Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

My little sister's boyfriend

My little sister has been living in one of my parent's rental units with her boyfriend. They've broken up for good and she want him out. She's 20, in college, has a corporate job, direction and a promising future (not to mention drop dead gorgeous). He's a decent well intentioned kid from a broken home with no direction and no means to achieve his goals. If he leaves, he has no place to go right now and really can't afford to live alone. He wants to be a police officer and take the civil service exam when he turns 21, but we keep telling him that he'll never get in without a military background or some other experience. We tried to get him to take EMT courses, but he didn't listen.

I guess he could find a roomate on craigslist or something, but the kid needs direction. Apart from college, or joinging the Army - can you guys think of anything that would allow this kid to develop a more defined sense of direction, earn him some income, maybe subsidize his housing or give him a place to live, basically get him away from my sister while making him more independent and work towards a career for himself? He doesn't have a college degree, but has some technical certifications in HVAC.

I was thinking something like the Coast Guard where he would be out at sea for month's at a time, living on bases or ships and working towards a real fulfilling career. Any thoughts? What about a career as a forest/park ranger or border patrol? Oil rigs? Cargo ships? Ski mountain grooming?

TIA

I only read the thread title and didn't read your post....

but the answer is yes.

Yes she is banging him.

and yes she does anal with him.

can you guys think of anything that would allow this kid to develop a more defined sense of direction, earn him some income, maybe subsidize his housing or give him a place to live, basically get him away from my sister while making him more independent and work towards a career for himself?

Have him do what you did and work the glory hole till he can get a real job.

Have him do what you did and work the glory hole till he can get a real job.

Why? You looking for some action? :banana: But your response does give me an idea - - What about fishing vessels in Gloucester or New Bedford? He could make some money, get him out on the sea for months at a time. Thanks edjr - you're a genius!

He's only 20. If he really wants to 'go somewhere', he should get a job and go to school part time. if you don't see him going the college route - he should learn a trade that he can tolerate by becoming an assistant in the profession of his choice. Make sure he gets in with a really top notch guy so he can learn the correct/most professional way to do whatever. People are always looking for a good contractor and a good car repair guy that won't screw them.

I've always thought it would be cool to be one of those high-end home theater installers.

tony .. tony .. tony

i'm disappointed in you

all that verse

and not one mention of your sis's can size

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:banana:

btw, you never told me if you can get me a discount on a box o' nails

:banana:

I was thinking something like the Coast Guard where he would be out at sea for month's at a time, living on bases or ships and working towards a real fulfilling career. Any thoughts? What about a career as a forest/park ranger or border patrol? Oil rigs?

TIA

Rule out Park Ranger or Border Patrol... unless you have a 4 year degree you can't even come close.... lots of applicants. Park ranger maybe.... but it'd be one of those 10k a season things for kids in the summer.

Military sounds to be the only option. Send him to the AirForce or Navy... they don't get involved in anything.. have pretty nice bases all around with world and will actually teach him a decent trade and/or send him to college.

Maybe oil rigs up in the Dakota's right now... they're paying out the azz... but you have to not mind working when it's -50 to -80 degrees. If your not from there I wouldn't recommend it, it's focking meaner than it sounds.

Why? You looking for some action? :banana: But your response does give me an idea - - What about fishing vessels in Gloucester or New Bedford? He could make some money, get him out on the sea for months at a time. Thanks edjr - you're a genius!

I'm from Gloucester and that's TERRIBLE work. I have never personally done it, but I've heard the stories. Most boats don't go for long trips anymore, certainly not months. They have been so regulated by the fishing commision they can only fish certain hours of certain days when they sun is shining of every odd day in the months that begin with m or a vowel. :banana:

OK. Serious response.

I did this in 1998

The whole thing was relatively new at that time. Over the course of 10 months I did 900 jours of community service in a program called 21st Century Scholars. We tutored kids, arranged for tutors in subjects we couldn't handle, organized community service projects for them, took them on college campus tours, et cetera.

When I was finished I got a $2500.00 tuition voucher for use at any accredited college, university or trade school in the US of A. Also, while completing the 900 hours I got a living stipend of about $250/month.

Americorps might be a good way for this dude to figure out some goals and get some direction.

OK. Serious response.

