Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

New kick off changes.

Just now, seafoam1 said:

No onside kicks.

Seriously?

Onsides kicks have been made increasingly more difficult to convert, but giving a team even a 1% chance at the end of a game is better than just having to give up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Seriously?

Onsides kicks have been made increasingly more difficult to convert, but giving a team even a 1% chance at the end of a game is better than just having to give up. 

The rules have changed and are pretty lame, but they still exist.

The legislation also will lead to a tweak in onside kicks, which can only occur in the fourth quarter and onward when a team trails. The kicking team must declare its intent to onside kick. The new rule is in place only for 2024 and is subject to renewal in 2025

Just get rid of it......

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

The rules have changed and are pretty lame, but they still exist.

The legislation also will lead to a tweak in onside kicks, which can only occur in the fourth quarter and onward when a team trails. The kicking team must declare its intent to onside kick. The new rule is in place only for 2024 and is subject to renewal in 2025

So no more catching the opposing team sleeping on a sneak onsides kick? 

This rule change must've been sponsored by the Union of Special Teams Coaches who don't want to get fired for looking like fools. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonS said:

This rule change must've been sponsored by the Union of Special Teams Coaches who don't want to get fired for looking like fools. 

It's in conjunction with the other kickoff rule---you couldn't have an onside kick from this formation.

The modification calls for all players on the kicking team to line up at the receiving team’s 40-yard line while the receiving team lines nine players up on its own 35. Two men will line up downfield as returners. The kicker will still kick off from his own 35. The kickoff team defenders wouldn’t be permitted to move until the ball lands on the ground in the “landing zone” — inside the receiving team’s 20-yard line. If the ball lands short of the landing zone, the ball would be moved to the receiving team’s 40-yard line just as if a kickoff sails out of bounds. Touchbacks would call for the ball to be moved to the receiving team’s 30.

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's in conjunction with the other kickoff rule---you couldn't have an onside kick from this formation.

The modification calls for all players on the kicking team to line up at the receiving team’s 40-yard line while the receiving team lines nine players up on its own 35. Two men will line up downfield as returners. The kicker will still kick off from his own 35. The kickoff team defenders wouldn’t be permitted to move until the ball lands on the ground in the “landing zone” — inside the receiving team’s 20-yard line. If the ball lands short of the landing zone, the ball would be moved to the receiving team’s 40-yard line just as if a kickoff sails out of bounds. Touchbacks would call for the ball to be moved to the receiving team’s 30.

JFC.

Thanks for quoting these new rules. 👎

The kick-return TD is hands-down the most exciting play in ALL sports due to the improbability, extreme level of difficulty and rarity.

If these are going to be the rules, then just skip the kickoff and start possessions at the 10.

Just ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, DonS said:

Nope. It's stupid. Anyone remember the music city miracle? Yes they do. 

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Nope. It's stupid. Anyone remember the music city miracle? Yes they do. 

SHUT YOUR FILTHY WH0RE MOUF!!!!! 

7 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

It's for player safety.  I'm okay with it.

It's in the name of player safety. But they are basically forcing more returns in the name of excitement and entertainment. 

There will be the same amount of injuries. These guys play for an average of five years and do ok for themselves in the mean time. A lady down the street from me got two hip replacements in the past 5 years and never played sports. I don't feel bad for her. But she is a nice person. :dunno:

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

Just get rid of it......

Get rid of all kickers and go 4 downs. Like Madden

I actually like it.  I didn't think I would but after the XFL did it, I was hoping the NFL would do it.  It should make for more returned kicks, fewer touch backs and fewer injuries.

If this new rule is in place to bring back one of the worst changes the nfl ever did, which was eliminate one of the most exciting plays in the nfl,  if you want to bring it back, let’s go back to how it was before you ruined it.  

I poked one right through your mom's goalposts last night.

10 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

It's in the name of player safety. But they are basically forcing more returns in the name of excitement and entertainment. 

There will be the same amount of injuries. These guys play for an average of five years and do ok for themselves in the mean time. A lady down the street from me got two hip replacements in the past 5 years and never played sports. I don't feel bad for her. But she is a nice person. :dunno:

She sounds like a kunt? Can size!

11 hours ago, edjr said:

Get rid of all kickers and go 4 downs. Like Madden

Dan Campbell? Is that you?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

If this new rule is in place to bring back one of the worst changes the nfl ever did, which was eliminate one of the most exciting plays in the nfl,  if you want to bring it back, let’s go back to how it was before you ruined it.  

This. 

If I had a vote, I'd be Dr. No. "No" on everything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. All these rule changes suck and suck and suck some more. Then if the sucky new rule sucks, add a sucky new twist to it.

I'm not down with the XFL method, but it actually is better than last year although nowhere near as good as every other season until five minutes ago.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:12 AM, DonS said:

Seriously?

So I guess than can do on sides kicks, but it has to be only in the 4th quarter when a team is within one score, and they have to declare they are doing the onside kick. No surprise onside kicks. 

I think I heard that right.