Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Calling it now, Montee Ball a bust.

My take is that both Denver and KCs backfield stats come back to earth some next year.

Surely the RB on a Peyton team is an asset but I don't expect Ball to produce Moreno like stats right out of the gate.

Colts

Chiefs

@ Seattle

Bye

Cardinals

@ Jets

49ers

That's about as tough an opening schedule as I can imagine.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

• Like 1

In addition 6 of their last 8 fantasy relevant games are on the road, championship week at Cinci and they miss out on playing Oak twice (week 17)

Teams change and defenses can't be predicted though, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

In addition 6 of their last 8 fantasy relevant games are on the road, championship week at Cinci and they miss out on playing Oak twice (week 17)

Teams change and defenses can't be predicted though, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Along with their unfriendly run to start the season, this is a good point to consider.

My take is that both Denver and KCs backfield stats come back to earth some next year.

Surely the RB on a Peyton team is an asset but I don't expect Ball to produce Moreno like stats right out of the gate.

Colts

Chiefs

@ Seattle

Bye

Cardinals

@ Jets

49ers

I think you can add the Chargers to list also. Denver RB's didn't do much against the SD defense last year. Even in the playoff game the Denver RB's didn't do much until late in the game.

About the fumbling. His lack of fumbling in college means absolutely nothing. He lost 3 fumbles last year in the NFL playing part time. Right now, he's a fumbler and defenses know this.

If you're going to bring up Ball's college career to prove his fumbling as a myth, you might as well bring up Mark Ingram's (1st guy that came to my head) YPC in college to prove he can replicate that in the NFL.

So, is everyone downgrading Manning also? Are you trying to say that he will not have a good season because of the aforementioned points? If so, then fine. To each, their own!

However, if you still think that Manning will be the best QB this year or in the top 3, then your logic is flawed in saying that Ball wont produce.

No one controls the game like Manning. No one gets the numbers on his side like Manning. He would throw the ball every time if that's what the defense gives him. However, that never happens.

So, Ball will be given an opportunity for success with the numbers on his side in one of the most explosive offenses in NFL history? He has no real competition for carries and is the goal line back as well.

He is probably more talented than Moreno. So, what's not to like?

Joseph Addai was a first round pick with manning under center. He was nowhere near a first round talent.

Ball is a better player than Addai.

Manning makes fantasy relevant RB's out of almost anyone

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Montee Ball. I've never been overly impressed with his ability as a runner. That said, in that offense, as the lead back, and the likely goal line back, he doesn't have to be that good. In other words, his floor is really high and so the "bust" calls are off the mark. Overvalued? I think so. I don't like him as my RB1, but I love him as my RB2.

• Like 1

Joseph Addai was a first round pick with manning under center. He was nowhere near a first round talent.

Ball is a better player than Addai.

Manning makes fantasy relevant RB's out of almost anyone

Very true, I drafted addai his rookie year. I agree Peyton will make an rb fantasy relevant this year, I just dont think it will be Ball.

Very true, I drafted addai his rookie year. I agree Peyton will make an rb fantasy relevant this year, I just dont think it will be Ball.

Not everyone is correct all the time in ffball, especially myself which is why i do not criticize when people end up wrong. This statement though i couldnt disagree with more and may bring it up after the season. The only way Ball isnt the best rb on the team is if he is injured. No one else is close to his talent.
  • Like 1

to me, the definition of a bust is someone that doesn't earn his draft position.

Ball is a good bust candidate. I don't see Denver repeating their offensive production and simply inputting Moreno's #s for Ball will be a mistake.

So, a ROOKIE goes for 700 total yards and 4.5 yards per carry, and you think he's gonna be a bust? Rookies take time. Ball is gonna go off big time IMO. I think last years' crop of rookie running backs is one of the best in decades. Him, Lacy, Bell, and Giovani are gonna rule the rushing and total yard charts for the next decade.

• Like 1

Are you serious? lol He fumbled TWICE in 934 carries in college. You don't simply turn into a "fumbler" in the NFL. The coaching staff isn't worried about it and the rest of the team isn't either, so why should you? Show me another RB that fumbled only TWICE in 934 carries.... I'll wait while you do your research. I love when people see a guy, a rookie at that, and put labels on a player without ever having done their research.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/nfl-former-badgers-rb-montee-ball-gets-fumble-fix-from/article_c86f745f-2c16-5372-a461-c430d4603339.html

There is your proof. Go ahead and refute it. I dare you. lol I'm not saying Ball will be a top 5 RB, but he's anything but a fumbler. In my personal opinion, he's the best buy low on the market due to totally idiotic posts like this. I've picked him up in two dynasty leagues for almost nothing. I gave up Lynch in one and the 1.10 rookie pick in another. I'll throw out my thoughts on his 2014 season stats - 1,250 yards rushing, 50 receptions for another 350 yards and 14 total TD's. Guess what? That's pretty damn good in any league. You think Decker is/was a better WR than Manuel? You are wrong again. Manuel has two things Decker didn't; His speed and his route running ability. He's shiftier than he is fast, but Decker was a product of the system and a product of Manning. They won't miss him. I do think the offense will be a bit more run oriented this year, especially considering they have their LT back. Also, look at Ball's stats over the 2nd half of the season. What did he average per carry? It was over 5 ypc. He is a flat out excellent pass protector (brought about by working all season on it) and he won't leave the field often. Please post more about how Ball is a bust so I can keep getting him lower in my drafts.

yeah I don't get the 'he's a fumbler' mentality that everyone has. He fumbled twice very early in the season and then once again later in the year against NE. Howver, that one was ALL Manning as he muffed the handoff. Sometimes those fumbles go to the RB and Sometimes they go to the QB. Point is he actually fumbled twice last year as a green rook and almost never in college. He's going to be a consistent producer this year. Dude is a better runner than Knowshon, can catch the ball just as well and he's got a nose for the end-zone; not to mention he's on an offense that will give him plenty of opportunity to score. His floor is somewhere around 1200 total yards and 9-10 TD's. I personally see him getting closer to 1500 yfs and 12+ TDs.

The hardest part of a college RB's NFL transition is pass protection. If Ball has crossed that hurdle, he'll start and produce as a RB2 w. upside. Denver has a tougher schedule this year and the league has had a season to review film and adapt. DThomas should get his, but also more double-coverage. Decker was a bigger body at WR than Sanders - Denver will miss that to some degree.

The problem with the smaller WRS is they get dinged up easier. How old is Welker? It's hard to say that one game against Seattle last year exposed them, but I have tempered expectations for this offense as a whole.

Are you serious? lol He fumbled TWICE in 934 carries in college. You don't simply turn into a "fumbler" in the NFL. The coaching staff isn't worried about it and the rest of the team isn't either, so why should you? Show me another RB that fumbled only TWICE in 934 carries.... I'll wait while you do your research. I love when people see a guy, a rookie at that, and put labels on a player without ever having done their research.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/nfl-former-badgers-rb-montee-ball-gets-fumble-fix-from/article_c86f745f-2c16-5372-a461-c430d4603339.html

There is your proof. Go ahead and refute it. I dare you. lol I'm not saying Ball will be a top 5 RB, but he's anything but a fumbler. In my personal opinion, he's the best buy low on the market due to totally idiotic posts like this. I've picked him up in two dynasty leagues for almost nothing. I gave up Lynch in one and the 1.10 rookie pick in another. I'll throw out my thoughts on his 2014 season stats - 1,250 yards rushing, 50 receptions for another 350 yards and 14 total TD's. Guess what? That's pretty damn good in any league. You think Decker is/was a better WR than Manuel? You are wrong again. Manuel has two things Decker didn't; His speed and his route running ability. He's shiftier than he is fast, but Decker was a product of the system and a product of Manning. They won't miss him. I do think the offense will be a bit more run oriented this year, especially considering they have their LT back. Also, look at Ball's stats over the 2nd half of the season. What did he average per carry? It was over 5 ypc. He is a flat out excellent pass protector (brought about by working all season on it) and he won't leave the field often. Please post more about how Ball is a bust so I can keep getting him lower in my drafts.

you picked him up for almost nothing?

Lynch isnt almost nothing.

Neither is a 1.10 rookie pick (although that is a lower price than Lynch)

anyhow, I got him on waivers the middle of last year when Moreno went off and Balls previous owner panicked. His loss is my gain.

The hardest part of a college RB's NFL transition is pass protection. If Ball has crossed that hurdle, he'll start and produce as a RB2 w. upside. Denver has a tougher schedule this year and the league has had a season to review film and adapt. DThomas should get his, but also more double-coverage. Decker was a bigger body at WR than Sanders - Denver will miss that to some degree.

The problem with the smaller WRS is they get dinged up easier. How old is Welker? It's hard to say that one game against Seattle last year exposed them, but I have tempered expectations for this offense as a whole.

That is the thing about a manning offense. Lots of good WR's and a HOF QB tossing the ball. Nobody will be able to key on the Run and Ball is at least good enough to pick up good yards on those famous Peyton (Omaha) Audibles.

He will do just fine. Its just a question of whether he will become a TD Machine or not. I'd say a top 12 RB is where I would rate him, but with more upside. Based on Upside you likely draft him as if hes the 9th or 10th best RB on the board and hope he exceeds expectations on TD's and becomes a top 5 RB. I wouldnt bet on him being top 5 but I wouldnt completely rule it out either.

Fantasy Football Index had Bell as a Top 10 RB last year - huge whiff on that one.

