Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I think that between 10-19 USGA, you can only card a max 7.

thats true... above 10 and a triple on par 4's and quads on par 3's are in play. My course has long par 3's that can get ugly quick.

equitable stroke control

I never really kept a handicap index because I hated the notion of entering scores I didn't really shoot. I understand that the purpose of the index is to show what level of play you are capable of, not what level of play you achieve on average but still....

I decided to start keeping a handicap this year when I have not done so basically ever. I've always had a rough idea of what i play to but never kept an official or even unofficial index.

Last week I was playing a new course, beautiful but very hard with lots of elevation an undulation. I was playing pretty poorly anyway but on one par 5 I finally hit a fairway. then I proceeded to pull a hybrid into a quarry lake, drop and hit one that I lost, 3 putt and ended up taking a 10. To enter the score I had to adjust the 10 to a 7. Just annoys me.

equitable stroke control

I never really kept a handicap index because I hated the notion of entering scores I didn't really shoot. I understand that the purpose of the index is to show what level of play you are capable of, not what level of play you achieve on average but still....

I decided to start keeping a handicap this year when I have not done so basically ever. I've always had a rough idea of what i play to but never kept an official or even unofficial index.

Last week I was playing a new course, beautiful but very hard with lots of elevation an undulation. I was playing pretty poorly anyway but on one par 5 I finally hit a fairway. then I proceeded to pull a hybrid into a quarry lake, drop and hit one that I lost, 3 putt and ended up taking a 10. To enter the score I had to adjust the 10 to a 7. Just annoys me.

I never kept a handicap until last year because I wanted to play in some tournaments that require them. One of my first rounds was a fluke 78. Until you get to 5 or 10 rounds it just takes your best score, so my first HCP was a 4, which was highly counterproductive to the tournaments I played in

I never kept a handicap until last year because I wanted to play in some tournaments that require them. One of my first rounds was a fluke 78. Until you get to 5 or 10 rounds it just takes your best score, so my first HCP was a 4, which was highly counterproductive to the tournaments I played in

i didn't think an official USGA handicap even counted until you had 10 rounds carded. but then again I never paid much attention to handicaps. was not needed for high school matches.

i remember playing a few times with my fathers golf league and when they asked what my handicap was I just whatever you want it to be. I just wanted to play, didn't care about all the getting and giving of strokes (that one wrote itself)

i didn't think an official USGA handicap even counted until you had 10 rounds carded. but then again I never paid much attention to handicaps. was not needed for high school matches.

i remember playing a few times with my fathers golf league and when they asked what my handicap was I just whatever you want it to be. I just wanted to play, didn't care about all the getting and giving of strokes (that one wrote itself)

These weren't official tournaments, just best ball or stableford team tournaments for fun. You are probably right it wasn't official until 10 but you can get a handicap immediately with GHIN

I have been hitting the ball real well this year and putting awful.

So last night I play 9 holes, I get up an down 4 times (mostly via chipping but still made the putts), no 3 putts, yet shoot 40. Made 2 doubles off bad drives.

Never fails. One part of my game always has to straight up suck. And it will switch several times in the year. When I need them I will get up and down. When I am hitting greens left and right I can't make a 5 footer.

I have been hitting the ball real well this year and putting awful.

So last night I play 9 holes, I get up an down 4 times (mostly via chipping but still made the putts), no 3 putts, yet shoot 40. Made 2 doubles off bad drives.

Never fails. One part of my game always has to straight up suck. And it will switch several times in the year. When I need them I will get up and down. When I am hitting greens left and right I can't make a 5 footer.

its mostly mental.

when you hit greens and give yourself opportunities for birdie, you expect to make no worse than par and you tense up over that 3-5 footer coming back. Yes, you could improve your lag putting but inevitably, youre going to run that 15 footer 3 feet by and miss it coming back.

but when you miss the GIR, the pressure is sometimes off. Sure, you want to get up and down but mentally you've already resigned to the idea of carding a bogey. So you relax, hit a nice chip and put a pure roll on the putt.

I played at a buddy's cub last week and left my lob wedge on the 17th green.. Can't believe I did that, I've not done that in forever - but even still, it was a nice country club, figured somebody would turn it in.... Well, found out this weekend - they did not. :mad: .......... I hate shiit like that - but it is my own fault. The beer had something to do with it I'm sure. I'm bad about leaving my range finder behind, but not a club... O'well - I picked up a new one, it was time anyway.

Had my best ball striking day yesterday that I've had all year - finally getting back into the slot and covering the ball.. Shot 74 with 2 doubles - won more than enuff for that new wedge. :thumbsup:

Nice to see Jason Day puke on his cleats yesterday in extra holes

Nice to see Jason Day puke on his cleats yesterday in extra holes

Fock Billy Horschel - never again, never! :mad:

Birdied the first hole I played this year. So I was one under for the year... for a hole. :pointstosky:

Had 4 more birdie attempts in a 9 hole round. 3 putted them all. :mad:

Was only able to sneak out for 9 holes this weekend. Shot 43 with a triple <_<

Haven't played in almost 3 weeks.

:(

that membership is really paying dividends

Played in a 2 man best ball tournament on friday... Partner and I couldn't get the dink and dunk going, even on the front, -3 on the back once the booze kicked in. I shot an 85, which could have been alot better. Was going to play sunday afternoon but I now take more time to recover, was still feeling stiff and sore so i decided to nap instead lol... Memorial day tournament is 3 day deal, hopefully have the stamina not to suck the last day when money is on the line

Shot an 81 yesterday at Tangle Ridge...possibly my favorite course in the area all things considered.

