Sign in to follow this  
FlaHawker

If You Drafted a QB in the first five rounds of your draft how are you doing?

An interesting debate that occurred leading up to this year's draft dealt with when a QB should be taken. Many people felt taking one early, say first five rounds, was the way to go. Others, like myself, feel it is foolish to draft a QB prior to round 6. In my league, Manning, Palmer, Brady, Brees, Bulger, McNabb, and Hasselbeck all were drafted between rds 2-5. Of those 7 teams, only two currently have winning records and those records are only 3-2.

So how are other owners doing who took one of those QB's (or someone else) in the first five rounds?

I trashed this league pretty much. I assumed the Rams offense was going to roll.

Getting Bulger in the 2nd round was probably a reach, but not as bad.

My 1st pick I went with S. Jackson,

then reached for Bulger.

1-4.

After that I drafted smart, got Romo in one league and Kitna in the other league in rounds 5 and 6. Both 4-1.

I trashed this league pretty much. I assumed the Rams offense was going to roll.

Getting Bulger in the 2nd round was probably a reach, but not as bad.

My 1st pick I went with S. Jackson,

then reached for Bulger.

1-4.

After that I drafted smart, got Romo in one league and Kitna in the other league in rounds 5 and 6. Both 4-1.

SJax has really focked all of us, huh? At least I didn't trade Bush and Housh for him early in the season. Oh wait, I did. :overhead:

I took Brady in the 3rd.. I just felt that since Moss had someone to finally throw it to him Brady would be huge! 5-0 :unsure:

Only thing that sucked is in the 4th round Moss went right b4 my pick so I was stuck taking Plaxico which is still not too shabby.

I ashamed to say who i took i the 5th....ok, it was Cutler, he was my "sleeper" :doublethumbsup: ...but he hasnt helped and i dropped him for Warner...on a good note i picked up Favre in the 8th.

4-1 and took Bulger in the 5th. Even worse, I'd be 5-0 if I wasn't in Mexico a couple weeks back befoore Cadi got hurt and scored the 2 TD's. He was listed as questionable all week so I moved him to the bench knowing I wouldn't be able to check his status that morning. Then to top it all off... not only did I lose Cadi, I played Bulger every single week until he was benched because Cutler wasn't doing so hot either.

Making a pre-season move to acquire Gates, combined with big weeks from Owens, and LT/Edge being pretty steady (although not brilliant) probably saved me though. I'm just now making some trades to help out my RB situation so hopefully I can keep my momentum.

- In my 10-teamer I took Peyton with the 10th pick and luckily FWP was still there on the turn-around, and Edge on the way back in the 3rd....I'm 4-1 :doublethumbsup:

- In my 10-team IDP league I took Peyton at the 9th pick, Henry at the 12th and Thomas Jones :( in the 3rd...I'm 3-2 even after trading away the farm to get a hurt SJax. If he can come back soon, my team will be a late season power house.

Vince Young, round 3. He is on the bench, I am playing Anderson who was not drafted of course. People started taking QB pretty early, someone took Brees in the first round, I feel bad for him.

In my main $ league, it's a one-player keeper, but you can only keep a player for one year. This year I kept Palmer, and then drafted Maroney, SSmith, & Gates. I'm 4-1 with the most points scored so far and won 2 high scores, one of which was a league record. However, some of the other teams aren't doing as well. Another team kept Brees, and they're 0-5. Last year's league champ drafted Brady in the first round and he's 2-3. The worst pick was one guy who took Phillip Rivers in the 2nd round AFTER he kept Eli Manning... :( Unbelievably, he's been able to go 2-3. The sad part is, he lost this past week, but he managed to outscore 6 other teams in the league, even though he has not made one WW move or trade, and he took 3 out of 8 starting positions as goose eggs because of byes.. :lol: (yes, he my league's "That Guy") This immediately resulted in some trash talking by me to the 6 other teams, as I thought that was a pretty pathetic showing.

Next year, I'm keeping Gates and I will NOT be drafting a QB early, unless an unbelievable deal presents itself to me.

Drafted in the 8th position and didn't take a QB until round 7 with Kitna and 14 with Farve.

Currently 5-0...

Here's my first 9 picks...

1) Parker

2) W. McGahee

3) A. Gates

4) R. Moss

5) A. Peterson

6) Brandon Jax <---HUGE MISTAKE

7) Kitna

8) B. Marshall

9) A. Vinteri <---wanted Chicago D

lineup

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 Flex (rb, wr, te)

K

D

Took Manning at 12...and Gates in rd 3.

Top scorer in my league....4-1

BEST PLAYA AVAILABLE!!

I watched in utter surprise as 7 QB went off the board by the end of round 3 in my long time 10 man league, never happened before. Peyton at 1.04, Brady in the 2nd rnd, followed by Palmer to lead off the 3rd round, then Brees, Bulger, McNabb, and Young at 3.10. Romo and Eli went a bit later and I actually waited 9.03 to grab Kitna. In fact, Leinhart went before Kitna did as a backup QB. I was so damned anxious I was gonna pee myself.

