Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

No softball this weekend, so weather permitting I will get my first round of the year in. Not even sure where we'll play yet, but I can practically guaranteed my score will be somewhere between 88-92.

Playing 18 Sunday and 18 Monday. 1st in 3 weeks :(

I usd to putt great.. best part if my game... deadly from 10ft in. Ever since stroke i have no touch whatsoever. Its terrible. Hit it too hard or too soft. Ill shoot. 39 with 20 + putts

I'm not a terrible putter, but I'm not a really good one either. I'm a very solid 2-putt guy, but not one to sink 10-15 footers with regularity. I change putters like the wind - I'm currently about to go back to a 2-ball version form Odyssey. I seem to always revisit that ugly ass style every other year.

My distance control is amazing, especially on long putts, no idea how or why.

Green reading is meh.

AIM is miserable.

I always THOUGHT I was a good putter.....But stats tend to tell the tale.

An article I read, or a comment, or something somewhere got me onto paying the most attention to Average Putts on Greens in Regulation.....Makes sense, as when you miss a green, you should be chipping it close enough to leave yourself a shorter putt on average..............anyway, the thinking is to get your Average Putts on Greens in Regulation under 2. Meaning you drain the birdie more often than you 3 putt.

Anyway, for my last 20 rounds, my stats are:

GIR Putts = 2.1

Non GIR Putts = 1.6

I always THOUGHT I was a good putter.....But stats tend to tell the tale.

An article I read, or a comment, or something somewhere got me onto paying the most attention to Average Putts on Greens in Regulation.....Makes sense, as when you miss a green, you should be chipping it close enough to leave yourself a shorter putt on average..............anyway, the thinking is to get your Average Putts on Greens in Regulation under 2. Meaning you drain the birdie more often than you 3 putt.

Anyway, for my last 20 rounds, my stats are:

GIR Putts = 2.1

Non GIR Putts = 1.6

I am such a choke artist, I normally only 3 putt when it's a GIR

12 feet, 15 feet, 45 feet. doesn't matter. I gag like that lady who died on her Bfs cack

Guess here, but my GIR putts would be 2.5+

Non GIR 1.8

I've had at least 3 no putts this year.

I usd to putt great.. best part if my game... deadly from 10ft in. Ever since stroke i have no touch whatsoever. Its terrible. Hit it too hard or too soft. Ill shoot. 39 with 20 + putts

I still don't quite understand how I did it, but a couple years ago on an easy course, I shot an 84 with 42 putts........Afterward I joked that a par 72 is 36 shots and 36 putts, so my ratio was obviously professional level.

:(

Must have stirred something up today talking golf. Just got invited by one of my customers/counterparties to play a week from Monday at a decent course near my house. That'll be two rounds in about 10 days for me, which is way above pace..

Must have stirred something up today talking golf. Just got invited by one of my customers/counterparties to play a week from Monday at a decent course near my house. That'll be two rounds in about 10 days for me, which is way above pace..

You're going to need one of those Asian massages after that much golf. :ninja:

• Like 1

42 tonight with a bad double even if it was on the hardest hole. Great drive and ended up doubling it. Hitting my driver the best I ever have in my life, but not taking advantage of it.

42 tonight with a bad double even if it was on the hardest hole. Great drive and ended up doubling it. Hitting my driver the best I ever have in my life, but not taking advantage of it.

That always happens, bomb a drive and then duff the 70yard half stinger approach, then curse you should have just hit to 100yards out and had a full wedge in

I'm playing the best I've ever played right now. Still a double digit handicap but I'm way more consistent. Only one or two "awful" shots a round now. You know, the dead pull left 45 degrees into the woods, or the fat 8 iron that goes 60 yards. Only losing maybe one ball a round. Consistently in the mid 80's, flirting going lower.

BTW WhiteWonder, you asked back when I bought it but TM M2 is magical. Can't say enough about that Driver.

You're going to need one of those Asian massages after that much golf. :ninja:

Yeah, I just don't play as much golf as I like. I still like to play softball (both beer league and some semi-competitive tournament stuff) so as long as I can do that, golf will take a back seat.

If you get a chance, watch some of the Colonial this week.

Colonial is the ultimate definition of an "old styled" course, and it in perfect shape. Only Augusta and the Masters has had a longer running tenure at one course. Shot makers love this track.

No softball this weekend, so weather permitting I will get my first round of the year in. Not even sure where we'll play yet, but I can practically guaranteed my score will be somewhere between 88-92.

Sunday 49-40 89

Monday 42-46 88

The funny part is that the Monday course was far more difficult than the Sunday course. Also my Monday round included a quadruple-bogey 8 on the 18th hole.

Got new flip flops.

the top of them was hard plastic.

Wore them all day Saturday.

Went to bed with the top of my foot feeling weird.

Woke up Sunday and couldn't put any pressure on my right foot

Had to cancel golf Sunday and Monday :cry:

Feeling better today.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/extensor-tendonitis

Got new flip flops.

the top of them was hard plastic.

Wore them all day Saturday.

Went to bed with the top of my foot feeling weird.

Woke up Sunday and couldn't put any pressure on my right foot

Had to cancel golf Sunday and Monday :cry:

Feeling better today.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/extensor-tendonitis

Flip-Flops are ghey, and in this case, painful as well. The only way they could be more ghey is if you wear them with jeans.

Flip-Flops are ghey, and in this case, painful as well. The only way they could be more ghey is if you wear them with jeans.

I used to think so as well.

but in my old age, I've come to care less about things like that

Sunday 49-40 89

Monday 42-46 88

The funny part is that the Monday course was far more difficult than the Sunday course. Also my Monday round included a quadruple-bogey 8 on the 18th hole.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Except for the quad - damn, on the last hole too. I would not be able to sleep for a week if that happened.

Got new flip flops.

I admit, I'm a ghey flop owner.. But down here, it's so damn hot, flip flops are basically standard issue. I used to hate them, now I can't live w/out them.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Except for the quad - damn, on the last hole too. I would not be able to sleep for a week if that happened.

Yeah, it was a crappy finish that's for sure. I don't play enough (yet) to lose sleep over it.. :lol:

A beautiful weekend for golf here over the Memorial Day weekend.

I spent it coaching baseball practice, cutting grass, taking my boys to a carnival, grilling for friends and family, shopping for, purchasing and assembling new beds, and giving the wife the ol' 1-2.

Never even made it to the range.

Never even made it to the range.

I'm a range rat... Didn't actually play this weekend (believe it or not), but I did get a good 2 1/2 hour range session in y-day.

Swing gurus, gather round. I've been working on my hand path to try and fix the over the top slice move I've battled for years. Well apparently it's working because I'm hitting a dead-pull now. Any suggestions?

Swing gurus, gather round. I've been working on my hand path to try and fix the over the top slice move I've battled for years. Well apparently it's working because I'm hitting a dead-pull now. Any suggestions?

Love to offer something, just so hard w/out seeing your swing. Could end up making it worse... Grip, ball position, alignment - most problems can be traced back to those.

I'm a range rat... Didn't actually play this weekend (believe it or not), but I did get a good 2 1/2 hour range session in y-day.

You ever played Shady Valley in Arlington? Normally private but they did an Ideal Golfer deal and we played Saturday. Enjoyed the layout and it was in good shape.

That said, I experienced a humbling. I was hitting the driver well...240-280 and the 10 handicap version of straight, meaning I may push it or pull it 10-20 yards, but high, long, and straight......The problem was this course was narrow and unless you were dead straight and could play for a far left or far right third of the fairway, it asked for a fade or draw on every hole. I only hit 1 fairway that allowed for a clean approach. And the greens had a ton of slope, and I kept short siding it, leaving myself an uphill chip to a severe downhill slope. Just kept having to be satisfying leaving myself a 20 foot comeback putt.

The result was a 92...probably my highest score this year....in which I felt like I drove it well, hit my irons ok, and chipped and putted well. #suck

Love offer something, just so hard w/out seeing your swing. Could end up making it worse... Grip, ball position, alignment - most problems can be traced back to those.

I'm thinking ball position since it was mostly off the tee. I probably just need to play around with it on the range, but I was crushing it on the range, then stepped on the first tee and immediately yanked one into the 3rd base dugout. First tourney of the year too. Good crowd watching. :wall:

You ever played Shady Valley in Arlington?

The result was a 92...probably my highest score this year....in which I felt like I drove it well, hit my irons ok, and chipped and putted well. #suck

92 is not good anywhere, but definitely understandable at Shady Valley... That is one tough, tight, trees out the ass track. The small greens don't help either.. I've only played it about 3 times - but I'm sure I've hit most of the lumber out there.

92 is not good anywhere, but definitely understandable at Shady Valley... That is one tough, tight, trees out the ass track. The small greens don't help either.. I've only played it about 3 times - but I'm sure I've hit most of the lumber out there.

It was my blow up round. I tend to shoot a 91-93 about once every 20 rounds, but normally that involves a few zero sum shots - either shanks, a couple chunked wedges, a couple drives OB, or I took some cold medicine and needed 40 putts. The type things that allow me to just write the day off as a freak occurrence......

This had none of that. I kept hitting drives that felt good but I'd get to the ball and realize I don't have a shot. And I'd get up to the green and say "well, had I known what this green looked like, I sure as hell wouldn't have missed on this side."....and it just added up. Oh well....Heat got to me a little also. Haven't golfed in a 107 heat index in awhile. Probably gave away a handful down the stretch.

I am playing my first non-scramble on Thursday. Last time out, I hit the ball long and straight, so I am hopeful that it will continue particularly since the course we are playing is tight. Will need to sharpen my wedge game for this course.

I am playing my first non-scramble on Thursday. Last time out, I hit the ball long and straight, so I am hopeful that it will continue particularly since the course we are playing is tight. Will need to sharpen my wedge game for this course.

I only play scrambles with friends, we always fair pretty well. 1 victory and a few 2nd and 3rds.

What we lack is anyone that can hit the ball longer than anyone else.

We are all in the 230/240 range off the tee.

If we had one guy that could hit it 250+ we'd win a lot more.

rarely being able to reach a par 5 in 2, isn't good for a scramble

We are all in the 230/240 range off the tee.

If we had one guy that could hit it 250+ we'd win a lot more.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

230/240 should be good enough to succeed in a scramble so long as you have good short game and putters.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

230/240 should be good enough to succeed in a scramble so long as you have good short game and putters.

That's what I said. we do well. We score around 7 to 9 under with the occasional, 10 and once 11 (chip in eagle on a par 5). if we could stop getting pars on par 5s, we'd be up with the winners in the 11 to 13 range.

Well apparently it's working because I'm hitting a dead-pull now. Any suggestions?

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic but a dead pull is usually an over the top move.

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic but a dead pull is usually an over the top move.

No sarcasm. My over the top is usually a weak slice, which I tend to compensate for by closing the club face. The only thing I've really changed is trying to keep my hands in closer which has resulted in the pull. :dunno:

85-82-85 over the weekend... Sunday 85 was a letdown as I missed at least 8 very makable sub 10' putts... Absolutely brutal...

Highlight of the weekend was the course making the Par 4 18th a drivable hole. Set the tees at the womans ~275yds uphill. I drove it up onto the false front, 5' short of the green and managed to make the 30' uphill putt. Clanged the stick and in for the eagle... Hole was the 11hcp, and i was getting 10 strokes so just missed the net 1 on a par 4.

No sarcasm. My over the top is usually a weak slice, which I tend to compensate for by closing the club face. The only thing I've really changed is trying to keep my hands in closer which has resulted in the pull. :dunno:

Watch how still Louis' head stays until just after impact. Other pro's are better examples but I like his swing. Keeping your head in one place makes it a lot harder to come over the top. The golf swing is about making an athletic move while keeping your head almost perfectly still. Ok I've done all the damage I can do.

Watch how still Louis' head stays until just after impact. Other pro's are better examples but I like his swing. Keeping your head in one place makes it a lot harder to come over the top. The golf swing is about making an athletic move while keeping your head almost perfectly still. Ok I've done all the damage I can do.

It's a good reminder. Head sway is definitely something I've battled in the past.

I have a scotty cameron Delmar 3 putter.. It is kind of a blade type of head. I've had it for 15+ years. 2 years ago i messed around with the grip and put on a superstroke mid size 2.0. My misses are consistently pushes, rarely pull a pull. Think its the wide grip thats influencing a push? Should i go back to a traditional pistol grip or something smaller?

I was just looking at ping anser putters on Ebay, headstyle is pretty much the same as what i have. But those old reconditioned ping putters look so cool and historic. I just closed the page and decided if i make a change it should probably be the grip.