Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Just for fun: A preliminary "close call" if you will

Formerly teammates, now the lead runners on different teams....which one of these two running backs are you currently projecting to have better fantasy numbers....Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson?

I think Jones has the better season :blink:

If benson gets 20 - 25 carries a game Benson " Should " explode for a 1400 yard 12 TD season with that great Oline !

Benson still can't pass block and doesn't have great hands. So I see Adrian Peterson coming in on 3rd downs, reducing Benson's touches.

Jones doesn't have either of those weaknesses, so I see him as an every-down pack with Washington just coming in to spell him.

So, I'd take Jones over Benson, especially in a PPR league.

give me Jones on a rapidly improving NYJ team over Benson on what will be a slumping CHI team hands down...

Not only is Jones the better RB of the two (Benson couldn't even win the job when they were trying to hand it to him), but the NYJ are going to be a better offense than the Bears this year. How many games did CHI score it's TDs defensively instead of offensively?

Benson is not the kind of back opposing Ds will worry about busting one outside, and as previously mentioned, probably won't be getting the 3rd down reps. TJones still has speed, burst, and 3rd down reps.

finally, TJones won't cry the first time he gets a hangnail like Benson will.

Benson still can't pass block and doesn't have great hands. So I see Adrian Peterson coming in on 3rd downs, reducing Benson's touches.

Jones doesn't have either of those weaknesses, so I see him as an every-down pack with Washington just coming in to spell him.

Did I miss something here? :banana: Last time I checked AD(All Day) Adrian Peterson was with the Vikes :cheers:

Did I miss something here? :banana: Last time I checed AD(All Day) Adrian Peterson was with the Vikes :cheers:

wrong AP, the one not nicknamed AD... :huh:

Exactly what I was going to say.

I don't see Jones coming out on third downs like Benson. Plus he'll double/triple Bensons catches.

You also have to add into the injury history. We havn't seen enough of Benson to know if can carry the full load, injury free. But in limited reps. He's not off to a good start. He was worked like a bull in college. So he had wear and tear even before his NFL dings.

I would take Benson in a heartbeat. He's behind a better OL, has a better QB, and is simply a beast. (yes I know I am saying Grossman is not the worst starting QB in the league)

Exactly what I was going to say.

I don't see Jones coming out on third downs like Benson. Plus he'll double/triple Bensons catches.

You also have to add into the injury history. We havn't seen enough of Benson to know if can carry the full load, injury free. But in limited reps. He's not off to a good start. He was worked like a bull in college. So he had wear and tear even before his NFL dings.

Yep.... :thumbsup:

I will take Jones. What has Benson proved? His team mates don't like him either. Jones had some young improving O-lineman ahead of him also. The Jets took lineman with the first and second round picks last year.

Friendly suggestion for the original poster or anyone making these types of posts in the future, in the main title line put the names of the players (preferably both 1st and last names of each player). As it is, this post will not show up in search results by player name (which would be useful as the draft approaches) and these threads fade off of the first page.

:dunno:

Did I miss something here? :bench: Last time I checked AD(All Day) Adrian Peterson was with the Vikes :o

Yeah, the last three-four years. :P

Benson... has a better QB,

:D :D :D

You were joking right?

No I wasn't - Grossman is a great QB 3/4rs of the time, while Pennington is mediocre all the time he's not injured.

No I wasn't - Grossman is a great QB 3/4rs of the time, while Pennington is mediocre all the time he's not injured.

Great?

You obviously don't watch many games and just go by numbers. There's more to being an NFL QB. I'm pretty sure most GMs would take Pennington over Grossman to lead their teams (age notwithstanding).

Thanks I also forgot that Pennington has been injured alot while Grossman has never missed any time due to injury.  :D 

Did I miss something here? :( Last time I checked AD(All Day) Adrian Peterson was with the Vikes :banana:

Yes, you did miss something. Check the Bears roster. Nice try though.

Jones is so far ahead of Benson it isn't even funny. They aren't in the same tier, much less a close call.

Put me down on the following lists:

- The "Jones over Benson list", anyday, but particularly on Sundays.

- The "Scratching my head wondering how anyone can think that Rex Grossman is better than Pennington, or better than anyone for that matter, list"

- and The "Wishing that anybody who values Benson more then Jones was in my league list".

Thomas Jones? Mr. Dance-Around Thomas Jones? Mr. I've never broken a tackle in my life Thomas Jones? Cedric Benson will own him, draft TJ at your own peril. The Bears D is still dominant, and the Bears will be running a plenty come the 3rd and 4th quarters. It's quite simply really, TJ is an average NFL back, at best, and while the jury is still out on Benson, I think he makes Bears fans forget about TJ by the second quarter of week 1.

Put me down on the following lists:

- The "Jones over Benson list", anyday, but particularly on Sundays.

- The "Scratching my head wondering how anyone can think that Rex Grossman is better than Pennington, or better than anyone for that matter, list"

- and The "Wishing that anybody who values Benson more then Jones was in my league list".

I may not be so sure that Grossman is better than Pennington, but one thing of which I am absolutely certain is that Steve McNair is better than Pennington. :thumbsup:

I would take Benson in a heartbeat. He's behind a better OL, has a better QB, and is simply a beast. (yes I know I am saying Grossman is not the worst starting QB in the league)

Also a great defense to keep games close and keep him on the field. I go with Benson. :angry:

Thomas Jones? Mr. Dance-Around Thomas Jones? Mr. I've never broken a tackle in my life Thomas Jones? Cedric Benson will own him, draft TJ at your own peril. The Bears D is still dominant, and the Bears will be running a plenty come the 3rd and 4th quarters. It's quite simply really, TJ is an average NFL back, at best, and while the jury is still out on Benson, I think he makes Bears fans forget about TJ by the second quarter of week 1.

sure, Benson is the better RB than TJones - that's why Lovie Smith made Benson the featured back in CHI, and gave him the bulk of the carries in the SB too, right?? <_<

does everyone here that's voting for Benson realize that he has only carried the ball more than 15 times in a game twice in the two years he's been in the NFL?? and both of those times he had exactly 16 carries?

now all of a sudden people think he's going to be carrying the ball 20+ times a game? right...

Benson.

Jones is one of the most over-rated backs in the game...second only to FWP <_<

Willie Parker is overrated ? ;)

Formerly teammates, now the lead runners on different teams....which one of these two running backs are you currently projecting to have better fantasy numbers....Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson?

I'm actually deciding on which one of these two guys to trade for in my Dynasty league since the kid that owns these two is loaded at RB but hurting at WR... I'm going to offer Terrell Owens for one of them but I can't decide which one !!! :wacko: :dunno: :wacko:

sure, Benson is the better RB than TJones - that's why Lovie Smith made Benson the featured back in CHI, and gave him the bulk of the carries in the SB too, right?? :blink:

does everyone here that's voting for Benson realize that he has only carried the ball more than 15 times in a game twice in the two years he's been in the NFL?? and both of those times he had exactly 16 carries?

now all of a sudden people think he's going to be carrying the ball 20+ times a game? right...

Do you realize the irony of your post? After Thomas Jones' first two years, he was completely written off.

Jones, Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, Larry Johnson, Stephen Davis, Brian Westbrook...a guy who proved to be workhorse runner who started slow the first two years isn't unprecedented.

This expert draft was recently completed...

Round 1

1 Greg Ambrosius LaDainian Tomlinson (RB SD)

2 Dave Richard Steven Jackson (RB STL)

3 John Hansen Larry Johnson (RB KC)

4 Tom Kessenich Shaun Alexander (RB SEA)

5 Matt Berry Joseph Addai (RB IND)

6 William Del Pilar Frank Gore (RB SF)

7 Mike Fabiano Willie Parker (RB PIT)

8 Andy Behrens Rudi Johnson (RB CIN)

9 Eric Karabell Peyton Manning (QB IND)

10 Adam Caplan Ronnie Brown (RB MIA)

11 Peter Schoenke Laurence Maroney (RB NE)

12 Matt Pitzer Brian Westbrook (RB PHI)

Round 2

13 Matt Pitzer Travis Henry (RB DEN)

14 Peter Schoenke Reggie Bush (RB NO)

15 Adam Caplan Clinton Portis (RB WAS)

16 Eric Karabell Willis McGahee (RB BAL)

17 Andy Behrens Cedric Benson (RB CHI)

18 Mike Fabiano Maurice Jones-Drew (RB JAC)

19 William Del Pilar Edgerrin James (RB ARI)

20 Matt Berry Ahman Green (RB HOU)

21 Tom Kessenich Chad Johnson (WR CIN)

22 John Hansen Steve Smith (WR CAR)

23 Dave Richard Deuce McAllister (RB NO)

24 Greg Ambrosius Thomas Jones (RB NYJ)

Round 3

25 Greg Ambrosius Terrell Owens (WR DAL)

26 Dave Richard Marvin Harrison (WR IND)

27 John Hansen Carson Palmer (QB CIN)

28 Tom Kessenich Brandon Jacobs (RB NYG)

29 Matt Berry Torry Holt (WR STL)

30 William Del Pilar Cadillac Williams (RB TB)

31 Mike Fabiano Larry Fitzgerald (WR ARI)

32 Andy Behrens Randy Moss (WR OAK)

33 Eric Karabell Reggie Wayne (WR IND)

34 Adam Caplan Tom Brady (QB NE)

35 Peter Schoenke Javon Walker (WR DEN)

36 Matt Pitzer Marc Bulger (QB STL)

Round 4

37 Matt Pitzer Anquan Boldin (WR ARI)

38 Peter Schoenke Roy Williams (WR DET)

39 Adam Caplan Andre Johnson (WR HOU)

40 Eric Karabell Marshawn Lynch (RB BUF)

41 Andy Behrens Marion Barber (RB DAL)

42 Mike Fabiano Marques Colston (WR NO)

43 William Del Pilar Donald Driver (WR GB)

44 Matt Berry Jamal Lewis (RB CLE)

45 Tom Kessenich Drew Brees (QB NO)

46 John Hansen DeAngelo Williams (RB CAR)

47 Dave Richard Antonio Gates (TE SD)

48 Greg Ambrosius T.J. Houshmandzadeh (WR CIN)

Round 5

49 Greg Ambrosius Donovan McNabb (QB PHI)

50 Dave Richard Plaxico Burress (WR NYG)

51 John Hansen Lee Evans (WR BUF)

52 Tom Kessenich Adrian Peterson (RB MIN)

53 Matt Berry Matt Hasselbeck (QB SEA)

54 William Del Pilar Fred Taylor (RB JAC)

55 Mike Fabiano Vince Young (QB TEN)

56 Andy Behrens Eli Manning (QB NYG)

57 Eric Karabell Hines Ward (WR PIT)

58 Adam Caplan Chester Taylor (RB MIN)

59 Peter Schoenke Darrell Jackson (WR SEA)

60 Matt Pitzer Warrick Dunn (RB ATL)

6pt for all TD's...

I hate Thomas Jones(I think he is a steroid-aided nancy who runs like a girl), and I'll eat my hat if he out-performs Benson.

Great?

You obviously don't watch many games and just go by numbers. There's more to being an NFL QB. I'm pretty sure most GMs would take Pennington over Grossman to lead their teams (age notwithstanding).

Thanks I also forgot that Pennington has been injured alot while Grossman has never missed any time due to injury.  :D 

nice response here Doc...good to see that MahSoonerz gets pwnd in just about every topic he posts in.

credibility: 3

mahsoonerz: 0

nice response here Doc...good to see that MahSoonerz gets pwnd in just about every topic he posts in.

credibility: 3

mahsoonerz: 0

Nice to see you become interested in topics once you see I have replied in them. :blink:

Getting back to the good doctor's point, if I found Chad Pennington leading my NFL team, I would bring in all the Kelly Stouffers of the world I could sign and declare an open competition. Which is exactly what happened. It's a legit judgment call - do you want a QB who is brilliant when he has a lead but could melt down when he gets behind, or a QB who is consistently fair-to-middlin' but has a more extensive injury history? As for myself, I tend to write guys off after two season-obliterating injuries. To stay consistent with the difference of opinion that caused you to stalk me today, judging by 2006 QB rating alone Pennington was clearly the better choice. I stayed away from Pennington fantasy-wise (and will continue to) because I still don't trust his ability to get through a whole season with those shoulders of his. For 2006 alone, my judgment here was clearly wrong, but for 2007 and beyond? I'll stick with Grossman and keep my fingers crossed.

Then there's the question of which QB actually led his team to the Super Bowl last year. I think that counts for something in this analysis.

Nice to see you become interested in topics once you see I have replied in them. :huh:

Getting back to the good doctor's point, if I found Chad Pennington leading my NFL team, I would bring in all the Kelly Stouffers of the world I could sign and declare an open competition. Which is exactly what happened. It's a legit judgment call - do you want a QB who is brilliant when he has a lead but could melt down when he gets behind, or a QB who is consistently fair-to-middlin' but has a more extensive injury history? As for myself, I tend to write guys off after two season-obliterating injuries. To stay consistent with the difference of opinion that caused you to stalk me today, judging by 2006 QB rating alone Pennington was clearly the better choice. I stayed away from Pennington fantasy-wise (and will continue to) because I still don't trust his ability to get through a whole season with those shoulders of his. For 2006 alone, my judgment here was clearly wrong, but for 2007 and beyond? I'll stick with Grossman and keep my fingers crossed.

