GuidingLight

Peenie had a good question I cant answer..

I will expand and hope for results.

1- If you rack up credit card debt, what happens if you die? Same for past due taxes?

Someone here know this stuff? Guessing federal is standard and varies state to state.

Interesting question...

1- If you rack up credit card debt, what happens if you die? Same for past due taxes?

Someone here know this stuff? Guessing federal is standard and varies state to state.

Interesting question...

Yup, I do know, and I'm not telling! :unsure:

alsonotreallybutwishidid!

• Haha 1

I assumed the state would claim your assets.

If you have no assets, then I assume the debt is wiped off the books. I know there's some rule that says you can't inherit debt.

Debts are paid from your estate before any willed property can be given. If you have a net debt it is generally just written off I believe.

Debts are paid from your estate before any willed property can be given. If you have a net debt it is generally just written off I believe.

Yes, this is true. Friend of mines father killed himself and left behind HUGE amounts of debt. They could't touch his life insurance but any other asset he had were gone...

Yes, this is true. Friend of mines father killed himself and left behind HUGE amounts of debt. They could't touch his life insurance but any other asset he had were gone...

I thought most life insurance policies had an exemption for suicides. :unsure:

I believe this is correct.

I believe there is a time limit from policy issuance before suicide is OK. [2-years maybe?]

Come to think of it, I did too. I know his ex wife got a chunk of change (even though she was his ex). I guess I assumed it was a life insurance policy....

Life insurance can't be touched, but for any debts, that is paid by the estate, like many have said.

Might this "written off" part contribute to the high interest responsible people pay on credit cards and other loans?

Well I hope you aren't planning on runnin up debt then passing on!

Dude, look for peenie's post in the 1 Day to Live thread. :(

Might this "written off" part contribute to the high interest responsible people pay on credit cards and other loans?

I doubt dying people are costing the CC people that much bucks.

On 5/24/2006 at 3:43 AM, Ravens 03 said:

I doubt dying people are costing the CC people that much bucks.

Things change.

The lifetime gift tax exemption is $11 million dollars.  The annual exemption is just $15k.  That means you can give someone up to $15k per year before you start burning through your lifetime exemption.

https://www.fool.com/taxes/2019/12/14/gift-tax-in-2020-how-much-can-i-give-tax-free.aspx

So if you are terminally ill, liquidate everything, gift the money to others, then die.  The money is tax-free.

On 5/23/2006 at 6:17 PM, GuidingLight said:

Interesting question...

My uncle went into assisted living...they take all of his money for the facility

Credit card company just ate it

16 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

My uncle went into assisted living...they take all of his money for the facility

Credit card company just ate it

Same with my FIL. The nursing home took his monthly pension and SS as payment. He owed about $8K in CC debt when he died. The CC company tried to guilt my wife and her sister into paying it. They said GFY, and that was it. The CC company ate it.

It’s the bank that eats it, not the CC company. And banks don’t eat anything. They pass it along to JQ Public. 

5 years before you end up in a nursing home, you need to get assets out of your name.  

If you don't, the nursing home will go after you or whoever you "gave" the assets to inside that 5 years. 

So if on Jan 1, 2021 your mom or dad gives you all of their assets, and on July 1, 2022 one or both of them end up in a nursing home, you are on the hook for their nursing home costs (up to the $ amount they "gave" you)  if they don't have the money to pay it with the cash/money they currently have. 

Plan ahead folks.  For both your parents if you are still able or for your kids.

On 5/23/2006 at 3:23 PM, parrot said:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

5 years before you end up in a nursing home, you need to get assets out of your name.  

If you don't, the nursing home will go after you or whoever you "gave" the assets to inside that 5 years. 

So if on Jan 1, 2021 your mom or dad gives you all of their assets, and on July 1, 2022 one or both of them end up in a nursing home, you are on the hook for their nursing home costs (up to the $ amount they "gave" you)  if they don't have the money to pay it with the cash/money they currently have. 

Plan ahead folks.  For both your parents if you are still able or for your kids.

Wow, never knew that.

your mom

8 minutes ago, peenie said:

Wow, never knew that.

It's referred to as the "5-year look back"

https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/medicaid-look-back-period/

Looks like California and DC may be changing it or have changed it to 30 months.