Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

Cooking geeks - Cookware advice needed

Just find a clean one, use it (without causing a fire) then toss it! :headbanger:

fock yer carbon footprint

You're a calphalon fan? Decent quality?

yeah.... and have been very durable. i have a set of caphalon, but also many from different brands. i tend to like stainless for the sear, but stainless can be tougher to clean. non-stick is more user-friendly for casual home cooking.

yeah.... and have been very durable. i have a set of caphalon, but also many from different brands. i tend to like stainless for the sear, but stainless can be tougher to clean. non-stick is more user-friendly for casual home cooking.

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

Some people were telling me to get ceramic. Any thoughts?

pluses and minuses....

it can hold high heat well, easy to clean, can be microwave safe, can be versatile

heavier/bulkier, not as durable, can wear an electric stove top, may contain lead.

i have not used ceramic often. i think it does well in the oven. prefer other materials for stovetop

For sux I'd definitely say non-stick or the anodized sets. Doubt he will do a lot of fancy cooking. Now if he's looking for something like that then disregard this post. But you can prob find a decent set of pots and pans at Walmart for $70-$120

pluses and minuses....

it can hold high heat well, easy to clean, can be microwave safe, can be versatile

heavier/bulkier, not as durable, can wear an electric stove top, may contain lead.

i have not used ceramic often. i think it does well in the oven. prefer other materials for stovetop

Question answered. thank you :thumbsup:

Pick out your favorite one from the links for me to buy this weekend.

Question answered. thank you :thumbsup:

Pick out your favorite one from the links for me to buy this weekend.

those three sets are pretty good and reasonable. check them out and read reviews. you got this! i believe i listed one stainless and two non-stick. think about which way you want to go. maybe non-stick, and get yourself one 12" stainless saute pan separately.

shoot..... i added wrong stainless up there. i don't love the shape of the saute pans...too deep. i like a bigger angle. better for flipping/tossing.

i would go with a set of non-stick and get a 10" or 12" stainless

some better stainless sets:

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Classic-Stainless-Cookware-10-Piece/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498865899&sr=1-1&keywords=calphalon+stainless+steel+cookware

https://www.amazon.com/Select-Calphalon-Stainless-10-piece-Cookware/dp/B01KBVHRP8/ref=sr_1_33?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498866209&sr=1-33&keywords=calphalon+stainless+steel+cookware

shoot..... i added wrong stainless up there. i don't love the shape of the saute pans...too deep. i like a bigger angle. better for flipping/tossing.

i would go with a set of non-stick and get a 10" or 12" stainless

some better stainless sets:

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Classic-Stainless-Cookware-10-Piece/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498865899&sr=1-1&keywords=calphalon+stainless+steel+cookware

https://www.amazon.com/Select-Calphalon-Stainless-10-piece-Cookware/dp/B01KBVHRP8/ref=sr_1_33?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498866209&sr=1-33&keywords=calphalon+stainless+steel+cookware

So get one of the Calphalon sets and get a couple stainless to boot?

For sux I'd definitely say non-stick or the anodized sets. Doubt he will do a lot of fancy cooking. Now if he's looking for something like that then disregard this post. But you can prob find a decent set of pots and pans at Walmart for $70-$120

True...I don't do fancy cooking, but my heterosexual life partner / firestarter / gypsybrat does.

Great chef, imo :thumbsup:

It would be nice for him to have something decent to cook with

yeah. depends on what you will be cooking, but i think for everyday use the non-stick will work well. i like the stainless for harder sears (seafood and chicken)

Caphalon cookwear

Weber Grills

Michelin Tires

I'm a fairly cheap mofo, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Caphalon cookwear

Weber Grills

Michelin Tires

I'm a fairly cheap mofo, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

That's funny in the aspect of I'm currently shopping for new tires and only want the exact same Michelins that I have on my truck right now\

I have a this Webber Grill https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/43/26/f04326005b6cce269a2019c376529dc8.jpg That I won't ever trade in

Guess I'm buying Caphalon cookware.