Then there's the question of which QB actually led his team to the Super Bowl last year. I think that counts for something in this analysis.

Honestly Grossman has more upside and could become a better QB than Chad ever was or will be, but right now Pennington is hands down the better QB. We're not talking fantasy, we're talking NFL. You harp on his injury history and sure the shoulder injury was devastating, but he came back strong and who knows what the future holds, but Rex has had his share of injury.

As far as Grossman leading his team to the Superbowl, my response is two fold:

1. Come on. Grossman was more of a hinderance than a help to the Bears. Everyone knows that.

2. If the Jets were in the NFC there was a good chance they would have has a much better shot at the Superbowl.

sure, Benson is the better RB than TJones - that's why Lovie Smith made Benson the featured back in CHI, and gave him the bulk of the carries in the SB too, right?? :wacko:

I don't think past opportunities are a realistic indicator for how many carries these guys will get in the coming year.

Last year, the coaching staff kept Jones as the #1 because he was the most proven. I wouldn't read too much into that in what the team considered a SB run all year. Benson's blocking ability is always knocked, but he was as consistent as Jones was last year - it's just the coaches felt more comfortable with the veteran.

As for the injury thing, Jones has a history of getting dinged and missing a couple games a year too. Benson hasn't missed much time due to injury so I kinda see that as a wash for comparison purposes. Sure, Benson's injury in the SB was VERY much in the public's awareness, but I blame that on the Oline by letting those guys into the backfield. Last year was the first time in Jones' career when he played in all 16 games and it's considered by many to be because Benson was there to spell him and keep him fresh.

Benson will get more carries than he has ever had in the NFL before. Jones will be the #1 guy for the Jets.

I think it all depends on which TEAM stays healthiest and which offense is most balanced. If I had to choose with both on the board, I would take Benson. They both averaged the same ypc last year, but Benson's ypc increased as the season went on if you break it down by month.

Benson hasn't missed much time due to injury so I kinda see that as a wash for comparison purposes.

Um, check the last two training camps for the Bears. This guy gets hurt very easily. The only reason it hasn't happened during the season is because he hasn't played that much. When given a chance in the SB, he got hurt again.

If i was picking between the two...

I would take Jones with no doubt in my mind....id pick him while walking over to the cooler to grab a beer.

Um, check the last two training camps for the Bears. This guy gets hurt very easily. The only reason it hasn't happened during the season is because he hasn't played that much. When given a chance in the SB, he got hurt again.

Ummm, I did. Did you?

His rookie year he held out but wasn't injured during camp. He got injured and missed a few games later on in the season on a hit directly sideways on his knee. I was amazed his knee wasn't torn up from that hit.

Last year, he got a minor injury in camp. Because they had Jones, they wanted him 100% recovered before putting him back in. (along with the politics that allowed them to keep Jones as starter) I'm pretty sure he would've been able to go sooner had Jones not been around.

Then he got hit on his plant leg behind the line of scrimmage in the SB.

I guess I just don't see a pattern to any supposed injury history - and I watch every single game at least twice not to mention going to training camp every year.

one thing I havent seen mentioned is that the Jets were like 6th or 7th in rush attempts, and scored 15 rushing TDs. I think this fact gets lost on people becuase of the mediocre comittee of Barlow and Houston splitting a lot of that production, especially the TDs. imo, the Jets will have a very balanced offense with another year in Shottenheimers system, continued development of 1st rd studs Ferguson, and Mangold, and an obvious upgrade over last years RBs in Jones. Cedric Benson couldnt take the job from Jones the last two years, and I think theres a good reason for that. I think Benson is going to be a huge bust this year, and If I was a Benson owner, Id be quick to get both Peterson and Wolfe on my roster right now

I'd go Benson, he's got a better line and a great defense working for him. Da bears are a run first offense which is also good.

As far as the Grossman vs Pennington debate, I believe what Mah was trying to say is that Grossman (however shaky) has a bigger up-side then that of one Chad Pennington. I as well believe that when its all said and done... Grossman > Pennington.

:banana: