Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

Nuclear fusion breakthrough

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/climate/nuclear-fusion-record-korea-climate-intl/index.html

Biggest story on the planet. 100 years from now, historians looking back will talk about this topic as they do Gutenberg’s printing press or the start of the Industrial Revolution. This energy will change all of our lives in profound ways we can’t even imagine at this moment. Virtually every problem we face now will be eliminated. 

• Haha 2

I wonder how many DEI hires are working on The Korea Superconducting Tokamak Advanced Research device

• Haha 1

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

I wonder how many DEI hires are working on The Korea Superconducting Tokamak Advanced Research device

Diversity is our strength.  :rolleyes:

Everybody knows that technology advances because of skin color, gender and lots of checkboxes!

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Awesome. I’d only we had not wasted trillions on climate nonsense and focused on this the last 50 years 

Why would we do that?  We have reparations to pay out and could've used that money towards that.

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That's fantastic.  

It boggles the mind. Unlimited free energy. Clean. No climate change; no nuclear waste. No dependence on oil. Enough for everyone around the world. An end to human poverty. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

It boggles the mind. Unlimited free energy. Clean. No climate change; no nuclear waste. No dependence on oil. Enough for everyone around the world. An end to human poverty. 

Human poverty will never end.  There's always going to be people who can't handle their money or have an addiction and blow it out their ass.  

I’m gonna ignore the DEI comments; you guys are wrong about that and I think it borders on racism- but you know what? We conquer nuclear fusion and that won’t matter either. Racial disparities will become much less of an issue than it is now. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tim's not wrong on this. It'll be a big win for humanity if it ever is developed, so nice to see it keep getting incrementally closer and closer. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

I’m gonna ignore the DEI comments; you guys are wrong about that and I think it borders on racism- but you know what? We conquer nuclear fusion and that won’t matter either. Racial disparities will become much less of an issue than it is now. 

They are already less of an issue unless you're a race-grifter.

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Tim's not wrong on this. It'll be a big win for humanity if it ever is developed, so nice to see it keep getting incrementally closer and closer. 

True, it would be a great development.  I read stuff like this though:

Nuclear fusion “is not ready yet and therefore it can’t help us with the climate crisis now,” said Aneeqa Khan, research fellow in nuclear fusion at the University of Manchester in the UK.

However, she added, if progress continues, fusion “has the potential to be part of a green energy mix in the latter half of the century.”

and think hmm, with the climate "crisis" as motivation, we ker-chunk along at a snail's pace, adding a few seconds each year to the sustained plasma.  

But 80 years ago, before computers, when we thought the Germans or Japanese might do it first and destroy us, we went from nothing to two functioning nuclear bomb technologies in less than two years.

It's all about the motivation... or lack thereof.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

and think hmm, with the climate "crisis" as motivation, we ker-chunk along at a snail's pace, adding a few seconds each year to the sustained plasma.  

But 80 years ago, before computers, when we thought the Germans or Japanese might do it first and destroy us, we went from nothing to two functioning nuclear bomb technologies in less than two years.

Yep - there's money to be made for the climate hysterics and climate grifters.  If we solve that, how are they going to make their money?

10 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Human poverty will never end.  There's always going to be people who can't handle their money or have an addiction and blow it out their ass.  

The vast majority of human poverty has nothing to do with the individual choices of those who find themselves in poverty. This will resolve that issue. There will still be poor people sure. But absolute destitution and starvation will become extremely rare, a thing of the past. 

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yep - there's money to be made for the climate hysterics and climate grifters.  If we solve that, how are they going to make their money?

At least we won't be arguing about it all anymore.

Cheaper, cleaner, more reliable... win, win, win... everyone is on board for that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I’m open to green energy but we haven’t found a way to make it work economically yet. We may never. But if we solve this it becomes a non issue. 

9 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

At least we won't be arguing about it all anymore.

