Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeMiniMe

SouthPark and censorship...

CNN Link

Once again people feel the need to tell others what is and isn't "suitable" for viewing. When will these losers realize that they don't have to watch cartoons? Don't they realize that by targeting the religion bashing, they are giving more life to it? When I don't like something on TV (like American Idol), I DON'T WATCH IT!!!

I understand that a Super Bowl halftime show may be viewed by people that were not expecting to see a 40-year old t!ttie, and that should not be allowed, but when someone watches SouthPark or Family Guy, they expect the kind of material that is being created. A parent shouldn't be allowing their children to watch these shows if it worries them. Censorship Sucks!

CNN Link

Once again people feel the need to tell others what is and isn't "suitable" for viewing. When will these losers realize that they don't have to watch cartoons? Don't they realize that by targeting the religion bashing, they are giving more life to it? When I don't like something on TV (like American Idol), I DON'T WATCH IT!!!

I understand that a Super Bowl halftime show may be viewed by people that were not expecting to see a 40-year old t!ttie, and that should not be allowed, but when someone watches SouthPark or Family Guy, they expect the kind of material that is being created. A parent shouldn't be allowing their children to watch these shows if it worries them. Censorship Sucks!

This isn't an issue of religion. It's about Comedy Central and other outlets not having the balls to dish out satire of Islam and Muhommad. This is not an issue of "suitable" viewing.

I don't want to get into a long thing on the subject, but the Jesus stuff was pretty offensive, I thought, and I don't get bent out of shape over every little thing.........

Instead of censorship, enough people should be turned off by it, then they wouldn't have the viewership to support it being there in the first place. If that reflects what culture is willing to accept, censoring doesn't fight a mindset.

This isn't an issue of religion. It's about Comedy Central and other outlets not having the balls to dish out satire of Islam and Muhommad. This is not an issue of "suitable" viewing.

Yeah, 'we can't do Mohammed yet they'll let us do Jesus', or something of the sort. That appears to have been the point.

I don't want to get into a long thing on the subject, but the Jesus stuff was pretty offensive, I thought, and I don't get bent out of shape over every little thing.........

do you think they should have censored the Jesus stuff?

Guest Mr.T

That's not at all what he is saying.

No, they shouldn't have censored the Jesus stuff and they shouldn't have censored showing Muhammed

That's not at all what he is saying.

then what is he saying, me no comprende :banana:

No, they shouldn't have censored the Jesus stuff and they shouldn't have censored showing Muhammed

agreed :bench:

Guest Mr.T
then what is he saying, me no comprende :bench:

Me thinks I misread his post and maybe that's what he was saying afterall.

I can see how Jesus fans would be extremely offended but I feel Muslims/Mormons/Jews/Scientologists/etcetera should all be crapped on with equal indifference.

Which is why they wrote it in, it is very offensive. The point was "we can't show an image of Mohammad, but we can show a picture of Jesus sh!tting on the president and the flag?!?" Why does the Islamic faith get special consideration over Christianity and the United States? It was not to make a negative statement about the President, America or Jesus. It was a bold and offensive move, but it was to draw attention to an intersting issue. Freedom should allow a man to practice Islam just as much as it should allow another to man to openly criticize Islam.

Freedom of speech and censorship do not apply in these situations. Just because a company decided not to show something on their station does not restrict you or any other American to freely express the same ideas. This would be the equivalent of saying that Coca-Cola is censoring free speech if they didn't allow their workers to wear a Pepsi shirt. It their company, they can do what they want (except for the actions that are clearly defined as illegal).

Freedom of speech and censorship do not apply in these situations. Just because a company decided not to show something on their station does not restrict you or any other American to freely express the same ideas. This would be the equivalent of saying that Coca-Cola is censoring free speech if they didn't allow their workers to wear a Pepsi shirt. It their company, they can do what they want (except for the actions that are clearly defined as illegal).

Correct. While the message of the show may have addressed censorship and the 1st ammendment, the real world issues are hypocrisy and terrorism. The hypocrisy of Comedy Central, which will air a carton in which Jesus craps on the President, but not an innocuous appearance by a faux Mohammed. Why? At least in part because Comedy Central isn't too concerned that Christian groups will display their rage by killing innocent bystanders. Extremist Islamic groups, on the other hand, might. And that is the definition of terrorism: to scare; to coerce by threat, violence, or the threat of violence.

Extremist Islamic groups, on the other hand, might. And that is the definition of terrorism: to scare; to coerce by threat, violence, or the threat of violence.

The terrorists are winning. :thumbsup: :first:

:lol: And what about those episodes where they trashed NAMBLA and The Super Adventure Club? Who thought that this was completely unnecessary and offensive?!!? :wub:

umm...Me Neither!!!