1.03 Addai

2.08 Steve Smith (CAR)

3.03 Edge

4.08 Roy Williams

5.03 Gates (couldn't believe it, wanted RB here but couldn't pass him up)

6.08 Lamont Jordan

7.03 Donald Driver (I scared everybody with talk about his injury before the draft...I get Driver every year!)

8.08 Brandon Jackson (my only "bad" pick...I actually picked up Morency in Wk 3 and have dropped BJ since)

9.03 Kitna

10.08 Kevin Curtis

I'm 4-1, my one loss coming this past week when Kitna shiat himself, Lamont (and Rhodes who I got off waivers) was on bye, and when my killer WR all put up squat. I'll probably lose this week with Kitna, Addai, and Roy on bye and since I just traded Lamont/Rhodes/Curtis for Marshawn Lynch/Lee Evans (Lynch not as explosive pts wise as Lamont, but I love his FF playoff schedule and Evans is Mr. November/December, which would be lovely). I can't believe I'm pulling for David Carr to heal, but I need him and Smith to develop some chemistry. If I had it to do over again, I'd have taken an RB where I got Driver (Jamal Lewis or Deshaun Foster were still available) but the Kitna deal couldn't have gone better. I was set to take Ben Roethlisberger later but had to pass because of bye weeks. Everybody except the Peyton owner is hovering around 3-2 or 2-3 for the season but hurting at RB. With my trade, I'll have Addai (and Keith), Edge, Lynch, Morency and Selvin Young (hoping he pans out cause I want to trade him too) to go with Steve Smith, Roy Williams, Donald Driver, Lee Evans and Kitna/Schaub at the helm. I still like that roster.

I waited until the 11th round to grab a qb. I was planning on grabbing one 7th or 8th but a few I liked kept staying on the board so I passed on them until I finally grabbed Hasselbeck and Cutler with 11.12 and 12.1. I'm getting screwed over by the Henry deal (my 2nd rounder) but was able to land Addai for Maroney (1st rounder) and T. Bell before the season started. Thank god for that.

Instead of taking qb's where I was going to (6th-7th rounds) I landed Plax, Braylon and Cotchery in the 6th, 7th and 10th rounds.

Wow, looking at my drafted team I wish I hadn't made so many trades. :dunno:

I grabbed Romo at 7.6 and everyone had 1 keeper.

(keeper - Harrison)

1.4 addai

2.9 Portis

3.4 housh

4.9 tatum all world, long td's, huge chunks of yards, BELL

5.3 jerious break out this year Norwood.

6.9 Cotchery

7.4 TONY ROMO!

8.9 Baltimore

9.4 J.P losman

10.9 Brandon Marshall

5-0 with the highest point total in the league :dunno:

My team is held together by duct tape but the early games were dominated by my Johnson WR tandem so I am 4-1.

Went Maroney 1.12 (14 teamer) then Johnson and Johnson followed by McNabb who really has been disappointing (and I am an Eagles fan).

Luckily I was able to get Lamont in the 6th and he helped me put up good number the first few weeks. I lucked out to win last week because my opponent had Santonio (hurt in warmup!) and was force to play Addai due to bye issues. Des Clark scoring on a 34 yd pass late in the game allowed me to win by 0.40 points.

We will see what happens the rest of the way but before my 4th pick Peyton, Palmer, Brady, Brees, VY were taken.

12 Team money league from work - snake draft - drafted from 5 spot.

S. Jackson

L. Maroney

S. Smith

R. Williams

M. Bulger

I am 4-1 and in first place starting Schaub at QB, A. Peterson (MIN), J. Lewis, L. Jordan, Smith, Roy Will, and Marshall covering the bye weeks. I can only imagine what I could do if I get healthy (Jackson, Maroney, Bulger, Jordan, Lewis).

Here's our 10-team H2H league standings with each team's first QB and draft round. 18 round draft. Keeper league. I can't believe Romo lasted till the 10th. I'm doing ok in 2nd place after taking Hasselbeck in the 5th round and Eli Manning in the 12th round.

1st 5-0 Brady @ 3.05

2nd 4-1 Hasselbeck @ 5.06

3rd 4-1 Romo @ 10.03 !!!

4th 3-2 Palmer @ 2.04

5th 3-2 Manning @ 2.02

6th 2-3 Brees @ 2.10

7th 2-3 McNabb @ 3.02

8th 1-4 Kitna @ 6.03

9th 1-4 Rivers @ 7.10

10th 0-5 Bulger @ 3.04

Conclusion? There is no conclusion, it's only week 6 folks.

12 Team money league from work - snake draft - drafted from 5 spot.

S. Jackson

L. Maroney

S. Smith

R. Williams

M. Bulger

I won't do the typical here but it would be interesting to see your draft...Maroney lasting until 20th pick and Roy until end of 4th? Who was being picked before them?

in one 10-teamer, start 2qb, 3hb, 3wr, te, k, idp, drafted at 1.4:

1-manning

2-palmer

3-TO

4-mb3

5-AD

have since picked up derrick ward, dallas clark, and kenton keith. :bandana:

2nd place, behind guy who drafted:

1-westbrook

2-ronnie brown (we all laughed/scratched our heads.....who knew?)