Cheaper, cleaner, more reliable... win, win, win... everyone is on board for that.

no way to monetize it, not everyone will be on board

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

And it's all about milking as much $$ out of the "climate crisis" that we can. If it were TRULY a crisis (say...like a pandemic or something) where we needed to get things shut down/moving in a certain direction, the motivation is there...but why go faster when you can get a few trillion more out of the people and companies? Meh. We will get there when we get there, by the way, here's a paper straw for you, buy an electric car and we will worry about the power grid later. 

• Sad 1

Ahhh ...the nuclear fusion breakthrough of the month. :D

Nuclear fusion...the clean energy source that's been "25 years away" for the last 75 years.

I'd love to see it, but it ain't happening in our lifetimes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Ahhh ...the nuclear fusion breakthrough of the month. :D

Nuclear fusion...the clean energy source that's been "25 years away" for the last 75 years.

I'd love to see it, but it ain't happening in our lifetimes 

Boyo, do you realize just how far technology has advanced in the last 25 years?  We've made more advancement in the last 25 than the entirety of time before it.

Science has the tools needed to model, test, and perfect this kind of thing.

I don't  know how old you are but if you live another 30 year you will be amazed at how much further we advance. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

And it's all about milking as much $$ out of the "climate crisis" that we can. If it were TRULY a crisis (say...like a pandemic or something) where we needed to get things shut down/moving in a certain direction, the motivation is there...but why go faster when you can get a few trillion more out of the people and companies? Meh. We will get there when we get there, by the way, here's a paper straw for you, buy an electric car and we will worry about the power grid later. 

Exactly who is making money off of the "fake crisis" as you so elegantly put forth?

And exactly how are "they" making money?

You climate change deniers are part of the reason why we don't make more progress.

Oh girlio, you know who does makes tons of money by ignoring climate change?  Oil and gas companies.  They certainly need a few more bucks, yes?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Boyo, do you realize just how far technology has advanced in the last 25 years?  We've made more advancement in the last 25 than the entirety of time before it.

I don't  know how old you are but if you live another 30 year you will be amazed at how much further we advance. 

He's an engineer, as am I.

Thanks for the technology lesson though.  What is it you do again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

I'll be 60 at the end of the month, so you can drop the "boyo" schtick with me, Slappy. I've also been a mechanical engineer for 37+ years and I've worked with my share of physicists over the years. I love their optimism, but like I said, not in our lifetimes...

• Like 2

Just now, jerryskids said:

He's an engineer, as am I.

Thanks for the technology lesson though.  What is it you do again?

I'm in finance for a company that utilizes major technology advancements boyo.

Are you denying we've made more technological advancements in the last 25 years than all the years proceeding it?

And you're retired so likely not very familiar with the latest and greatest.

Reality check from the article…

Nuclear fusion “is not ready yet and therefore it can’t help us with the climate crisis now,” said Aneeqa Khan, research fellow in nuclear fusion at the University of Manchester in the UK.

However, she added, if progress continues, fusion “has the potential to be part of a green energy mix in the latter half of the century.”

So the best case scenario is that by the end of the century it “has the potential” to be “part of” our overall energy sourcing.

2 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I'll be 60 at the end of the month, so you can drop the "boyo" schtick with me, Slappy. I've also been a mechanical engineer for 37+ years and I've worked with my share of physicists over the years. I love their optimism, but like I said, not in our lifetimes...

Happy early birfday, old geezer!  :cheers: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

An end to human poverty

This will kill it. The powers that be won’t allow this to happen 

Just now, Thornton Melon said:

Boyo is an expression of affection, age has nothing to do with it.

And after witnessing all the wonders of the last 25 years you doubt what's possible in the next 25?

I'm not talking about light speed or transporters, but known physics like this?  Maybe not in 25 years but definitely 50.  50 years ago we were nothing like we are now. 

And boyos, there is someone alive today who will live to 150.  That's how fast technology is advancing.

“Hey everyone - FREE lunches!  It won’t cost you a thing!  Or anyone else for that matter!”