The CNN link that I attached to the original post makes the entire story into a "Religion vs. SouthPark" battle. I guess my point is that by having a ranting lunatic on Fox "News" calling Matt Stone and Trey Parker "Whores" only fans the flames and makes people more interested in watching what the would-be censors are trying to squash. Also, Comedy Central is being two-faced about what is suitable to televise. I guess since Libraries aren't corporations, we don't have to worry about what is "suitable" to read? Toro's post regarding Corporations (capital "C" like "G" in God) doing what is best for their own entity is absolutely correct, but this is decided from a purely financial point of view. The only two groups that run America are organized religion and Corporations. Corporations will ALWAYS do what is right for the Corporation; religion will always do what they feel is right in their little world. It doesn't bode well for unpopular voices.

I think Fumble was saying that he didn't necessarily like the Jesus stuff, but he didn't get all bent out of shape about it, and he thinks the Islamic people shold do the same... if that's what he meant, I agree.

Look, I wish there wasn't such a market for it, I wish people didn't enjoy just trashing and making fun of other groups while getting up on a soap box and complaining about people who complain. But, there is a market for it, and as long as Comedy Central shows stuff making fun of Jesus and Jews, but not of Scientoligists and Muslims, they are encouraging the tactics of those groups.

Why does the Islamic faith get special consideration over Christianity and the United States? It was not to make a negative statement about the President, America or Jesus.

Cuz there's some crazy mutha's in that Islamic group.

Seriously though...

We seem to be more than willing to group ALL followers of Islam in with the nut job terrorists who claim to be followers of Islam ...

but, I don't recall ever seeing ALL Christians being associated with Tim McVeigh or the abortion bomber guy, or even ALL Catholics being associated with the IRA.

Why the group mentality for only Islamics?

Seriously though...

We seem to be more than willing to group ALL followers of Islam in with the nut job terrorists who claim to be followers of Islam ...

but, I don't recall ever seeing ALL Christians being associated with Tim McVeigh or the abortion bomber guy, or even ALL Catholics being associated with the IRA.

The group mentality is because very few Arabs are out there denouncing the lunatics who are beheading people they don't agree with, school children and reporters. MOST Christians abhorred Tim McVeigh, MOST Catholics loudly condemned the IRAs' murdering ways.

The crux of this thread that religion rules this country-- it does not. Pron(sic) can be found at the click of a button. You saw the episode w/ Jesus ---NO ONE STOPPED YOU. Howard Stern is making money hand over fist. People decry that censorship is taking over yet will get angry at a different point of view being expressed. Just because some "lunatic" tells you not to watch something doesn't mean you can't

Censorship stops you BEFORE you can or punishes you AFTER.

I don't think you're properly reading the post(s) above you. I don't see any generizations here (for the most part), the issue is that Comedy Central allows episodes that make fun of Christians and Jews and nobody says anything, but as soon as they point the finger towards Islam/Muhamed, people get antsy/afraid. I don't think anybody has said that it's because all Muslims are violent, but moreso because the Muslim blacklash is feared.

South Park= :clap: :first: . Matt and Trey are just sitting back and cracking up at all the sensitive morons out there who take actual offense to jokes on a cartoon.

Censorship= :wacko: :mad: :wall: . Do people in the Middle east even get comedy central, who the fock cares.

Seriously though...

Uh, maybe because it's not just the nutjobs who protested the showing of Muhammed in the newspapers. Did you not see the hundreds of thousands of muslims who tried to burn down embassies and protested the showing of muhammed in newspapers? And maybe it's because many of their high clerics advocate violence and teach it to their students. Did you not hear the leader in Iran who said they would destroy Israel? The Muslim faith is centuries behind other religions when it comes to tolerance and their belief in violence towards other religions. They have proven it repeatedly, and not just by flying a couple of planes into the WTC.

good thread. I have nothing to add, most points have been made. I like South Park and Jesus so I was watching and did not laugh at thier little song/show at the end, but the point that it is for some reason ok to make fun of Jesus and the president of the US and NOT mohammed is well taken.

Censored? No.

I was just stating that it was very offensive to a lot of people. Jesus is a person/being of tremendous importance in the lives of many people. I understand that they were using the image to demonstrate irony/satire. I just wish it could have been done a different way.

Censored? No.

I was just stating that it was very offensive to a lot of people. Jesus is a person/being of tremendous importance in the lives of many people. I understand that they were using the image to demonstrate irony/satire. I just wish it could have been done a different way.

I'm sure he laughs in the face of president-pooping after that crucifixion thingy. He holds the title belt in martyrdom - I think if anyone can handle a little cartoon satire he can.

I think we all agree that censorship is not a great thing. But after all the violence that happened in Europe over those ridiculous Muhammed cartoons, it's obvious what's going on here.

The censors don't think it's worth inciting serious violence just to make a few cheap jokes on a tv show.

Uh, maybe because it's not just the nutjobs who protested the showing of Muhammed in the newspapers. Did you not see the hundreds of thousands of muslims who tried to burn down embassies and protested the showing of muhammed in newspapers? And maybe it's because many of their high clerics advocate violence and teach it to their students. Did you not hear the leader in Iran who said they would destroy Israel? The Muslim faith is centuries behind other religions when it comes to tolerance and their belief in violence towards other religions. They have proven it repeatedly, and not just by flying a couple of planes into the WTC.

There are many peaceful and kind Muslims. Still, their prophet was a warrior. It is a religion founded by a conquoring emperor. He is the antithesis of what Jesus stood for.

I think we all agree that censorship is not a great thing. But after all the violence that happened in Europe over those ridiculous Muhammed cartoons, it's obvious what's going on here.

The censors don't think it's worth inciting serious violence just to make a few cheap jokes on a tv show.

The only problem is that if you are not showing Mo out of respect for the religion vs. fear of unwarranted reprocussions from a small faction of loonies that wave a flag of religion as a get out of jail free card for murder.

I'm all for free speech, but at this point showing images of Muhammad could be regarded as deliberately antagonistic.

Yes, deliberately antagonistic speech generally is and should be protected. I'm not going to say that anyone shouldn't publish images of Muhammad.

Still, it goes to motive. At what point is one legitimately asserting a right to free speech and at what point is it just deliberately offending people?

Each speaker must decide for themselves.

In this case, the 'speaker' is comprised of both the South Park people and Comedy Central. This results in the conflict.

I'm all for free speech, but at this point showing images of Muhammad could be regarded as deliberately antagonistic.

I agree. That's probably how the Muslims would have taken it - as being deliberately antagonistic. In this particular case, it's seems like good judgement on Comedy Central's part. Even though they have the legal right to show pictures of Muhammed, they chose not to exercise that right. This isn't censorship by the government, it's self-censorship.

There are many peaceful and kind Muslims.

When did they start to become peaceful and kind? I need to see proof of this metamorphosis.

I'm guessing that Comedy Central would just rather not have some fundamentalist nutjob bomb their offices for showing Muhammed.

CNN Link

Just to add a thought to this: No one likes something important to them mocked. It's almost like you are saying here that people who are Christian or Muslim or whatever should have no response whatsover.

By objecting to content of a television program, they are also exercising free speech also. Most of the people upset by it are not upset because it's bad for their "kids". They're upset because it is very disrespectful and irreverant. Again, I'm not saying things should be censored. But, I think it would be nice if the same people who speak out against censorship and for free speech all the time also advocated for being respectful of others with that freedom.

I see it advertised all the time in headlines for movies as a discriptor of the movie: "Irreverant!"....like that's a badge of honor or something. I guess I just don't see it as a good thing when being irreverant is something to be celebrated. I think there are certain subjects which people should show reverance to out of respect for others' beliefs.....I know it's a pipe dream to expect that will happen, but I think teaching a generation that being irreverant is something to be celebrated and glorified is a very dangerous idea, indeed.

A person can certainly feel that Christiananity or Islam is a bunch of bologna, but I think people's beliefs should be respected to the point that they are not mocked in such an overt fashion.

Ummm... I think I know what people are meaning, but to say that "cencorship sucks" (and the like) seems pretty misguided to me. I personally think that it's great that TV and radio is censored so that all kinds of crazy garbage isn't shown during prime time TV watching and children's TV. What kind of world do we live in that people think that people should be able to do/say what they want whenever they want?

My issue with this whole thing (as was shown on SP) is that they set the precident that it's ok to make fun Christians (and Jesus), Jews, Scientologists (to some degree), gays, handicapped, pretty much everything, except for Islam. To me, that shows that it's clearly not about right/wrong, and respect, it's clearly out of fear, and I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but this shows that indeed, the terrorists have won (that battle at least).

I'm guessing that Comedy Central would just rather not have some fundamentalist nutjob bomb their offices for showing Muhammed.

They already did it several years ago (remember the Super Best Friends episode?) and nobody bombed them.

They already did it several years ago (remember the Super Best Friends episode?) and nobody bombed them.

;)

Muhammad was a part of that? I totally forgot about that episode.

The giant John Wilkes Booth. :huh: