Sign in to follow this  
FantasyBowl33

Why, why do teams do it?

Burress Predicts Giants win

But as Burress walked with his pullalong luggage to the locker room, he now found The Post's Brian Lewis waiting with a question of his own.

"Do you have a prediction for the game?"

"23-17," Burress said.

It caught Lewis by surprise. And they were loading trucks, so it was noisy where he was standing with his tape recorder.

"23-17?" Lewis said.

I called Lewis to ask him why he repeated the score.

"I wanted to make sure I heard him right," Lewis said. "I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding. I wanted to make sure there was no vagary."

"23-17," Burress said.

Then he disappeared into the locker room.

At this point what does it matter? Do you seriously think the Pats need any extra motivation to attempt to win a Super Bowl while securing their place in history?

Plaxico might as well said Junior Seau is a Samoan ###### and that Bill Bellicheat had MUA with Bon Jovi after beating Philly, it would have the same effect.

I cannot believe a player predicted his team to win the SB. I think he just gave the Pats some incentive to win.

They have that 19-0 thing also.

Amazing. Burress predicts that his own team will win - a horrible thing, going into a game with confidence - and it's "bulletin board material" for a team that is practically a machine.

Word comes from the Boston Globe that there is a book in the works for the Patriots' 19-0 season, and that doesn't balance the scales???

Get over it. Suppose the Patriots are gleaning this message board, too, and gathering extra motivational material from all the folks who are predicting a Giants win? Do you really suppose they need it? That would be quite the conversation, wouldn't it?

Player 1: "Coach, coach, look at this. This poll says that only 78% of America thinks we're going to win the Super Bowl."

Coach Belichick: "Well, you see the way it goes. We still don't get any respect. Feed off that, son."

Player 2: "Well, that's nothing. They've only put us in as 14-point favorites. That's not even close to the highest spread in Super Bowl History."

Player 3: "Don't they know who we are!?!?"

Coach Belichick: "Calm down, guys. Internalize that anger; let it come out on the field. We'll show them, both of those people who don't think we can pull this off."

Walking off, Belichick mumbles to himself, Good thing we found something for motivation. I was getting worried.

Or something like that . . .

they can't help themselves. what a bunch of donkeys. I am so sure they will be taken apart very quickly on sunday.

and it will be well deserved for these assmunchers. :thumbsup:

they can't help themselves. what a bunch of donkeys. I am so sure they will be taken apart very quickly on sunday.

and it will be well deserved for these assmunchers. :thumbsup:

agreed. the pats are about to reap what they've sown. :dunno:

I've got a prediction!

I predict that a meaningless blurb such as this will get way to much attention, be over-analyzed, and schmucks like you will actually buy into it and make a mountain out of a mole hill. :shocking:

The Giants need to show some respect for the greatest team in NFL history! If asked, you better pick the Patriots to win. Doesn't 18-0 garner a team any respect these days? What the fock?

I don't see what the big deal is to predict your team to win. Thats what you should be doing. I have a problem when players guarentee a win, which is not the case here.

Jesus, can this sh!t get any stupider? The Giants played the Pats tough and have played very well in the post season. They've earned the right to be confident. I wouldn't want a guy on my team who didn't think they were going to win.

The fact that anyone would consider it news worthy and shocking that a team in the SB would think they're going to win is absurd. It's not like he was talking trash saying they're going to crush them. I hope people actually watched the interview with Burress yesterday. Very respectful and reserved. Some people seem to have a hard time seperating the media hype from reality.

The Giants need to show some respect for the greatest team in NFL history! If asked, you better pick the Patriots to win. Doesn't 18-0 garner a team any respect these days? What the fock?

I think it's pathetic how the Patriots are being disrespected week in and week out - it's out of control. Doesn't anybody know that they're 18-0?!?

Why, next thing you know, the Giants will suit up and actually take the field on Sunday. Imagine, they might actually have the audacity to send their captains to the coin toss, and make the Patriots actually receive/kick the kickoff! :music_guitarred:

But fine, I'll play along. According to what's in the article, at no point does he mention who wins - just the score of 23-17.

Yup, that's the Plax that Steelers fans knew and loved...same dude that spiked the ball after a completion, a live ball.

FWIW, I think Plax is right, 23-17 sounds about right...at halftime.

uuummmm guys, read between the lines...did he give any indication WHO would win 23-17??

as if bc of this comments the pats r like "o before we didnt have to win, but now bc plax predicted something, lets try to prove plax wrong and win this game"...i think they are motivated enough to be where they are...this has no affect on them, and whoever thinks so is ignorant

Exactly. An awful lot of you douches are reading the thread title but not reading what was actually said. Burress didn't predict a Giants win. End of story.

Exactly. An awful lot of you douches are reading the thread title but not reading what was actually said. Burress didn't predict a Giants win. End of story.

It doesn't matter if he did predict a Giants win. So what, who cares. He plays for the Giants so why wouldn't he predict a Giants win? Whats he supposed to think? We are gonna get crushed on Sunday. :overhead:

I have never understood why people get so bent our of shape when a player says this to begin with. It's all just media fodder and the dopes feed into it like it means something. :banana:

the giants cant keep their mouths shut. this has been the case for the last few yrs. Tiki, strahan, burress, shockey.....

although cant say i blame em. they are the underdog. for an underdog to be successful, gotta show a little cockiness and confidence.

i find it interesting that not too long ago coughlin had lost the team. it looked like the giants were self destructing. never would have thought coughlin would bring them to the SB.

even though they are going to get crushed! :banana:

What team is the arrogant team now? Seriously, everyone hated the Patriots because they were always winning and arrogant. Now, this idiot receiver is calling a win against an undefeated team. The Patriots eat humble pie and the Giants don't even have it on the menu.

It doesn't matter if he did predict a Giants win. So what, who cares. He plays for the Giants so why wouldn't he predict a Giants win? Whats he supposed to think? We are gonna get crushed on Sunday. :pointstosky:

I have never understood why people get so bent our of shape when a player says this to begin with. It's all just media fodder and the dopes feed into it like it means something. :thumbsup:

The Giants seem to think they are the better team when they are clearly not better than the Patriots. The Giants hate the Patriots and think they are arrogant when they are in reality very humble. They entire Giants team is full of hypocrites! He should shut up and stop making predictions. He should be in a gym or on a practice field getting ready for the game. All players who give incendiary comments and make predictions are idiots! No one cares what the player thinks; they only care about his production on the field. These players seem to want to cater to their homer fans and work them up with lame arse predictions. This is why I know the Patriots will win the game. They are humble and eat that humble pie that Belichick cooks for them. The Giants seem to truly think they are going to win, which shows stupidity on their part. An 18-0 team is an easy win? The Giants need to remember who their QB is and that he is not Tom Brady. Eli is not worthy enough to lick the dirt off Tom Brady's shoes.

The Giants seem to think they are the better team when they are clearly not better than the Patriots. The Giants hate the Patriots and think they are arrogant when they are in reality very humble. They entire Giants team is full of hypocrites! He should shut up and stop making predictions. He should be in a gym or on a practice field getting ready for the game. All players who give incendiary comments and make predictions are idiots! No one cares what the player thinks; they only care about his production on the field. These players seem to want to cater to their homer fans and work them up with lame arse predictions. This is why I know the Patriots will win the game. They are humble and eat that humble pie that Belichick cooks for them. The Giants seem to truly think they are going to win, which shows stupidity on their part. An 18-0 team is an easy win? The Giants need to remember who their QB is and that he is not Tom Brady. Eli is not worthy enough to lick the dirt off Tom Brady's shoes.

Ironically, Brady had more dirt on his helmet than his shoes. Bet you didn't see that coming??

:dunno:

and it will be well deserved for these assmunchers. :dunno:

agreed. the pats are about to reap what they've sown. :(

:lol:

I was so spot on! Tommy boy laughing at Plax's prediction of only 17 points......putting out only 14 instead. :lol:

Pats reaping the rewards now. :doh:

I was so spot on! Tommy boy laughing at Plax's prediction of only 17 points......putting out only 14 instead. :lol:

Pats reaping the rewards now. :headbanger:

i bet pretty boy blames his fake ankle injury :pointstosky:

I just had to bump this one more time. Pimptdaddy is a funny dude.

i dont normally read his posts but i see that he said the pats are actually humble...

HUH?...what player? brady? hahaha...

wilfolk? haha...harrison? hahaha...seau? (and nice to see these 2 give each other tongue in the 4th when they thought the game was over)....BB? haha...

time for pimp to look up the word humble... :thumbsup:

You have replaced swamp dog as the most consistently wrong poster on the board...

Congrats!! :thumbsup:

Ironically, Brady had more dirt on his helmet than his shoes. Bet you didn't see that coming??

Don't worry Pimp is probably a Giants's fan by now.

What team is the arrogant team now? Seriously, everyone hated the Patriots because they were always winning and arrogant. Now, this idiot receiver is calling a win against an undefeated team. The Patriots eat humble pie and the Giants don't even have it on the menu.

yeah...ok :pointstosky:

Pats reaping the rewards now. :wave:

I can't believe there wasn't more talk about Brady giggling at the idea of the Giants defense holding them to 17 points. That showed much more disrespect than Plax giving out the score. :pointstosky: