Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Parents rip school after college field trip includes only black students

Parents criticized Indiana school officials Thursday for a trip planned to local colleges that was only offered to black third-graders, ABC 57 reported.

School officials defended the trip, saying the outing sends a positive message to black students who may believe the prospect of college is out of reach.

"We take them to a college campus, have them meet African-American students, modeling the idea that as a black person, college is a great place," Dr. G. David Moss, the head of the African-American services at the South Bend Community Schools Corporation, told the station.

The initiative has been criticized by parents in the community, not because of its ambitions, but because it excludes students with other backgrounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/16/black-only-field-trip-at-indiana-school-criticized/?intcmp=latestnews

Ah the government, teaching kids how to be racists and entitled at a young age. And the cycle continues!

I get it to a certain extent.

These kids are likely not getting any such exposure at home, and such a trip would perhaps bring the desired benefit of a more emphatic focus on education over rap-lyric-based life.

That being said, defending this puts one on that shaky ground, and I have no doubt that they would defend it, and that they would use the notion that other groups do not need this etc.

Bottom line, their actions are unseemly. I would not be any more tolerant of this kind of behavior were it taken on behalf of latinos, or asians or any other group. This is the kind of exclusionary act that should be shunned, but instead you have people who see absolutely no problem with it. It staggers the imagination.

Parents criticized Indiana school officials Thursday for a trip planned to local colleges that was only offered to black third-graders, ABC 57 reported.

School officials defended the trip, saying the outing sends a positive message to black students who may believe the prospect of college is out of reach.

"We take them to a college campus, have them meet African-American students, modeling the idea that as a black person, college is a great place," Dr. G. David Moss, the head of the African-American services at the South Bend Community Schools Corporation, told the station.

The initiative has been criticized by parents in the community, not because of its ambitions, but because it excludes students with other backgrounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/16/black-only-field-trip-at-indiana-school-criticized/?intcmp=latestnews

Ah the government, teaching kids how to be racists and entitled at a young age. And the cycle continues!

Ah phurboy, taking the most extreme and simplistic view on every issue. And the cycle continues!

Moss told the station that he did not mean to offend anyone with the trips, but said he was hired to "look at the issues facing African-American kids" in the community.

Sounds to me like the guy was doing his job as head of "African-American services". If the parents have a problem it should probably be with the fact their school district has something called "African American services".

Sounds to me like the guy was doing his job as head of "African-American services". If the parents have a problem it should probably be with the fact their school district has something called "African American services".

:doh:

How can this story even be discussed without including this part????

Next Up:

Community Outraged that only Jewish kids went on the Judaic Studies field trip.

Students Forced to Speak Spanish during Spanish Class

I'm all for anything that promotes education and I wouldn't be one of these d-bag parents whining over this at all. :thumbsdown:

With that said, and speaking on a more macro level, true equality has two sides of a ledger. Not only does it mean a person or a race is not discriminated against, it also means they aren't treated "special" either. That part of equality is often forgot about. Hopefully one day soon things like Affirmative Action, special programs like this for only certain races, etc. can be stopped / dropped. That is true equality.

:doh:

How can this story even be discussed without including this part????

Next Up:

Community Outraged that only Jewish kids went on the Judaic Studies field trip.

Students Forced to Speak Spanish during Spanish Class

Perhaps the better question would be how well received it would be were some other group to exclude African Americans on purpose? It comes back to the same old story, its not about equality at all, but that is the veil to be hidden behind....and I think its actually as harmful as it is helpful in most cases.

Perhaps the better question would be

correct.

this is what parrot is getting at to begin with.

this is what KSB is referring to.

The issue here isn't that the Head of African American Services took only black kids - it's that there a "special" program that seems to be only for African American kids.

Hey - if it's some sort of club that anyone can join/learn/participate in and only black kids joined, that's fine.... but a "services" department that is only for those of a certain race, creed, etc is pretty bad.

Next up:

The White Kids Services Department is taking White Kids Swimming and Ice Skating.

Phurfur still doesn't understand what racism actually is.

Please explain it to him.

This forearm is full of entitled crybaby white guys.

Please explain it to him.

Won't help with him.

He will just run and hide like always.

We love to point out how blacks commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and are disproportionately incarcerated. It seems they face issues as a group that other races don't seem to face.

One specifically is not having a lot of positive role models in the professional realms requiring higher education. I can get behind programs that aim to reverse that trend. Is it completely "fair"? Maybe not, but I don't all that hung up on that. It would be great if there were resources available for all the kids to get this kind of exposure. But, if not, it makes sense to start with those most at risk.

Maybe if we can change mindsets early in the game we can save more resources down that line - the old "a stitch in time saves nine."

This forearm is full of entitled crybaby white guys.

:thumbsup:

I don't teach my kids to think like victims or to be constantly worried about what's "fair".

If they took them to a prison, I bet the libbies here would have a different opinion of race only field trips.

Indiana just passed a law where this is now legal. Funny how everything works out in the end.

Ah phurboy, taking the most extreme and simplistic view on every issue. And the cycle continues!

Does the school employ a Director of White American services? No? Seems they have several double standards.

We love to point out how blacks commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and are disproportionately incarcerated. It seems they face issues as a group that other races don't seem to face.