The problem I'd have with taking Ball is that I'd be drafting him over Top 3 type QBs and WRs in the late first to mid 2nd range. That's quite a risk or a guy who most likely will end up in some form of committee.

I don't think Manning is stupid enough to allow a RBBC knowing it screws things up.

Colts

Chiefs

@ Seattle

Bye

Cardinals

@ Jets

49ers

Eddie Lacy last year ran well against tougher run defenses when Rodgers was healthy. Teams like the ravens, lions, who are known to stop the run. Teams have to account for the passing game and running game and that is hard to do given Manning's options. Lacy also got 40 and a TD against SF last year and SF will be weaker this year. Denver will likely, especially off of a bye week, blow out the cardinals. Arizona did not beat teams like that on the road last year, sorry. Remember what happened against the saints? Jets will also be getting stomped. Denver has the chance to run down the clock on those two teams and KC is not exactly good in Denver. And they ran well last year on the chiefs.

I just have to ask this question. When the top six RBs are off the board who would you take over Ball? Are you fine rolling the dice on Foster or Bell. Or waiting for Ellington and Stacy. You don't want Stacy to be a wasted draft pick.

I like ball and murray the most after forte, charles, mccoy, ap, lacy. Bell is in a good spot, i am just worried about blount stealing the tds. Why pay blount as much as the steelers did and not give him a significant role in the offense?

I like ball and murray the most after forte, charles, mccoy, ap, lacy. Bell is in a good spot, i am just worried about blount stealing the tds. Why pay blount as much as the steelers did and not give him a significant role in the offense?

It's been said before but Blount is actually not a very good goal line back. You'd think he would be given his size but historically he is not very good at punching it in.

It's been said before but Blount is actually not a very good goal line back. You'd think he would be given his size but historically he is not very good at punching it in.

Maybe he just didnt find his stride until the end of last year. I just think the money pitt payed was indicative of a player they expect to utilize regularly.

A lot of people here that are doubting Ball this season. With that in mind would you pass on him if you were in my shoes. 12 team auction ppr keeper league. Keep 2. Keeping AJ Green for $4 can keep one of these 2 Montee Ball $13 or Julius Thomas $2

Thanks

Maybe he just didnt find his stride until the end of last year. I just think the money pitt payed was indicative of a player they expect to utilize regularly.

Oh noM, they will use him for sure. Just maybe not so much as a goal line back. He's more like a change of pace back but instead of being an undersized scatback he's a bruiser.

So, a ROOKIE goes for 700 total yards and 4.5 yards per carry, and you think he's gonna be a bust? Rookies take time. Ball is gonna go off big time IMO. I think last years' crop of rookie running backs is one of the best in decades. Him, Lacy, Bell, and Giovani are gonna rule the rushing and total yard charts for the next decade.

I agree 100%. Fox doesn't use rookies and that has been his MO since he began coaching. Ball is a clear cut starter on a team with a HoF QB, great WR's, great run blocking offensive line and a vastly improved defense. I'm confused as to what people don't like.... He has the burst, durability and vision to be a success. He isn't the fastest guy on the field, but neither was E. Smith. lol I hope everyone keeps hating him as I'm taking him as a RB1 draft after draft. I cannot be the only one who is doing this as in the redraft leagues I'm in, he went 1.08 Sunday and hasn't been a 2nd round pick in over week now. He is one of the players I am targeting in every single draft I can. If I am lucky enough to get the 1.01, I'm trading down to the 1.06/1.07 because I know I can pick up an extra early round pick and still get my guy. We'll see how this plays out at the end of the season, but those hating on him are going to regret passing him up. Oh wait, this is fantasy football.... The people passing on him won't regret it, this time next season they'll be saying "he can't do it again... It was a fluke.... He'll bust in 2015...." lol

I just have to ask this question. When the top six RBs are off the board who would you take over Ball? Are you fine rolling the dice on Foster or Bell. Or waiting for Ellington and Stacy. You don't want Stacy to be a wasted draft pick.

You beat me to it Breesman. Other poster suggested they would be fine with Ball as the Rb2. Who the heck are the 12 backs taken ahead of him? Absolutely about the 4 you mentioned...are you taking Lynch ahead of him? Who?

You beat me to it Breesman. Other poster suggested they would be fine with Ball as the Rb2. Who the heck are the 12 backs taken ahead of him? Absolutely about the 4 you mentioned...are you taking Lynch ahead of him? Who?

It might be just me but I take Lynch, Foster, and Murray over him.

It might be just me but I take Lynch, Foster, and Murray over him.

And they might end up with better numbers, but they all have their issues, and a lower upside. And then I guess if you have the 12th pick, maybe Ball could be your Rb2.

And they might end up with better numbers, but they all have their issues, and a lower upside. And then I guess if you have the 12th pick, maybe Ball could be your Rb2.

Sure they have their issues and I would have him immediately after those 3 or on the same level as Foster. Ideally he can be your really high upsides RB2 and you pair him with a Murray or Lynch. I think as a RB1 he is a little worrisome; at least from my perspective.

Colts

Chiefs

@ Seattle

Bye

Cardinals

@ Jets

49ers

That's about as tough an opening schedule as I can imagine.http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

I dunno. That Colts vs Chiefs playoff game displayed zero defense and neither is likely to slow Denver at home. The next four will be rough though. Might be able to run on the 49ers at home.

Yeah i don't understand this at all. After shady, charles, AP, Forte and Lacy, I think Ball and Murray are in a tier of their own and I would draft them without hesitation over Lynch and Foster who I see as busty.

Id still prefer taking Megatron or Demariyus at pick 6 or 7, but Ball going from pick 7 on makes sense. He should definitely not make it out of the first round. Second round RBs of the Zac Stacy ilk are just scaaaawwwweee.

I think the broncos offense is good enough for ball to overcome a rough stretch of defenses to start the season.

I am in so many leagues that i have basically all of the top rbs on at least one team besides AP and Lacy so far. A few of these mofos are going to bust and make us owners want to shoot ourselves.

Hillman and Anderson have 13 carries between them on the season so far.

If anything Anderson could step up as he's showing a good YPC average on very limited carries.

Ball could lose the job if he fumbles more, but the numbers haven't been great, but also partly the fault of non-existent run blocking by Denver. They're not creating any running lanes and O linemen are getting pushed back into the pocket. Ball is getting stuffed most of the time before he can even get going. I don't know if another back in there would be showing improved numbers.

Same question - should I offer Montee Ball for McCoy?

Who has more upside of improving. I think Ball does. Philly offense is struggling, but Peyton is still moving the chains and putting up numbers to at least keep defenses honest. Den is still committed to the run, even if it's not producing all world humbers, they're running a more balanced offense than last year.

I'd say right now if you have Ball, he's a hold, if he has a big breakout game, that's the time to trade him.

• Like 1

I think Ball will improve, stats wise, but I stand by him not being quite worth his ADP.

Although we could say that about a number of first-second rounders.

I'm seriously thinking of unloading ball outright. I tried to trade him and I found no takers. Michael Crabtree just became available, surprisingly, on waivers so I have to unload one of my runners to get him.

Crowell, McKinnon, and Hill are superior runners to Ball who may be huge as the season progresses. I hate to unload one of them to keep ball who I don't plan on playing at all. I think Ball's schedule, especially in weeks 14-16 are not appealing either, so I may just make this move.

Am I crazy?

Been trying to trade him in both leagues I own him for a whole host of different positions; fellow RBs, TEs, WRs. Dont get carried away though, he will get his TDs to make up for the 60 yards rushing less per game than other top 15 backs. I place high value on getting wins NOW due to the high volatility/injuries in the NFL, and his upcoming schedule is the worst for RBs.

I'm seriously thinking of unloading ball outright. I tried to trade him and I found no takers. Michael Crabtree just became available, surprisingly, on waivers so I have to unload one of my runners to get him.

Crowell, McKinnon, and Hill are superior runners to Ball who may be huge as the season progresses. I hate to unload one of them to keep ball who I don't plan on playing at all. I think Ball's schedule, especially in weeks 14-16 are not appealing either, so I may just make this move.

Am I crazy?

Really almost his whole schedule is crummy, except for a little spate in the middle with Oak and StL. The closing 3 do not look promising at all especially.

But the offense is so good, I would never drop him, plus he is one of just a handful of RBs who get nearly all the carries. The situation is terrific. The other guys you mention are stashes for mid to late season IMO.

Really almost his whole schedule is crummy, except for a little spate in the middle with Oak and StL. The closing 3 do not look promising at all especially.

But the offense is so good, I would never drop him, plus he is one of just a handful of RBs who get nearly all the carries. The situation is terrific. The other guys you mention are stashes for mid to late season IMO.

If you see my roster at the bottom, I have Lacy, Jennings, and Ellington and three stashes. Honestly, I think Any of my stashes can get as many as Ball.
  • Like 1

Same question - should I offer Montee Ball for McCoy?

Who has more upside of improving. I think Ball does. Philly offense is struggling, but Peyton is still moving the chains and putting up numbers to at least keep defenses honest. Den is still committed to the run, even if it's not producing all world humbers, they're running a more balanced offense than last year.

I'd say right now if you have Ball, he's a hold, if he has a big breakout game, that's the time to trade him.

Denver hasn't had any routes yet, when they really get up on a team and run out the clock that's when Ball should get 20 carries The Colts game was like that and that was Ball's best game.