Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Have a son turning 16. Car talk inside

Honda Civic. Good car, good gas mileage, cheap, and lasts a while. Or a Toyota Camry.

Why do you add your kid to your auto insurance policy?

Never understood why people want to pay the insurance crooks more money.

Any licensed driver is covered to drive my cars. They dont need to know who and when.

I have made claims against them so dont claim they wont cover it when the kid plows into stuff.

Sure you did. :rolleyes:

And 4 wheel drive.

Are you looking for a vehicle with 4wd for your son? He shouldnt need that at all especially for his first car. If you want, buy him an older truck for that

• Like 1

Are you looking for a vehicle with 4wd for your son? He shouldnt need that at all especially for his first car. If you want, buy him an older truck for that

not positive, but he might have nasty winters= 4wd or 4x4

joking aside...maybe a subaru is the answer

not positive, but he might have nasty winters= 4wd or 4x4

joking aside...maybe a subaru is the answer

We have nasty winters. I need to get to work. My 16 year can stay home. 4wd gives some people a false sense of security

We have nasty winters. I need to get to work. My 16 year can stay home. 4wd gives some people a false sense of security

Not when we have a 1/4 mile lane and live in a hollow with little sun. Winter's require 4 wheel drive or AWD with good ground clearance.

The thing about it is you want to get em some old beater POS so if they wreck it no big deal and also it doesnt cost much.

But the safety features these days are just so much greater. And Im not talking about just side airbags and such although thats important. Collision avoidance, lane detection, etc. Its getting so advanced that youre damn near negligent if you dont have it.

So just think about all that. Yeah yeah sissy words and so forth but youd do anything to protect em, so think about it.

Not when we have a 1/4 mile lane and live in a hollow with little sun. Winter's require 4 wheel drive or AWD with good ground clearance.

Get him a banjo then.

• Like 2

Subaru. If he's ghey.

Let me guess, MDC disclosed years ago that he drives a Subaru?

Focking creeper closet kweer :lol:

Bought my daughter a Subaru 4 years ago when she started driving. Was an 01 with 50k miles on it. Tempted to say f daughter and take it back. Thing is a tank and very dependable.

Bought my daughter a Subaru 4 years ago when she started driving. Was an 01 with 50k miles on it. Tempted to say f daughter and take it back. Thing is a tank and very dependable.

Youre a glutton for punishment :(

Excuse me for missing the apostrophe and the e in previous post. Was too quick to point out idiocracy.

And if this shitbag truest thinks id F my daughter to take back a car, We should go fishing, Ill show him what bait is

And if this shitbag truest thinks id F my daughter to take back a car, We should go fishing, Ill show him what bait is

I'll be on big lake this weekend. I can always use some extra bait.

• Like 1

The thing about it is you want to get em some old beater POS so if they wreck it no big deal and also it doesnt cost much.

But the safety features these days are just so much greater. And Im not talking about just side airbags and such although thats important. Collision avoidance, lane detection, etc. Its getting so advanced that youre damn near negligent if you dont have it.

So just think about all that. Yeah yeah sissy words and so forth but youd do anything to protect em, so think about it.

Come on man, all of that crap is excessive and a waste of money. We just bought my wife a new honda pilot and it does not have any of that.

• Like 1

Exactly. That 4wd aint helping you stop.

Aint helping you stop but will help you not slide in the first place. Though AWD is suitable for that as well and stability/traction control can be a lifesaver

If you are picking out f my daughter to take back her car, well, ok. Weak, but stupid. Hence my name

I'll be on big lake this weekend. I can always use some extra bait.

Happy to contribute brother

If you are picking out f my daughter to take back her car, well, ok. Weak, but stupid. Hence my name

Eff your daughter without even taking back the car :wub:

Let me guess, MDC disclosed years ago that he drives a Subaru?

Focking creeper closet kweer :lol:

Obsessed. What a loser.

it can. i had very harsh 7 month winters in the mountains. saw many 4x4 and awd on the side of the road as i cruised by in my low rwd car with great snow tires. the 4x4/awd can be very helpful in preventing slides.... but so will gaining experience drivng in adverse conditions. AD should go out driving with mini-AD in whatever vehicle they get in poor conditions to give him an idea how how it reacts.

Aint helping you stop but will help you not slide in the first place. Though AWD is suitable for that as well and stability/traction control can be a lifesaver

Snow tires are more important than 4wd. Ive had FWD cars with snow tires that reliably get through anything winter can throw at it.

I could get my wrangler to spin like a top in snow/ice parking lots while in 2wd. Short wheelbase FTW

A few years ago we went with a 2010 Nissan Sentra for my daughter, front wheel drive, great in winter. We don't get a ton of snow but, it handles just fine when we do. Great on gas mileage and very reliable.

My son will be eligible for his license next April, we'll be looking for something similar over the next year.

• Like 1

If I asked my father to buy me a car when I was a teenager he would have laughed. And laughed some more.

• Like 2

If I asked my father to buy me a car when I was a teenager he would have laughed. And laughed some more.

I get this point and can sympathize. My pops wasn't around but, I get it. My mom dropped $500 on a 1984 Chrysler Cordoba, she complained about the money like it was 50k. It had every option.. None of them worked...

Thing is, times are different and my wife and I do pretty well. Our kids make great grades, both athletes and involved. Haven't been a lot of opportunities for them to make money with their busy schedules, I am glad we can provide things like reliable vehicles for them.

• Like 2

I have a 08 Silverado never had a problem. I also have a 94 suburban I use for fishing/camping. Still chugging along with 370K miles. I would have no problem taking the burban on an extended road trip.

Chevy makes a good truck that's built to last.

• Like 2

What about a mid 2000's Cherokee. Parts are easy to come, very reliable.... not so good on the MPG but it checks your other boxes off.

What about a mid 2000's Cherokee. Parts are easy to come, very reliable.... not so good on the MPG but it checks your other boxes off.

It's a possibility. I can't stand them but ya never know.

Late to the party. But if he's a pickup kid. Toyota Tacomas the way to go. 4 wheel drive, reliable, looks good as is (plus easily modifiable.) Just do the regular oil changes (with proper maintenance also), and he can run that thing right into the ground.

• Like 1