Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

New Falcons QB: Kirk Cousins

I'll bust this one out of the free agency thread. The Falcons have some nice looking pieces on offense and are out of the Arthur Smith business.

QB: Kirk Cousins
RB: Bijan Robinson
WR: Drake London
TE: Kyle Pitts

Maybe we can finally see what Kyle Pitts has to offer.  

Big boost to everyone on the Falcons. Now we will learn just how good London and Pitts could be.  Nice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

The Vikings are screwed. 

This looks to be the case at the moment.  Maybe they're going to make a big push to move up in the draft or they think "their guy" will be there.  :dunno:

How L-O-W will Jefferson's stats be in 2024??  He got A-L-L the love - but no one gave Cousins credit for being a Top-12 QB for all the time Jefferson was there.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This looks to be the case at the moment.  Maybe they're going to make a big push to move up in the draft or they think "their guy" will be there.  :dunno:

Either way they're going backwards. They were pretty much set up to win now. Who's available that makes them better now? I think they underestimated his worth, I can't imagine that this was the plan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

How L-O-W will Jefferson's stats be in 2024??  He got A-L-L the love - but no one gave Cousins credit for being a Top-12 QB for all the time Jefferson was there.

And Addison. 

13 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

How L-O-W will Jefferson's stats be in 2024?? 

He can't possibly be happy right now 😞

I think, you all are underestimating the Vikings a bit. I believe, they have they #11 pick in the draft. So, they for sure have some firepower to find a new QB. They also picked up 2 good defense players from the Texans and 1 from the Dolphins.

50 minutes ago, RareN64Dream said:

I think, you all are underestimating the Vikings a bit. I believe, they have they #11 pick in the draft. So, they for sure have some firepower to find a new QB. They also picked up 2 good defense players from the Texans and 1 from the Dolphins.

Can’t underestimate that they lost their starting Qb. Who was-a very good fit for that offense. Imo. 

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

Cousins is 36 y/o and coming off an achilles tear.

Does make it even more interesting.  

15 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Either way they're going backwards. They were pretty much set up to win now. Who's available that makes them better now? I think they underestimated his worth, I can't imagine that this was the plan. 

Possibly, but not necessarily.  A rookie could come in and put up good numbers.  The offense isn't lacking in talent and they have the #11 pick.  They can easily move up to get someone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Possibly, but not necessarily.  A rookie could come in and put up good numbers.  The offense isn't lacking in talent and they have the #11 pick.  They can easily move up to get someone.

Yup, they have no choice but to draft one now but they better move up somehow because at least 4 of them will be off the board by pick 11. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They’d have to blow somebody out of the water to get into top 3

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

Big boost to everyone on the Falcons. Now we will learn just how good London and Pitts could be.  Nice. 

I'd be higher on London that Pitts.  Only one direction to go for Pitts and that is UP but London's upside is more appetizing to me.  Taking that Kupp / JJ role in the Rams/Vikes offense.... 

40 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I'd be higher on London that Pitts.  Only one direction to go for Pitts and that is UP but London's upside is more appetizing to me.  Taking that Kupp / JJ role in the Rams/Vikes offense.... 

Agreed.  But I would like to get Pitts in double digit round. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

They’d have to blow somebody out of the water to get into top 3

Won't need to get into the top 3 if they like McCarthy or Penix.

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

agreed. London with a QB who can actually throw the ball is a very appealing option

I can't believe the over hyping of the Falcons by the media. The Falcons certainly got better, they're nowhere near a Superbowl caliber team, baby steps!

Cousins is a nice QB, not that guy, as Minnesota knows. Does anyone remember how bad he sucked when Minnesota needed a win most? 

33 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I can't believe the over hyping of the Falcons by the media. The Falcons certainly got better, they're nowhere near a Superbowl caliber team, baby steps!

Cousins is a nice QB, not that guy, as Minnesota knows. Does anyone remember how bad he sucked when Minnesota needed a win most? 

Super Bowl? No.

But playoff team, yeah probably.

I think, the Cousins signing helped Bijan Robinson the most. Cousins is good at play action passing; so teams are gonna have to respect the throw a bit more than Ridder/Heincke etc.; most likely. Tyler Allgeier is pretty good too. Cordarrelle Patterson can make some splash plays here and there too; one of the best kick returners of all time, but tougher with the newer rules. "Flash" aka Patterson is very good at catching; he played WR in college.

Falcons also got Darnell Mooney, Van Jefferson I think, and Mack Hollins are all not that bad at WR.

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Super Bowl? No.

Yeah, Falcons definitely have a 12+ win potential this year.  Their defense needs attention but that offense is in good shape.  There's a good chance that the offense also improves the defense.  I don't see them as a Super Bowl contender unless they really upgrade their defense.

I don’t know about playoffs or super bowl, I don’t really care, but he does rise the bar with those offensive players for ff 

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

I don’t know about playoffs or super bowl, I don’t really care, but he does rise the bar with those offensive players for ff 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Super Bowl? No.

true.  this is still a band aid solution.  Cousins likely only has a year or two left in the tank.

team needs a permanent solution at some point.

42 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Silly stuff. 

What are we doing here? The guy has been around before the dinosaurs, he's only played in 4 Playoff games and won only 1. Baker Mayfield says hold my beer. 

Kirk Cousins is 1-4 in the playoffs in his career.

That doesn’t matter, ff points now that’s what matters.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Silly stuff. 

I like the post.  but the difference is the amount of guaranteed money with Jackson, a running QB who likely performs well enough over 2 or 3 years but likely doesnt perform at that level for the rest of the contract.

running QB's are mostly done by 30 or 31 (often sooner) unless they can transition to become more of a pocket passer.

Cousins contract guarantees all of year 1 and 2 and if he doesnt perform, the buyout at that point shouldnt be too bad.   and I think he likely has 2 good years left.   after that it does get dicey but hes not got a lot of guaranteed money at that point.   its a completely different level of committment.   

he wont get you a superbowl, but he likely gets the WR onto the next stage of their development which wasnt gonna happen with any other QB on the roster.

6 hours ago, RareN64Dream said:

I think, the Cousins signing helped Bijan Robinson the most. Cousins is good at play action passing; so teams are gonna have to respect the throw a bit more than Ridder/Heincke etc.; most likely. Tyler Allgeier is pretty good too. Cordarrelle Patterson can make some splash plays here and there too; one of the best kick returners of all time, but tougher with the newer rules. "Flash" aka Patterson is very good at catching; he played WR in college.

Falcons also got Darnell Mooney, Van Jefferson I think, and Mack Hollins are all not that bad at WR.

Patterson also played WR in the pros

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

The thing that helps Atlanta’s chances of winning the division more than any of these moves is Tampa sticking with Baker.  

50 minutes ago, JagFan said:

The thing that helps Atlanta’s chances of winning the division more than any of these moves is Tampa sticking with Baker.  

I don’t care, I’m just interested in ff value at this time, but thanks for your opinions on many football related issues.  

I heard Atlanta brought Kirk because Falcons fans like kissin' Cousins.

• Haha 1