Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** 2017 NFL Draft Round 1 - Discussion Thread **

2016 Round 1 Discussion - (if you want to revisit your reactions)

1(1) Browns - DL Myles Garrett, Texas A&M
2(2) Bears (from 49ers) - QB Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina
3(3) 49ers (from Bears) - DL Solomon Thomas, Stanford
4(4) Jaguars - RB Leonard Fournette, Louisiana State
5(5) Titans (from Rams) - WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan
6(6) Jets - DB Jamal Adams, Louisiana State
7(7) Chargers - WR Mike Williams, Clemson
8(8) Panthers - RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford
9(9) Bengals - WR John Ross Washington
10(10) Chiefs (from Bills) - QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
11(11) Saints - DB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State
12(12) Texans (from Browns through Eagles) - QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson
13(13) Cardinals - LB Haason Reddick, Temple
14(14) Eagles (from Vikings) - DL Derek Barnett, Tennessee
15(15) Colts - DB Malik Hooker, Ohio State
16(16) Ravens - DB Marlon Humphrey, Alabama
17(17) Redskins - DL Jonathan Allen, Alabama
18(18) Titans - DB Adoree' Jackson, Southern California
19(19) Buccaneers - TE O.J. Howard, Alabama
20(20) Broncos - OL Garett Bolles, Utah
21(21) Lions - LB Jarrad Davis, Florida
22(22) Dolphins - LB Charles Harris, Missouri
23(23) Giants - TE Evan Engram, Mississippi
24(24) Raiders - DB Gareon Conley, Ohio State
25(25) Browns (from Texans) - DB Jabrill Peppers, Michigan
26(26) Falcons (from Seahawks) - DL Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
27(27) Bills (from Chiefs) - DB Tre'Davious White, Louisiana State
28(28) Cowboys - DL Taco Charlton, Michigan
29(29) Browns (from Packers) - TE David Njoku, Miami
30(30) Steelers - LB T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
31(31) 49ers (from Seahawks through Falcons) - LB Reuben Foster, Alabama
32(32) Saints (From Patriots) - OL Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin

• Like 1

Fournette is now a Rb1

7 skill position players taken in the top 10, 2 QB and RB, 3 WR

So much for defense

It's been since 1983 (Todd Blackledge) that the Chiefs have taken a QB in the first round.

UGh...

Let's hope Mahomes works out better for them

You guys watching this draft are missing a great playoff game Bucks vs Raptors.

So many offensive players drafted so far. Didn't see this coming this early.

Sweet! Texans trade up to 12 to hopefully pick DeShaun Watson so we can watch him play this year!

Sweet! Texans trade up to 12 to hopefully pick DeShaun Watson so we can watch him play this year!

Yep, that's my guess. Gotta be Watson...

• Like 1

Good Lord, I think we all knew the NFL was QB driven, but DAMN!

• Like 1

Good Lord, I think we all knew the NFL was QB driven, but DAMN!

yeah, these teams have paid a hefty price to move up to get these QB's too. 2 firsts and a third for the one and two firsts for the other.

Two things are clear:

1) the Texans have already given up on next year's draft (giving up next year's first in this trade for Watson)

2) the Browns may have lost out on another chance to get their QB by trading with the Texans. On the plus side for them, they have the Texans' top two picks next year (HOU gave up its 2018 second-rounder in the Osweiler deal).

Two things are clear:

1) the Texans have already given up on next year's draft (giving up next year's first in this trade for Watson)

2) the Browns may have lost out on another chance to get their QB by trading with the Texans. On the plus side for them, they have the Texans' top two picks next year (HOU gave up its 2018 second-rounder in the Osweiler deal).

Teams traded ahead of them to select some QB's. perhaps what was left over was unappealing to Cleveland.

Either way, they got a decent return. I dont mind the move.

Maybe they grab Kizer late in the round or maybe they go with Osweiler this year and grab an OT or a C. I dont mind that move because I truly dont think its a good idea to start a rookie behind a leaky line. That's a good way to ruin a young QB prospect.

• Like 1

Cleveland messed up. DeShaun Watson will be a top QB in the league for years.

Cleveland messed up. DeShaun Watson will be a top QB in the league for years.

well, some of the sources I saw had given him a second round grade.

it is certainly not a sure thing. That's for sure. QB's are 50-50 prospects at the best of times. And I dont think Cleveland can afford to lose on another first round pick if they aren't sure about the kid.

My guess is they are gonna grab a QB in next year's draft.

Well, that was different - Garett Bolles holding his little baby while Suzy was interviewing him.

well, some of the sources I saw had given him a second round grade.

it is certainly not a sure thing. That's for sure. QB's are 50-50 prospects at the best of times. And I dont think Cleveland can afford to lose on another first round pick if they aren't sure about the kid.

My guess is they are gonna grab a QB in next year's draft.

I was one of those sources :lol:

Seriously, I can make a case for Watson as a late first-rounder. Mahomes and Trubisky are more pure projections. Mortgaging the future for either one when a decent if not good QB class is projected next year boggles the mind.

Like the move the Texans made.

They gave up a lot but I think they made the right move.

I was one of those sources :lol:

Seriously, I can make a case for Watson as a late first-rounder. Mahomes and Trubisky are more pure projections. Mortgaging the future for either one when a decent if not good QB class is projected next year boggles the mind.

it makes a bit more sense for Houston because they have most of the pieces they need already. but I fully agree.

Houstons line was terrible. I would rather draft a player to fill that hole and grab a QB the following year.

At least if the line is better you can protect your investment.

Ohh! ...and everyone who pick the Browns in our NFL Draft Contest as the team to trade up, just got saved.

Kizer?

Ramczyk > Malcolm Butler (???)

I would say so.

This guy could be an anchor at LT for a decade or more.

That's a lot more valuable than a good but not great CB who already has some wear and tear on him.

Only time will tell.

Well, that was different - Garett Bolles holding his little baby while Suzy was interviewing him.

Babies and puppies.

CHICK MAGNETS!!!

With guys like Bolles, Conley, Peppers, McKinley, & Charlton available... I think the Bucs really dropped the ball by selecting Howard. Tampa doesn't need TE help. A WR in the 2nd or 3rd round plus a player previously mentioned would have been more to upgrade the team than anything they can do now. Howard should be fine, I don't really doubt his potential, but this would be considered a "luxury" pick and the Bucs aren't in the position to make those.

Oh man...T.J.Watt to the Steelers?

arrrggghhhh

This pissed me off. I understand that Green Bay got a decent reason to trade out of the first round with Cleveland's offer, but I really wanted to see TJ Watt in Green and Gold.

Cleveland had an amazing first round. Got two solid players for their defense and a flat-out beast at tight end. If they can get Kizer or Webb they'd easily get an "A" draft grade this year

Cleveland had an amazing first round. Got two solid players for their defense and a flat-out beast at tight end. If they can get Kizer or Webb they'd easily get an "A" draft grade this year

If Kizer slides to them in the second, It wouldnt surprise me to see them pull the trigger on him. If that doesnt happen, maybe they sign one of the retread QB's in the free agent market.

I know Cutler and Kapernick are not highly regarded, but I'd like to think they are at least good enough to fill the gap for a year (or to push Osweiler)

at the end of the day, what you dont want to do is give a starting job to someone who hasnt earned it. A healthy competition for the starting job isnt a bad thing. Then they can draft someone next year in a draft that has more talent at QB.

If Kizer slides to them in the second, It wouldnt surprise me to see them pull the trigger on him. If that doesnt happen, maybe they sign one of the retread QB's in the free agent market.

I know Cutler and Kapernick are not highly regarded, but I'd like to think they are at least good enough to fill the gap for a year (or to push Osweiler)

at the end of the day, what you dont want to do is give a starting job to someone who hasnt earned it. A healthy competition for the starting job isnt a bad thing. Then they can draft someone next year in a draft that has more talent at QB.

FYI, I still dont mind the idea of using a pick in round 2 (or round 3) to grab an O lineman.

With a young QB at the helm, the preference is that you dont have a leaky line.

Congrats Cleveland. The Browns could be on their way to building a decent defense.

I have my doubts. Garrett was the right pick at 1, but they completely whiffed on their other 2 picks.

Peppers, omg where to begin. He's an over-hyped average college player. He stinks!! Seriously! I expect him to completely bust. He's far more interested in pot than football, clearly! I was hoping for Melifonwu at 25. He's bigger, faster, jumps higher, jumps farther, had a LOT more tackles, actually made interceptions and was a FAR better prospect!! He's better than Peppers in pretty much every measurable aspect.

Njoku is a project TE at best. He could be good, but he could flame out too. Plus, nobody else was going to select him in the 1st round. Why give up a 4th rounder when you could have selected him at 33. Stupid!!

Babies and puppies.

CHICK MAGNETS!!!

It wouldn't shock me if Goodell tried strapping babies all over himself tonight, as a boo shield. That would leave his hands free to lead several puppies, as well.