Frustrating in that I hit 13 of 14 fairways, chipped well, and putted well, but only hit 4 greens. And 3 of those 4 were less than wedge in, yet I still left myself with 20+ feet.................Basically my irons sucked balls. Kept pushing everything. Not too long ago I was fighting the hooks. I think I've fixed that, but it's still in my head enough that I'm holding off the release.

Shot an 81 yesterday at Tangle Ridge...possibly my favorite course in the area all things considered.

Frustrating in that I hit 13 of 14 fairways, chipped well, and putted well, but only hit 4 greens. And 3 of those 4 were less than wedge in, yet I still left myself with 20+ feet.................Basically my irons sucked balls. Kept pushing everything. Not too long ago I was fighting the hooks. I think I've fixed that, but it's still in my head enough that I'm holding off the release.

Y-day was about the most perfect day for golf ever - once the clouds blew out anyways. Is Tangle Ridge in good shape? I've not been out there in a few years.

Y-day was about the most perfect day for golf ever - once the clouds blew out anyways. Is Tangle Ridge in good shape? I've not been out there in a few years.

It was solid. The greens had a few small rough spots, but I've been on a 2 month streak of catching greens in horrible shape, so it felt amazing to be able to putt normally again.

It was solid. The greens had a few small rough spots, but I've been on a 2 month streak of catching greens in horrible shape, so it felt amazing to be able to putt normally again.

same, i rushed to the first tee and didn't hit any practice putts, and had to recalibrate the first few greens because they are starting to putt normally instead of seeming like i was putting a dice across the green with the aeration

Dank where you live? souf shore?

Yea - a lot of places aerated over the past month or so... Our course is hosting a sectional qualifier for the women's US Open next Tuesday - the course is in incredible shape.

Dank where you live? souf shore?

grew up south shore, live west of boston now

The Colonial is in town, spent the day out there.. If you're a golf nerd, the Tuesday practice round is the best day of any tournament, specifically the range.

Watched and saw many, but the highlight was John Rohm. He showed up and I'll be damn if he didn't park right in front of me, 10 yards away... I've seen bombers come and and go. From Tiger, to Daly, Couples, Love, D. Pohl, Bubba, DJ - and they all had 1 thing in common, they faded the ball... I've never seen anyone hit such high, towering draws so focking far - till now... This Rohm kid is ridiculous... And gracious too - he stopped often for chat and pics once on the course.

The Colonial is in town, spent the day out there.. If you're a golf nerd, the Tuesday practice round is the best day of any tournament, specifically the range.

Watched and saw many, but the highlight was John Rohm. He showed up and I'll be damn if he didn't park right in front of me, 10 yards away... I've seen bombers come and and go. From Tiger, to Daly, Couples, Love, D. Pohl, Bubba, DJ - and they all had 1 thing in common, they faded the ball... I've never seen anyone hit such high, towering draws so focking far - till now... This Rohm kid is ridiculous... And gracious too - he stopped often for chat and pics once on the course.

Funny you mention this. I go to the TPC tournament every year here to watch the pros hit on the driving range. I watched some Asian kid and his caddie hit fifty balls while the caddie held his head in the shot for every swing.

Went and played last Saturday. Thought of that little guy holding my head down for every drive, iron, and wegdes. Shot 3 over after 8 holes and put a snow man on 18. Dunked two in the drink and flew the green.

You can learn a lot from caddies on the range.

Funny you mention this....

You can learn a lot from caddies on the range.

Absolutely - I spend twice as much time watching them on the range as I do on the course.

Whats with the spyder putters... everyone using them

If Kevin Streelman or Bud Cauley peels off a couple wins with this putter, nobody notices... It just so happens that it was Jason Day who brought it into everyone's living room last year.... It's a bulky looking putter, although - it plays light. It's okay I guess, I've tried it a time or two.. It's not for me, but no denying it's changed the game for many tour pros - Day and DJ most notably.

I'd never pay $300 for one, but many have.

grew up south shore, live west of boston now

What's your home course?

my Putter is a Nike Method from a year ago

https://www.amazon.com/Nike-METHOD-Putter-Right-Inches/dp/B01NCURWEW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495639395&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=Nike+Method+Core+MC-2i

as bad as I putt, I literally could kick it better

I'm not a terrible putter, but I'm not a really good one either. I'm a very solid 2-putt guy, but not one to sink 10-15 footers with regularity. I change putters like the wind - I'm currently about to go back to a 2-ball version form Odyssey. I seem to always revisit that ugly ass style every other year.

I've been consumed with kid's baseball since I last played on spring break.

Makes the already short MI golf season even shorter. Hoping to get out for 18 this weekend.

I'm not a terrible putter, but I'm not a really good one either. I'm a very solid 2-putt guy, but not one to sink 10-15 footers with regularity. I change putters like the wind - I'm currently about to go back to a 2-ball version form Odyssey. I seem to always revisit that ugly ass style every other year.

My distance control is amazing, especially on long putts, no idea how or why.

Green reading is meh.

AIM is miserable.

What's your home course?

Used to be called Spring Valley, it's in Sharon. Was bought last year so it changed names to the cape club, which is strange because it's not on the cape obv.

http://www.thecapeclubofsharon.com

Should try to find some time this summer for a round if you are interested

Used to be called Spring Valley, it's in Sharon. Was bought last year so it changed names to the cape club, which is strange because it's not on the cape obv.

http://www.thecapeclubofsharon.com

Should try to find some time this summer for a round if you are interested

Looks really nice. :thumbsup:

No softball this weekend, so weather permitting I will get my first round of the year in. Not even sure where we'll play yet, but I can practically guaranteed my score will be somewhere between 88-92.

Looks really nice. :thumbsup:

its a nice track, very good walking course. Criminally underutilized. Course is always empty which is awesome