One specifically is not having a lot of positive role models in the professional realms requiring higher education. I can get behind programs that aim to reverse that trend. Is it completely "fair"? Maybe not, but I don't all that hung up on that. It would be great if there were resources available for all the kids to get this kind of exposure. But, if not, it makes sense to start with those most at risk.

Maybe if we can change mindsets early in the game we can save more resources down that line - the old "a stitch in time saves nine."

I agree with you. Something needs to be done to teach these kids that, not working, doing drugs, distrespecting women, not taking responsibility for your kids and committing crimes is not "keeping in real" or being an "uncle Tom".

• Like 1

Same people complaining about this are those that cry that there aren't enough black leaders to teach kids...you can't win with people like that. They will always whine about something.

Does the school employ a Director of White American services? No? Seems they have several double standards.

:lol:

:). What about white entertainment television?

Hilarious watching people cry about that.

This is wrong. It's that simple. You can't exclude people based on race. The people saying there's nothing wrong with a "blacks" only college trip would be up in arms if there was a "whites" only college trip. How about we take anyone who wants to go? How about we take all interested kids who want to experience the college life? Last I checked, there are poor and innercity whites, Asians, Latinos, that feel like college is unattainable.

I think it's great to try and show the African-American youth that college is a viable choice. These are the types of things that will never move us out of racism. This is a us against them type attitude. It's a double standard of the highest form. I always ask myself this. If whites did this, is it racist? If the answer is yes, well, then it's racist for all.

Won't help with him.

He will just run and hide like always.

I think we would all benefit from your explanation of racism, please share.

:thumbsup:

I don't teach my kids to think like victims or to be constantly worried about what's "fair".

you must not be a liberal

At least this is a useful example for ones kids about hypocrisy and the reality of people and their motivations. It's an example for us to show our kids about how to NOT behave, especially if you are among those who have been mistreated in this very manner.

If someone wants to scream about equality and then do this, what are you going to believe?

Same people complaining about this are those that cry that there aren't enough black leaders to teach kids...you can't win with people like that. They will always whine about something.

This was a school coordinated field trip correct? This was a trip that was blacks only correct? You don't see a problem with public schools allowing a segregated field trip? So you would have no problem with a whites only field trip?

This was a school coordinated field trip correct? This was a trip that was blacks only correct? You don't see a problem with public schools allowing a segregated field trip? So you would have no problem with a whites only field trip?

Obviously a whites only field trip wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in this context since whites are infinitely more likely to go to college. That was the purpose of the trip - to expose kids who are far less likely to go to college to that environment.

Obviously a whites only field trip wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in this context since whites are infinitely more likely to go to college. That was the purpose of the trip - to expose kids who are far less likely to go to college to that environment.

But shouldn't it be done by UNCF and not public tax dollars?

But shouldn't it be done by UNCF and not public tax dollars?

I don't know. Maybe? :dunno:

Sounds like some white folks looking for something to be mad about and call racist. "How come they gots BET - Black Entertainment Television? White Entertainment Television would be called racist.?."

<_< ugh...

• Like 1

Blacks are not the only poor inner city kids who feel college is unattainable tho. So why make it segregated? Would it be ok for a whites only trip for the same reason? The answer is no. It's not ok.

Sounds like some white folks looking for something to be mad about and call racist. "How come they gots BET - Black Entertainment Television? White Entertainment Television would be called racist.?."

<_< ugh...

You're missing the point. This was a clear cut case of a public school allowing segregation. That shouldn't be allowed.

Blacks are not the only poor inner city kids who feel college is unattainable tho. So why make it segregated? Would it be ok for a whites only trip for the same reason? The answer is no. It's not ok.

Since the trip was run by the dept of African American services it seems like they'd mostly get black kids.

Whites don't disproportionately skip college. If the trip was only for any other race, say Korean kids, I doubt anyone would care. But "blacks only" draws instant media attention.

• Like 1

Since the trip was run by the dept of African American services it seems like they'd mostly get black kids.

I understand. I have no problem if black leaders want to take black only students. The problem I have is they did it via the school system. If the African American service wants to do this, then do it via the community. Churches, pass out flyers, door to door type things, but not in a public school.

Whites don't disproportionately skip college. If the trip was only for any other race, say Korean kids, I doubt anyone would care. But "blacks only" draws instant media attention.

So what?? Some whites do skip college. Or can't afford it. Or feel like it's not an option. Same as any other race. So people have no problem if the other races make it segregated. Got it. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

We had italian American, Polish American and Jewish clubs in my elementary school. Nobody seemed to get all butthurt about that.

We had italian American, Polish American and Jewish clubs in my elementary school. Nobody seemed to get all butthurt about that.

Did they take individual field trips excluding the other groups? If so, I think that's wrong. If it was clubs to embrace or talk about one's heritage, then so what?

I think we would all benefit from your explanation of racism, please share.

No thanks.

Suffice to say...planning a trip to teach young black kids that college is attainable for them is not racism.

Stupid to have trips like this if nothing is offered to other students? Probably.

I have not read enough to know if this was some elective thing offered to them or what.

Only read a little bit in here while I was at the gym.

But phurfur cries racism for things that simply aren't racism...and then brings it up in other threads so it was a shot at him for that.