Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

Scott Mitchell is Tired of Being a Scapegoat

Last year, a documentary came out on Barry Sanders. Teammates and coaches and prominent Lions fans like Eminem and Jeff Daniels weighed in on it, lamenting that the Lions never had a QB who could take them to the top. Scott Mitchell felt dumped on and disrespected and went to the media with a lengthy piece in theatlantic right now to try to clear his name.

https://archive.is/iqL0d

Don't believe a word of it.

Scott Mitchell was steaming hot garbage and everything everyone said about him was true. We'll never know what the 90s Lions with Barry Sanders could have accomplished if they had adequate play as quarterback. It was maddening watching how many winning games turned to losses because Mitchell melted away in the pressure of the 4th quarter. 

There's no prominent player that ever wore a Lions/Red Wings/Tigers/ Pistons uniform that I cannot stand more than Scott Mitchell. Tim Chevaldae comes closest.

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

There's no prominent player that ever wore a Lions/Red Wings/Tigers/ Pistons uniform that I cannot stand more than Scott Mitchell. Tim Chevaldae comes closest.

Brandon Inge for me. That whiny focker couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat towards the end and people still loved him.

Whined when tigers acquired Miggy, never a clutch guy and people still loved him.

Scott Mitchell was my first fantasy draft pick ever, in 1996, after his one good season in 1995. The guy right after me picked Brett Favre :wall:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, patweisers44 said:

Brandon Inge for me. That whiny focker couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat towards the end and people still loved him.

Whined when tigers acquired Miggy, never a clutch guy and people still loved him.

Brandon Inge sucked so much. He acted like he was a top player in the league when at best he was a utility guy. Inge striking out to end the 2006 world series summed up his career to me.

6 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Last year, a documentary came out on Barry Sanders. Teammates and coaches and prominent Lions fans like Eminem and Jeff Daniels weighed in on it, lamenting that the Lions never had a QB who could take them to the top. Scott Mitchell felt dumped on and disrespected and went to the media with a lengthy piece in theatlantic right now to try to clear his name.

https://archive.is/iqL0d

Don't believe a word of it.

Scott Mitchell was steaming hot garbage and everything everyone said about him was true. We'll never know what the 90s Lions with Barry Sanders could have accomplished if they had adequate play as quarterback. It was maddening watching how many winning games turned to losses because Mitchell melted away in the pressure of the 4th quarter. 

I always followed the Dolphins close because Marino came from Pitt and about every Steelers fan hated that we did not pick him up.  I remember Mitchell played well when Marino went down.   thought he was a great pickup when he went to the Lions but I do not remember much about him after that.  Judging from your post I guess there was not much to remember. 

49 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I always followed the Dolphins close because Marino came from Pitt and about every Steelers fan hated that we did not pick him up.  I remember Mitchell played well when Marino went down.   thought he was a great pickup when he went to the Lions but I do not remember much about him after that.  Judging from your post I guess there was not much to remember. 

He had one maybe two really good years. But he always faded when the lights got bright.

• Like 1

Mitchell was only part of the problem.  The Lions let a lot of pro bowl caliber players they let walk on the OL and defensive side of the ball.   As long as Barry was filling up the stadium, Lions management did not care about winning.   Mitchell was at least an attempt to get a good QB.   But he was a wussie in the pocket.  

• Like 1

Barry lost a lot of yards. Putting your QB in 2nd and 3rd and long doesn’t help the passing game. 

I think it was more than Scott Mitchell. Ownership never really seemed all-in. As long as they could sell tickets and jerseys they were good

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Barry lost a lot of yards. Putting your QB in 2nd and 3rd and long doesn’t help the passing game. 

This ^ 

Barry was also not an asset in the passing game, nor used in short yardage situations. 

Gimme peak Payton/Brown/Emmit/LT2/Faulk/Campbell/Dickerson/Ricky/Holmes over Sanders if i were starting a franchise. 

5 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

He had one maybe two really good years. But he always faded when the lights got bright.

Man he should have played for the Steelers. 

2 hours ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

This ^ 

Barry was also not an asset in the passing game, nor used in short yardage situations. 

Gimme peak Payton/Brown/Emmit/LT2/Faulk/Campbell/Dickerson/Ricky/Holmes over Sanders if i were starting a franchise. 

Terrible take.  The Lions had horrendous QB during Sander's year.  Every team would stack 8 in the block and not worry about the passing game.   

Lions Leading QBs

1989. Bob Gagliano. 50% 6TD - 12 INTs

1990. Rodney Peete. 52%  13 TDs - 8 INTs.

1991. Erik Kramer 51%  11 YDs - 8 INTs

1992.  Rodney Peete.  57%.  9 TDs - 9 INTs. 

1993.  Rodney Peete.  62%  6 TDs - 14 INTs

1994.  Scott Mitchell. 48%  10 TDs  11 INTs.

1995.  Mitchell 59%  32 TDs. 12 INTs

1996. Mitchell.  58% 17 TDs - 17 INTs

1997.  Mitchell.  57%  19 TDs 14 INTs

1998.  Mitchell.  57%  19 TDs  14 INTs.

Every team which faced the Lions were 100 percent committed to stopping Barry and never worried about the passing game.  The Lions did over rely on the run, but it was because their QBs were bottom of the league every season but one and Barry was so good. 

2 hours ago, NEWPOSTERGUY! said:

This ^ 

Great post. This man knows his football. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Terrible take.  The Lions had horrendous QB during Sander's year.  Every team would stack 8 in the block and not worry about the passing game.   

Lions Leading QBs

1989. Bob Gagliano. 50% 6TD - 12 INTs

1990. Rodney Peete. 52%  13 TDs - 8 INTs.

1991. Erik Kramer 51%  11 YDs - 8 INTs

1992.  Rodney Peete.  57%.  9 TDs - 9 INTs. 

1993.  Rodney Peete.  62%  6 TDs - 14 INTs

1994.  Scott Mitchell. 48%  10 TDs  11 INTs.

1995.  Mitchell 59%  32 TDs. 12 INTs

1996. Mitchell.  58% 17 TDs - 17 INTs

1997.  Mitchell.  57%  19 TDs 14 INTs

1998.  Mitchell.  57%  19 TDs  14 INTs.

Every team which faced the Lions were 100 percent committed to stopping Barry and never worried about the passing game.  The Lions did over rely on the run, but it was because their QBs were bottom of the league every season but one and Barry was so good. 

Cool. 

Now do Payton's QBs, ancillary "weapons", etc - the Bears are THE worst qb franchise of all-time, and it ain't even close. 

yes,  towards the backend of Payton's career he did get McMahon, but let's not kid ourselves that Jimmy Mac was anything more than a ballsy leader, he had plenty of limitations as a qb ... that defense made his life easier. 

btw, i never said Sanders wasn't good, or great ... just that he is terribly overrated as a complete running back - now, if one wants to call him the most "electric" runner ever?  sure. i'll entertain that, though Sayers and O.J. and Dorsett are right there with him 

Emitt > Barry. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

Scott Mitchell was my first fantasy draft pick ever, in 1996, after his one good season in 1995. The guy right after me picked Brett Favre :wall:

Twat! :mad: 

My first fantasy pick was Jerome Bettis when he was a Ram. I think 93? 

On 3/10/2024 at 11:16 AM, IGotWorms said:

I think it was more than Scott Mitchell. Ownership never really seemed all-in. As long as they could sell tickets and jerseys they were good

:thumbsup:  Wayne Fontes and Bobby Ross 🤮 :lol:

10 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

How do you feel about Charlie Batch ? Decent Back up for Pitt and below average starter for DET in my opinion.

He was one of the lesser bad QBs the Lions had pre-Stafford. I didn't dislike him.

• Like 1