Thanx guys :thumbsup:

ETA: Yes...You do get what you pay for. I live by that motto

while i do not have a weber grill, i also drive michelins (pilot super sports)

Weber Grills

I'm starting to think grilling is the way to go all year round, fewer dishes. :thumbsup:

I'm starting to think grilling is the way to go all year round, fewer dishes. :thumbsup:

I love grilling for convenience. However, I also like smoking, sautéeing, frying and baking depending on situation. Finding the right cooking method for the situation is fun for me

yeah. depends on what you will be cooking, but i think for everyday use the non-stick will work well. i like the stainless for harder sears (seafood and chicken)

This thread has been helpful. The wife loves to cook and was looking at some stainless (she has all Calphalon non-stick currently); think we'll just get a large stainless saute pan. :cheers:

My wife and I have a cheap set pots/pans set, but we have slowly been replacing a piece occasionally with a top end piece. Of all the pieces so far that we have upgraded the best purchases has been a wok and a nice 8" knife. I think our next purchase will be a large, cheap, cast iron skillet and then maybe 1-2 more high end knives.

This thread has been helpful. The wife loves to cook and was looking at some stainless (she has all Calphalon non-stick currently); think we'll just get a large stainless saute pan. :cheers:

I have a 10" le creuset for my stainless. Love it but do not use it often.

My wife and I have a cheap set pots/pans set, but we have slowly been replacing a piece occasionally with a top end piece. Of all the pieces so far that we have upgraded the best purchases has been a wok and a nice 8" knife. I think our next purchase will be a large, cheap, cast iron skillet and then maybe 1-2 more high end knives.

we have our original set from our wedding, my first set from culinary school, and a set of henckels stainless. i then started gather other blades for specific purposes. the two most used in our house are the 8" and 10" globals. excellent, light blades

we have our original set from our wedding, my first set from culinary school, and a set of henckels stainless. i then started gather other blades for specific purposes. the two most used in our house are the 8" and 10" globals. excellent, light blades

My wife and I still have our nice pot and pan set from our wedding that we haven't opened. Wife wanted to wait until we move again to open them since it's easier to move that one box with them all packed in it than having to put all of them in a new box. I honestly can't remember what kind they were. I just remember they are from Williams Sonoma

sux- did you end up getting anything?

Yea..Gypsybrat insisted on getting getting stainless steel cause he's a faggit.

I think we got this Duxtop set https://www.amazon.com/SSIB-17-Professional-Stainless-Impact-bonded-Technology/dp/B00GBUQXRW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506269148&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=duxtop+cookware&psc=1

Sux for the eggs on a skillet, but I can't cook fried eggs worth a shi1t, anyways.

I do like the strainer for teh pasta, though.

good set for the price.

for eggs, get an inexpensive teflon 8" or 10" pan

I've a Grill Master, 3 burner grill - best damn one I've ever owned.. Will reach 750* when blasted.

I have a 10" le creuset for my stainless. Love it but do not use it often.

Wife ended up getting a 12" stainless Calphalon saute pan; I think I mentioned it in the steak thread. She uses it mostly for searing meat and fish (e.g., ahi) and loves it.

Questions: Can you use stainless spatulas with stainless cookware? The rubbery stuff we have for non-stick isn't cutting it to get stuff like potstickers off of the pan. So I used a steel drywall knife which worked great.

Wife: Did you use that on my new pan? :mad:

Me: No, no, of course not, what do I look like? :unsure:

Wife: Why is it sitting by the sink with grease on it? :angry:

Me: You are beautiful when you get angry. :)

i do, but am careful with the spatula

Careful how? Can it scratch or otherwise hurt the surface?

Careful how? Can it scratch or otherwise hurt the surface?

when searing meat, i usually use tongs to flip items. when cooking seafood i use a fish spatula..... a heavier spatula can dig in and scratch the pan, so i am more careful when using one