Sign in to follow this  
edjr

The hourly income you need to afford rent around the U.S.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-much-you-need-for-rent_us_5942cc92e4b0f15cd5b9e2ee?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=lifestyle_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000032

Full-time workers who make minimum wage can’t afford a two-bedroom rental home in any state in the U.S. without spending more than the recommended 30 percent of their income, according to a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition.
The group’s annual “Out of Reach” report compares minimum wages and housing costs in states, metropolitan areas and counties across the country. This year’s results show the hourly wage rate needed for a “modest” two-bedroom rental is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in all but four states.
Arkansas has the lowest hourly income needed for a two-bedroom rental at $13.72, and the state minimum wage is $8.50, the report said. Hawaii demands the highest income of renters: Workers need to make $35.20 to rent a two-bedroom there, and the state minimum wage is just $9.25.
At federal minimum wage, the average American worker would need to log 117-hour weeks for 52 weeks per year to afford a two-bedroom apartment or rental home, according to the report. For the overwhelming majority, not even sharing a dual income with a federal minimum wage-earning partner would cover a two-bedroom rental in their state.
It’s a grim outlook similar to the group’s previous two reports, which also showed sobering disparities between income and rent. The report’s authors say poor political decisions are to blame.
“[The report] shows why millions of low income renters are struggling to afford their homes,” NLIHC president Diane Yentel said in a press release. “We have the resources to solve the affordable housing crisis in America by rebalancing federal housing expenditures to serve our country’s most vulnerable households. We lack only the political will to do so.”
Minimum wage hasn’t kept up with inflation: In 1968, the federal minimum wage was equivalent to $10.90 in 2015 dollars ― nearly $4 higher than today’s actual federal minimum wage, CNBC reports.

Full report.

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/OOR_2017.pdf

That's what I was talking about in the other thread. It's insane.

I don't know the solution.

Most of my former employees lived in flophouse motels.

You could probably make a lot of money coming up with a solution here. Like a cross between a hotel and a cheap apartment complex. Allow rent to be paid weekly, that sort of thing.

Don't have kids until you're no longer working minimum wage.

Live with parents and save your money while getting a higher paying job.

Live with roommates and save your money while getting a higher paying job.

Work two jobs and save your money until one of those jobs pays more than minimum wage.

See the pattern?

• Like 1

Work two jobs and save your money until one of those jobs pays more than minimum wage.

See the pattern?

While obviously what you say is correct, the fact remains that the cost of every single commodity has risen over the years.

Every commodity save one. Labor. Wages vs. cola have been falling for years. It's a big problem. Is there a solution? I'm nowhere near smart enough to solve it. But someone needs to.

While obviously what you say is correct, the fact remains that the cost of every single commodity has risen over the years.

Every commodity save one. Labor. Wages vs. cola have been falling for years. It's a big problem. Is there a solution? I'm nowhere near smart enough to solve it. But someone needs to.

The problem is what people's expectations are. "You deserve this" or "You deserve that"...........life is mostly what you make it and it certainly isn't fair.

Some people go through their teens and twenties wanting to party or experience life while others are busting their a$$ looking to invest in themselves for the future.

Too many people in that age group ask themselves 'what do I want to do today?' instead of 'where do I want to be tomorrow?'.

There's both positives and negatives that go along with this. The main thing is minimum was isn't meant to be the minimum amount require to pay for things. It's the minimum you can pay a person with no skills or job experience. Basically what teens and people in their early 20s make. There's also plenty of ways for people who make minimum wage to survive. Such as roommates, not having cable or internet in their home, budgeting for meals, using public transportation to get to and from your job, not having kids while you are making this little bit, etc. Invest in yourself by learning a trade or going to college. There's plenty of ways people who have no money can go to college. Financial aid and scholarships are prime examples. Problem is people are too lazy nowadays and think the world is owed to them when they aren't owed a dam thing

There's both positives and negatives that go along with this. The main thing is minimum was isn't meant to be the minimum amount require to pay for things. It's the minimum you can pay a person with no skills or job experience. Basically what teens and people in their early 20s make. There's also plenty of ways for people who make minimum wage to survive. Such as roommates, not having cable or internet in their home, budgeting for meals, using public transportation to get to and from your job, not having kids while you are making this little bit, etc. Invest in yourself by learning a trade or going to college. There's plenty of ways people who have no money can go to college. Financial aid and scholarships are prime examples. Problem is people are too lazy nowadays and think the world is owed to them when they aren't owed a dam thing

It isn't even about minimum wage. The problem is the same at any income bracket. Costs constantly go up. Wages do not. The vast majority of Americans are net poorer than they were ten to fifteen years ago.

It isn't even about minimum wage. The problem is the same at any income bracket. Costs constantly go up. Wages do not. The vast majority of Americans are net poorer than they were ten to fifteen years ago.

Wages are fine if you have a desirable skillet. If you aren't making enough improve your skillset. That's the difference between people who look at working as a job versus a career.

Is it because people aren't saving enough (if any)? That it's become ingrained to live paycheck to paycheck?

Wages are fine if you have a desirable skillet. If you aren't making enough improve your skillset. That's the difference between people who look at working as a job versus a career.

We don't need 200,000,000 doctors or lawyers though. Low skilled labor is an important part of the economy too. If these people aren't paid a living wage, while the mega corporations they work for make record profits, you and I pick up the tab. You can't just say "well people should do this and that, and we wouldn't have this problem", because that's not the reality of the situation.

We don't need 200,000,000 doctors or lawyers though. Low skilled labor is an important part of the economy too. If these people aren't paid a living wage, while the mega corporations they work for make record profits, you and I pick up the tab. You can't just say "well people should do this and that, and we wouldn't have this problem", because that's not the reality of the situation.

Who is talking about lawyers and doctors? Talk about deflecting. Please don't waste my time. EVERY job has a career path. If you are a server, work to become good enough to move up from Denny's to Ruth"s Christ. Got any idea what a server at a high end restaurant makes?

Oh, and get rid of illegals. They drive low end job wages down. But I am sure that's not an option for you.

Everyone working is paid a living wage. Does that mean they can afford a new/nice car, insurance for that new/nice car, latest cell phone, cable, rent for their own place, etc? No. Minimum wage jobs are typically entry level jobs and they need to make sacrifices until they find a higher paying job.

Problem is a good number of people want to live above their means.

...never mind.

Anybody who thinks it's easy, or that 'some people are just lazy', etc.

- they just don't get it.

sure there's them. But some of these things:

"Live at home". - What if you have no home? Too many of these half-wit answers assume their own personal experience. What if the parent is living worse than the kid? Don't get cable - oh yeah, gee thanks. Guess I won't need that since half the time I can't pay power.

It's hard even finding min wage jobs. People these days have 2 and 3 of them. And hey, good luck working if you don't live near public transport and don't have a car (much less afford insurance, plates, etc.)

All I'm saying is,it's just not easy. Harder now than maybe ever before given the difference between cola and income. This bullshiit of "if you just work hard enough" or "pull yourself up..." - You've seen one too many movies.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just asking folks to have enough sense to have empathy. - That not everyone's road is the same as yours. That some of the shiit we take for granted (leaving home with a full wardrobe, tons to furnish the house, transport, always a place to return to if it gets too tough, insurance through m&d, etc.. - ain't that for everybody.

Now bear in mind one last thing. There's a lot more, but just consider the OP. That's one month's rent. Now, try coming up with first and last plus deposits for utilities, etc.

I honestly don't know how some people do it. But they don't have my scorn, they have my respect.

• Like 1

"The Rent is too damn high!" :Mr-T:

I think it's adorable watching people lust after other people's money .....and also try to appear not to be the greedy ones.

Sorry but if you make minimum wage...there's a good reason. You probably can't afford a home..rental or not. You don't get all the bells and whistles the rest of us have. Not how it works.

See the pattern?

Isn't great to assume a better job exists for EVERY person that makes near minimum wage.. if live to live in your fantasy world

Isn't great to assume a better job exists for EVERY person that makes near minimum wage.. if live to live in your fantasy world

In my fantasy world I'd like people who act condescending to form a legible sentence.

And if people aren't capable of getting a better job than minimum wage, why should you pay them MORE per hour? And have you thought that raising the minimum wage would mean that you have to raise the wages on more skilled positions within the company and across the entire workforce after all, don't they deserve more since they're more skilled? :rolleyes:

I never understood why the minimum wage wasn't some calculation based on the average cost of living and then every 5-10 years simply recalculated to adjust to inflation. Seems pretty simple to me.

It's like they randomly set it, then randomly adjust it at random time periods.

In my fantasy world I'd like people who act condescending to form a legible sentence.

