Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Tell me how you feel about this: America is no longer NUMBER ONE!

Alot of us said this during the Bush/cheney regime. This is the most comprehensive answer. How do you feel about it? We're not number one, but we watched millions drive over Dixie Chick CD's and throw up their single finger saying "we're number one", like we're a focking hockey team.

So, do me the honor of viewing this video. Review any facts you want and then come back. But if all you bring Flawed Hack and Blow Brow, then, I guess this thread is a failure.

Unlistenable. Didn't make it :30.

One of the reasons we're lagging behind as a country is that the level of our discourse on issues of importance has sunk to this level.

When I was a young man I had a lot of American pride. Now I'm in my 40's and I have no American pride whatsoever. I despise a lot of things about the country and the government. I only want the US to do well for the benefit of myself, my kid and potential grandkids. That's about as far as I can care. After that, they can all go to hell. And probably will.

The 1st two posters after whiffle point out one problem. Lack of attention span. The whole point of the clip took place in the last couple of minutes.

I agree with some of his points. I hate the chest thumping crowd who declare America is the greatest. When this country was at its peak that statement never needed to be uttered. I still think overall this country is the greatest but I don't like the direction the country has gone. I especially don't like direction some right wingers are trying to take it. People have taken the word individualism and changed its meaning to selfishness. Only caring for their own agenda and themselves. I also agree that there is much more fear in this country. We shouldn't be taking our shoes off to get on airplanes. We shouldn't be talking about having armed guards at all our schools to protect our children. We shouldn't be living in fear of something that has almost a zero percent chance of happening to you. You cannot protect all American children from everything. Stop trying to do it. You just teach them fear.

Lol, you have to be kidding. This country was created to escape excessive government. The constitution was created to protect us from falling into the trap. Freedom isn't selfish

I had no idea it was selfish to not want the govt involved in every facet of your life. Gotta love how liberal know-it-alls sit in judgement of folks who think they can make it without Uncle Sam holding their hand 24/7.

The 1st two posters after whiffle point out one problem. Lack of attention span. The whole point of the clip took place in the last couple of minutes.

I agree with some of his points. I hate the chest thumping crowd who declare America is the greatest. When this country was at its peak that statement never needed to be uttered. I still think overall this country is the greatest but I don't like the direction the country has gone. I especially don't like direction some right wingers are trying to take it. People have taken the word individualism and changed its meaning to selfishness. Only caring for their own agenda and themselves. I also agree that there is much more fear in this country. We shouldn't be taking our shoes off to get on airplanes. We shouldn't be talking about having armed guards at all our schools to protect our children. We shouldn't be living in fear of something that has almost a zero percent chance of happening to you. You cannot protect all American children from everything. Stop trying to do it. You just teach them fear.

Could you summarize this in one sentence? TIA.

When I was a young man I had a lot of American pride. Now I'm in my 40's and I have no American pride whatsoever. I despise a lot of things about the country and the government. I only want the US to do well for the benefit of myself, my kid and potential grandkids. That's about as far as I can care. After that, they can all go to hell. And probably will.

Sadly I feel the same. :(

Freedom isn't selfish

Never said freedom was selfish, I have always been for things like freedom to protest, freedom to marry whoever you want, more free immigration policies.

The type of thing I don't like is when a poor kid is denied educational opportunities while we grossly outspend the world on military.

Freedom has been reduced to a catchphrase. Each side of the political landscape talks about protecting various rights, while at the same time fighting against whatever rights they don't care for.

Never said freedom was selfish, I have always been for things like freedom to protest, freedom to marry whoever you want, more free immigration policies.

The type of thing I don't like is when a poor kid is denied educational opportunities while we grossly outspend the world on military.

We grossly out spend them on education too. Do you have examples of poor kids being denied education? I grew up a lot poorer than most of the poor today and I was given a free education ( K-12) by the government, have things changed?

We grossly out spend them on education too. Do you have examples of poor kids being denied education? I grew up a lot poorer than most of the poor today and I was given a free education by the government, have things changed?

So you've just been sucking that sugar tit from cradle to your rapidly approaching grave huh?

• Like 1

There's no issue with my attention span. I just have no interest in hearing people shout down and talk over each other. Maybe they're obnoxious bores with a point. That doesn't change the fact that I have no interest in listening to obnoxious bores take 6 minutes to get to their 2 minutes of reasonable discussion (if in fact that's what takes place).

There's no issue with my attention span. I just have no interest in hearing people shout down and talk over each other. Maybe they're ignorant bores with a point. That doesn't change the fact that I have no time for ignorant bores.

well I agree with you, in this case it ends up being a single person soliloquy

thanks wiff - pretty familiar with that clip and it had the dramatic, "wow" effect it was designed to when I first saw it.

He makes some good points, but in the end, I think it comes down to this:

After Kennedy, the office of the President became a mockery.... even the "best" since then, Reagan and Clinton, had their scandals.... and because our President will always be ripped apart by the partisanship, we are rudderless and divided.

Half the population is constantly unhappy with our government and cheering its "failures" until "their guy" gets in. Whether its a company, a team, or a nation - leadership is key, it all starts at the top, and in America today, we rip our leadership apart.

Meh. Can't expect to stay at the top forever. Still a great place to live IMO.

Nice Run USA...... nice run.....

We are number one in many areas. Money spent on military, money spent on education, number one in national debt, etc.

We are number one in many areas. Money spent on military, money spent on education, number one in national debt, etc.

Number of people over 100 years old.

Meh. Can't expect to stay at the top forever. Still a great place to live IMO.

Ah, the fat, lazy, content American attitude that is responsible for our decline.

It is the result of decades of spending trillions of dollars on the bottom of American society at the expense of the rest of society. Did anyone expect a different outcome?

It is the result of decades of spending trillions of dollars on the bottom of American society at the expense of the rest of society. Did anyone expect a different outcome?

Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

Alexis de Tocqueville

Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

Alexis de Tocqueville

That must be why we're so equal now. :thumbsup:

Alexis de Tocqueville

Either you forgot to logout and login as one of your aliai, or you have reverted to quoting your own posts. You are fast becoming GFIAFP worthy!

I got ya #1 right 'ere! :angry:

Either you forgot to logout and login as one of your aliai, or you have reverted to quoting your own posts. You are fast becoming GFIAFP worthy!

Senile old bastard probably just didn't realize he was quoting his own post :(