I did this in 1998

The whole thing was relatively new at that time. Over the course of 10 months I did 900 jours of community service in a program called 21st Century Scholars. We tutored kids, arranged for tutors in subjects we couldn't handle, organized community service projects for them, took them on college campus tours, et cetera.

When I was finished I got a $2500.00 tuition voucher for use at any accredited college, university or trade school in the US of A. Also, while completing the 900 hours I got a living stipend of about $250/month.

Americorps might be a good way for this dude to figure out some goals and get some direction.

Interesting. Thanks. :dunno: I'll suggest it. Massachusetts has a similar program called City Year. I never thought of it.

Interesting. Thanks. :dunno: I'll suggest it. Massachusetts has a similar program called City Year. I never thought of it.

Through Americorps he can get involved in all kinds of things, not just education related areas. There are programs that deal with environmental issues, homelessness, child abuse...you name it. And the nice thing about Americorps is that you don't have to apply for a program in your state. He can look at anything around the country and they'll consider his application. I strongly debated over entering an environmental clean-up program in Detroit back in 1998. Knowing what I do now about Detroit, I sure am glad I stayed in Indiana!

ETA: I am sure the living stipend and tuition voucher have been adjusted in the last 8 years.

without knowing the kid and what he has an aptitude for, it's pretty tough to suggest any direction for him.

City Year isn't a bad idea at all though. If nothing else, it looks good on a resume and builds a contact list.

Fact is that education (what you know) and contacts (who you know) are the key to any career.

And really, at 20, I wouldn't worry too much about lack of direction... I had no idea what I wanted to do until I was closer to 30.

And really, at 20, I wouldn't worry too much about lack of direction...

The only direction I'm really concerned about for him is one which leads him away from my sister. He could pick coconuts in Malakai for all I care, he just needs something that is going to allow him to be self sufficient without an education or contacts. The Americorps/City Year sounds like his best option.

My little sister has been living in one of my parent's rental units with her boyfriend. They've broken up for good and she want him out. She's 20, in college, has a corporate job, direction and a promising future (not to mention drop dead gorgeous). He's a decent well intentioned kid from a broken home with no direction and no means to achieve his goals. If he leaves, he has no place to go right now and really can't afford to live alone. He wants to be a police officer and take the civil service exam when he turns 21, but we keep telling him that he'll never get in without a military background or some other experience. We tried to get him to take EMT courses, but he didn't listen.

I guess he could find a roomate on craigslist or something, but the kid needs direction. Apart from college, or joinging the Army - can you guys think of anything that would allow this kid to develop a more defined sense of direction, earn him some income, maybe subsidize his housing or give him a place to live, basically get him away from my sister while making him more independent and work towards a career for himself? He doesn't have a college degree, but has some technical certifications in HVAC.

I was thinking something like the Coast Guard where he would be out at sea for month's at a time, living on bases or ships and working towards a real fulfilling career. Any thoughts? What about a career as a forest/park ranger or border patrol? Oil rigs? Cargo ships? Ski mountain grooming?

TIA

PS-- they don't just give out jobs as as park rangers to schmucks who can't do anything else. Those jobs are tough to land and you need a conservation and natural resources degree to get consideration. But, he could get a job with the park service. You might try that.

he just needs something that is going to allow him to be self sufficient without an education or contacts.

crime. that really is your only option here.

you think your sister is hot <_<

you sound like you want him to away ie: oil rigs, fisherman, coast guard etc.

Some HVAC certs - finish that and in NY he can make $25-$30 an hour in NY

Dude, it's your kid sister's ex-boyfriend - who gives a fock what he does? :lol:

Dude, it's your kid sister's ex-boyfriend - who gives a fock what he does? :thumbsup:

Because, he can't leave her place living on minimum wage. He has no means of self sufficieny and no family to help him. In his present state, he'll be living there forever and her life will be miserable. I could give two fvcks about the kid, it's my sister that I'm worried about and the only way she can be happy is if this kid has some means to keep himself from becoming a fvcking hobo.

Because, he can't leave her place living on minimum wage. He has no means of self sufficieny and no family to help him.

You mean she CHOOSES not to kick him out. Because, ya know, she can kick him out and all. :cry:

Guest Black Label Society

The only direction I'm really concerned about for him is one which leads him away from my sister. He could pick coconuts in Malakai for all I care, he just needs something that is going to allow him to be self sufficient without an education or contacts. The Americorps/City Year sounds like his best option.

If you're really not concerned about him, other than to get him out of her hair, throw his no-job having a$$ out on the street.

It's amazing how quickly one will find direction and motivation with no place to sleep.

He shouldn't have focked up his relationship with your sis if he wanted to mooch off her. Dumbass.

I got zero sympathy for him. I came from a broken home and spent almost 2 weeks living in a van at 24 before I realized "Ok...enough of this sh!t."

Now I'm an Network Engineer with a college degree that I paid for on my own.

He just needs a kick in the a$$ is all. nothing more.

The kid will survive. Kick him out. Not your problem...he'll find something and will be forced to grow up. I doubt he'll listen to you in regards to his career direction anyway. I would suggest the military...

Because, he can't leave her place living on minimum wage. He has no means of self sufficieny and no family to help him. In his present state, he'll be living there forever and her life will be miserable. I could give two fvcks about the kid, it's my sister that I'm worried about and the only way she can be happy is if this kid has some means to keep himself from becoming a fvcking hobo.

Bullsh1t. If he wanted to he could live on his own. He might have to work two jobs but he can do it. Maybe this is the kick in the pants he needs.

Also you're not helping him by helping him.

If you're really not concerned about him, other than to get him out of her hair, throw his no-job having a$$ out on the street.

It's amazing how quickly one will find direction and motivation with no place to sleep.

He shouldn't have focked up his relationship with your sis if he wanted to mooch off her. Dumbass.

I got zero sympathy for him. I came from a broken home and spent almost 2 weeks living in a van at 24 before I realized "Ok...enough of this sh!t."

Now I'm an Network Engineer with a college degree that I paid for on my own.

He just needs a kick in the a$$ is all. nothing more.

Was it a van down by the river? (just kidding, Chris Farley reference) Maybe you could kick him in the ass.

As for the others who say, why not just throw him out? Because it's not like he was caught butt fvcking her cat, they've just grown apart and she/we don't want to just throw him out on the street. The kid has no one in this world and if we dump him on a curb, it will not be any different than every other person that's come along his way, including his parents.

(PS - my mother/sister did everything to get him into school, he even got into University of Connecticut on a full ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! and turned it down !?!?!?!?!? He went to a smaller school for two weeks before dropping out).

I was really pissed at him for not going to UConn and I've just now reminded myself of that. If he doesn't want to the Americorp thing, I think its best if he just gets thrown out, moves in with someone on craigslist and is forced to work two minimum wage jobs to support himself until he gets his ###### together.

Guest Black Label Society

I sure hope you don't fock over his Christmas, that would be pretty douchelike.

Way to stir the emotional pot fuckstupid :dunno:

We just about had him convinced to toss his unmotivated a$$ and you pull this one out. :pointstosky:

Tony....look man...he's had his chances. He's milking it and is not motivated.

If you want to be nice...tell him he's got 1 month.

He can goto college and live off his loans for the time needed to finish it. Maybe work a part time job.

But in any case, you can't hold him by the hand. He needs to toughen up.

I didn't read all the posts so if someone already suggested this, then i second his opinion.

Have you thought about Correctional Officer? One of my good friends recently did the whole program and by no means is he the most intelligent guy but he passed all the exams/tests fine. I'm sure it varies from state to state but in california the aproval process takes about 4 months. Thats from the time you submit your first application to the time you get sent to training. But yea, for training you get sent to a base for 3 months. They provide housing and food 7 days a week for free. During training you work your normal 40 hours a week and get paid $16.25. After your training you have a job lined up and start at $22 with raises every 6 months. You don't need any kind of degree or anything. My friend works some sh!tty shifts because he's a rookie, but he sleeps 3 hours a day on the job. All he has to do is make his rounds every 3 hours and tahts it because everyone is sleeping during his shift. Great benefits and overtime whenevre you want it. Plus its much easier to get accepted than police, highway patrol, those kinds of htings.

you think your sister is hot :bench:

Actually, I wouldn't have been quite as disturbed if he just said his sister was hot, but I don't recall any dude ever referring to his sister as "drop dead gorgeous" or with quite the enthusiasm that tony deliverance posted with.