that was 10+ weeks ago.. and hes a low end qb1, good backup.. at this point

5 hours ago, JagFan said:

This.  There’s more of a correlation to Etienne’s big games and the Jags wins.  I certainly expected more this year from Trevor with the addition of Ridley.  I also heard an analyst on the radio talking about how vanilla Pederson has been with offensive scheme/play calling.  Bottom line, Trevor has had a few moments not consistent.  At least he’s made Engram and Zay fantasy relevant after they underperformed with their original teams.

well, I was never sure about Ridley.  Honestly I dont think hes a true #1 WR.

and maybe that was part of the problem.  he was miscast and then when you play a guy whos not a #1 WR and use him as such, everything in your offense doesnt work quite the way you want it to.

He's half way through his 3rd season and his team is leading their division.

He took the team to an improbable playoff appearance last season and won a playoff.

His rookie season he wasn't great but they had the biggest coaching blunder in recent memory along with no training camp.

I get it, he's not putting up 1984 Dan Marino numbers this season, but the team is winning.

I don't know of many QBs that win with a bad supporting cast. That's mostly a myth.

• Like 1

56 QBR this year, same as last year. Surprising, but yeah he’s been average…

I think he is a good but he was supposed to take a leap forward this year that has not yet materialized. End of last year it looked like he was potentially headed towards greatness 

Avg 3 points less per game ff, last season he recorded 23 plus points seven times. This season zero.  

Not good for those that drafted him.  

I noticed Trevor rarely throws the ball downfield, and when he does it's rarely caught. He's had big yardage in`recent games, but it's mostly YAC. Kirk or Etienne catching 5+ yard passes and breaking tackles for big plays. That clearly didn't happen yesterday.

Air Yards per Attempt....  Trevor Lawrence has 300 attempts, and 4.2 Air/attempt. That's 21st in the league. Last year he finished with 4.0.

Like most everyone, I thought this was the "big step forward" year.  :dunno:

10 hours ago, nobody said:

Apparently Richard Sherman agrees with me.

Apparently Michael Cohen doesn’t think much of your source:

Sherman's actions were classless and, what's worse, violated one of the few basic norms that exist in sports, namely to treat your opponents with a modicum of respect.

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

He's half way through his 3rd season and his team is leading their division.

He took the team to an improbable playoff appearance last season and won a playoff.

His rookie season he wasn't great but they had the biggest coaching blunder in recent memory along with no training camp.

I get it, he's not putting up 1984 Dan Marino numbers this season, but the team is winning.

I don't know of many QBs that win with a bad supporting cast. That's mostly a myth.

hes good enough. 

But there is a difference between being a good actual QB and a good Fantasy QB.

Tim Teebow (when he was in Denver) was a great fantasy QB but not a good actual QB.

maybe Lawrence is a good actual QB who doesnt put up huge fantasy numbers....

:dunno:

tough to say for sure.   All I know is last weeks numbers were not encouraging.

When Ridley return people jumped all over Lawrence to have a big season.  

Someone on this board said Kirk would be the wr to own on the Jags, and that’s the case.  I think Lawrence is a good starting Qb in the nfl, but might not be elite.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Sounds like David Carr - few mistakes and occasionally wins when the defense and rushing game play well. But not a "go win the game for ya" type of guy.

I'm alarmed how low Trevor's air yards are.  That's where qb's make their big fantasy money. Otherwise ya have to rely on YAC, which ain't reliable.

Problem is he makes mistakes all the time.  He has more turnovers than TD passes this year.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

hes good enough. 

But there is a difference between being a good actual QB and a good Fantasy QB.

Tim Teebow (when he was in Denver) was a great fantasy QB but not a good actual QB.

:dunno:

tough to say for sure.   All I know is last weeks numbers were not encouraging.

He owns the 3rd largest comeback in NFL playoff history…down 27-0 with less than a minute to go in the 2nd Qtr.  Glad I was there freezing my a$$ off to see it.  You could argue that was his rookie season after spending a year under the second coming of Saban in the NFL.  Yes, this year has been a disappointment for Trevor based on fantasy ADP…but I don’t think you’ll hear an Etienne owner complain based on where they drafted him.  It’s a very young team leading their division midway through the season.  Too early to say if he’s a generational talent or not, but I don’t hate the results for my team thus far.

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

When Ridley return people jumped all over Lawrence to have a big season.  

Someone on this board said Kirk would be the wr to own on the Jags, and that’s the case.  I think Lawrence is a good starting Qb in the nfl, but might not be elite.  

No worries, Ridley will blow up as soon as Zay Jones retu-

"Zay Jones arrested for domestic battery"

Just kidding, it's Kirk's world.

Kirks game fits Lawrence game.  I’m just wondering what happen to Engram.  He was a gem last season, I stream him one game and I never let him go.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Kirks game fits Lawrence game.  I’m just wondering what happen to Engram.  He was a gem last season, I stream him one game and I never let him go.  

Kirk 2023 Average Depth of Target..... 8.3.  77th in the league.  

Engram still gets targets and catches, but yardage down... short-pass Lawrence. And Td's nonexistent, but those can be fluky. 

From a fantasy standpoint I thought Ettiene would be the disappointment, but he's the only one who hasn't outside of maybe Kirk.

Trevor needs me to tryout. I did 400 calf raises the other day and I am sore; but ready to help. Especially, since Zay is in trouble. I am guessing Ridley has been a bust this year.

1 hour ago, RareN64Dream said:

Trevor needs me to tryout. I did 400 calf raises the other day and I am sore; but ready to help. Especially, since Zay is in trouble. I am guessing Ridley has been a bust this year.

Tim Tebow, is that you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RareN64Dream said:

Who knew a guy that hasn’t played in a few years and voluntarily quit on the season a couple years ago couldn’t be relied upon? 🕵️‍♂️

• Haha 1

I thought Lawrence was going to work his way up to be a top 5 QB.  Watching him now not sure the talent is there to be anymore than a middle of the pack QB, that is OK but he came in as being the "next" guy.  That is not going to happen.

My wife does not know his name, she just calls him "Horseface"

I think a true wr1 would help, right now he doesn’t have one.   

Tlaw is on a shitty team with no wr's ....put him on the 49ers he's way better then purdy 

1 hour ago, gcmmidwest said:

Tlaw is on a shitty team with no wr's ....put him on the 49ers he's way better then purdy 

Way better than possibly the best QB in football right now? (Statistically, at least.)

I doubt it.

But he would be having a better year than he is, for sure