Sign in to follow this  
MDC

the ***OFFICIAL*** Eagles - Saints thread!

I think the Eagles are the LAST team of the 4 Wildcard teams that the Saints wanted to face. Why? Because they're HOT, they have balance on offense and the D is playing inspired football. Plus, the Eagles played them very tough in the Dome already.

Dallas, they would have welcomed them with open arms based on their last meeting. Giants, too. Seahawks they haven't faced this year, but the way their secondary is and all, they would have been licking their chops. I know it could only have been the Eagles, Cowboys or Seahawks, just sayin'.

That said and the fact that I am a HUGE Eagles homer, I say the Eagles win this thing 35-31. Revenge baby!

Eagles D couldn’t make a stop when they needed one early in the year vs Saints. Brees dinked and dunked them to death on quick 3-step drops. Hopefully they’re correcting things from that game tape. Both offenses should be successful in this one.

I'm not seeing it. Too much offensive firepower in NO and Brees is smart. Brees will kill them in some way, shape, or form.

NO's defense ain't that great either so I see a high score, I just see the Saints ending with the highest score.

NO 38 - Philly 31 Just 1 humble opinion :rolleyes:

Saints don't stand a chance. Westy is going to run wild. Brees will find himself picking turf out of his helmet 6-8 times. Its tough to complete a pass while you are on the ground, thats for sure.

The 2 best teams in the conference go head to head. The Saints look better on paper, but this Eagles team is really believing in themselves.

I have no clue how to score it. :rolleyes:

But if the Eagles take an early lead, it will be interesting to see how the well overly rested Saints will react.

What a great game this should be. I'm a fan of both teams this season, as they have both been a great story. On paper, I feel the Saints have the advantage, throw in Home Field, and I predict they win by 7. You can't discount the Eagles though, and I'm simply hoping for a good clean game. I don't care who wins.

The 2 best teams in the conference go head to head. The Saints look better on paper, but this Eagles team is really believing in themselves.

I have no clue how to score it. :cheers:

But if the Eagles take an early lead, it will be interesting to see how the well overly rested Saints will react.

Momentum. The Eagle's have momentum and have shown the ability to win on the road, especially when their backs have been up against it.

Drew Brees is not Joe Montana. The Eagles need to get pressure right in his face and force that shorty to throw blindly into coverage. I'd really like to see Jim Johnson mix it up and throw some zone blitzes at Brees (let the corners go one-on-one on the outside). I'll throw 2 names out for Saturday's game: Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole. I would use both in zone blitz coverages. Both are athletic enough to take on this task.

This is the game where the Eagle LBs have to be spectacular. Defensively, they have it in them to shut down the Saints.

Eagles absolutely have to pressure Brees all night to win this. Otherwise he will just pick them apart like last game.

Beware of Deuce too. he's had some big games vs the Eagles.

Injury to Sheppard will definitely hurt the Eagles.

They are on a role but did not play that great against the Giants....will the Saints be rusty? I don't know.

But I think the Saints have enough weapons to get it done...and Brees is a pretty smart kid back there at Qb.

As for the poster thinking Brees will be on the turf all day...they were one of the least sacked teams in the league...that Oline is decent...

The scene in that Dome should be electric.. I think the Saints have too many weapons, but Philly keeps it respectable..

Saints - 31

Phlly - 21

Injury to Sheppard will definitely hurt the Eagles.

They are on a role but did not play that great against the Giants....will the Saints be rusty? I don't know.

But I think the Saints have enough weapons to get it done...and Brees is a pretty smart kid back there at Qb.

As for the poster thinking Brees will be on the turf all day...they were one of the least sacked teams in the league...that Oline is decent...

Sheppard's not an enormous loss only because they do have depth at corner. He will be missed, obviously.

I think Johnson throws out a new wrinkle this weekend and shores up the underneath coverage, and will dare Brees to throw deep into a cover two.

The Eagles are playing much better defensively since the first game in the Dome.

I see a high scoring affair, and at this point, I can put out a score. I have it as a pick'em. :banana:

Sheppard's not an enormous loss only because they do have depth at corner. He will be missed, obviously.

I think Lito is a pretty big loss. Not so much as a top corner, because Rod Hood is nearly as good, but the trickle down effect could hurt. Brown and Hood are good but there's a big dropoff to Joselio Hansen or whoever they go with at nickel. And even though he'll get burned sometimes, Lito is a big play guy.

Anyway, the Eagles are a different offense now and they've been running the ball very well. I think field position and running the ball effectively are huge keys for them in this game. Philly also has a knack for falling behind in games - they overcame that vs. the Giants but I don't want to see them down by a TD on another opening drive.

Saints are very tough and have God on their side. If I were perdicting with my head I'd have to pick them to win the game but Philly has shown a ton of heart so it should be very close either way.

Saints don't stand a chance. Westy is going to run wild. Brees will find himself picking turf out of his helmet 6-8 times. Its tough to complete a pass while you are on the ground, thats for sure.

First off they play in a dome with artifical turf so there goes your "picking turf out of his helmet" dream.

Second, if the eagles defense starts this game the way they started against the giants they will be down 3 scores quick.

Third, between the weapons of the Saints and the home field advantage the will have, they will easily win by 7.

:dunno:

First off they play in a dome with artifical turf so there goes your "picking turf out of his helmet" dream.

Second, if the eagles defense starts this game the way they started against the giants they will be down 3 scores quick.

Third, between the weapons of the Saints and the home field advantage the will have, they will easily win by 7.

:dunno:

Troll Fight!!!!

:lol:

What depth would that be? Rod Hood? :banana: Sheppard was gone on that last Giant 6-completion drive that made it quite clear the importance of Sheppard.

What NEEDS to happen is for Westbrook to not have one of his worst offensive outputs of the season like back in Week 6. Further, if the defense can do as they have historically done and keep the Saints rushing attack on the shelf... they can win this. The defense showed flashes of early season tiredness during the Giants game so they'll need to shake that off and step it up against the Saints again.

My homerist prediction is hoping to see that the Eagles will prevent the one TD that broke their back during the regular season meeting and this one ends up 24-20 in favor of the Eagles.

:clap:

This will be a good game and the winner will go on to the Superbowl. the Eagles are peaking but it will be the Saints who will win 31 to 21. The Saints have too many stars too stop with Brees, Colston, McAllister and Bush, while the key to stopping Philadelphia is Westbrook.

It seems alot of people think this will be a close game. I disagree whole-heartedly. The Eagles thin secondary will be picked apart by the Saints spread formations and Brees' decision making skills will exploit the mismatches. The DL will get back Hollis Thomas (a beast in the 1st game against Philly) who will eat up the middle, put DE's Will Smith and Charles Grant one-on-one, and help keep Garcia contained. Joe Horn is back and pissed-off, saying (and I quote):

"I'll be ready. I don't care if my groin is peeling off of the bone, I'll be playing on Saturday".

The fans will be loud, the fans will be angry, the fans will feast in a never ending orgy of blood... green blood... Eagle blood.

Saints - 34

Eagles - 17

Rocky loses

What depth would that be? Rod Hood? :banana: Sheppard was gone on that last Giant 6-completion drive that made it quite clear the importance of Sheppard.

What NEEDS to happen is for Westbrook to not have one of his worst offensive outputs of the season like back in Week 6. Further, if the defense can do as they have historically done and keep the Saints rushing attack on the shelf... they can win this. The defense showed flashes of early season tiredness during the Giants game so they'll need to shake that off and step it up against the Saints again.

My homerist prediction is hoping to see that the Eagles will prevent the one TD that broke their back during the regular season meeting and this one ends up 24-20 in favor of the Eagles.

:clap:

Would you rather be without someone like Westbrook, Trotter, or Dawkins?

The Eagles have some depth at DB. That's all I'm saying. :banana:

The loss of Sheppard will hurt due to the Saints three and four receiver spreads.

When the nickle corner has to move into a starting slot, that means someone weaker yet, has to move up to nickle. When the Saints have four receivers in, the Eagles will be counting on their fifth best corner to cover Copper or Henderson. That's where it's going to hurt them.

The loss of Sheppard will hurt due to the Saints three and four receiver spreads.

When the nickle corner has to move into a starting slot, that means someone weaker yet, has to move up to nickle. When the Saints have four receivers in, the Eagles will be counting on their fifth best corner to cover Copper or Henderson. That's where it's going to hurt them.

Injuries happen (see McNabb).

They'll overcome; they'll adapt. :clap:

What depth would that be? Rod Hood? :dunno: Sheppard was gone on that last Giant 6-completion drive that made it quite clear the importance of Sheppard.

The wildcard here is William James. He was a decent starting corner w/the Giants and if he is healthy and playing, they do have good depth. Hood, James, Hanson. Name a team in the NFL with better depth at this position. That said, I still think Lito is a big loss.

Also, it's one thing to adjust on the fly. It's quite another to gameplan and practice knowing who you have to go with

I think Lito is a pretty big loss. Not so much as a top corner, because Rod Hood is nearly as good, but the trickle down effect could hurt. Brown and Hood are good but there's a big dropoff to Joselio Hansen or whoever they go with at nickel

Exactly. the way the Saints Offense is run i'd assume the Eagles will need to be nickel a lot to cover the multi-WR sets the Saints have. Hanson is atrocious. somehow he's going to have to cover Henderson or Copper.

that said, i think the Eagles O will have sucess vs the Saints D. Hollis Thomas, c'mon now, we're supposed to be worried about Hollis Thomas? it'll be Stallworth haunting his old team, not Hollis Thomas.

WHO CARES?! :dunno:

Everyone except Igles fans ;)

It'll be a tough fight for BOTH teams. The Saints do have alot of weapons on offense but the Eagles D has gotten better from the last time they played (which they lost only by 3). The Eagles are just clicking right now. I feel the Eagles will pull out a win because they are playing mistake free football. Garcia knows how to protect the ball. The Eagles experience in the playoffs lifts them to a win.

Eagles 27

Saints 20

Exactly. the way the Saints Offense is run i'd assume the Eagles will need to be nickel a lot to cover the multi-WR sets the Saints have. Hanson is atrocious. somehow he's going to have to cover Henderson or Copper.

that said, i think the Eagles O will have sucess vs the Saints D. Hollis Thomas, c'mon now, we're supposed to be worried about Hollis Thomas? it'll be Stallworth haunting his old team, not Hollis Thomas.

New Orleans will be facing a completely different offense. It's more balanced, way more efficient, Westbrook is at the top of his game, and the offensive line is dictating the play on the LOS.

That's where I think the Eagles have a decided advantage. Like you said, their best DL is Thomas. They should be able to dominate the LOS, in addition to clogging up the lanes for their undersized LB crew. Ever notice the opposition has trouble seeing Westbrook behind his linemen? Shorter LBs like the Saints should have that very same problem.

IMO, Westbrook has a career day. 185+ yards from scrimmage, 3 TDs. Look at what he did this past weekend when he was under the weather?

Everyone except Igles fans ;)

Will you be watching the game from home with the rest of the Vikings? Maybe you can watch it on their boat?

Thanks for playing. Show him what he's won! :dunno:

The wildcard here is William James.

Has he played a single snap at corner for the Eagles yet? :dunno:

New Orleans will be facing a completely different offense. It's more balanced, way more efficient, Westbrook is at the top of his game, and the offensive line is dictating the play on the LOS.

That's where I think the Eagles have a decided advantage. Like you said, their best DL is Thomas. They should be able to dominate the LOS

Definitely. the balance is what has them playing well. the O-Line has been great and if they can continue to run successfully then not only with the O be in great shape but it'll keep the Defense fresh and keep Brees and company on the sidelines. hopefully they are able to play some smash mouth vs the Saints. get Buckhalter involved too.

That's where I think the Eagles have a decided advantage. Like you said, their best DL is Thomas.

You think Thomas is our best Defensive Lineman? Man, I hope your entire offense thinks that too. Hollis is our third best DL, after Will Smith and Charles Grant on the ends. Neither is a slouch against the run.

Just to reitterate, this will be a bloodletting by the Saints. Your secondary is incapable of stopping our passing attack (try 5-man or more blitzes, and we'll just dump it off to Reggie) and Payton is the best coach in the league at scheming opposing QB's. As for Stallworth's "revenge" factor, if that's something you feel you can rely on, you're in far more dire straits than even I could have guessed.

Enjoy the thrill of the playoffs this week. You won't be able to after Saturday.

:cry:

You think Thomas is our best Defensive Lineman? Man, I hope your entire offense thinks that too. Hollis is our third best DL, after Will Smith and Charles Grant on the ends. Neither is a slouch against the run.

Just to reitterate, this will be a bloodletting by the Saints. Your secondary is incapable of stopping our passing attack (try 5-man or more blitzes, and we'll just dump it off to Reggie) and Payton is the best coach in the league at scheming opposing QB's. As for Stallworth's "revenge" factor, if that's something you feel you can rely on, you're in far more dire straits than even I could have guessed.

Enjoy the thrill of the playoffs this week. You won't be able to after Saturday.

:banana:

LOL, playoffs, playoffs, what the hell do the Saints or their fans know about the playoffs. The Eagles have as many playoff wins THIS YEAR as the Saints have in their entire history! Just sayin'...

LOL, playoffs, playoffs, what the hell do the Saints or their fans know about the playoffs. The Eagles have as many playoff wins THIS YEAR as the Saints have in their entire history! Just sayin'...

Actually, the Eagles had a bye last week and still almost lost.

As for the Saints playoff history, it amuses me how pathetically some people cling to the comfort of the past rather than face the reality of the present. That reality is complete and utter annihilation for Philly this Saturday, courtesy of the Saints.

You don't have to believe me... in truth, I hope you dont. It'll make the expression on your face all the more humorous.

Actually, the Eagles had a bye last week and still almost lost.

As for the Saints playoff history, it amuses me how pathetically some people cling to the comfort of the past rather than face the reality of the present. That reality is complete and utter annihilation for Philly this Saturday, courtesy of the Saints.

You don't have to believe me... in truth, I hope you dont. It'll make the expression on your face all the more humorous.

OK, recent history the Saints beat the Eagles by 3 and finished 10-6. Guess what, the Eagles finished 10-6 as well. The Saints RECENTLY lost to the Redskins and Panthers at home. The Eagles haven't lost to anyone recently. Recent enough history for you?

W T F does that mean, you watching the game with me or something?

:huh:

Refreshing, coming from a Saints fan for all of 16 games.

ALL ABOARD!!!

I really think it is impossible to pick this game. Each team has solid coaching and are alike in a lot of ways. I feel both definitely will have success on offense... Both have smart QB's who may not be the most athletic or most skilled, but knows what it takes to win. I think the Saints are slightly more talented as far as the skill positions, but Philly has more experience. In the end... I think this game is going to come down to a Bush or Westbrook big play or two.

Totally biased, I say Mr. President lives up the hype, and the NFL is rigged and wants to see New Orleans win :lol:

The real loser is the one that has to get their ass kicked by the Bears next week. Good luck in the NFC runnerup bowl. :thumbsup:

The real loser is the one that has to get their ass kicked by the Bears next week. Good luck in the NFC runnerup bowl. :dunno:

:banana:

Grossman