Sign in to follow this  
gpann101

Who is your comeback player of the year?

Here is mine...Jerry Porter

Parcell's said it was Dante "I've got small hands" Culpepper.

Good defense. Decent WR's. Decent enough RB's. Bad line probably.

Guest _my_2_cents_

I am torn between LaMont Jordan and Alexander.

Alexander averaged what, 17 TDs a year? I don't see his ability to achieve that being diminshed that greatly by the loss of Hutchinson a 2nd year removed, and after a broken bone in his foot.

Sure, he's 30. But his 29th year wasn't very heavy in terms of workload. I like Alexander for 1600 total yards and 16 total TDs. A bargain at 1.06--> and a candidate for comeback player of the year.

Jordan is pissed. I mean really, really, cost himself millions because the team around him sucked kind of pissed. He is competing for a starting job that he feels is rightfully his after fighting his whole career to get it. That's some great coaching - they brought in competition to motivate him, the O-Line is playing better and Jordan is way, way, way motivated.

If CPep (a popular pick as comeback player) is going well, it will open up everything. If Jordan catches 50 passes, and has 1600 combined yards with 10 TDs, he's going to absolutely be the comeback player of the year.

At first I was nauseated by taking him in the 11th round (!!) of my recent 12 team IDP draft. After watching him push the pile on that TD run and seeing how shifty he looks now that he's back in shape, especially on that open field reception where he blocked, then rolled out for the pass and put a move on to take it another 10 yds, I am thinking I got a total steal. I don't think Rhodes comes close to a healthy Jordan in terms of ability. Jordan is the best weapon on that team and the new coaching staff seems determined to get more out of him. And Jordan is more motivated to get more out of himself.

So there ya go. 2 guys I feel will vastly out-perform their draft day value - moreso Jordan, but that will be a hard one to sell y'all on after he screwed so many of us last year.

Cadillac :ninja: Williams

Man, I hope you're right about Caddy but I'm not sure they made the right adjustments to the O-line in the offseason. So I've gotta say Randy Moss. THE premiere WR as fallen so far in drafts and he's still relatively young. IF he gets healthy, he moves into the top 3.

Dante Culpepper (I agree w/ Parcells on this)

I'm so glad Parcells is no longer coaching the Boys cause he clearly has lost his mind in his old age. Culpepper behind that offensive line is a nightmare situation given he fumbles like crazy anyway....can't read a defense...and they can't block.

My picks would be among Chris Brown, Carnell Williams, and Darrell Jackson.

I will throw out the perrenial contender for the comeback title:

David Boston

I'm so glad Parcells is no longer coaching the Boys cause he clearly has lost his mind in his old age. Culpepper behind that offensive line is a nightmare situation given he fumbles like crazy anyway....can't read a defense...and they can't block.

My picks would be among Chris Brown, Carnell Williams, and Darrell Jackson.

Maybe the new coaching staff will be smart enough to call plays w/ quick drop backs and throws, instead of setting up your QB to be killed on every play.

Also DJ had 10 TDs last season, not sure if he could even be an option for comeback player.

Nice pick on Jerry Porter..probably the least obvious of the picks mentioned. I'll throw another wr in the mix...Kevin Curtis could be poised for the best year of his career

I have both Chris Brown and Lamont Jordan (late picks) so I hope they both will have the year that it's starting to look like they might have.

I think Jordan is poised to be a decent RB2 and clearly has more potential than Brown. However with Lendale falling out of favor Brown is the guy for now.

I will throw out the perrenial contender for the comeback title:

David Boston

Interesting call there...he is still only 28 i think and does have abilities....just cant stay healthy...word from TB is that he is looking good in camp.

The top candidates have to be: D Culpepper, L Jordan, S Alexander, R Moss and C Williams

All of those players fell completely off the map last year statistically, but all of them have a legitamit shot this year. Some of the other names that were mentioned like Edge and McGahee .... I don't think they disappeared enough last year to warrant "comeback player".

W. McGahee

E. James

Those both certianely are not comeback player candidates.

James played in all 16 games last year and had 1159 yrds rushing w/ 6 td's.....

McGahee missed all but 2 games last year and was 10 yards shy of 1000 yards....

Mcnabb was lost for the season in the first quarter of week 11....he had to rehablitate his knee....warrants a comeback player of the year...

My pick : Byron Leftwitch

Those both certianely are not comeback player candidates.

James played in all 16 games last year and had 1159 yrds rushing w/ 6 td's.....

McGahee missed all but 2 games last year and was 10 yards shy of 1000 yards....

Mcnabb was lost for the season in the first quarter of week 11....he had to rehablitate his knee....warrants a comeback player of the year...

My pick : Byron Leftwitch

Per the good 'ole wikipedia

"The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

Doesn't have to be injury-related... so I'll cast my vote for Lamont Jordan

i don't know if it qualifies... but isaac bruce...

rams will score a lot this year... he's now the 3rd WR on that team... he'll be seeing single coverage all day...

Per the good 'ole wikipedia

"The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

Doesn't have to be injury-related... so I'll cast my vote for Lamont Jordan

I agree with you.....that's why I left Caddy off that list...

but 1000 yards isn't really a POOR perfromance warranting a comeback player of the year from McGahee or Edge....agreed?

Easily Alexanader has a great shot at this.

He was arguably the #1 pick 2 years ago.

They helped secure the O-line.

The man has had almost a full year year of non contact.

Holmgren will utilize him every chance he gets.

He's got something to prove after his TD record got smashed and he had to sit on the sidelines and watch.

I'm not saying he'll beat the TD record, but I could see 17-20 TD's and 1300 yards Rushing.

I took him at #3 in a 12 teamer.

I think he has less risk then Gore and has proven himself, unlike Addai.

He's a great pick.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Tatum Bell

Didn't he have 1000+ RuYds last season?

how's that a comeback - he never left. Now he's in a RBBC with Duckett at the stripe. I think he'll be worse than last year.

Jordan is pissed. I mean really, really, cost himself millions because the team around him sucked kind of pissed. He is competing for a starting job that he feels is rightfully his after fighting his whole career to get it. That's some great coaching - they brought in competition to motivate him, the O-Line is playing better and Jordan is way, way, way motivated.

I agree with this assessment. I like Jordon this year. From what I've seen and read about him over the years, he's fiery and competitive. I couldn't wait for him to assume a full time job when watching him backing up C-Mart. The guy has impressed more often than not, so I'm prepared to place most of the blame for his failure on the coaching staff (not a stretch, I know). Hopefully the new regime will put the guy in a position to succeed. If the guy can find a way to play up to his potential, Rhodes will not be eating into his carries significantly.

All that being said, I had pretty much the exact same expectations for Kevan Barlow. :unsure: But I think Barlow's attitude was 80% responsible for his failures.

I think in general...ANY Raider player! :dunno: