Sign in to follow this  
RaiderHaters Revenge

Please help me settle a debate: RE: Keeper league

now let me start off by saying there is absolutely no rule in place to begin with

we have 2 keepers, (kept in round you drafted them)

I have Leveon (2), Gordon (6), and I acquired Mike Evans (2) during the season last year

I have someone who wants to trade for one of my keepers right now and give me a pick to acquire Evans.

Now the commish and his buddy, are saying that this is against the rules, because I would have more picks

have anyone ever heard of a "Keeper League" where this is the deal? I have been in Fantasy leagues for over 30 years, and never heard of this ever

basically, a couple other guys are saying its cause they don't want my team to get extra pick

you have the rights to two players and all your draft picks. if you want to do the trade just have him draft the player you wan and trade Evans right after the draft.A valid trade can be agreed to during the draft and executed right after

If i was commish i would have a rule to prevent trading keepers for future picks.

I am fine if it is a dynasty or deep keeper with more than 8 players per team per season, but a shallow keeper should not have trading of future picks.

Rule changes should be in place before the draft starts. A good commish would put it to a vote otherwise he could have his strategy and discount others by making changes on the fly.

In my keeper we do not trade assets for picks. There is no written rule stating we can't, but it's just not how our league does it. I would have it put to a vote whether to allow it or not. I do tend to agree that this shouldn't be in shallow keeper leagues.

It can be seen as, the season is over and the trade deadline has passed without the new trade period starting. The only control you have is to declare keepers.

Now if you wanted to trade one of your two declared keepers, that's different imo

You only "own" the players you designate keepers. Then you own draft picks. You don't own your entire roster

exactly this. Were you trying to trade Evans and still keep the other 2? Because that would pretty odd if allowed.

As far as trading for draft picks, if its not put to a vote, then you are going to have to determine if you want to be in a league where the rules are not clearly defined and one person gets to decide on the fly when things like this come up. Since its a keeper league, I imagine you are planning on being in it for a while.

• Like 1

now let me start off by saying there is absolutely no rule in place to begin with

I have Leveon (2), Gordon (6), and I acquired Mike Evans (2) during the season last year

I have someone who wants to trade for one of my keepers right now and give me a pick to acquire Evans.

Now the commish and his buddy, are saying that this is against the rules, because I would have more picks

have anyone ever heard of a "Keeper League" where this is the deal? I have been in Fantasy leagues for over 30 years, and never heard of this ever

basically, a couple other guys are saying its cause they don't want my team to get extra pick

If their complaint is simply that you will have more picks, include a late pick with Evans in your trade. You will then have the requisite number of picks.

On the other hand, if the league has no history of trading future draft picks, you have sort of have a de facto rule in place and I would agree with a prior post that you don't "own" anything beyond your two keepers.

Another rule you might need to address is the possibility of having two keepers acquired in the same round. What if you want ot keep Bell and Evans? I would suggest losing one round lower - in this case, your 2nd and 3rd picks.

• Like 2

You only "own" the players you designate keepers. Then you own draft picks. You don't own your entire roster

Not really. You do own your entire roster until the keepers are declared. The OP's wording leads me to believe that they haven't locked their keepers in yet.

If their complaint is simply that you will have more picks, include a late pick with Evans in your trade. You will then have the requisite number of picks.

This

On the other hand, if the league has no history of trading future draft picks, you have sort of have a de facto rule in place and I would agree with a prior post that you don't "own" anything beyond your two keepers.

Agreed. There may be no rule against it, but for keeper leagues, it's one of those "spirit of the rules" things.

Not really. You do own your entire roster until the keepers are declared. The OP's wording leads me to believe that they haven't locked their keepers in yet.

yes sorry to not be more clear, we havent locked keepers, I have always played in leagues, where you have complete control til deadline, so for example someone could offer me David Johnson still for Leveon and Evans

as far as draft picks, they were traded during season and is allowed, and now they are saying its not (for example I traded Howard, Diggs, and a 9th for Evans and a 7th last year around week 6

Just curious what are you getting for the keeper and what are you getting for Evans?

yes sorry to not be more clear, we havent locked keepers, I have always played in leagues, where you have complete control til deadline, so for example someone could offer me David Johnson still for Leveon and Evans

as far as draft picks, they were traded during season and is allowed, and now they are saying its not (for example I traded Howard, Diggs, and a 9th for Evans and a 7th last year around week 6

If that's the case and rosters are open, then like Tampa said, just even up the picks.

We do this in our 3 keeper league. Guys swap picks for keepers all the time, or trade straight up, or add picks to a guy to move up in quality of keeper. We just even it up with last round pick going back.

I like it because it's a way to cash in your extra keeper players for currency... and it's beneficial to other teams who maybe don't have great keeper options.

• Like 1

If that's the case and rosters are open, then like Tampa said, just even up the picks.

We do this in our 3 keeper league. Guys swap picks for keepers all the time, or trade straight up, or add picks to a guy to move up in quality of keeper. We just even it up with last round pick going back.

I like it because it's a way to cash in your extra keeper players for currency... and it's beneficial to other teams who maybe don't have great keeper options.

This! Instead of saying Player was traded for a 3rd round pick, it is player & team's last pick was traded for 3rd.

oh guy offered me a 6th rounder for the rights to Evans as a 2nd

So you are just get his 6th round pick for Evans? If so I think I would want more.

So you are just get his 6th round pick for Evans? If so I think I would want more.

yes, I would take anything I get nothing if I dont move him. I prefer 6th's anyways, I like to load up on those potentials, last year Gordon, this year maybe Abdullah, Gilislee, or something

yes, I would take anything I get nothing if I dont move him. I prefer 6th's anyways, I like to load up on those potentials, last year Gordon, this year maybe Abdullah, Gilislee, or something

But doesn't this then get to be a totally unstable league? I mean, everyone trading good talent for sub par return? In this case, I'm going out to the whole league and offering up Evans for best offer. I think there should be a trade deadline and that's that. But if I understand this correctly, if I were in your league I would offer you a 3rd rounder (if not 2nd) for one of those keepers.

But doesn't this then get to be a totally unstable league? I mean, everyone trading good talent for sub par return? In this case, I'm going out to the whole league and offering up Evans for best offer. I think there should be a trade deadline and that's that. But if I understand this correctly, if I were in your league I would offer you a 3rd rounder (if not 2nd) for one of those keepers.

I offered it to the entire league, but the way our league is, not only would he be giving up his 6, but also losing his 2nd

so to the guy acquired its costing him a 6 and a 2, whereas he could keep someone like Greg Olsen (4th) and still have his 6 and 2

I offered it to the entire league, but the way our league is, not only would he be giving up his 6, but also losing his 2nd

so to the guy acquired its costing him a 6 and a 2, whereas he could keep someone like Greg Olsen (4th) and still have his 6 and 2

ooooohhhhh..... So just to be difficult, what if he traded you a 2 for bell since you picked him in the 2nd? Sorry, just curious...

ooooohhhhh..... So just to be difficult, what if he traded you a 2 for bell since you picked him in the 2nd? Sorry, just curious...

he wouldnt be able to do that, cause he would have to have a 2 avail to keep Bell

Title of this is settle a debate, take it to the entire league for discussion on how things are going to be handled from this point forward. This will settle all debates later espicially since its a keeper league where new people do not join from time to time. Taking matters to the commish wont serve you well because they usually have there own way of how its going to be handled and get a bit of power hungry in them. But you will have numbers if you etch things in stone from here on out.

i'm in a league with 5 keepers each year and we own the entire roster so this trade would be allowed. This kind of makes sense to me but if this has never come up for discussion before can't see how one side could be favored over the other - so as post above me said, got to bring this to league to settle the rule going forward.

Still seems kind of cheep for a player that some consider a first round talent.

I like this response. Took me awhile to comprehend the complexities of this situation. Seems like what you are proposing should be OK. Just have to make sure that each team has the same amount of draft picks come time of the draft.