And if people aren't capable of getting a better job than minimum wage, why should you pay them MORE per hour? And have you thought that raising the minimum wage would mean that you have to raise the wages on more skilled positions within the company and across the entire workforce after all, don't they deserve more since they're more skilled? :rolleyes:

Look guys! He got me for fat fingering my mini phone keyboard!!! He showed me

Everything is so simple and black and white to conservatives. You would think they would be able to get more accomplished, than starting wars and recessions.

Look guys! He got me for fat fingering my mini phone keyboard!!! He showed me

So take your time before ranting.

Address the other portion about having to raise more than just the minimum wage.

Even if you're going to tie minimum wage to a living wage, shouldn't the federal minimum be the lowest living wage in the entire country? IE a living wage in Bumfock Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc?

Trying to tie federal minimum wage to a living wage in a major city is asinine.

Even if you're going to tie minimum wage to a living wage, shouldn't the federal minimum be the lowest living wage in the entire country? IE a living wage in Bumfock Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc?

This is true.

The article says all but 4 states. And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that a person working minimum wage should be able to afford a two bedroom apartment on their own. I'm just suggesting that it shouldn't be more than double.

"he hourly wage rate needed for a “modest” two-bedroom rental is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in all but four states."

Price cap on rentals depending on the region/area you live in would be a great solution. There is no reason a sh!tty run down apartment should cost 1,300 just outside of Orlando.

Price cap on rentals depending on the region/area you live in would be a great solution. There is no reason a sh!tty run down apartment should cost 1,300 just outside of Orlando.

I like where you are going with this. I also think new trucks are too expensive. I would like to upgrade from my old crappy honda civic to a new Tundra or F150, but can't justify the cost.

Maybe the government can cap new truck prices at 20k. :banana:

Part of the problem is our government manipulation of the housing market for decades.

Easy damn near free mortgages to anyone who could fog a mirror made building more apartments make little sense, as most people would prefer to "own" a home.

Then that's imploded and people need places to live. There weren't enough rentals.

My father was one of the first flippers in his market. Make a killing over the last thirty years doing it.

When the mortgage bubble burst, he just started renting them instead, since buyers were harder to get qualified. Rents have gone up at a pretty good clip in the last decade.

Isn't it great to randomly decide who has too much money? And that they should somehow give that to other people despite their skill level and education they have put into themselves. I'll never understand this fantasy world.... where you get to say you don't have enough and want other people's money and somehow not come off as the greedy ones.

Isn't it great to randomly decide who has too much money? And that they should somehow give that to other people despite their skill level and education they have put into themselves. I'll never understand this fantasy world.... where you get to say you don't have enough and want other people's money and somehow not come off as the greedy ones.

You generally strike me as one of the more reasonable conservatives. So I'll ask a question.

First, in a vacuum, I would agree with you.

But would you agree that the wealthy interests, however you wish to define that, have pretty well stacked the deck at this point? They own the government. The media. The banks. Mom and pop business has largely died to big boxes and chains.

I just don't think you can pretend we live in a true capitalism, where there is true competition anymore. Dog eat dog doesn't work if some of the dogs have machine guns and the ability to use them.

Bad metaphor, but you get it.

This is a non-issue for the most part. Almost no one makes minimum wage. Even in the poorer Texas communities you see gas stations starting out people at 10 dollars an hour. Raising minimum wage too high would only cause inflation and would not help anyone.

Homelessness has gone down significantly in America. Increased access to housing for the poor has actually been one of the major accomplishments of America over the last few decades. No where in that article does it mention that, instead it paints a doom and gloom picture because that gets the headlines.

The article says all but 4 states. And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that a person working minimum wage should be able to afford a two bedroom apartment on their own. I'm just suggesting that it shouldn't be more than double.

"he hourly wage rate needed for a “modest” two-bedroom rental is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in all but four states."

According to the full report, the amount is based on the 40th percentile of rent. Meaning 40% in the entire state go for less.

So if you're talking about MINIMUM living wage, it's going to be substantially lower.

Also this is a non-issue for the most part. Almost no one makes minimum wage, I just looked the stats up. Even in the poorer Texas communities you see gas stations starting out people at 10 dollars an hour. You cannot just raise minimum wage, what do you do with all the people that make more than that. Raising the minimum wage too high across the board would only cause inflation and would not help the poor people out.

Homelessness has gone down significantly in America. Increased access to housing for the poor has actually been one of the major accomplishments of America over the last few decades. No where in that article does it mention that, instead it paints a doom and gloom picture because that gets the headlines.

I will agree with your first statement. When I was running the restaurant, minimum wage was mostly what people made during the first month or so as a probationary period. Within a month they were raised up or fired.

Unless they were actually a desireable candidate in the first place, in which case I started them off at higher than minimum.

You generally strike me as one of the more reasonable conservatives. So I'll ask a question.

First, in a vacuum, I would agree with you.

But would you agree that the wealthy interests, however you wish to define that, have pretty well stacked the deck at this point? They own the government. The media. The banks. Mom and pop business has largely died to big boxes and chains.

I just don't think you can pretend we live in a true capitalism, where there is true competition anymore. Dog eat dog doesn't work if some of the dogs have machine guns and the ability to use them.

Bad metaphor, but you get it.

Yeah I hear you...and you're right..they do...I just can't see how we raise the bar as a society by taking from successful people...people that have invested in their educations and skills...and trickle that to low skill, uneducated folks.

Ma and Pa stores are dying...but...aren't brick and mortar stores dying now as well to online?

But let me ask you...and I'm serious..I'm curious.....my wife is a doctor, spent years in expensive schooling, works insane hours and has a skill set working with robotics to help women.....tell me why Suzy the McDonald's worker, who dropped out... is entitled to her money?

It's a tough slope IMO to start throwing out WHO makes too much money....by what standard? I'm curious to what the view is opposing that is.

Yeah I hear you...and you're right..they do...I just can't see how we raise the bar as a society by taking from successful people...people that have invested in their educations and skills...and trickle that to low skill, uneducated folks.

Ma and Pa stores are dying...but...aren't brick and mortar stores dying now as well to online?

But let me ask you...and I'm serious..I'm curious.....my wife is a doctor, spent years in expensive schooling, works insane hours and has a skill set working with robotics to help women.....tell me why Suzy the McDonald's worker, who dropped out... is entitled to her money?

It's a tough slope IMO to start throwing out WHO makes too much money....by what standard? I'm curious to what the view is opposing that is.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. There probably isn't one. This is the same thing that has brought down many nations in the past. Everything seems to flow into the hands of a few, and eventually, a revolution happens of some such.

I've had the opportunity to see a few other countries in the last couple years a little closer up, and they all have the same problem. A tiny clique at the top owns everything and dominates everything via corruption and force.

I don't want to see America accept that fate. The middle class is what made this country exceptional, and its dying. Slowly, and hopefully reversably, but it doesn't look good.

I'm not one to begrudge a man what he earned. Hell, my stepfather is a multimillionaire with no college degree. Earned every penny by being smart and disciplined. But even he says it's insane that he pays a lower percentage of his income in taxes than his secretaries do (real estate, easy to game).

I'm not saying "eat the rich" or anything, but damn, you gotta leave some crumbs for the little guy.

For what it is worth I sort of agree with you, except for the most part the people that own those apartments and rental houses are normal people. My in-laws have a couple rentals and my wife and I are going to get into rental business within the next 5 years. I would not be happy with the government creating a law that could cap my profits.

I am surprised that you stated this as well. That is sort of the ultimate socialist solution to housing and most your other statements are not socialist.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. There probably isn't one. This is the same thing that has brought down many nations in the past. Everything seems to flow into the hands of a few, and eventually, a revolution happens of some such.

I've had the opportunity to see a few other countries in the last couple years a little closer up, and they all have the same problem. A tiny clique at the top owns everything and dominates everything via corruption and force.

I don't want to see America accept that fate. The middle class is what made this country exceptional, and its dying. Slowly, and hopefully reversably, but it doesn't look good.

I'm not one to begrudge a man what he earned. Hell, my stepfather is a multimillionaire with no college degree. Earned every penny by being smart and disciplined. But even he says it's insane that he pays a lower percentage of his income in taxes than his secretaries do (real estate, easy to game).

I'm not saying "eat the rich" or anything, but damn, you gotta leave some crumbs for the little guy.

True......I just struggle leaving crumbs to people who more often than not have put themselves in the situation where they are poor. But yes....also silly to let people struggle when we as a nation have plenty.

I like where you are going with this. I also think new trucks are too expensive. I would like to upgrade from my old crappy honda civic to a new Tundra or F150, but can't justify the cost.

Maybe the government can cap new truck prices at 20k. :banana:

You don't need a truck, people need a place to live.