26 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

This is a cool rabbit hole to go down. Lots of questions 

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

This is a cool rabbit hole to go down. Lots of questions 

Just give it a thought.

There's a cool description in Three Body Problems that outlines just how quickly technology has advanced in the last 25 years.

And think, from the years 1925 - 1975 we did create nuclear fission and we did put a man on the moon and TV was developed.  But outside that, life changed very little.  Now think how vastly life is different between 1975 and now.  The sheer amount of information available to us.  Our ability to perform complex calculations at almost the speed of light gives us the ability to model, correct, re-model and then test.

Truly incredible. 

4 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

I'm in finance for a company that utilizes major technology advancements boyo.

Are you denying we've made more technological advancements in the last 25 years than all the years proceeding it?

And you're retired so likely not very familiar with the latest and greatest.

So you are a bean counter, gotcha.  Uses technology?  If at least you said you create technology, your credentials might have non-zero value in this discussion.

Let's see, off the top of my head, prior to 25 years, we had... vaccines, antibiotics, pasteurization, printing press, planes trains and automobiles, Newton's laws, Maxwell's equations (define electromagnetism), special and general relativity, transistors, computers, nuclear fission, quantum theory, cell phones.

In the past 25 years we've had... another iPhone, this one titanium!, and 46 different genders and growing.

I'm good with my position.  :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

2 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Now think how vastly life is different between 1975 and now. 

F

😂😂😂

I think if you looked at any 25 year span post industrial revolution you could say that any of those 25 years saw the biggest leap in technological advancements. Boyo with the irrelevant observation once again 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

So you are a bean counter, gotcha.  Uses technology?  If at least you said you create technology, your credentials might have non-zero value in this discussion.

Let's see, off the top of my head, prior to 25 years, we had... vaccines, antibiotics, pasteurization, printing press, planes trains and automobiles, Newton's laws, Maxwell's equations (define electromagnetism), special and general relativity, transistors, computers, nuclear fission, quantum theory, cell phones.

In the past 25 years we've had... another iPhone, this one titanium!, and 46 different genders and growing.

I'm good with my position.  :thumbsup: 

You can have your opinion boyo.  You're wrong of course but you do you.

Do you have any clue how our advanced technology for something like immunotherapies has unlocked the body's ability to fight disease?  I'm sure you do, you use them.

Some cancers that were death sentences for all years prior can now be managed therapeutically.  With many many more in the pipeline.  

Pardon me if I give that TONS more weight than a freaking printing press or car. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jose M said:

F

😂😂😂

Oh look, Horegirl created yet another alt.  And she still has crappy reading comprehension. 

LMFAO

BeachGhey trying to tell Mechanical Engineers how science works.  :lol:

I mean, the only skill that dude has is servicing glory holes.   The comedy is off the charts with this back and forth.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Just give it a thought.

There's a cool description in Three Body Problems that outlines just how quickly technology has advanced in the last 25 years.

And think, from the years 1925 - 1975 we did create nuclear fission and we did put a man on the moon and TV was developed.  But outside that, life changed very little.  Now think how vastly life is different between 1975 and now.  The sheer amount of information available to us.  Our ability to perform complex calculations at almost the speed of light gives us the ability to model, correct, re-model and then test.

Truly incredible. 

A little off topic but my mind is always blown away when I hear Cleopatra lived closer to the iPhone launch than the building of the great pyramid 

Look at life in 1984 , kind of similar to today despite a 40 years of advancements. But 1944 to 84 is extremely different 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/climate/nuclear-fusion-record-korea-climate-intl/index.html

Biggest story on the planet. 100 years from now, historians looking back will talk about this topic as they do Gutenberg’s printing press or the start of the Industrial Revolution. This energy will change all of our lives in profound ways we can’t even imagine at this moment. Virtually every problem we face now will be eliminated. 

But the USA is putting their money on thousand-year-old technology, such as wind and solar energy.