Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Have you had an experience with an nfl player?

I went to Mississippi State and did get to guard Eric Moulds in the turf room for one play in the turf room after their practice. I fell down when he juked!

Jerry Rice walked across my tennis court three years ago and I ended up giving his daughter a 30 minute tennis lesson in Mississippi.

Just curious about other run-ins you guys have had.

It's a slow day not that all the exciting posts have been deleted!

Joe Jacoby, Redskins guard moved into my neighborhood when he was a rookie (and moved out with his next contract). My first son was about 4 months old and I used to take him for a walk in his stroller every day after work. There was a light pole in front of Joe's house. I used to take my son out of his stroller and lift him slowly up the pole and he thought he was climbing it. Joe came out one day and did the same with him except Joe could get him about 3 feet higher. Joe had such a good time with it that it became nearly a daily ritual. Joe was a great guy and I got to know several of the Skins through him. :ninja:

I'm was an athletic trainer for the LSU football team during the championship year. I ran into NFL players and coaches all the time. I was also the trainer for DBs, so I was always within 10 feet of Saban. :ninja:

Paul Gruber-gaurd from tampa bay(now retired). He was my son's old in-line hockey coach.

Jamal White-rb who use to play with cleveland and then tampa bay and now hes with detroit or something use to live in my neighboorhood.

this thread title opens up a big door for this thread going south. I have met a few here and there and I peronally know one current NFLer (extended family).

Reggie White came and preached at my church when I lived in New Jersey, and I got to meet him.

As expected, he was a really nice guy.

You don't realize how big these NFL players are, until you actually see them up-close, in real life.

Years ago I used to wait tables. I served Deion Sanders. He was a little on the cocky side at that time. He was wearing a mustard yellow suit. This was maybe his 2nd or 3rd season in Atlanta when he was Prime Time. He asked for a milk shake after dinner (this was a family type restaurant-bar) and then complained that someone tried to spike it with alcohol, which wasn't the case.

My step dad worked briefly with June Jones and Jones used to call my house all the time looking for him.

I did a profile on Mack Strong as a student. Nice guy and very grounded. I can see why he's the leader of that locker room in Seattle.

One of my friends used to play intramural basketball with Hines Ward, Jermaine Phillips and a bunch of other guys. He said Ward wasn't much of an athlete compared to many (speaks a lot to Ward's heart and toughness) but Phillips was a great athlete.

In the mid 70's I lived up the street from a then current Eagle player. I now live a few blocks from a recent Eagles player and in and around my surrounding neighborhood there are quite a few Flyers and assorted other sports personalities. I sat next to Keith Primeau at a diner a short while ago. But never had any actual run ins.

Bud Grant offered to be a witness to a car accident my father was involved in. I was in the back seat, but since I was only 7, I didn't know who the hell Bud Grant was.

Though not an NFL'er, I once sold a portable CD player to ex-Red Reggie Sanders. Curiously, he didn't by an extended warranty with it.

I totally forgot that I played steve largent in tennis in Tulsa growing up late 80's. The guy is much better than average. Congressman Largent that is - or used to be.

My dad met William Henderson (Packers FB) at a store in Milwaukee once. My dad had him sign birthday cards for us, even though it wasn't our birthday. Said he was a really nice guy. Very down to earth.

I ran into Hugh Douglas in the hip hop section of the Cherry Hill NJ Tower Records...I perpetrated like I actually liked Hip Hop and he was a pretty nice guy overall....I capped it by saying to him "Ill catch up with you"....My friends thought I was a clown.

Many Years ago I ran into Ricky Watters at the Macys in the same area with his gorgeous blonde GF...He was a jerk.

DMac I have seen at the mall and the Moorestown Acme a few times late at night...He was pretty cool.

Played college with

Wayne Chrebet,

Dave Fiore,

Lance Shulters,

Demingo Graham,

I also played against:

Chad Pennington (he was the back up at Marshall, he didn't actually play)

Randy Moss ( He transferred to Marshal that year, was in street clothes, but he was on the sidelines) <_<

Rich Owens - DE form a number of teams ( lehigh I think he

Bo Orlando's brother -- (Rhode Island), I played WR - he almost broke my ribs, there was stoppage of play cause I needed time to get up :thumbsup:

Partied with Michael Strahan ( he and Chrebet becmae friends) and went to Wayne's retirement party, and there were a boat load of NFL players there

Went to school with James Campen..

(ex-packer center for a couple seasons)

Not very exciting, huh? :thumbsup:

I know a kicker. We play basketball when he's in town and I'm good friends with his brother.

and yes I know kickers aren't real NFL players

Not an NFL player but worth mentioning....I once had Charles Barkely buy our whole table drinks and dinner after talking to him for about 5 minutes. He was a really cool guy and must have dropped 2-3K buying damn near everyone in the place drinks and food.

Class act :banana:

Have you had an experience with an nfl player?

Only once, but it was a long time ago and I really needed the money. :unsure:

Seriously though - I've met several, but the only "experience" I had was while working room service at a SF Bay area hotel. Chicago Bears were staying there and playing the Niners the next day. This was mid-1980s, I believe 1985.

I was amazed, because they were partying like crazy - I couldn't believe they were going to play the next day. Some of the best tips I'd ever had for a single night of work. McMahon seemed plowed, William "the fridge" Perry had me bring a case of light beer up to his room, etc etc. Only one I didn't meet was Payton...not surprising.

They went on to beat the Niners the next day and to this day I wonder how the hell they did that.

Maybe the Niners partied the night before too...

Used to run into Raiders all the time back when I was a youngster.. mostly at Basketball games and a few at a Bar that a relative owned. John Matusak, Cliff Branch, Chester, Mark VanEgan (sp), Kenny Stabler and a few others. Generally they were pretty accessible and friendly, got a few autos and such.

Had much more exposure to baseball players, Sal Bando, Jackson, Alou, Ray Fosse etc... as a kid.. then later when I worked for the A's themselves had day to day dealings with many of the mid-90's players and visiting team.

Jeff George came to my old high school and threw a football through a tire on a rope?

mike furrey is currently some backup choad for st. louis or detroit or wherever. I used to whip his ass in school and take his lunch money, later on he started dating my girlfriend's brother so I had to be nice to him.

had late night drinks with nick saban at his house(michigan state years) he got his kid out of bed and showed me his long snapping abilities. u just knew nick was going to be huge.

one of my good friends lives next door to jags receiver reggie williams... we hung out for a while..also i see jimmy smith and fred taylor often and we talk.. i did see dan marino on vacation, i spoke to him but nothing big.

one of my good friends lives next door to jags receiver reggie williams... we hung out for a while..also i see jimmy smith and fred taylor often and we talk.. i did see dan marino on vacation, i spoke to him but nothing big.

did he ever pull tubes with Reggie? :mellow:

I was with a big group in Phoenix and we bowled in the lane next to TO. He was with his wife, and a little man and his girlfriend. He was really a nice guy. I think he was rehabbing his ankle in the Tempe Sports Complex where McNabb works out. He kept to himself and signed a half dozen or so autographs when he was done. His name on the video board was "Webslinger". I have no idea what that meant.

I also was at the 1998 (I think) Rose Bowl between Arizona State and Ohio State. It was the year Plummer almost lead them to the National Title. After the game we went to Moose McGillacuddy's (sp?) in Pasadena. After being there about an hour, 2 tour buses pull up, and Bruce Snyder and the entire team come into the bar. We were drinking Tequila shots with Juan Roque who was an O-lineman with the Lions for awhile. This was not a good idea. We met Plummer, but he was drinking it up and working the ladies who were there. We also sat in a booth and talked with Pat Tillman for awhile. He was very different. He certainly had a different perspective on football, the NFL, and life in general. It was a good time other than ASU lost the friggin' game!

Smoked a fattie with Charles Rogers and Jeff Smoker a few years back...

I'd like a fatty right now :huh: - I'm out :wall:

Jim Plunkett use to jog by my grandmas house all the time.....stoped him once, when i was like 8-10years old, and he signed a football card for me.

Godfather defended Geogia Frountaturie (sp?) husband on tax evasion charges....he be came good friends with John Shaw some how.....i got to sit in the owners box at the Big A 3 times....got on the field once...guys who i remeber that were nice to a nervous kid....Betis as a rookie....heny ellard was cool....Pace was so big i didnt dare go near

waited on carl peterson a bunch of times at a Kansas City Tony Romas.

Moe Williams had a personal assistant that worked with me at the BBB in south florda......he had the white dude with him all the time...they had promised that who ever made it, the other would hook it up....they friggin just rode around in limos and boned hot chicks all off season....signed a card for me...but never got an invite, to what i heard were crazy parties

Waited on TO at The Cheese Cake Factory in san jose 2x....Thai Lettuce Wraps FTW....always with a chunky white chick...(wife?)

At same place....Friggin Mike Singletary (sp) was in the section next to mine with other 49er coaches....he looked at me and i craped myself

At same place.. Branded Lyod forgot his wallet and my manager made him leave and go get it...when he came back, he was pissed...."do you know who I am?"....we had all had told the manger he just sent a 49er to get his money....hes like"I dont know and dont care who you are, got your credit card?"....lol... he hates football

I used to work for the Kansas City Chiefs back in college during the summers. I worked on a student work crew that cleaned the players' rooms, manned the information desks, etc. I also did grounds work for them for two summers. Had quite a few run-ins with the players, but a couple that stand out are:

Carried Derrick Thomas' luggage (including his shoulder pads, which were freakin' heavy!) up 3 flights of stairs for him. He tipped me $10, although I refused the offer at first. He insisted, saying, 'I never would have made it up here without you, please take it!' So I did. Hey, I was a poor college student! :thumbsup:

Drank a shot of peppermint schnapps with Joe Montana in a bar in town. He was hanging out with players and had to get back to the dorms before curfew. He recognized me and a couple of other workers and ordered a quick round and downed it with us on his way out. :unsure:

I also got Montana and Marcus Allen to sign a Chiefs hat for me during one of the practices. I was really nervous asking them and felt like I was taking advantage of the fact that I worked for the Chiefs, but they were really cool about it. Even gave me a real NFL football. Those things are massive compared to the ones they sell in the stores! I can barely grip the thing!

Played HS Football and Baseball against former Bruin/Redskin/Bear RB Skip Hicks.

Got to meet former Dallas WR Drew Pearson a few years ago. He is a great guy and a class act.

This one here is a reach....but my brother-in-law used to work with Nathan Vasher's uncle. :thumbsdown:

No real good stories. Got to meet Tom Landry and Tony Dungy through my job. Both were giving spiritually-oriented speeches. Joked with Dungy about him not getting a shot to QB in the NFL.

Worked the Bears training camps in 1986 and '87 so I got to meet some of the players, but only got close to Sweetness (my all-time favorite player) during warm-ups and didn't want to bother him. I've missed several opportunities by respecting a little privacy. Oh, well.

Met some of the early-1990s Packers at a charity basketball game. Brian Noble was kind of a jerk to me at the time, but I think he had places to be and people to see. Heckuva scout.

My 2 cousins are married to John Randle and Todd Bouman. So I get to meet them from time to time at family functions. John's a great guy, just hilarious to be around. Worst golfer I've ever seen though. Todd's a scratch golfer and impressive to watch.

As a kid, my neighbor was Mike Sweatman. Special Teams coach for the Vikes at that time. He then went to New York and worked under Parcells for years.

I also have hunted with Greg Olson, former Braves catcher and 1 time All-star.

My 1st cousin was a 2nd round pick and very good special-teamer for the Oilers in the late 80's early 90's

I used to be pretty tight with a first-round bust from the Lions a few years ago (our wives were best friends)

I hung out with Walter Payton for a half-hour or so when I was a little kid

Once got drunk with Ron Dayne

Nijah Davenport & I used to hang together back in the day....man those were some wild times. One time I got so tanked I crapped in some chick's hamper...poor Nijah got blamed for that one, and I never said a word. Ah well - I'm sure people have forgotten all about that one by now. :thumbsup:

The Kansas City Chiefs come to River Falls, WI for training camp. I live there. Well a couple years ago after practice I ran in to Priest we talked for what seemed like 10 minutes, very cool guy. I told him that he was on my fantasy team and he better be as good as he was the previous year. It was really cool!

Side note, back in 98 I went to the Pro Bowl i got Kimble Anders autograph if you remember that guy. It was actually really funny cuz the vallet parking guy lost his rent a car keys so he was gettin pissed but then after waiting there forever it all got worked out and he signed somethign for me... But the WAY COOLER part of the story, I actually met Chris Berman later that nite, he was w/ Chris Mortenson and that crew. and he signed a map for me Jesse, You Could Go All The Way - Chris Berman.......that was really cool I was only in like 6 or 7th grade so I was amazed.