3-jamal lewis

4-brady

5-moss

Currently 4-1. I drafted 10th in a 10 teamer. Due to keeper situations I took Palmer in the 1st. Maroney was my keeper in the 9th round. Traded down in the 2nd and landed Edge. Drafted Plax and Braylon in the fourth and fifth. they are carrying my team right now.

I'm 5-0 and didn't draft a QB until the 6th round. Everyone else in my league is 3-2 or 2-3. And they all went on a QB bonanza in the end of the 1st(manning) 2nd and 3rd. I chuckled...good luck with that. What's funny is they're all now dropping these QBs, Vince Young, Brees etc. Granted I picked Leinart in the 6th which I've since dropped for Schaub and also picked up Derek Anderson. (And Anderson usually outscores everyone but Manning or Brady.) But at least I didn't burn a 3rd round pick on him.

16 team, total points league, drafted from the 10th spot:

1.10 Ronnie Brown

2.07 Reggie Wayne

3.10 Tony Romo

4.07 LaMont Jordan

5.10 Deion Branch

6.07 Warrick Dunn

Have been in first place for 4 of the 5 weeks so far, the only exception being week two.

4 player keeper, so the first 4 rounds are our keeper players.

Drafted Vince young in our 5th.

he did so well that i traded him last week for Boldin and Kevin Jones.

Obviously someone still thinks he's good.

I took Kitna in the 5th.... it WAS working out nicely until last week!

My biggest bust was Thomas Jones in the 3rd. The dude has done nothing really.

Andre Johnson in the 4th was the player that put me over the top, but I've been in all close games since he went down.

Brandon Marshall in the 12th was my steal of the draft.

1.10 Westy

2.1 Bush (ouch)

3.10 Brady

4.1 Fitz

5.10 Caddy (ouch)

6.1 Coles

7.10 Edwards

8.1 Cooley

9.10 Big Ben

10.1 Tatum Bell (arg!)

3-2. Just barely. Tied for 3rd place.

Coulda had Kitna 3 rds later, Romo 5 rds later, or Favre 9 rds later. My crummy QBs the last few years made me reach for a top 5 guy, but not at the expense of other positions....my poor selections screwed my RBs.

I HATE drafting QB's that early...and this year getting Kitna in the 7th was working out pretty well, last week excluded.

Still the team that won it all last year drafted Manning in the first....and the leading team this year took Brady in the second...so the theory is debatable.

8th pick in a 12 teamer, I got Kitna in the 5th and I'm 5-0

1. Rudi Johnson

2. S Smith

3. Larry Fitz

4. Brandon Jacobs

5. Kitna

6. Adrian Peterson

7. Jeremy Shockey

8. Kellen Winslow

9. Greg Jennings

Dunno order- M Turner, Denver, Dallas, Gostkowski, Crosby

In my league where ints and fumbles don't count for anything, Kitna has been a great value.

As for why I'm 5-0, well some of it was luck but every week someone has stepped up with a big game, always seems to be someone different though.

took Romo in 5. however, i was the last pick in a 10 team snake draft, so he could of easily goine 6.1 instead of 5.10. oh yeah, i'm 4-1.

Brady in 4th round :doublethumbsup:

I'm in 6pt td league with PPR also, Qb,s also get 1pt every 25yds passing

Makes a huge difference vs 4pt Td leagues

So I can see the top 3 or 4 Qb's going early Manning and Brady are out scroing 1st rnders like LJ and LT2

SJax @1.2 <_<

Wayne @2.9

Brees at 3.2 :doh:

Housh @4.9

Jacobs @5.2

Started 0-2, now 3-2, #2 scorer in the league.

Carried by my WR's, Witten :pointstosky: in the 11th, Big Ben in the 12th and ruling the wire with Derrick Ward, Sammy Morris and this week's semi-stud, Jason Wright.

If I can make it to the playoffs, I'm hoping SJax can have a strong finish. I still have Brees, figuring the Saints could rebound (but not depending on it......)

I understand that the RB-RB-RB crowd will deride me for my draft, but I'm in the thick of things to this point and I'm having a good time.

Only unbeaten team in my league drafted Manning round one, and QB scoring is pretty weak in our league. Since the same type of threads are popping up every day reconsidering RB draft strategy, I don't know if this year is really the time to make a drastic shift in your future strats. I'm pretty sure picking Randy Moss #1 overall next year will be just as bad a decision next year as it would have been thought to be going into this one.

Vince Young, round 3. He is on the bench, I am playing Anderson who was not drafted of course. People started taking QB pretty early, someone took Brees in the first round, I feel bad for him.

Haha my buddy also took Brees in the 1st round he is currently sitting at 1-4. I, on the other hand took Bulger in the 3rd round and Romo in the 7th rd and I am currently sitting at 3-2. I look Bulger way too early and won't make that mistake again!